April 6 - Tampa

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

Re: North American tour 2009 - general chat

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:07 am

The first reports from the tour's first show in Tampa are just coming in. Looks like there IS a backing band, and they're playing some oldies and some newbies (s2). Couple pictures are floating about with the guys in their robot gear... No word on meet and greets yet, but the night is young...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 am

Yes, the comments I read said people were shouting out song requests. :x C'mon folks, let 'em do their show!!! Especially if they've got a band.
The song list looked like a pretty good blend of old and new, which is good.
Bret called the crowd "obnoxious, but charming" :hrm:

Best line I've seen so far: They asked if people from Tampa referred to themselves as Tampons! :roll2:

All I can say is - Bret in leather playing the drums!!! :prayer:

AND THEY DID MEET AND GREET!!!!!!! :woohoo: :whitey:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:26 am

Tour Bus Morning Itinerary

1) Wake up - check
2) Make experimental music with light switch and alarm clock - check
3) 200 squat thrusts - check
4) Fight with each other over Cup Roster - Check
5) make hair look cool - check
6) Make up excuse not to visit famous Florida band shells and rotundas - check
7)Check fan email - check
8) take photo of selves and post on WTF in said tour bus - pending

Lunch Tour Bus Itinerary

1) Call moms - check
2) check out of hotel room and pay for damaged items in said room - check
3) Call someone to fish tour bus out of pool - check
4) Blow Dry Bass, DG-20, Guitars and Omnicord - check
5) apply more hair gel - check
6) Take photo with cell phone of selves in leather suits and post on WTF - pending
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:Best line I've seen so far: They asked if people from Tampa referred to themselves as Tampons! :roll2:

That seriously is quite possibly the most hysterical city nickname. Ever.

Nancy Hillner wrote:All I can say is - Bret in leather playing the drums!!! :prayer:

Are you serious?! Seriously?! :sends more thanks to heaven for her front row ticket: :whitey: :whitey: :whitey:

Nancy Hillner wrote:AND THEY DID MEET AND GREET!!!!!!! :woohoo: :whitey:
[/quote]

YAYNESS!!! :whitey:
Last edited by LSully9 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:Yes, the comments I read said people were shouting out song requests. :x C'mon folks, let 'em do their show!!! Especially if they've got a band.
The song list looked like a pretty good blend of old and new, which is good.
Bret called the crowd "obnoxious, but charming" :hrm:

Best line I've seen so far: They asked if people from Tampa referred to themselves as Tampons! :roll2:

All I can say is - Bret in leather playing the drums!!! :prayer:

AND THEY DID MEET AND GREET!!!!!!! :woohoo: :whitey:

The 'Tampons' comment cracked me up big time!! :rolls:
Yeah apparently there were some obnoxious people in the audience including one guy who caused the boys to mess up 'Carol Brown' :x
Here's a good blog about the show:
At concerts, I'm a lot of That Guys.

I'm That Guy Who Screams the Lyrics Along With the Singer. I'm That Guy Who's Always Holding a Digital Camera in the Air, Snapping Blurry Photos. I'm That Tall, Sweaty Guy Who Insists on Blocking Your View of the Stage.

One That Guy I am not, however, is That Guy Who Screams Random Words and Phrases at the Band, Thus Completely Derailing the Show. That Guy, I most assuredly am not.

Unfortunately, That Guy was in the house Monday night at Flight of the Conchords' show at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. He was there, and he brought friends.

And that's how things at the concert got a little tense.

See, this was opening night of Flight of the Conchords' national tour, which meant the band had plenty of kinks to fix, songs to iron out, and timing and stage banter to tweak. These things don't work themselves out overnight*, and they generally require a little patience on the part of the audience.

Last week, I asked Kristen Schaal**, who plays the band's obsessive fan Mel on their HBO show, if she based Mel on anyone in particular. She said no; Mel was actually an amalgam of some of Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie's real-life fans. "They would just tell me stories about their fans, and then I sort of tried to meld the personality together," she said.

