concert etiquette - discuss

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: concert etiquette - discuss

Postby LSully9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:37 pm

bibliaddict wrote:I hope they were an exception and the audiences chill out as the tour proceeds. Otherwise, I'm bringing a taser... :yawinkle:

LOL! I'm from Philly. I have no problem beating up any hecklers sitting near me. :wink: :lol:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:09 pm

Awesome. We'll be a good team then coz I just mentioned on the Tampa thread that hecklers might not want to mess with the Wolf of She.
90% evil
ImageImage

bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm

That's it, we should offer ourselves to the guys as a security detail. We could get cool shades and earpieces and keep our hands under our jackets like we're armed & dangerous!
Spandex Inspector #12

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:21 pm

bibliaddict wrote:That's it, we should offer ourselves to the guys as a security detail. We could get cool shades and earpieces and keep our hands under our jackets like we're armed & dangerous!

Flippin AWEsome idea :)

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:01 am

bibliaddict wrote:I'm very disheartened by the reports from Tampa. :shock: Why do some people think if they pay for a ticket, they can behave like animals?

I hope they were an exception and the audiences chill out as the tour proceeds. Otherwise, I'm bringing a taser... :yawinkle:

Dude, I'm with you. I don't know if it's because I'm dog tired today, but all of those reports coming out of Tampa have me feeling totally disenchanted with the prospect of having to share air with yahoos like that. I just... I feel embarrassed to hear that. I'm an easy-going root vegetable, but I'll go beet-red if I have to endure the same sort of shiteweasles at the Toronto show. It reminds me of going to see plays as a schoolkid, and just feeling so mortified by the rampant assholery of the other kids that I wanted to crawl under my seat. I loathe being represented by other peoples' crappy behaviour.

What's the best way to deal with it, do you think? I'm not sure trying to shush drunken berks necessarily gets you any joy - I've seen it escalate when someone tries to shout down hecklers, and there's piss-all you can do about jerkfaces sitting in another part of the venue. But maybe my WTF peeps have super-secret tricks to get the people around them to keep their wankerism to a minimum. Sully? How would you handle it, my gig-going expert? Set me up, girl. :yawinkle:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:17 am

ideally, unruly/disturbing/heckling/inappropriate patrons are supposed to be dealt with by the ushers/staff of the venue. but.................i've rarely seen work out successfully. especially when the so-called fan is 100 lbs. heavier and 20 years older than the usher/staff member. it would be nice to count on the venue but i wouldn't bet on it.

i also wouldn't count on the 'classiness' of the venue intimidating anyone into silence. some of the most ridiculous behavior comes from people with money... oh, did i say that out loud?

unfortunately for the (true) florida fans, these first few shows will be test-runs. maybe after orlando, word will travel fast to enough of us that, by a show of solidarity, *we* can remind "that guy/gal" to control themselves.

here's to trying, anyways.....
be safe people..... :D
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 am

On cue, all the WTFers shout at the jerks,
"WTF says that's enough!"

*Sorry, I just got carried away with the shades and earpieces idea* :oops:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 am

Now, now. Shouting back at the hecklers can sometimes just prolong the problems.

Here is my solution- paintball guns!!!

With us WTFers all around the theaters, when someone shouts something stupid out- shoot them!
They will be marked as an offender for ridicule after the show is over.
:seesaw:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:21 am

Much better idea! :wink:

I really don't know of any tried and true method for stopping jerks from acting up, but I suppose I'd get the management/ushers.

Really though, people, just let the guys do their show. Please. I'm asking nicely. :eyelashes:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Yes please do us a favour guys and teach those silly hecklers a lesson on behalf of us all (but don't get chucked out yourself in the process!) ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:26 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote: But maybe my WTF peeps have super-secret tricks to get the people around them to keep their wankerism to a minimum. Sully? How would you handle it, my gig-going expert? Set me up, girl. :yawinkle:

Philly is pretty much famous for bad crowds. I mean, we booed Santa! So, depending on which venue you you're in, the security/ushers may be a little more strict than others. As I see it, there are 2 options for dealing with annoying neighbors.

Option 1: take care of it yourself. Last year, a fist fight broke out behind me at a BonJovi concert during a power ballad ('You Wanna Make A Memory' which was one of my fav new songs. Super romantic). If I remember correctly, someone got a little too drunk and friendly with his neighbor's girl and the neighbor didn't like that. Security took about 10 minutes to get there and drag out the idiots. So, while physical violence might probably be the quickest and most effective way to silence the idiots, but it would also cause you to miss a good chunk of the show...

Option 2 (and the better option) is to get your usher to do the dirty work, that is their job after all. Be friendly and nice to the usher in your area. But not obnoxiously friendly or "friendly," because they see right through that (I was at a show a couple weeks ago and a lady flashed the usher in attempt to get backstage. Please people, this trick does not work and will only get you laughed at by the ushers and the audience the rest of the show!) But for the most part, if you're nice to them, they'll treat you nice too, especially since most people seem to treat them pretty crapilly. While they're directing you to your seat, make small talk: talk about the weather, find out if they like the group (or have ever heard of them), joke with them. The goal is to make yourself memorable in a good way (see "flasher" for an idea of what not to do). Once you've established a friendly relationship with your usher, they may do you small favours, such as correcting nearby obnoxious people.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Sully, you are a wonder. Your description of Bon Jovi-inspired fisticuffs just made my week. Thanks for the advice, my intrepid friend. I'll remember it. :D

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:07 am

Well-said, Sully! :clap: I couldn't agree more.

As a side note, at every live show I've been to or listened to recordings of, a well-timed shout of "Shut up and let 'em sing!!" usually gets lots of support from the non-a-holes in the crowd and a big laugh. Which tends to make the douchetards in the crowd look even dumber and shuts them up. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:02 am

two words for the hecklers:

CAN ATTACK!!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:28 am

ardy wrote:two words for the hecklers:

CAN ATTACK!!

Ahahaha!! That is the BEST! :rolls:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”