concert etiquette - discuss

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
ardy
Redheads not warheads

concert etiquette - discuss

Postby ardy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:14 pm

i'll be the first to admit that i cannot sit still/down during parts of a concert where the energy of the artist(s) transcends into the audience. keyword-->PARTS< of a concert, not the whole show. it's just not possible. i'm usually up and dancing or bobbing or keeping time, smiling, happy, enjoying it. especially when the artist(s) onstage is encouraging you to get into it. doesn't happen all the time, or even all thru the show, but there are times when it's obvious, they WANT you up and jamming or rocking out. i'm not overly demonstrative with arms or legs...or singing loudly/badly....or woooooo-hoooooooing incessantly. and, god no, i'm am NOT that person who yells out song requests or whistles ridiculously at pauses in singing, nope, not at all. can't imagine why anyone who paid good money for a ticket would just SIT during a (for lack of a better word) danceable part of the show. but i have seen it happen and it's mind-boggling. you're up and respectfully dancin/jammin/rockin in your little square of personal space and three people down from you, you're getting "why don't you sit down!" looks or taps on the shoulder from the people behind you, "....um, would you sit?" to clarify, i don't mean standing the entire show...just during the fun parts and, of course, towards the end of a show or during an encore - i think it's a way to show the artist(s) your appreciation.

herein lies my dilemma......

at the upcoming FOTC shows, do you feel it would be out of line to be standing and enjoying yourself during the more rocking-out friendly selections? i don't mean to stand the entire show or be up and swaying/singing along to 'albi' or 'jenny'...but if they play 'she's so hot, boom' or 'sugalumps' or 'business time'...sorry in advance but i'm up out of my chair. i won't be able to *not* stand up, clap along and enjoy it. does anyone have an inkling of how bret & jemaine react to patrons up on their feet, thoroughly enjoying the moment? again, i think it's a great massive demonstration of affection and appreciation to an artist on stage for an audience to stand up and have a blast.

how about you? how do you feel about this in general?
for those who've seen FOTC live, what's their audiences like?

i saw a youtube clip when bret actually jumps down in front of the people in the first rows and *everyone* was seated....not that they should've mobbed him but it looked like they were at a meeting, not a gig. *shrugs*
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Re: concert etiquette - discuss

Postby tvldiva » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:03 pm

I don't mind dancing around or even singing along with the songs. This is suppose to be fun.

My problem comes with the ones who think they are above social etiquette. The excessive woo-hooing is annoying but worst is the constant song request. :roll: Just because someone else shouts something out, doesn't mean everyone gets to! If they ask for a request, that's your que. Got it? Good. :supz:

Also, people, turn off your cell phones! If your waiting on a call that is that freakin' important, stand at the back of the hall and leave when you get on the phone. :waiting:

Common courtesy is all I ask. If the guys are singing, it's quiet time(singing along is ok-no random talking or phone calls please). And as clever as your friends and family think you are, it is their concert, please respect that. Shouting out "clever" remarks during their show is called heckling and not very clever. :hrmpf:

If your going to dance, try not to block the stage for those who might not want to stand up and dance. It's a personal choice just try and respect that. Also, some of us are just short, that's just a genetic thing. :worry:

There are my 2cents, for whatever that's worth. :eyebrow:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:29 pm

Ardy - since I know in advance you won't be blocking my view of Jemaine (you'll be in the other section in front of Bret-y!) - I have no problems with you dancing ;) You might hear me cheer for you or something.

I just don't have the cahounas to get up in the middle of a performance and dance. I'll probably jam in my seat to the "jammier" songs, but I doubt my rump will leave the chair :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Yup, I believe I'll stay seated unless I notice people behind me up on their feet. I don't want to block the view of the peeps behind me.

Now, I've never been to a concert before, only some orchestral performances. If I were going to see Metallica or the Moody Blues, I'd be on my feet for sure! I guess I'm just going to go with the sheep mentality and see what the rest of the crowd does..... :oops:

I did read somewhere here at WTF that Jemaine and Bret don't really care for the singing-along, and have gone so far as to have the sound for them- onstage- turned quite loud, so they can't hear the audience. So, I plan to try not to do it.......and if I can't help myself, I'm not going to be loud about it. Whatever little comments and improvisations they make- I want to be able to hear them- not me. (Or 4,500 other peeps.) :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:59 pm

I think the thing for me is that because its comedy, done with music, I don't just view it as a gig per se. I can't recall hearing or seeing people in years gone by all getting up out of their seats and dancing and so on. It has tended to be people remain seated, watch, listen, laugh, clap etc but not really dance.

