May 10th Show In Vancouver!!

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
monsterinlove
New arrival

Re: May 10th Show In Vancouver!!

Postby monsterinlove » Mon May 11, 2009 10:26 pm

haha, actually even when his arms were down, the jacket looked about the same. Such tall people must have trouble getting clothing thats long enough for them. It's a really nice jacket though!
"You love the talking stove!
'Aww let's make a cake!"

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon May 11, 2009 11:45 pm

OMG Dandy, you legend!! :prayer: What a wonderful encounter! It's so cool that he recognised you and you all engaged in a good conversation, amazing! And I LOVE the picture of the hand heart between you and Jemaine- it's just too cute!
Thanks M-Dog for sharing your account too- that was really considerate of you to not bother them before the show and feel free to post more details as you remember them. Plus you still managed to take great pics on that camera! Monsterinlove, that's so sweet of Jemaine to wish you the best in your band, glad you had a great time too. And Dragonflie, lucky you getting the chance to semi-dance with Bret! And I just watched that video of Bret falling, poor guy but he still looks adorable and carried on like a true rock star :supz:

Aww poor Bret being tired, I can imagine that the guys must be pretty exhausted at this point.

I'm so glad everyone had a great time! :yay:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Dragonflie
New arrival

Postby Dragonflie » Tue May 12, 2009 1:24 am

LauraK wrote:So Dragonflie, you're the redhead? Gorgeous hair, btw. :D Bret's such a tease......:comehere: and then "whoa, whoa, whoa!".... :lol:

Yes that's me! (thanks) I know, Bret took my hand and he was actually pulling me, and motioning with his other hand like- come on over-

The guy sitting next to me got a vid of it- but he wasn't sure if it turned out- and my husband got no clear photos :( . He had been told by security to put the camera away early in the night. Once Bret was showing us his sugalumps I tried to get the hubby to get some shots- the rest is a bit of a blur.

Bret was on the rail slowly shimmying and showing us his lumps. He wobbled a few times- then he fell over- it looked a bit on purpose- but I don't know. So he was in the pit- I popped my head over to see and he was on the ground face up. Then he kind of hopped up and put out his hand. He was right in front of me and looking right at me but I was frozen for a sec- then I think my husband nudged me (I can't be sure) so I took Bret's hand. He held it and started pulling. Then he danced and motioned for me to come over- so I tried (the rail wasn't that high). Then of course he went "Whoa Whoa". So I was thinking am I delirious, did I just think he was trying to get me over because I'm a crazy fan. But the guys next to me all said they saw him try to get me over.

Then of course there was the M&G. Arj came out first. He was soooooo nice. I was near his bus- when he got in the bus he waved at us (the windows were tinted). So we waved back- then he popped his head out the door and waved me over. He just talked about how he was checking to see if we could see him in the bus and how he was having a great time for his first show.

Then Nigel came out- then Bret and Jemaine. Bret did seem to whip through pretty fast but he was really nice. Jemaine was great- so friendly and we had a little banter regarding his signature on my sugalumps underwear "Jemaine was here".

Arj was really great as the opening act- really funny. The guys started right after Arj- no break in between. They were great (of course) but it did seem like the crowd was more subdued than they were used to.

I will post some pics once I get them uploaded- most came out blurry so :(

Otherwise everything was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel sooooo lucky. :biggrin:

It's cool to see pics now and think- hey I talked to that girl in line- I saw that girl at the show.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 12, 2009 1:56 am

Dragonflie- Bret is viry cheeky...he does that to someone at each show during Sugalumps and early on, one woman almost got tossed for real, lol! Bret had to lean down and tell them no, he was only kidding about security coming to get her! :lol: If you have the time, check out some of the videos of other shows....but you were one of the Chosen Few! :D
(I do worry that he got bruised in that fall....)

Hey, even if your pics are blurry- please share them! Lots of ours were too.....but there are also a lot of really nice ones, too. Check the front page for some of those.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Dragonflie
New arrival

Postby Dragonflie » Tue May 12, 2009 2:19 am

Yes, I've heard he does that alot.

I deliberately hadn't watched any vids of previous shows because I didn't want it to taint my experience in any way (I know- I'm a weirdo). Now that the show is over :cry: I will be watching videos like mad. Trying to relive the experience. Also trying to invent a time machine to go back, relive the experience - and add many witty/clever things to say.