I believe it. It's impressive enough that the band just about sold out the 2,610-seat Carol Morsani Hall at TBPAC, but I saw a bunch of fans with homemade costumes, T-shirts and props (i.e., a ukelele). All that was missing was Mel's disturbing fan art.

Their enthusiasm, it seems, simply could not be contained.

TBPAC is ostensibly a classy venue, a world-class theater that next week will host David Sedaris, classical violinist Midori and a performance of Charles Gounod's Faust***. One would think Flight of the Conchords knew what they were doing when they booked a show there.

But it seemed not everyone was willing to let atmosphere dictate behavior. On multiple occasions, the band had to shush the audience from shouting out song suggestions -- sometimes cheekily, sometimes with a little more pepper.

"If you want to talk," Jemaine joked, "write a note."

"Send it to Bret and Jemaine, New Zealand," Bret added.

That didn't stop them. The chants kept coming.

"Business Time!"

"I love you Jemaine!"

"Bring it, Bret!"

"Shush," Jemaine said. "What did we say about the notes?"

"That's no way to talk to your friends," Bret said.

"You're making it hard to concentrate," Jemaine said at one point. "This is our first show of the tour. We've barely got it together."

Shortly thereafter, Jemaine apologized, tongue in cheek, for getting snippy toward the audience. Which did nothing to stop the screams.

"Doggy Bounce!"

"Freekie!"

"Hiphopopotamus!"

"You guys have a completely different setlist than us," McKenzie said.

To be fair, the same could be said of the band. There were setlists taped to the stage, but the duo seemed to abandon them midway through the show. There were stretches between songs where they mulled what to play next. Even when the band did pick a song, there were slipups. Clement dropped the lyrics to a few songs, including If You're Into It.

And then there was Carol Brown. A lovely bossa nova ode to ex-girfriends in the vein of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, the song requires Clement to play a complicated electronic instrument that looks a bit like a miniature boogie board covered in knobs. It's also got a drawn-out fermata**** near the end of each chorus, which is supposed to go: "Carol Brown just took the bus out of townnnnn ... but I'm hoping that you'll stick around."

Here's what happened Monday:

Bret and Jemaine: "Carol Brown just took the bus out of townnnnn ... "

That Guy: "Australia!"

Bret and Jemaine: (lose the beat and have to stop the song)

Bret: "Good one. Look what we did. Security? Security?"

Now see here. Shouting "Australia!" at a band from New Zealand, especially a band that pokes fun at Australia-New Zealand relations on its TV show, is bad enough form in its own right. To do so in the middle of any song is just insulting. To do so in the middle of a song like Carol Brown is flat-out sadistic.

So yeah, things got a little weird. The band knew it, and they knew it was affecting the gig. After a brief, ad-libbed performance of the Flight of the Conchords theme, Bret told the fans: "Well, that must have reminded you of being at home, watching TV. The TV show is more reliable."

"If I was a reviewer," Jemaine said, "I'd say this show was meandering."

"Inconsistent," added Bret.

"Cavalier."

"Handsome."

Duly noted, gentlemen. And it's worth noting that the consensus opinion I heard from fans leaving the venue was overwhelmingly positive. Mishaps aside, Flight of the Conchords are the most legitimate comedic rock stars since Spinal Tap, and songs like Business Time, Think About It, and Hurt Feelings killed. Totally worth the price of admission, and then some, even if we did have to put up with That Guy.

And besides, not all the fans were total That Guys. Check out the Tough Brets: From left, USF students Matt Ferrara, Brittanie Drinosky, Sarah Coit and Liz Hubbs.

Source: http://blogs.tampabay.com/tbt/2009/04/t ... -tpac.html
(click on the link for pics!)
Last edited by Venus on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Sherry
Professional Blonde

April 6 - Tampa

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Am moving some stuff over from the general thread as its Tampa specific.

Any other Tampa discussion here please :)

SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: April 6 - Tampa

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theuniversalcynic ( I just commented that his name is Jemaine - let's see how long it takes him to correct it)

THEY DID MEET AND GREETS. :whitey:
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah it's great to know they did meet and greets. Reading a few accounts of people who met them facebook.

