What are you? A guy or something?

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: What are you? A guy or something?

Postby Faith » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:49 am

Nothing can break that bond formed being stuck on a crappy school bus for hours on end.

A crappy school bus and countless hours marching in the hot sun. It was fun and miserable all at the same time.

ravenhpltc24
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:55 am

Faith wrote:
Nothing can break that bond formed being stuck on a crappy school bus for hours on end.

A crappy school bus and countless hours marching in the hot sun. It was fun and miserable all at the same time.

I remember it all too clearly... considering it was about 2 weeks ago. :roll: Nothing like the annual Memorial Day Parade in 80 degree weather in full band uniforms! :drinkers:

(I love girls in the brass sections! Once you've learned to cope with a thirty pound instrument in your arms at all times, you realize you can do just about anything.)
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:30 pm

My Son being in marching band has been the best experience for him.. You guys are right when you say you create some pretty tight bonds. Its also made him grow and become so much more responsible. He has loved it so much he wants to go to college and major in music! :rock:

If I could do it all over again I would SO be a band geek!! Lol!
ImageImageImageImage

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:50 pm

I was a marching band geek too, in primary school. I was only in it for the uniforms though :roll: What does that say about me, I wonder. I only lasted for a year or so, but I still know how to read music and play the flute :D
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:49 pm

You know band uniforms are pretty cool! But how you all did it in the heat!? Wow! We live in Texas where it doesnt start to cool off till November... I know my Son is usually drenched by end of half time! ICK!
ImageImageImageImage

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Aww, I totally respect the marching band thing. I wish I was good enough at an instrument to be in a band.

I don't do the marching band thing, but I'm a choir nerd :D Yupp, I am pretty much the biggest choir nerd you can ever meet, and I've gotta say I'm proud of it. I love my choir, going to be so sad when I have to leave at the end of next year.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:13 pm

bakergirl30 wrote:You know band uniforms are pretty cool! But how you all did it in the heat!? Wow! We live in Texas where it doesnt start to cool off till November... I know my Son is usually drenched by end of half time! ICK!

Curious; do they make your son do 2-a-days in the pre-season (aka: July/August ) like the football guys ?

Memories..... man did I hate my uniform (our colors were green & white; and no one looks good in head to toe kelly green) We wore t-shirts and shorts underneath ours during marching season cause we stripped down after half time. That was one of the benefits of being in the back where they could not see you. We kinda hunkered down behind the sousaphones :whistle: with our cokes and frito-pie.

And I do recall the 2-a-days in July/August just about killing us. I was on the Tx gulf coast so it was not just the heat but the humidity. Man that built ALOT of character :wink: It was totally worth it because in the Spring semester (Symphonic season) you got to miss school to go to UIL and other competitions.
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:23 pm

songbird wrote:Aww, I totally respect the marching band thing. I wish I was good enough at an instrument to be in a band.

I don't do the marching band thing, but I'm a choir nerd :D Yupp, I am pretty much the biggest choir nerd you can ever meet, and I've gotta say I'm proud of it. I love my choir, going to be so sad when I have to leave at the end of next year.

I miss choir! :( I was in my school choir at high school and I loved it. Music was one of my major subjects in high school and we used to have concerts together with the school orchestra. It was brilliant! I love singing... I should really find a choir and start singing again. It's just.. it doesn't come as natural when it's not in school. Now I have to shop for a choir. I don't even know how to choose one :P

songbird

Postby songbird » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Haha, I know, choir is just amazing. I sing in the Toronto Childrens Chorus, it's an unbelievable organization...I absolutely love singing! I love the opportunities that choirs give you. Like this summer, I'm going on tour with the TCC to Europe to sing with the Vienna Boys Choir and give other concerts and such. I can't wait! I leave in like...a week and a half.

Image Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 pm

Way cool! Let me know if you ever come up north :wink:

songbird

Postby songbird » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:42 pm

I will for sure :D
We're going to Austria, Germany, and the Czec Republic.
(if anybody is actually gonna be in these areas from June 21 to July 5 and wants to see a concert, let me know and I'll send you ticket information...though be warned, this is hardcore choral music... :lol:)

Image Image

RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby RubyRed » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 pm

ravenhpltc24 wrote:Nope, I'm a trumpeteer. :supz: We could get a little musical trio going, though!

Me, too! HA! I started out on the French Horn, then went to trumpet and now I've moved on to electric bass. Last year I inherited my great grandmother's violin and I'd like to learn how to play that...but I'm a little scrrd. No frets. :/

M

bakergirl30

Postby bakergirl30 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 am

DangerMouse wrote:
bakergirl30 wrote:You know band uniforms are pretty cool! But how you all did it in the heat!? Wow! We live in Texas where it doesnt start to cool off till November... I know my Son is usually drenched by end of half time! ICK!

Curious; do they make your son do 2-a-days in the pre-season (aka: July/August ) like the football guys ?

Memories..... man did I hate my uniform (our colors were green & white; and no one looks good in head to toe kelly green) We wore t-shirts and shorts underneath ours during marching season cause we stripped down after half time. That was one of the benefits of being in the back where they could not see you. We kinda hunkered down behind the sousaphones :whistle: with our cokes and frito-pie.

And I do recall the 2-a-days in July/August just about killing us. I was on the Tx gulf coast so it was not just the heat but the humidity. Man that built ALOT of character :wink: It was totally worth it because in the Spring semester (Symphonic season) you got to miss school to go to UIL and other competitions.

Yes! They do.. this week he just did 18 hours in 2 days and now they will be doing the whole month of june and some of july weekly practices. Starting in mid july they will be doing 2 a days! totaling 9 hours a day EVERYDAY until school starts aug 24th! He is so wiped at this point :|
His uniforms are pretty cool they are black and red.And they do wear compression shorts and shirts underneath..and yes they dont usually put any of the upper gear on till about 10-15 mins prior to half time. Its A LOT of really hard work and this year he got into varsity and its going to get a whole lot harder for him! :thud:

Unfortunately they are not allowed to eat AT ALL while they are in uniform :(
So it makes for a really long night! That's him below!
ImageImageImageImage

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:38 am

Those are cool uniforms. So much better than the ones we wore. But you should probably warn him that all these band pics will come back to haunt him in years to come. I've been having some pop up on Facebook from various people and it's been 11 years. :) Like this one:

DangerMouse
Consistently Mediocre

Postby DangerMouse » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:30 am

Unfortunately they are not allowed to eat AT ALL while they are in uniform :(

That's why you take them off when you get your nachos and coke... and hide. If the stadium is not divided you go over to the other side to eat 8) , and everyone just assumes you went to the bathroom :P Wow congrats are in order for varsity; I know that is not an easy feat.

Faith: you just made me very very happy that all the photos I have from my school days were wiped out by the last hurricane (thank you Ike!)
...if anyone needs me I will be in my office doing madlibs...

Return to “Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks”