North American tour 2009 - general chat

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: North American tour 2009 - general chat

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:31 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Yis well, as a general rule for my life: I fear/avoid/move against change at all costs :lol:

I can certainly undestand that. But, there's no growth without change.

kellysouthpaw wrote:I would say something about the opener for my show but it would be a spoiler and I've learned my lesson! :silence:

I thought it was public knowledge... I hope I didn't spoil it for anyone! I think I just saw it on a list somewhere - *I* certainly don't have access to any secret information! :lol:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:34 am

No, it was a comment ABOUT the person who is opening that's a spoiler for s2. And I fear that even saying who is the opener will give too much away.

I've already said too much *paranoid*

:silence: :silence:

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 am

I have a good feeling about the show. I am sure whatever direction they choose to take the show in it will be great. :boogie:
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:16 pm

I'll be going to the same venue I saw them at last year. It holds about 3,000 I think. Last time I thought it was too big but having seen how big some of the venues are this time I'm happy to be at one of the smaller places. Plus with 2nd row seats for one of the shows I sure as hell won't be complaining about anything. :D :D :D

I'd love to see them do a full lounge act like the FTW version of Mermaids.
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Oh I don't mean to sound like I'm not incredibly grateful they're touring or coming to Michigan or anything like that. And I'm going to enjoy the show no matter WHAT they do.

I just would like to feel like it's just them and us is all.

Paperkid
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Paperkid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:37 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
This is for the Detroit show April 24th. I'm really excited. I'm really trying to brainstorm on ideas of how to get my camera in...

I smuggled a camera in to every Aerosmith show I ever attended in the late '80s, early '90s. Here's how:
1. For a couple shows I took a throwaway camera and left it in the box with the cardboard tag sticking up that helps it to hang on the rod at the store. I took that tab and stuck it down the back of my jeans at the small of my back, tucking all under a shirt that you tuck in. Since the small of your back curves in, it's barely noticable and if they actually pat you down, they're not going to pat you back there.
2. When I took in my real camera, I tied the strap up short, slipped it onto my arm/shoulder and tucked the camera in my armpit. I then wore a jacket. So even if they make you open up your jacket to see that you're not bringing stuff in, just don't open it up completely and they'll never see the camera under your armpit.

Silly, I know, but it worked every time. Plus, there are always camera phones and they don't take your phones away. Of course, some places I've gone the security guards will chase you down if they see you taking pictures but that was rare.
Paperkid
And people are like paper dolls,
Paper dolls and people, they're the very same shape

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:12 am

SheWolf wrote:I'll be going to the same venue I saw them at last year. It holds about 3,000 I think. Last time I thought it was too big but having seen how big some of the venues are this time I'm happy to be at one of the smaller places. Plus with 2nd row seats for one of the shows I sure as hell won't be complaining about anything. :D :D :D

I'd love to see them do a full lounge act like the FTW version of Mermaids.

Oh my gosh, if they did Mermaids, that would be so cool (note signature! :D )

Thinking back over the songs from Season 2, I would think they'll need some sort of percussion machine to do things like Hurt Feelings and Sugalumps, for example. (Maybe a little pre-programmed percussion?? :dunno: )

I think they'll have some new toys for the show(if Jemaine has his way, many Omnichords! :wink: ), and that will be so much fun. :boogie:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:13 am

Nancy Hillner wrote:Thinking back over the songs from Season 2, I would think they'll need some sort of percussion machine to do things like Hurt Feelings and Sugalumps, for example. (Maybe a little pre-programmed percussion?? :dunno: )

I think they'll have some new toys for the show(if Jemaine has his way, many Omnichords! :wink: ), and that will be so much fun. :boogie:

I get the feeling they'll either go for a backing band (maybe like the one they had on Folk The World) and will work arrangements out that fit with those instruments or go for whatever they need to have the songs sound as they do album/TV show wise.

I'm hoping the former as I think it gives the songs a fresh twist and more personal even in a larger setting.

Also don't forget that many of the old songs were written and performed by only the two of them when live. Studio versions came later with all the gizmos and widgets added on. So I think the Conchords can have lots of these new songs stand up to being performed with a more minamalistic approach.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Sherry wrote:
Nancy Hillner wrote:Thinking back over the songs from Season 2, I would think they'll need some sort of percussion machine to do things like Hurt Feelings and Sugalumps, for example. (Maybe a little pre-programmed percussion?? :dunno: )

I get the feeling they'll either go for a backing band (maybe like the one they had on Folk The World) and will work arrangements out that fit with those instruments or go for whatever they need to have the songs sound as they do album/TV show wise.

