North American tour 2009 - general chat

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Re: North American tour 2009 - general chat

Postby dandy lyons » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:50 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:You were!? Did he actually take them off his body in front of you guys and everything? How else would they still be warm by the time Jemaine got to them?

I just tumbled upon that on youtube one night (because I love listening to them live - as I'm sure we all do, duh) and laughed until I cried. Especially when Jemaine says, "Although I don't want to - I'm going to show you what that is" LOL! :lol:

Haha!! No, he wasn't wearing them... if he was, that would have taken talent to get them off... it was VERY crowded and everyone was pushed up against one another... you couldn't move! Plus it was stinkin' hot that day! I reckon he probably had them balled up in his hands or tucked under his arm for most of the performance, just waiting for the perfect opportunity. :lol: It was a great shot too!
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

It was a great shot! It nearly hit Jem square in the face from what it looks like..

Back somewhat to topic - I've gotten the information number for the venue and I am going to call to get the official word on cameras...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Wow, just reading (most of) this thread has made me nervous....

I'm kind of glad I discovered the guys late or I'd have had an ulcer with worrying about getting tickets!

I posted elsewhere but after I found out about FotC and fell in love with them, (thru a link a friend had on MySpace) I sent a friend request and became one of their hundreds of thousands of friends. I found out about the 8 pm concert but I was too late....sold out except for the $300-$1,000 tix from scalpers. :shock:

A few days later, I got a bulletin from the Conchords at MySpace telling about the second show and how there would be a fan club presale and that the password was ANGELS. I was sitting at the computer for an hour on Ticketmaster.com that morning, constantly refreshing til I could get tix. *sigh*

Now, I lie in bed worrying about the camera issue....whether we'll be waiting in the right spot to meet the boys as they exit the Fox after the show....any number of things to worry about.
I'm just so excited. :D

I can't remember who it was back on the first page or close to it, who hoped they'd do a fan club presale- and that's exactly what they did! :) I hope everyone who wanted to see them was able to get tickets.....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:56 am

Most people here made out very well, thanks to the presale password given to us before the presale day. I was never, ever more nervous than I was before ten am that morning, and I'm a performer!!! :shock: :nails:

One thing I really, really hope - unless the guys ask the audience, PLEASE don't scream out song requests! :pray:
There's a chance they'll ask what they should play, but unless they do, :silence:
I lucked out in NY last year, the audience was great the night I saw them, but by the time they got to the West Coast (where my daughter saw them), people were screaming and shouting requests instead of listening to them banter. One of the best parts of their show is their talk in between songs, and to miss it because of song title shouting is just sad. So don't do it, okay? Let's show them how polite 7 thousand people can be! :shock:

Okay, enough of my cheerleading for now. :cheer:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:01 am

I know what you mean Nancy. The audience did a little of that at the show I went to also. The guys seemed annoyed by it. At one point some drunk girl asked them to sing an Australian song and what Jemaine sang back to her was funny but you could tell it peed them off.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:23 am

I think what audiences tend to forget (or ignore) now the guys and their songs have become so well known is that most of the older songs started out in a live comedy/music act. It was not known to the people who went to see it. Same as when any other comedian takes a new show out on tour, people don't know the punchline beforehand. They waited for the set to unfold in anticipation and laughed along and heard the banter inbetween.

As soon as the Conchords TV show took off and people knew all the words to all the songs and started singing along, they lost the surprise element and also had that familiarity that meant that people just wanted to hear stuff they knew. They didn't really care about the live act and only wanted to hear HBO TV series redux. Forget the live act has some amazing funny banter and changes night to night depending on where they are, how the are feeling and just what Jemaine forgets or flubs :lol:

I think it spoils the act for the guys as they have a set list, material worked out for inbetween and then to have the crowd yelling out for them to play songs they maybe don't have planned or want to play. This tour I am not expecting them to play old stuff, I'm hoping it'll be all the new songs from S2 and maybe a couple they held back. And that people actually listen to their act rather than yelling out for a greatest hits.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:04 pm

While I sincerely hope the audiences won't be as vocal as they were sometimes last tour, sadly I think it's kind of a losing battle. The pre HBO show thing doesn't hold water anymore. People know them from the TV show now. Not only were the songs familiar last time but the banter was as well. They are going to need to rehaul their act in order to get a different reaction. I can't imagine that the S2 songs are going to be the primary focus of this tour, there simply aren't enough of them so I think it will be a show with plenty of oldies thrown in. I remain intrigued by Bret's mom's comment that they were working on an act that would translate better to larger venues. Whatever they do I trust it will be awesome.
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Heck, I hope they come out and actually tell the audience to please not yell out song requests- to just sit back and enjoy the show they have planned. :)
I'm pretty vocal in telling people to shut up in the movie theater, so I doubt I'll have any probs here, either.

It's such a large theater, I really hope the yelling-out doesn't happen. :( That would indeed suck.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm dying for people to post show reviews. The tour starts in what, two weeks? MY show isn't until near the end of the tour, boo hoo. I have a long time to wait.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 am

LauraK wrote:Heck, I hope they come out and actually tell the audience to please not yell out song requests- to just sit back and enjoy the show they have planned. :)
I'm pretty vocal in telling people to shut up in the movie theater, so I doubt I'll have any probs here, either.

It's such a large theater, I really hope the yelling-out doesn't happen. :( That would indeed suck.

Me too. I think you and I should take it upon ourselves to yell a loud "HUSH!" if people start heckling/yelling.

It's obvious it annoys them, why would people do it anyway?

As Jem would say, "HEIGHT of rudeness". :roll:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:54 am

I would think Bret's Mom may have hit it on the head - because of the larger venues, this show probably should be approached differently from the one we saw last year. Maybe more production values (multimedia for the new songs, possibly a band/backup singers? Oh my God, my dream job!!! :D ) that would shut up the unrulys, and keep the show moving. :dunno:

Whatever, as SW said, I have faith that they'll put a fine show together, and we'll have fun letting them sing and banter. :nod:

Even if it's along the same lines as last year's show, they've had another year to prepare snappy comebacks to shouters, so hopefully people will shape up, and the guys'll have a good time as well. :pray:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:02 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Even if it's along the same lines as last year's show, they've had another year to prepare snappy comebacks to shouters, so hopefully people will shape up, and the guys'll have a good time as well. :pray:

I'd be afraid snappy comebacks would just encourage people to shout out *more*, so they could tell people that the Conchords responded to them.

This is kind of a weird tour, because they are doing some large venues, like Red Rocks which seats 10,000 (eek!), but still some smaller ones as well, which seat 2500 or so. I wonder if the shows will be different, according to the venue.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:11 am

Hmm. Our venue seats 5,000 ish. Kind of in the middle of the really large and small venue.

I would really hate to see a backup band or backup singers. I would like the show to keep the same intimate feel as last time. Even though I know that this feel is kind of what facilitated all the heckling and yelling - I would prefer to feel like it's just the guys and I, sharing an intimate show together (with some rude hecklers). Just a couple of guys with guitars rather than feeling like I'm watching a rock band perform with a whole big production.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:19 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:I would really hate to see a backup band or backup singers. I would like the show to keep the same intimate feel as last time. Even though I know that this feel is kind of what facilitated all the heckling and yelling - I would prefer to feel like it's just the guys and I, sharing an intimate show together (with some rude hecklers). Just a couple of guys with guitars rather than feeling like I'm watching a rock band perform with a whole big production.

I agree, but on the other hand I want to remain open and receptive to new things they might want to try out. One thing I like about them is how multi-faceted they are.

I think the place I'm seeing them at seats 2700. I'm kind of psyched about that, despite what I said above. Plus, Arj is the special guest. :thumb: Anyway, I've never even seen them before except on youtube so what do I know. :rolleyes:
Last edited by mockingbird on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:25 am

mockingbird wrote:
I agree, but on the other hand I want to remain open and receptive to new things they might want to try out. One thing I like about them is how multi-faceted they are.

Yis well, as a general rule for my life: I fear/avoid/move against change at all costs :lol:

I would say something about the opener for my show but it would be a spoiler and I've learned my lesson! :silence:

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”