M-DOG- it was great to meet you too. You and your husband were so nice. I'm glad you guys had such a great experience. (Did you know the other couple that was right between us in line- they were going to Seattle next?)

I will post pics- also of the merchandise we got signed.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 am

Yay! :clap: Thanks so much for sharing, everyone. :D Such great stories.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 am

Those stories are BEYOND amazing, and dandy I just KNEW that Jemaine was going to recognize you! I KNEW IT! That is one of THE BEST meet and greet stories I've EVER heard ... the one thing I wish for next time is that I can have a meet and greet experience like yours - just in a small-ish circle having a big discussion with Jemaine and Bret just talking about whatever. That'd be so awesome :D I'm so happy for you all that got to meet them! And I'm glad to hear that the show was great and everyone was well behaved :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 am

No, You're not a weirdo, Dragonflie. Lots of peeps stayed away from gig accts and vids for the same reason. I should've cuz now my own memories of our show are kinda jumbled up with others I've seen but it's all good!

And you got such a unique experience by being the grabbed-girl.....:) Anything new you remember...please let us hear about it! :)
ImageImage

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue May 12, 2009 4:12 am

Great accounts! I loved reading those. Dandy, how wonderful that he recognized you before you even talked to him! He must be very sharp to notice these things, considering all the people he must meet.

jackvancouver
New arrival

Postby jackvancouver » Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 am

Hey people of WhatTheFolk, My name's Jack Zhang. I was the guy out front of the Centre holding the sign that says "Will Perform FOTC Songs for Spare Tickets". I was in a Insomniac Games shirt and using a Canon HV30 HDTV camcorder on a tripod. You might recall that on the 08 tour, a LA fan held a sign saying "Will Dance Robot For Spare Tickets". I was very much inspired by that.

I'm glad that all that got in had a good time. I unfortunately didn't since I didn't get in.

But I saw you Dandy, and even filmed you taking a picture. I have filmed the whole adventure that I had that day (in HD) and posted it on Vimeo (edited the first 2 Jemaine pics posted by M-DOG in this thread into my video.)

I wept all night after heading home after the show started and no one had tickets for me, only one kind samaritan said "Maybe". :'(

I have no idea how much sympathy people here would have for me (I guess is very little), But I consider myself one of the hardcore fans and not getting in is true heartbreak.

I think I need a hug...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 12, 2009 7:04 am

Aw {{{{Jack}}}}

Sorry no one had a ticket for you- why didn't you come back after the show for a chance to meet them? You would have then succeeded!!

Your video quality was quite good and I loved how you edited in the Conchords clips.... :) You're a good lip-syncher, too. Well done!
ImageImage

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 am

Don't feel bad, I didn't get tickets to see them in concert when they were in my area. (Although I must say, I didn't try as hard as you did.) I'm sure you'll get to see them eventually. Hopefully, with all these sold out concerts, maybe it means they will be back again sometime. (Laura didn't they say "We'll be coming back." to you guys in Detroit?)

You are very creative by the way.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue May 12, 2009 7:27 am

Awww. ::gives hug::

Jack, we're pretty much in the same boat. I'll be doing what you did the day of the show. Except, my weapon will be cold hard cash.

Just remember, hardcore fans don't give up. I'm sure they'll be back. I wish you luck for next time!
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

jackvancouver
New arrival

Postby jackvancouver » Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 am

All the fear around the TV show being cancelled was what drove my "band splitting" fears, and that there might not be a next time...

jackvancouver
New arrival

Postby jackvancouver » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 am

vmh wrote:Jack, we're pretty much in the same boat. I'll be doing what you did the day of the show. Except, my weapon will be cold hard cash.

I was expecting a "free" ticket in doing this, since if money is exchanged, it's kind of like scalping. I don't want to be scalper bait.

Also, the guards didn't mind me at all, they only didn't want the scalpers to stick around.

why didn't you come back after the show for a chance to meet them? You would have then succeeded!!

It would have been way too late, I had to go back home via transit (Skytrain), and it gets kind of dangerous going it alone at those hours that they would have ended the concert at (and a little parental concern at home about a safe return was also a factor). Plus, it started to rain.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”