April 6 - Tampa

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: April 6 - Tampa

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:24 pm

New video

Sexy Lady and Sugalumps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anBEafy3-Ok
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for that link- I'm watching all of them now. :)

Unfortunately I just saw That Guy screw up Carol Brown.....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Sherry wrote:OK so they bought along their mates from back home for the backing band?

Anyone got a lookie at a programme to see who is credited? Methinks it'll have some familiar names. Hence them only arriving a couple of days before the tour. They would have been running through things back in NZ.

I remember WIUO recently making a comment about Nigel being away for a while so that he wouldn't be able to perform with them at some of the shows they were doing. Now I know why! Dead curious to find out who else is in their backing band. :hrm:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:08 pm

The tour opener 8) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlMh_KscoI

A few comments from the blog about the show:

On the bright side, the heckling seemed to more of a I'm-a-pale-skinned-lunatic-who-has-a-shrine-built-to-you-in-my-parent's-den worshipful variety. Not to say the fools weren't annoying. My buddy and I hung around the stage door a few minutes to see if we could snag an autograph along with the other hundred or so hopefuls, only to be told by security the boys weren't emerging until the coast was clear. Can't say I blame their wanting to steer wide of the overzealous. They heard them all night, why subject themselves to seeing them as well. It was a pretty young crowd and drinks were flowing. Apparently the freshmen haven't yet learned how to enjoy a good show without screaming requests like they were witnessing the Beatles first gig on Ed Sullivan.

All four of us in my group loved the show. I actually enjoyed the loose feel of some of the songs. It gave the feel you weren't just hearing rote-memorized songs that had been played infinitum, but more an impromptu comedic act with a very catchy riff running throughout. I haven't yet seen the second season (monthly HBO is low hanging fruit when it comes to cutting costs), so there were a few songs that were new to me. The only one I didn't particularly care for was about a tour guide. Other than that, everything was a spot-on good time. Kudos to Bret and Jermaine for making the big time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good show, definitely not great. The HBO show has obviously been a boost to their careers so why not play a few more of those songs? Also, while the song selections were mostly good, the pacing of the show needs improvement. "Stick Around (A Chorus of Ex Girlfriends)" is one of the most original songs written in recent years. Why was it played third, almost a throwaway? Would have love to have heard "Too Many Dicks..", "Ladies of the World" and "Hiphopapotamus" as well.

I was sitting a few rows behind the "Tough Brets" and to be honest...they were "those guys" too. The annoying fans and camera flashes aside, I think the Conchords were great last night, all things considered.

It was pretty annoying last night. While I enjoyed the show I went in with low expectations.

I love the show, love the album, but kind of knew what to expect (performance wise) from the live tracks on the EP. That being said, Bret and Jemaine should be ashamed of how shabby they played some of those songs. Yeah, we know it's a comedy show with music, but some songs fell apart. "Bret, what note does this song start with?" You didn't even practice before the tour?

As for that guy, I waited for that guy to shout "Freebird" all night and it finally came with about 3 songs left. I knew that guy wouldn't let me down.

Bret and Jemaine were right. We are the Tampa Tampons.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree elZaphod - liked the looseness of the show. I have the DVDs; I know the words by heart. I liked that the robots hadn't taken over the world completely and things didn't run like a well-oiled machine. I was there to see a LIVE show. Bret had it going on, Jemaine was bumpable and Kristen Schall was a scream! Young Mr. Plummer was in the row behind us and said his costume was "specially fabricated" for the show. What a great kid!

I did want to specially fabricate a sign to wear on my way out saying that I was not one of the moron Tampons that kept shouting throughout the show. The only screaming I did was in delight at seeing the band, Kristen and Nigel!

Another review from http://annekjones.net/?p=281
Went to see Flight of the Conchords last night with Mary and Josh. They were fantastic. Tampa was the first show of their tour, so that was kind of neat. Kristen Schaal opened (The actress who plays FOTC’s uberfan, Mel on the show) she was pretty funny. She did a series of “plays” for the audience. The first one consisted of the horrors of reefer addiction; the second covered the loneliness the wooden spoon when the cooking pot dumped her for his guy the lid; and the third went over the life of a twin mattress. She dressed in a mattress costume for that - sort of.

