Greetings from Aotearoa

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!
Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Greetings from Aotearoa

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:40 pm

Hello

I'm a moderate FOTC fan living in Auckland and have stumbed upon this suitably obsessive-looking fan site.

It's been great to see The Cons go from a two minute spot on some lame late night Kiwi comedy showcase to become a sensationally successful international act.

Happy to help with translations any for weird Kiwisms on the show as well. Jemaine in particular comes up with some obscure references and sayings that would be missed by any non-Kiwis.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: Greetings from Aotearoa

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Chur kiwifruitloop! Welcome!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:39 pm

Chur, indigo

Are you an expat kiwi living in Clogland?

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:14 am

Kiwifruitloop wrote:Hello

I'm a moderate FOTC fan living in Auckland and have stumbed upon this suitably obsessive-looking fan site.

It's been great to see The Cons go from a two minute spot on some lame late night Kiwi comedy showcase to become a sensationally successful international act.

Happy to help with translations any for weird Kiwisms on the show as well. Jemaine in particular comes up with some obscure references and sayings that would be missed by any non-Kiwis.

The Kiwi translations would be great! Just jump in the fray if you hear something particularly Kiwi-ish. :nod:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Kiwifruitloop
New arrival

Postby Kiwifruitloop » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:54 am

tvldiva wrote:
Kiwifruitloop wrote:Hello

The Kiwi translations would be great! Just jump in the fray if you hear something particularly Kiwi-ish. :nod:

I'm sure these things have been pointed out before, but off the top of my head:

- Jemaine's vaccuum cleaner hickey from 'Sally Returns' was allegedly from Judy Bailey. In "real life" she is a former news presenter in NZ famous for her primness and often called the 'Mother of the Nation'

- 'Murray Hewitt' is an amalgamation of ex All Blacks Murray Mexted and Norm Hewitt.

- The Fitzpatrick family that Jemaine seems to have carnal knowledge of in 'Sally' is a reference to another famous All Black, Sean Fitzpatrick.

- up until a few years ago, there really were only 4 TV stations in New Zealand. THey were 'One' 'TV2' 'TV3', and (you guessed it) Prime.

Apologies if this is common WTF knowledge.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:40 am

Kiwifruitloop wrote:Chur, indigo

Are you an expat kiwi living in Clogland?

Nah, just been in contact one way or another with enough of them for the past few years to pick up on some of the less obvious stuff. Didn't know about the Murray Hewitt bit, although I was happy to see Murray wearing an All Blacks shirt in the latest episode.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Return to “Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks”