May 10th Show In Vancouver!!

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Dragonflie
New arrival

Re: May 10th Show In Vancouver!!

Postby Dragonflie » Mon May 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Yes, he fell (kinda). Then he took my hand/tried to get me onstage/tried to get me in trouble!!! They had this stupid partition up that left a gap about 2-3 feet wide between the stage and row 1.
Last edited by Dragonflie on Mon May 11, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon May 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Aw I see you in that video then! Awesome! :clap:

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon May 11, 2009 5:17 pm

That was awesome! I would love to see that from a bit further away too.

Dragonfile, you did very very well up there. Nice try with the jump to get over the barrier! The whole thing was very rock star :supz:
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Mon May 11, 2009 5:37 pm

Hey guys! Sorry for the wait, but as M-DOG said, last night's show was truly amazing! I went with 3 friends, Sara, Emily & Val. My friend, Sara, is from Portland (visiting this weekend for the show) and she couldn't believe the difference in audiences. It's a smaller venue of course, but we're quite laid back and tame compared to many other US audiences (I guess I'll see for myself in Seattle tonight!) As M-DOG said they had to "coax" us to yell things and even then it was mainly cheers. A few people shouted song requests when they asked us what to play, and one woman yelled "Voulez vous couche avec moi ce soir?" but only after a bunch of people requested "Foux De Fa Fa" (to which, of course they replied "yes, get a backstage pass from security and we'll sleep with you after the show" LOL!) VERY strict with cameras though, so I didn't even attempt. Polite Canadian audience + small venue = good times for all! The guys did quite a bit of banter about their previous time in Vancouver, which of course got some good laughs. They did loads of older songs - maybe 3 or 4 new ones tops!

The stage at the Centre is curved and they had the orchestra pit barricaded off. My seat was front row on the far left where the stage and barricade met... perfect placement for Sugalumps! Speaking of which, Jemaine came right over to me and of course put his sugalumps in my face and pointed me out yelling "I see you looking at my sugalumps!" then searched for any other female in my area (we were few). Then he goes to stand on the barricade, which is totally unstable and it starts to move so me and the guy next to me grab it while he's standing on it. Jem was wearing the two-toned shoes I love too! Woo! ;)

Arj was out talking with fans outside when we exited the theatre. It was raining so everyone was huddled under the overhang that runs the length of the theatre. We waited a bit and edged our way over and started chatting with Arj. He said he'd love to spend more time in Vancouver, but would be back prolly in the new year. He left to talk to more people and the next time we saw him he was loading all his luggage onto the bus. After a bit Nigel came out and loaded some stuff too. The crowd thinned out a lot as people got rides, taxis and eventually walked home. About 30-45 mins later a security guard came out and told us to form a line (which we really had done anyways due to rain) and then the guys came out. We were standing middle of the line, so we just waited our turn. People didn't really hang around after they had met the guys, so the group kept shrinking.

Bret made it to us first. He looked very tired and was motoring through.... we didn't keep him long. (he finished up the M&G quick and got into the van and drove away) Bret asked Sara's name and started to sign her poster "Sarah" automatically. When Sara said "Oh! No 'H' actually" he looked up at her all worried like he has ruined her poster (prolly felt a connection since he gets 'Brett' all the time) We automatically said in unison "That's OK we can switch!" He looked at me and I said "I'm Sarah with an H!" He said "really?! You're kidding!... What are the odds?". We told him we'd be in Wellington this July and he ended up signing her poster "See you in Wellington". When he went to sign my poster he kept questioning my name. I told him I had ID if he didn't believe me. LOL! He said we'd have lots of fun in NZ. We got a photo, thanked him and he continued on his way (poor guy, so exhausted) Bret is a good hugger. Squeezed me good:

We waited a bit as Jemaine was making his way down. Everyone in front of us was gone except one dude who was chatting with him about Calgary Stampede. Jemaine kept looking over and we'd make eye contact but I kept looking away. Sara was cracking up at our awkwardness. The dude left and Jemaine swiveled over, looks at me and kinda does this little crouch with "finger-guns" to me and said giggling "I recoknise you from myspace!" I think I covered my face and said, "yeah... a couple people have recognised me from myspace. It's... weird." He laughed and Sara piped up "She's famous online!" Jemaine said with a smile "Oh, we can take you down if you want." and Sara yelled "NOOO!!!" I think I told him people might be very upset if that happened. I asked him to sign my poster and when he un rolled it he looked at what Bret wrote and exclaimed "Is that your real name?!" (like he was really excited to learn my real identity) I said, yeah, you can write that name or anything you want. He said "I just wrote my name... did you want me to write something else?" (Yeah) He paused...."umm... What do you want me to write? I'm drawing a blank". I said I dunno and asked Sara what he should write. "It's dandy time!" she said. Jemaine laughed and scribbled on my poster. Next I asked for a photo. He put his arm around me and I said, "can you please make your left hand into a 'C' shape?" He looked confused so I dropped my stuff and made a heart sign. "Like this" He giggled and as our photo was taken a group of girls behind us all said "awwwww". ( :lol: too cute!)

After Sara got her photo, I thanked him and raised my hand for a high five and he said "Oh Yeah!" and high fived me, then turned to high five Sara too. (High fives all around! Yusss! ;) )

At this point it had stopped raining so we went to look for Nigel to say "Hi" and pick his brain about places to see in Welly. (We totally spaced when talking with Jemaine.) Nigel was standing kind of in front of the front entrance talking to a guy so we waited off to the side. When the guy left, Sara went over and and introduced us and told him we were fans of the WIUO. He asked how we knew of them and we said we had friends in Welly who kinda introduced us to them. Then we told him we were heading down next month but would miss their Winter show. He told us they'd be touring North America next year sometime. He wasn't sure if they'd make any Canadian dates, but if they did, Vancouver would be one. We chatted about other projects he was working on back in NZ, places to go in Welly (Havana's, Matterhorn, Cuba St. etc.) for a good 10 mins and noticed Jemaine had just finished up with the last fans and came right over to our little circle (Me, Sara, Emily, Val, & Nigel) and said! "I recognise ALL you guys!" giggling again. Nigel said right away, "These three girls are going to be in Wellington next month, but won't be there for the uke orchestra show". "That's good timing" Jemaine said, laughing. We continued to chat a bit about places to go and see, then the security guard tapped Jem on the shoulder and said he was going to leave if that was ok. Jemaine stepped out of the circle, thanked him and saw him off then returned to the conversation. By this time we were the only ones out on the sidewalk. We must of talked for a good 10 minutes about skiing and wineries and historic villages. Nigel and Jemaine seemed quite relaxed and in very good spirits... almost like they didn't want to get back on the bus! (don't blame them. They've been driving for 2 days straight). We eventually said our goodbyes, waved and headed back home.

I'm SO glad I decided to chat them up about Wellington and it wasn't weird at all. AND that we got to have actually conversations with them. It was one of those "one off " nights that won't happen again, but I reckon it had a lot to do with the vibe the Vancouver concert goers were giving off... they seemed quite comfortable. It was a flippin' fantastic evening, I'm still grinning ear to ear. All the guys are so gracious, sweet and friendly.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Mon May 11, 2009 6:14 pm

WOW, dandy lyons, your encounter was beyond AWESOME, to keep them in conversation for such a long time, you lucky, lucky, lucky x 1,000,000 girl! And those photos :yay:
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Mon May 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Awwwww... You guys! Dandy that was a great recap! You are so right about the good vibes last night! I love your pics! I totally wish I had brought my camera now. Oh well next time!
The pic with the heart hands is way too awesome! Good for you!

I have other pics but that will have to be later. My tummy is growling.

Dragonfile - It was great to meet you last night! I love that that was you during Sugar Lumps! Once in a lifetime!

xxx
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 11, 2009 6:48 pm

Dragonflie- thanks for the great account- how exciting!! As soon as I'm done typing, I'm heading to YouTube to see you! :) (For a more compact guy, Bret seems to be a bit on the clumsy side, yeah? He does tend to trip a lot onstage....)

Ohhhhh Dandy......you have one of the awesomest m&g tales. I love all of your pics, most especially the one of you and Jemaine doing the hand-heart.....awwwwww! indeed! :heartbeat: Nigel's got that come-hither look down! Bret looks so cute smooshing you up against his beard, lol! And Arj....what a cutie. I love his dancing-blue-polar-bear hoody! :lol: Just getting to hang with them and have a normal conversation is really terrific. I'll bet they appreciated it, as well. :)

What a fabulous night!

M-DOG, yes....more please. We never tire of the details...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Ohhhhhh! I didn't like seeing Bret fall like that! I bet he's bruised today.....:(

So Dragonflie, you're the redhead? Gorgeous hair, btw. :D Bret's such a tease......:comehere: and then "whoa, whoa, whoa!".... :lol:
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Mon May 11, 2009 7:16 pm

YAYAYAYAYYAYYAYYAY!!!! Dandy I knew that they would recognize you! How fantastic is that!?!??!!??! How lovely is it that Jem actually took notice!

What a great meet and greet story too! The giggles, high fives, and arguably the best picture with Jemaine, ever! (well, one of, LauraK your's is rockin too). It sounds like you got some really great info for your NZ trip as well... and now, you don't have to go diving behind park benches or into random cookware stores if you see them.

Thank you so so so much for sharing it with us!!! Really truly awesome.