Then Bret and Jemaine came out and began the show with “The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room).” The song kicked off a fantastic evening. The guys stage presence is very much like their show. They’re very laid back and seemed to get a little thrown off by the calls for songs from the audience. It was hard to tell how much was just them playing their characters and how much was them. Either way they were funny, engaging and compared Tampa to Will Ferrel, obnoxious but charming.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:15 pm

The only one I didn't particularly care for was about a tour guide.

Wot wot wot??? Did they actually play Bus Driver's Song??

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Yeah I heard another person mention this tour guide song that they had never heard of. And they call themselves fans. :hrmpf:

But that guy was wrong in the first quote right - they did do a meet and greet? :pray:

I didn't care for reading reviews of the shows last year and I think that last batch will be the last I read for this year. I'm interested to hear what fans on these forums have to say but not random yobbos.
90% evil
ImageImage

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Venus wrote:An album of pics from the 6th row has been posted on facebook. Not sure whether everyone will get to see this though if you're not on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... =578827239
People not on facebook cannot see these.

Alas not. I don't like to borrow them without the owners permission though. I'll drop him a note and ask if he would mind to share a few.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:20 pm

"Security guy said they were going to wait for the coast to be clear"

Does this mean no meet and greets? Or just wait around for some of the crowd to clear out?

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 pm

I thought someone said they did and they had pics.

Any moron knows that you should never expect an honest answer from a security guard. :roll:
Last edited by SheWolf on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:26 pm

That being said, Bret and Jemaine should be ashamed of how shabby they played some of those songs. Yeah, we know it's a comedy show with music, but some songs fell apart. "Bret, what note does this song start with?" You didn't even practice before the tour?

Was that perhaps not a joke?

The HBO show has obviously been a boost to their careers so why not play a few more of those songs?
What? Considering they used almost all of their back catalog on the show, are not all of the songs "those songs" from the series? Plus, what's wrong with new stuff?

Also, while the song selections were mostly good, the pacing of the show needs improvement. "Stick Around (A Chorus of Ex Girlfriends)" is one of the most original songs written in recent years. Why was it played third, almost a throwaway?
I love the guys, but even I have to say that the song isn't really all that original. Paul Simon and Tom Waits both did songs along those lines, just to name two other musicians. Why complain about a song being played third? At least it was played!

Yeah, there's been a reason I've generally avoided the tour threads. I suspect I should go back to avoiding them. This kind of stuff is just going to annoy me.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:29 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Yeah, there's been a reason I've generally avoided the tour threads. I suspect I should go back to avoiding them. This kind of stuff is just going to annoy me.
:nod: I hear ya. I'm too curious not to check in and like I said I want to see pics and hear personal stories from our WTFers but I'm not going to read these reviews. Not because I'm protective of them or don't value constructive criticism it's just that these reviews are usually soooooo, for lack of a better word, stupid. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

SheWolf wrote:
Venus wrote:An album of pics from the 6th row has been posted on facebook. Not sure whether everyone will get to see this though if you're not on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... =578827239
People not on facebook cannot see these.

Neither can people whose "organizational policies" prohibit viewing of facebook... :pout: Looks like I'm taking the G1 for a walk. :D :D :D
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:33 pm

SheWolf wrote:I thought someone said they did and they had pics.

Any moron knows that you should never expect an honest answer from a security guard. :roll:

did anyone say what time they came out? i'd think we'll have to wait at least an hour after the show for the crowd to thin out?
that's frozen cool...

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:36 pm

SheWolf wrote:I think (and hope) that having such rocking seats this time will make me even better able to ignore the arseholes.

Of course it'll be super easy for us to ignore them... They'll all be BEHIND us!!! :high fives SW:
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:36 pm

I don't know, I haven't heard or seen any stories about meet and greets yet, so I'm beginning to worry a bit after that comment about the security guard saying they weren't coming out until the coast was clear...

And SW, just so you know, I'M that kind of moron who would be like, "Oh Okay" and walk away and miss my chance :(

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”