April 6 - Tampa

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: April 6 - Tampa

Postby Carol » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Austin wrote:And I was hoping on you to keep me company on the quest for a meet and greet...

Oh, I'll def keep you company! You still have my #, right?

Kelly, I think you're right about IIRC. There are so many times I have no idea what's going on with these things. Took me awhile to get "TBH" and I'm just guessing that it means, to be honest.

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:05 am

Hi everyone,

I noticed in one of the vids that they brought a cellist. Did they have other musicians? Did they say who they were? I wonder if it was just for that show or if they will be accompanying them to all the gigs? (Love Cellos) Did they make any comments during the gig?

Thanks
M-DOG
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:10 am

I'm pretty sure the cellist is going to be on the whole tour. And I'm also pretty sure that's Nigel from the Ukulele Orchestra.

M-DOG

Postby M-DOG » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:13 am

Woohoo! I just love them even more if that is even possible!
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

lisalisa88
New arrival

Postby lisalisa88 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:19 am

M-DOG wrote:Hi everyone,

I noticed in one of the vids that they brought a cellist. Did they have other musicians? Did they say who they were? I wonder if it was just for that show or if they will be accompanying them to all the gigs? (Love Cellos) Did they make any comments during the gig?

Thanks
M-DOG

They only had the one there last night. Nigel Collins played cello. He can also be seen on the credits for the
Folk The World Tour CD as well as at this link http://www.ukulele.co.nz/bios.html

Austin

Postby Austin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:43 am

As for comments on him, they did refer to him by name, and his apparent nickname, "Cello Dawg" (Which would make a great username)
They call it a fly because it takes you up to Heaven

I lurk left.... a lot.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:40 am

Thanks for the pics and videos lisalisa88! And welcome to the forums :)
And thank you Sherry for putting up the tour report page.

Just did a quick search and found these videos from another youtube channel

Hurt Feelings
Carol Brown
Mutha'Uckas - Lovin' Bret on the drums!
Sexy Lady and Sugalumps

And a fan review:
“Flight of the Conchords” — New Zealand’s fourth most popular folk parody duo, comprised of Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie — kicked off their U.S. tour Monday night in Tampa and I was there. (Forgive me, if it sounds like I’m bragging, but I just can’t help it.)

I’m not going to pretend like I’ve been in the “Flight of the Conchords” cult since the beginning. I saw some of their performance clips online, dug their sense of humor and blind-bought the first season of their HBO sitcom on DVD for my girlfriend Erica for Christmas. After laughing my ass off, we caught up with season 2 and went to see them in person on Monday.

Erica’s always preferred watching the live performance clips on YouTube over the glossier, more surreal music videos from the show. And after seeing them live myself, I can finally see why. While the TV show is still hilarious, watching Bret and Jemaine play off a Tampa audience they described as “obnoxious, but charming — like Will Ferrell” as they were bombarded with song requests was priceless.

After a predictably weird and funny set from Kristen Schaal (who plays obsessed fan Mel on the show) the guys took the stage, with Jemaine debuting fetching beard. I’m not going to give their set list away (which might be impossible since the guys like to act like they’re deciding what to play on the spot), but, except for “Ladies of the World” and “Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros”, the guys performed their best-known songs.

The guys kept the spaces between their funny songs alive by engaging in their typically self-deprecating banter and by going off on their signature odd riffs (think of a whale using a cell phone). I know some comedians play music (most of the time I want them to get back to the jokes), and some musicians entertain with stage banter, but I’ve never been to a show that blends both elements so well. It was like I paid for a great concert (these guys are GOOD musicians) and a great comedy show. What I’m saying is that you should go.

Jemaine said someone reviewing the show could describe it as “meandering.” I’d agree, but I’d also add that the show “meandered” in the best possible sense, aimlessly going from one funny, unexpected place to another.

The only bad part was when it ended sooner than I expected (after about 90 minutes sans intermission).