I'm hoping the former as I think it gives the songs a fresh twist and more personal even in a larger setting.

Also don't forget that many of the old songs were written and performed by only the two of them when live. Studio versions came later with all the gizmos and widgets added on. So I think the Conchords can have lots of these new songs stand up to being performed with a more minamalistic approach.

I've heard a couple of the s2 songs done live from the last tour. And they sound fine to me :) I think they do have some sort of pre-recorded percussion that they can start and stop as needed...that's what it sounds like/looks like from the audio/youtube clips I've heard

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

they're SO talented, creative and spontaneous, i'm sure they have all sorts of plans and shenanigans tucked up their sleeves. i'm curious to know how a "2nd show in one night" setlist will differ from the 1st show...and how looser or wackier they may be. you know, first show might be a little more planned or scheduled, perhaps the 2nd show, they'll cut loose and throw caution to the wind? will be interesting to see... can't wait!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:01 pm

ardy wrote:they're SO talented, creative and spontaneous, i'm sure they have all sorts of plans and shenanigans tucked up their sleeves. i'm curious to know how a "2nd show in one night" setlist will differ from the 1st show...and how looser or wackier they may be. you know, first show might be a little more planned or scheduled, perhaps the 2nd show, they'll cut loose and throw caution to the wind? will be interesting to see... can't wait!

I was thinking that. I've heard that in tours past when they've done 2 shows in one night that the setlists have been close to identical. I've also heard that the first show has been a little more trimmed and there's been less room for improv because there's such a tight time table to get the first show out and the second show seated. So I think the 2nd will have a much looser feel. I'm excited for them both! It's also going to be a first date for me, so I'm also nervous! YIKES!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:47 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
ardy wrote:they're SO talented, creative and spontaneous, i'm sure they have all sorts of plans and shenanigans tucked up their sleeves. i'm curious to know how a "2nd show in one night" setlist will differ from the 1st show...and how looser or wackier they may be. you know, first show might be a little more planned or scheduled, perhaps the 2nd show, they'll cut loose and throw caution to the wind? will be interesting to see... can't wait!

I was thinking that. I've heard that in tours past when they've done 2 shows in one night that the setlists have been close to identical. I've also heard that the first show has been a little more trimmed and there's been less room for improv because there's such a tight time table to get the first show out and the second show seated. So I think the 2nd will have a much looser feel. I'm excited for them both! It's also going to be a first date for me, so I'm also nervous! YIKES!

Wait....the person you're bringing/meeting is a first-date?! :supz:
You are adventurous, aren't you? :D I think it's going to be an awesome first date!

I hope you guys are right about the second show being a bit looser...maybe even longer. :pray:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:44 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote: It's also going to be a first date for me, so I'm also nervous! YIKES!

first date as in PoliSci professor mr.handsome first date? :o
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:02 am

Amanda wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote: It's also going to be a first date for me, so I'm also nervous! YIKES!

first date as in PoliSci professor mr.handsome first date? :o

Oh man, I can't tell you how hard I wish for that :pray: :love: :rolls:

No, it's a guy who is basically like my male twin. We get along really well and we have a lot in common. When I mentioned that I was first going he told me how jealous he was (I didn't know he was a FOTC fan before this). So when Steve bailed, this guy was the first one I thought of...he's pretty excited. It was his idea to make it a date though, :dunno: but I really like him so it's fine with me! :D

But oh man Amanda, you have no idea how much I wish it was Mr. Dreamy PoliSci Prof going with me...I still have one extra ticket *mischievous grin*

It's just going to be a bit weird...I'll feel awkward squealing in delight at the sixy things Jem and Bret say... LOL

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Oh I don't mean to sound like I'm not incredibly grateful they're touring or coming to Michigan or anything like that. And I'm going to enjoy the show no matter WHAT they do.

I just would like to feel like it's just them and us is all.

Don't forget they had a backing band for their live stuff on Folk The World and it sounds so good with those little flourishes and extras. And not at all detracting from either of them. I think if they did similar for this tour it would work really well.

Don't think band as in guitars, drums and keyboard. Think brass section, double bass, guitar and a few other slightly less common instruments. The sound in most of the venues would really carry those instruments well and really add to the atmosphere.

IMHO

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”