The guys don't just have a set list they work through, but also the banter between songs is (for the most part) scripted to some degree. Although they can and do ad lib as and when.

I don't know, I just don't treat is as a live gig like I would when I see a non comedy musical band/singer. Yes its music, yes the Conchords sing, but its also comedy. Its a really hard thing to find a balance with and I tend to think dancing during a Conchords song just doesn't work. I think it detracts from what the show is about. But thats me personally. Its hard to explain, but the Conchords are comedy and music. I just don't see how that works for dancing, even to the funkier numbers. Unless they sound like they are lifted from the album, in which case thats not the Conchords gig for me :lol: :roll: I like the more personal, classic touches like a string and horn arrangement or just the two of them.

It really depends on what kind of set/backing band etc they use. If any. I cannot imagine dancing to them just playing their guitars or a keyboard.

Also it would piss me off if I wanted to remain seated and watch/listen to the show but others stood up further in front, therefore forcing others behind them to stand and so on. The knock on effect would happen perhaps. And not all of those then standing would be doing so because they wanted to dance but doing so so they could see.

TBH if you want to then go ahead. But I would not expect people to be doing so. What I know and have seen on more recent clips is that people tend to remain seated generally.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Yep, that's what I meant. Metallica's strictly a musical performance- jumping, dancing, clapping is expected. But with the Conchords, it's more of a comedy/musical presentation. I've not noticed any dancing or people out of their seats in any of the clips I've seen......

Sherry, do you remember where the quote by....I believe it was Jemaine, was at here regarding the audience singing along? I'll look again but it was late when I read it and now I can't find it.....
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:10 pm

LauraK wrote:Yep, that's what I meant. Metallica's strictly a musical performance- jumping, dancing, clapping is expected. But with the Conchords, it's more of a comedy/musical presentation. I've not noticed any dancing or people out of their seats in any of the clips I've seen......

Sherry, do you remember where the quote by....I believe it was Jemaine, was at here regarding the audience singing along? I'll look again but it was late when I read it and now I can't find it.....

I believe they find it weird. But said differently. And I don't think they really enjoy it when it happens. The show isn't performed like a band band. It has a very different feel I think. Hence singing along and song requests not really sitting well.

I can imagine it'd be weird and frustrating as people know the punch lines. But thats what happens when all the material is used on the TV show :lol:

It'll happen again with the new songs I am sure. Unless the guys make them different so people are thrown.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Ardy, I think you're going to be just fine. It's not exactly a concert - I know I'll be irritated if someone keeps jostling me or making a lot of noise when I want to hear what the boys are singing/saying - but I think you can absolutely have fun with it. The only problem I'll have, personally, is if anyone near me is neglecting to pay attention to the feelings of those around them. It's just common courtesy not to disrupt the enjoyment that other people are having, even though they may not be as obviously audible or physical in expressing it. Not that I'm suggesting that's what you'd do, Ardy! I just know I've been at comedy gigs that have genuinely been spoiled by people who don't give a toss about anyone's experience but their own.

Aside from the usual mobile phone ban, the only other plea that I'd make is to make doubly sure that your camera is set to NO FLASH. This is seriously important, and not just for etiquette's sake. If your camera flash goes off in the middle of the gig, you can totally disrupt Bret and Jemaine's concentration, as well as possibly creating real safety issues for the boys. Also, and if the former reason doesn't seem important to you, you have to realise that your pictures will be terrible. Most compact cameras (i.e., the only kind you'll be able to sneak in to the show) have a flash range of not more than 10 feet. This means that no matter where you're sitting in the theatre, your flash will only be lighting up the back of peoples' heads and bleaching out and blurring the rest of your shot. It will look dreadful. You may see other people who don't know any better using their flash, but don't be tempted to follow them. You'll just look like a wanker.

Instead, just set your camera to its automatic flash-suppressing mode, and when you take a shot, make sure you take a good deep breath and hold still while you press the shutter button. This will make sure your pictures come out beautifully clear and focused. Believe me, the lights on the stage will be more than adequate to light the guys. Have a look at these two shots I took at the Black Seeds' gig I went to last November. In the first one, I forgot to suppress the flash, and as you can see, it's a piece of crap:

But then when I switched off the flash and kept very still while I took the shot, it came out clear and velvety and atmospheric:

See? Keep that flash off, my friends, and you'll have awesome pictures, I promise! :D

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:45 pm

I'm not taking chances...I'll be taping over my flash to be safe. :) Your second pic came out great, turnip.

