May 10th Show In Vancouver!!

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
cameramansrevenge
New arrival

Re: May 10th Show In Vancouver!!

Postby cameramansrevenge » Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 am

I just got back from the show I'm making this brief because its 12:12am and I have to wake up at 4:30am to get to the airport. It was awesome, and there was a meet and greet, I got my poster signed and a picture with each of them and one with Arj Barker, they were extremely nice.
I'm just in my hotel now so I can't post any pictures, but I don't have any good ones from the show because the security was really strict about the cameras. I can't remember all the songs they did at the moment, but someone did paint a picture of them as dolphins and passed it down the rows to them, which was pretty funny. I should at least try to go to bed now, but I don't think I'm going to sleep because I'm so excited!!

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Mon May 11, 2009 9:36 am

Hi I am back! WOW!!!!!!!!!

Ok I am about to go into Word and start my recap. I will do my best but my mind is a jumble.
Today has been one awsome moment after the next and I am just so glad they came out! Thanks to everyone who put their thoughts to Vancouver! It worked!!!

Back in a bit!

:supz:
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 am

Amazing!!!! The rebirth of the meet and greet!!!! I am so so so happy for you!

Can't wait to hear the recaps! And see the pictures!!!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

M-DOG

Postby M-DOG » Mon May 11, 2009 9:47 am

Kay, He was so sweet. The whole time I am waiting I am saying to myself..."don't get tongue tied like you did when you met Weird Al, say something charming and witty mouth!"
So we get up to them and I say "How are you enjoying Vancouver?"
What part of that is adorable and witty? NONE OF IT.Lame. LOL
But I did redeem myself when I said I was a pro photographer (Forgot to bring my camera, using my wittle camera lamo-phone) and Jemmy says something totally awesome about technology (that I can't remember because that little file in my head of THINGS JEMAINE HAS SAID TO ME has apparently been formatted. Anywhoo... I said " yes, 1.5 megapixels is the way to go! everyone will be using it! (or something like that. like I said. wiped clean!)
Ok Off to write. back in a bit!

M-DOG

Postby M-DOG » Mon May 11, 2009 11:17 am

Oh Kay. This is long but I am an Internet Savant! Tee hee

My husband Steve and I came over from Nanaimo Last night and spent today tooling around Vancouver! We are staying a block away from The Centre at a B&B so Steve says, "let’s go check out the venue". Sure enough we came around the corner and I saw tour buses! Yay!

There was a pub on the corner and we were meeting a friend soon at the center so we decided to have lunch. We sat on the Patio (yes there is a reason for this boring build up!)
I was enjoying my strongbow and blabbering on about something totally useless when out of a little black car hopped Jemmy.

My reaction…of coarse…spit Strongbow out my nose. Just so you know, it does in fact suck to have cider come out of your nose.

Jemaine looked around and goes in the Centre.

We continued enjoying our meal and I looked up. Arj and Jemaine were walking past us.
My reaction. Make eye contact with Arj and look like one of those wall plaque mounted singing bass…mouth flapping up and down (DIES)
Arj says something to Jemaine.
They both start to laugh. (I am going to assume for my sake it was because of something they had just been talking about) LOL

SO we finished our meals and decided to wander down Robson until meeting up with a couple of friends. We are talking and there is Nigel beside me taking photos. He was just wandering around completely anon and I am sooooooo shy, as he walked away my friend Amie laughed because she knows I wanted to say Hi.(Wow this account makes me sound really bad. I am just so shy! Blast)
I didn’t get the nerve up to say anything and I figure (same goes for earlier with J & A )
I am not going to go chasing after them. This is THEIR time to chill, calm before the storm so to speak. So cool to see them in person though!

Onto the show…

The boys are amazing live! I had heard that before, but you have to experience it for yourself. The youtube vids do NOT do them justice and the sound was incredible.
Bret and Jemaine (and Nigel) are really stunning musicians. The harmonies were mouthwatering.

They started with “Too many Dicks” and the disco balls were on!!!
Bret…prisint. Jemaine…prisint. Nigel…prisit. OMG HOT Disco Cod Pieces…Prisint!

The Vancouver audience was very polite. They actually were trying to draw out some heckling! I found that very charming.

Stana…Stellar,
Jenny…Joyous,
The bus driver’s song…adorable
If you are into it…ravishing
I’m not crying…moist ;)
Foux de fa fa…Brava!,
Distant Future…trippy
Most beautiful girl…prostituty,
Mutha Uckas…smooth(ie)
I told you I was Freakie…Squee!
Sexy Lady…Sexolicious
SugaLumps…snake-hippy
Business Time (loved it but poor J didn’t want to do it again LOL)
and the encore was…Bowie…bodacious

I am having a hard time remembering the set list in order (that damn file formatting again) but the only songs they didn’t do that I missed was Demon Woman and Ladies of the world. My favorite being Fashion is Danger but I don’t think they have done that one live yet.

In Freakie Jemaine messed up his bit at the end. So they tried it again, he messed it up again! It was awesome (but you didn’t hear that from me) and Bret started playing slower. Hahahaha Jemaine thanked him and then he got it. Swoon.

The banter between them was so wonderful. These guys (ya I know you all already know) deadpan is the foshizzle.