I didn't know you will be going to the Seattle show too! Can't wait to hear your reviews of that, especially the American-Canadian crowd difference...
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

monsterinlove
New arrival

Postby monsterinlove » Mon May 11, 2009 7:44 pm

WOW what a fantastic evening! Arj's set was very funny. He did a lot of really funny stuff that I'd never heard before! He was AMAZING! And of course Bret and Jemaine (and Nigel!) were beyond words. They were so funny! The crowd was nice and tame. Everyone seemed to be so relaxed and attentive! Between songs some people would call out and Jemaine would point at them and say things like "BAM! Shut up!" It was so cute! Yeah someone painted a picture of their heads on dolphin bodies and (I think) Bret said "Oh, Jemaine, that will look lovely in your living room!" And Jemaine said "I have absolutely no idea what to do with this, but thanks..." Then he made some comments about how most musicians get underwear thrown at them but they recieve intricate pottery and other various crafts. I loved all of the extra french phrases Jemaine and Bret threw into Foux de Fafa, a nod to us canucks perhaps? Yeah I thought the show eneded rather abruptly too. but maybe that's just because I didn't want it to end.

After the show, my friends and I wandered over to the stage door in the sketchy back alley, after a while we decided to try the front. Arj Barker came out soon after we got there, we snapped a pic with him and Nigel. They were both very sweet. When I was waiting in line to see Bret and Jemaine, Arj walked by and I smiled and him and he gave me a big grin. I heard Bret telling the people infront of us that he was tired. And that was an understatement. They both looked exausted. I was so impressed that they stood out in the cold rain for so long just to meet fans. Bret was very nice and he wrote "present" on my band meeting shirt. Jemaine was so sweet. But he was a lot bigger and he talked a lot quieter than I expected him to. It was so funny, the moment he saw my friends and I, he asked if we were in a band. And we actually are! It was so cool! He must be psychic or something. He said that we just looked like a band. So he just asked us a bit about our band. I wanted to say something witty, but I was just trying to downplay the fact that I was shaking. He let us take about a thousand pictures with him. Group pictures, individual pictures. Haha, as we were about to leave. He jokingly asked us if we wanted to do any new formations. And he wished my mom a happy mothers day. It was so INCREDIBLE!

Jemaine signing my t-shirt on my back!

Jemaine said this could be our new band photo. haha!
"You love the talking stove!
'Aww let's make a cake!"

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Mon May 11, 2009 8:38 pm

Yowch! - poor Bret :( - and he does look tired as well <mother hen emoticon>

But fantastic photos from everyone! Lucky Conchords, meeting up with all you gorgeous ladies :wink: - and you've all got such great, personal stories to tell. Thanks for all these accounts... I hope to be lucky enough, one day, to return the favour :pray:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon May 11, 2009 8:47 pm

Omg. Your meet n greets with the guys are AMAZING! You guys are sooo lucky & im jealous beyond words. :prayer:

As I was reading the details (really special ), my heart began pounding harder & faster. The words started to blur, thought Id pass out. Ive never read so fast. It is so exciting I cant imagine it. I dont know how you are functioning after that, I'd just die of happiness. Im not sure that I would be able to utter a single word. Just being at the shows, being in a room with them for 4 hours made me ecstatic for days on end. I know that I would totally dorke if I had the chance to meet them. Im just so excited & happy by every single thing that they say or do.

Thanks for sharing, Im so so happy for you guys, its amazing!
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

monsterinlove
New arrival

Postby monsterinlove » Mon May 11, 2009 9:50 pm

He also wished us good luck with our band, he was so incredibly sweet. But it didn't feel real at the time. Especially because I watch them on tv and youtube all the time, I know this is a given, but they look exactly like they do on tv. It's like they just stepped out of my tv screen and started talking to me. It was so surreal. I'm kind of sad that I never could fully grasp that he was like actually there, if you know what I mean. It was just like the show, except Bret wasn't naive, and Jemaine wasn't rude, and they responded to all the stupid things I say when I watch the show. It felt like I could just go and make my inside jokes about the show with them, but I had to stop myself and think, wait these are real people, when you watch tv, they don't watch you back.
"You love the talking stove!
'Aww let's make a cake!"

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon May 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Yay, monsterinlove-great account and pics! I want to tell Jemaine "Put that coat in the back of your closet and give it to your son in 14 or 15 yrs....it's too small for you." :lol:
I kid.....I know, he's got his arms up and all....
That's a very sweet expression on his face. :0 And you guys all look sooooooooooo happy! :D
ImageImage

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Mon May 11, 2009 10:22 pm

What a wonderful story, Dandy.. I'm so jealous and at the same time SO happy for you!! He recognized you, the cute hearts picture..and then hanging out with him and Nigel talking about NZ.. to say Way to go, girl..is an understatement :prayer: :yay: :whitey:

And thank you too to all the others for writing recaps and posting pics! Thank you for sharing..so glad you all have beautiful memories of that night :D
Last edited by Amanda on Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”