Thanks, Sherry. I told Tom today that if I had the balls, I'd jump onstage and ask everyone to just sit back and enjoy the show and to please not yell out song requests or sing along......maybe they could get Eugene to instruct the audience in a funny but nice way! :D

Here's something I found from an interview with Bret fom 2007:

AVC: Do you still enjoy performing live?
BM: We haven't played in a really long time, so it'll be interesting getting onstage and trying to remember the songs. I'm concerned that the crowd might know us too well at this point. The YouTube people might be correcting us.
AVC: Do you ever have people sing along to your songs?
BM: The last time we played in New York, people started singing along. Last time we played was in December of last year, after the HBO One Night Stand had come out, and the audience was singing along—too much. It became a little bit of a classic hits concert. It was terrifying. If you get to see us, you won't believe it compared to the days no one knew us. And the strange thing is, the audience sings along, and they sing the jokes. It's not particularly funny any more, it's just like singing along. It's a new type of performance which we haven't really tried, so we'll have to figure out what to do with that. We'll try it out, and if it doesn't work, we'll just never play live again.
AVC: Really?
BM: Yeah, just disappear.

Here's a terrific blog about audience participation with the Conchords and it being taken too far:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/ ... aukee.html
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:58 pm

I think it was disconcerting for the guys to have their punchlines yelled back at them by the audience. Its not really happened before as the material was always new when toured overseas from NZ. People were not familiar with it and were happy to sit back and be entertained and to laugh along.

I'm with the blogger on this. I hope people are more resepctful of what the Conchords are about and actually listen to the songs and banter rather than singing along too loudly or calling out.

I do feel it detracts from the show and also throws the guys off. Although they bounce back, it can get annoying if you have people yelling out all the time.

Also I just think audiences in larger venues tend to be more vocal. The smaller more intimate venues they used to play, comedy clubs and so on really didn't lend to people yelling out or singing along. You didn't need to then, you could just be close enough and bask in the glow.

Bigger venues make it far more impersonal hence I think the heckling, singing along and shouting out all happening more.

Plus for some reason being on TV seems to make people thinktney know you and have some kind of rights to stuff. Its a weird thing but it does happen. Familiarty breeds contempt sort of thing. Only not contempt. Something else my head cannot find a word for right now.

I told hubby the other day, if the Conchords tour the UK I'd like tickets. But if they play big venues then not to bother. I'd only really want to go if it was in the hundreds or low low thousands. Anything over 1500-2000 people would put me right off.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:16 pm

I have my fingers crossed that most of the fans are respectful and will behave.

I think you're right. It's like- familiarity breeds a false sense of familiarity. :|
ImageImage

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:31 pm

They don't like audience interaction, from my experience. That includes yelling for them to play your favorite song. They seemed rather angry about that.

Austin
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Austin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 pm

It's a two-way street. Maybe the audience did pay 30+ dollars to see the guys and have a good time. However, that ticket states that you are seeing "Flight of the Conchords" and if they wish to have more limited crowd interaction then tough cookies.

IMO, if you want to hear your favorite song, and they don't play it within the first 10 minutes, don't yell it out for the rest of the show, and just go buy a CD or do a YouTube search.
They call it a fly because it takes you up to Heaven

I lurk left.... a lot.

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 pm

this discussion is great. good points and info all around...

i understand this is far from a traditional 'concert'...i've been to so many full-on band concerts, i've lost count. i've stood on my tiptoes several times because of the 6'5" guy in front of me wanted to stand the whole show. i've dealt with seat jumpers, people doing drugs *right there* and i've had beer spilled on me plenty of times. i've been near the group of drunken frat boys screaming out for the band to play their only radio hit, while they high-five and puke on each other. it will be odd to be seated but i get it. it's not the stones, U2, pearl jam....it's bret & jemaine and i respect them completely. please please please know that...i'm not "that guy/chick"... i never yell out requests, i respect the space of others, i'm appropriate, discreet, tactful, i truly don't want to have their babies, i'm not even sure if i'll bring my camera and i don't claim to be their biggest, bestest fan. it will be difficult to not toe-tap or clap along, but i can control it. i'll up my medication for the performances, so i won't be tempted to move too much, haha. but i WILL, mark my words, i WILL give them a heartfelt and sincere standing ovation at the end of both shows because they will deserve it. i just hope i won't be the *only* one doing that...
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:38 pm

No one was up and dancing at the show I was at and if someone was and was right in front of me frankly I wouldn't be too pleased.

This conversation is funny thought coz honestly I've never felt like busting a move to one of their songs anyway, much less in public. :o :lol:

Just remember it's a comedy show above all else.
Last edited by SheWolf on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”