No Gold Pants tonight ladies. It was a strange ending. They came out for the encore, did Bowie and then left again. I figured they were going to come out again but the house lights came up! I am not sure if they asked for that or if the venue just figured it was over, but haven’t they been doing one or two encores with at least a couple of songs? There was a point when someone had yelled out Bowie. Bret and Jemaine said they would do that later for the “surprise” ending. DISCLOSER: I heart them. Well… they confab for a moment and then say, “Oh we have a plan for that!” Now this is making me think gold & zebra so I am wondering if they would have come out if everyone hadn’t started leaving?
Oh well. I am still so reved up!

We came out.
My friend used to work at the Centre as an usher. She suggested we wait out back by the stage door to meet them. We went back into the alley. A bit skeevie if you ask me and this guy came up and started asking for money. My husband had given him a slice of pizza earlier so we figured he was harmless. Well he started threatening Steve when he said he didn’t have any change and only had plastic. The guy said “ lets go buy me a pack of smokes. Don’t make me get down on my knees or I’ll go crazy.”And then starts mumbling things about hurting us. So we moved over toward the large group of witnesses. I mean other fans.

We waited for about 45 min when a really nice guy who works there came out and we started chatting with him. He said the guys were still in the green room and we should go to the buses. He said they would be coming out that way. (I told him he was so on my Christmas list) Love that guy!
We went to the buses and Arj was outside! Nigel came out next and then about 11:15 B&J came out. We met some really nice people tonight and meeting the boys was such a blast!
Bret is very, very kind. And Jem…I love my husband more than life itself, but ooh Jemmy! When Steve was taking me and Jem’s pic, Jem leaned over and mumbled something to me. I turned to him and said “pardon me?” and he smiled and shook his head. So cute! I wish I knew what he said!

Well… Steve is snoring beside me, and I should probably start getting some zzzzzzz’s myself. Farewell WTFers. I feel I have finally been initiated into something amazing.

Good luck to everyone at the next gigs. I am crossing fingers for M&G’s

M-DOG
xxx

M-DOG

Postby M-DOG » Mon May 11, 2009 1:09 pm

OOps. Totally forgot to mention Arj. What was I thinking? I really enjoyed his set. He did come out for a quick drive by rap in Too Many Dicks. Sorry that was not worthy of his awesomeness.
zzzzzzzzzzz...

:doh:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 11, 2009 1:15 pm

:supz: :clap: Oooooooo, what an amazing experience! Seeing them beforehand like that's pretty wonderful- and you were cool not to say anything.

(It's hard to type with Jemaine staring at me like that.....) :o

I bet whatever he mumbled to you had to do with face-making. He's a fan of posing in the pics. But since you didn't hear....you got a normal faced Jem! Nice.

Good Lord....who took the staring pic? Was it that close up?

Bummer about the lack of golden and zebra pantsed guys.....that's what needed asking at the M&G, :lol: "Jem, are you wearing golden pants under those jeans? May I see??" :shock: JK!

Where's the Bret pis? Arj and Nigel? I'm looking forward to more.....Great accouunt and I'm so happy for you!! :D

Oh.....how was Sugalumps? Where were you sitting?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:23 pm

So glad to hear you had a great time! I loved your story but this part:
M-DOG wrote:We continued enjoying our meal and I looked up. Arj and Jemaine were walking past us.
My reaction. Make eye contact with Arj and look like one of those wall plaque mounted singing bass…mouth flapping up and down (DIES)

takes the cake!
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 pm

M-DOG wrote:
The Vancouver audience was very polite. They actually were trying to draw out some heckling! I found that very charming.

xxx

Great recap M-DOG and so excellent that you got a meet & greet and such great photos! I'll bet there will be many more Canadian shows for the guys next year. To actually want heckling, you Canadians are too kind. Note to self=see show in Vancouver or Toronto next tour
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon May 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Awww. M-Dog. Im so happy for you, your entire experience sounds so great. The pic with Jem is awesome. You look so cute, your smile couldnt be any bigger or your eyes any happier. Oooooo, its makes me so so excited to meet them, so far 3 shows & no meet n greet. This gives me hope again. I cant wait to meet them.

Please write again if you remember any other details...Thanks for the great recap.

Karen

p.s. its pretty cool that you gave them their space when you had the chance to meet them earlier :clap: what a class act you are.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

M-DOG that's SO amazing! And I also want to say great job on giving them their space pre-show. THAT was way cool. I wonder if Jemaine remembered you at the m&g from before in the shop? I also love that the meet and greet was on...please keep 'em up guys!! :pray:

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks for sharing. That was fun to read!

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon May 11, 2009 3:28 pm

keep the recaps and the pics coming! Just because we have a month's worth of tour stories doesn't mean we don't want to hear it!

Dandy, can't wait to hear from you- the day you had in van planned was perfect, and hoping the show was all it lived up to be! I am dying to find out if Jem recognized you!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Dragonflie
New arrival

Postby Dragonflie » Mon May 11, 2009 4:35 pm

OMG!!!!!
Best night ever. First- M-Dog- I was in line with you (I had on the tights that you said you liked)!

Second- during Sugalumps Bret went into the crowd and was right in front of me showing me his lumps, then....... HE TOOK MY HAND AND WE SEMI-DANCED!!!!!!!!

Also they did the meet and greet- Jemaine signed my Sugalump underwear as "Jemaine was here"!

Too cool- I am still buzzing!!!!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Dragonflie wrote:Jemaine signed my Sugalump underwear as "Jemaine was here"!

:roll2: That Jemaine... :roll2:

Also - I saw a clip on youtube where Bret jumped onto the partition between the stage and the crowd it looks like, and he was shuffling along it and he fell! Poor Bret-y :goodman: But he got right back up and went right back to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYNhLRn3Mk

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”