A couple YouTube videos:

Kristen opening the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBVZkUb9Qo

Save the Whales: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47pn6Cl7BQ

:lol: :lol:
&

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Cool pics :)

Here is one of them in Robots costume

Robot Conchords

I wonder if Kristen mentioned the v word :lol:

Am in the process of putting everything together on the main site to update later. Only son has other ideas :roll:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm

The review that mentions That Guy has a comment posted to it.

Pretty scathing and only an average ok gig.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/tbt/2009/04/t ... -tpac.html

Comments
The reviewer captures the antics of the dumba$$es in the audience at TBPAC last night. I have never seen rudeness like this at a concert - especially the constant shouting out. I don't blame the band for being irritated!

Note to Tampa concert fans - YOUR FLASH ONLY TRAVELS 20 FEET! If you insist on bring a camera and ruining the show for everyone else - at least turn the flash off. And the red eye reduction that causes it to flash multiple times per shot. You might even get a real picture of the band rather 30 shots of guy in front of you.

Those "Tough Bretts" - the USF students in the picture accompanying the article - sat right below me. They were among the worst offenders - cameras flashing away and cell phones on throughout the show. I'm sure Brett really appreciated it. I hope that blurry Facebook photo you ran home and posted was worth it.

Oh - and screaming like 15 year olds at a Hannah Montana show does not make up for it. Performers prefer actual feedback to what they are doing.

That off my chest, sadly, the show was - at best - pretty mediocre.
It was the first show of the tour - the boys were rusty. I suspect it will be a good show in a couple weeks - the banter will be better, the paying tighter, the band looser in dealing with new, larger audiences and Kristin funnier. They will have to breathe life into their older material that recent fans to the band still want to hear - Robots, Business Time, etc. even if they are tired of them.

And where was the Hiphopopotomus?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:05 pm

When I first saw that they wore the robot heads I squealed out loud in the workplace. Since seeing them at Amoeba with them I've wished to see them in person. Hopefully they will travel with them throughout the tour. Comments on Jemaine's suit anyone?
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Ouch! It's experiences like that from the comments section of the blog which I'm dreading to read about. It's a shame when people's experiences at concerts are nearly ruined by a few silly people in the crowd.

From facebook:

And check out Jemaine's suit!:
&

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:11 pm

OK so they bought along their mates from back home for the backing band?

Anyone got a lookie at a programme to see who is credited? Methinks it'll have some familiar names. Hence them only arriving a couple of days before the tour. They would have been running through things back in NZ.

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Bret on the drums! :D:

A little fan account of the show from fotcmb:

The show was fantastic. It was my first FOTC show. I'm really tired so this will be quick. I'll try and elaborate more tomorrow. But the songs they played were:

Albi
Angels - closed the show with this.
Buisness Time
Carol Brown
Hurt Feelings
I'm Not Crying
If You're Into It
Jenny
Most Beautiful Girl in the Room - the show opener
Mutha'uckas - with Bret on drums.
The Humans Are Dead - opened the encore. Bret and Jemaine wore the "Robot Helmets". The place went nuts.
Think About It
We're Both In Love With a Sexy Lady / Sugar Lumps - kept a similar beat except added Sugar Lumps at the end
You Don't Have To Be A Prostitute

A lot of people were shouting out requests. Jemaine replyed to "Too Many Dicks" saying that they didn't have the right machine and didn't know how to work it. They said it was their first time in Tampa. They asked if people from Tampa referred to themselves as tampons.

Sorry this isn't much. I'll try and remember more tomorrow.
&

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:39 pm

Oh man, they played Jenny! That's actually a bit surprising because of the rowdiness of the crowd - Jenny strikes me as a kind of quiet song.

I am SO STOKED they came out after. I'm going to let you all in on a little secret: I CAN NOT WAIT TO BE STANDING NEXT TO JEMAINE CLEMENT!!!!! I would like to elaborate on ths thought but the only words that seem appropriate are "SQUEEEE!!!" or "AAAAAHHHHH!!!" so I'll just leave it at that.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”