hello from Halifax, Canada.. I am "part time model"

New to Flight of The Conchords? Or just new to the site and forums? Either way, please take a minute to stop by and say hello. Cheers!
parttimemodelthat
New arrival

hello from Halifax, Canada.. I am "part time model"

Postby parttimemodelthat » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:26 am

dear sherry and forum members,

...hi!
yay I'm so glad that I found "my people" on this forum.
i am so obsessed with what bret and jemaine have created with FOTC. never before in my life have i ever felt so attached to 'stars'. i guess its cuz they are so different and fresh compared to old versions of stardom. 8) swoon!

i'm also a musician and since being exposed to the flight of the conchords i've started
writing my own pop comedy songs, as the persona "part time model".

its really fun, i have 5 songs finished now, that i am performing around town in halifax to much laughter and applause! :rock:
i wrote them from the perspective of if there was a real 'part time model' girl like the one jemaine sings about, and what sorts of everyday issues and problems she would encounter. the song titles are:
'my stalker and me'
'snack attack'
'did it hurt.. when i just biked by?'
'any length for me'
&
'the conditions of love'

part of the reason i'm coming on this forum is that i am really curious whether you think that jemaine and bret would mind that i am doing this spin off act. i've started recording demos of the songs, and i'm going to start working with a producer fairly soon (to add techno beats and get some dance remixes happening).. but i want to make sure that the commun is cool with the idea of me using the 'part time model' moniker before i go too far with promotion. obvs it would be nice to ask jemaine and bret directly but they are likely unavailable..

i was in austin for sxsw last week, and i heard todd barry give a stand up, and then later he was hanging out in the lobby and i truly wanted to ask him opinion but was shy.. dammit! (todd barry on the very odd chance that you are reading this forum post i was the smiley girl who said 'amazing' to you, heh).

i have two of the part time model songs up at a myspace page /parttimemodelthat

anyways. that is my story!
LOOK FORWARD TO MUCH CONVERSATION WITH YOU ALL!

-part time model (aka ann)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: hello from Halifax, Canada.. I am "part time model"

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:01 am

Welcome, Ann! :wave:

I'm glad you've been inspired to write and perform because of the guys. The only thing I would be concerned about would be any infringement of copyright with their song title, and that depends a lot on what kind of exclusivity rights they may have negotiated.
Not being a writer, I have no idea how you might find out about the rights to the name. I'm sure there's a website to go to and ask, just to make sure you have clearance, and then you can record away with a clear conscience! :supz:
I'm glad you were concerned enough to ask about it, and I hope your research brings successful results. :nod:

ps I've been to Halifax - it's beautiful! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Saucy Minx
New arrival

Postby Saucy Minx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:37 am

halifax rocks! I've never been there, but my housemate/bandmate is from there and from all accounts it is a fabboo place and one day I dream of getting dollar drinks at the dome...*dreamy look*

your songs sound awesome you should post clips up here, its like the auditory version of fan fiction, maybe if they're really good you can finagle your way onto their tv series :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Welcome! I look forward to checking out your page. :) No advice other than to nod at what Nancy had to say.

Hope to see you around lots...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

parttimemodelthat
New arrival

Postby parttimemodelthat » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:26 am

Yay thanks for zee feedback :) :)

I will totally start investigating this copyright stuff... part time model is such a blatant reference to FOTC, which I kind of enjoy cuz its silly when bands try to cover up their influences.. like those interviews with bands where the interviewer is like 'umm, you sound like coldplay' and then they are all 'whatever, i never even listen to coldplay' hehe.

None of the songs I wrote actually have anything to do with modelling I just noticed, so I suppose I could call the character something else quite easily. Although that would be funny too, to be called parttimemodel and never ever mention modelling (its like, really really part time).

I think I may start calling this project "Anna Danova" (an alter ego name that I came up for for myself awhile ago, my real last name is Denny..) and make the Part Time Model part more in the description, maybe have it be "Anna Danova aka parttimemodel".. hmmm..

Thanks and yes I'll hang out lots!

Saucy Minx
New arrival

Postby Saucy Minx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:51 am

one time I wrote a song called "six dollar hangover"- I sang it for my bandmates and they really liked it and then I was like "yeah yeah, I was just listening to this other band and I think that where like the influence in this like idea came from in like the tune and stuff..." and then I played them the other song I'd been listening to at the time I wrote six dollar and then we all realized I just took the exact tune from the song that was already written and put my words over it...dang, I thought I'd been so original...

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:38 pm

Ahoy there! It's grand to have you aboard the good ship WTF. Sherry is an outstanding captain, Indigo's an absolutely cracking first mate, and the rest of us sea-dogs may be filthy and uncouth, but we're very friendly, I promise! Mind the bilge and heave-ho, friend! :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Return to “Introduce yourself - Feel free say hello here before posting. Thanks”