Flight of the Conchords...A

Source

Will be interesting to see how tonight's performance goes :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:55 am

Hurt Feelings and Mutha'Uckas were awesome! Thanks for the links. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

ardy
Redheads not warheads

Postby ardy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 am

wow. how exciting is this tour going to be?
i hope jemaine and bret will enjoy each show as much as (or more than) their fans...

so happy!
so excited!
so awesome!
...Detroit - City of Tomorrow...

take this sinking boat and point it home..we've still got time...

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 am

Venus, you're a princess for collecting all these goodies. I really appreciate it. Big ups, V. :yawinkle:

And thanks for sharing such great pictures and videos, Lisa! What an amazingly kind thing to do for us! I really hope you'll stick around here, because I can already tell I'm going to like your style. You lovely thing, you. :D

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:15 am

^ No worries guys :)

Found this review. It's reveals ALOT about the songs played so don't read if you like surprises ;)

I just got back from seeing FOTC live at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center, the first stop on their 2009 tour. It was a great show. There were a few points where they seemed a little unrehearsed (Jemaine seemed to forget his lines a couple of times during "If You're Into It"), but mostly things went off very smoothly and without a hitch. Kristen Schaal opened for them, and she was hilarious. I now apologize for suggesting she doesn't have a lot of material, because she did all new stuff I've never seen before, and it was all very funny. In the course of her set she performed three little "playlets", one about the dangers of marijuana use, one that involved pots and pans having sex (don't ask), and one where she took on the role of a mattress.

The show featured a nice mixture of first season and second season songs; some of the second season stuff they did included "Carol Brown", "Hurt Feelings", a slowed-down version of "Sugalumps", and "I'm In Love With a Sexy Lady". When somebody in the audience yelled out "Too Many Dicks!", Jemaine quipped "Yes, there are maybe a few too many". Actually, I think Bret and Jemaine got a little tired of people yelling out song titles, to the point where an exasperated Bret said to the crowd at one point "Are you like this at every show you go to?"

There was one song that they did that I've never heard before- it involved a 10 year old (?) gunslinger named "Stana", whose name, we are told, is an anagram of "Satan". The song involves him meeting his identical doppleganger who is named "Anats". It was a pretty weird, long song (Bret asked when it was over if anyone needed to take a nap), but some of the lyrics were funny ("Stana" is such a lawbreaker that he disobeys all laws, including tax laws- he underreports the amount of income he made during the year- and the laws of nature ('He often occupies the same space as a solid unit of matter')

There were a few surprises that I didn't expect, including "Jenny" and, perhaps most surprising of all, "The Bus Driver's Song". They finished up with "Albi the Racist Dragon" and then came back and did "Angels" as an encore. Bret closed up the show by thanking the people of Tampa and acknowledged jokingly that "you're a very obnoxious bunch here. You're always shouting- you're like Will Ferrell!" On my way out, I picked up a vinyl copy of their first album (even though I don't have a record player, it's still cool to have as a souvenir). All in all a really good show- if I didn't have to work, I'd try to go see them in Orlando too, but I can't. I'd be interested in hearing any other concert reports from anyone else that gets a chance to see them though.

Source

How exciting is that second last paragraph? :D
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:53 am

It's interesting to read these reviews.
I posted last night (at about 12:30) about the meet and greets, because a few folks on another site had said they met up and had pics taken. (One person thanked Bret for giving back her Sharpie!) I didn't know the show was at 7:30 - that meant they must have had a hefty wait. Show reviews were coming in after 11, the meet ups reported after 12. So I guess patience will be the key. :waiting:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Who else thinks "Stana" sounds a bit like "Petrov" - weird, a little dark, and probably written by Bret? :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 pm

^Yeah I see what you mean!

A few more clips of 'Most Beautiful Girl', 'Jenny', 'Think About It', 'Sugalumps' and 'Hurt Feelings' can be found on this youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nerdfightersftw
&

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote: (One person thanked Bret for giving back her Sharpie!) I didn't know the show was at 7:30 - that meant they must have had a hefty wait. Show reviews were coming in after 11, the meet ups reported after 12. So I guess patience will be the key. :waiting:
I believe Bret was our Sharpie thief last year. The times for meet ups were all over the map last year and I suspect it will be the same this year.
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”