April 8 - Orlando, Florida

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: April 8 - Orlando, Florida

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 pm

jm513 wrote:wow..........I know I don't post much in here anymore when someone calls me jm513..... :shock: ....... :lol:

Haha! Sorry I'm quite new on these forums :lol: :D

Sorry to hear you didn't get to see the guys. At least it looks like you had great seats and you must have had a fun time at the concert :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm Jess :D And while I've been around here for years, I rarely post anymore - got too hectic for me to keep up with :lol:

We were sitting on J's side, section 105 iirc - lower section about half way up. Not bad seats, not perfect - but they weren't bad. I was TOTALLY irritated though to see better seats empty. I don't understand why they were. I'm wondering if brokers bought the tickets assuming they'd sell and then they didn't. I have much dislike for ticketmaster and the brokers...ggrrrrrr

And yes, we had tons of fun at the show. It wasn't my small bar that I've always wanted to see them at. I should have sucked it up and bought the plane tickets back in the day and just gone - I never imagined they'd blow up like they have, but it's awesome for them that they've done so well and one day I'll will get to meet them and say hi and thanks :D
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

WomanInThePark
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby WomanInThePark » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 pm

jm513 wrote:oh...........this makes me so sad :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I stood out there for an hour - my toes were numb they were so cold and I hadn't eaten since about 11. When the guys who work there came out and said they would be walking through but not stopping to sign anything I gave up. And I knew I'd hear after that they did and cry a bit........ :( :( :(

:( There there.
:goodman:
Gah I am freaking out about this possibility. Cuz I am taking the metro home so I do not want to stay out insanely late...and I don't want to miss them.... Also I have no idea where I would go to meet/greet.
Beth, did you really need to fake your death?

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:53 pm

jm513 wrote:oh...........this makes me so sad :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: I stood out there for an hour - my toes were numb they were so cold and I hadn't eaten since about 11. When the guys who work there came out and said they would be walking through but not stopping to sign anything I gave up. And I knew I'd hear after that they did and cry a bit........ :( :( :(

I think security are trying to put people off as much as possible so are telling porkies about the guys not stopping or coming out etc. Just a case of ignoring them and sticking around for a couple of hours it seems. Although as to what happens at other venues remains to be seen of course.

Sorry you missed them. But glad you finally got to see them live Jess :D

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:00 pm

jm513 wrote:I'm Jess :D And while I've been around here for years, I rarely post anymore - got too hectic for me to keep up with :lol:

We were sitting on J's side, section 105 iirc - lower section about half way up. Not bad seats, not perfect - but they weren't bad. I was TOTALLY irritated though to see better seats empty. I don't understand why they were. I'm wondering if brokers bought the tickets assuming they'd sell and then they didn't. I have much dislike for ticketmaster and the brokers...ggrrrrrr

And yes, we had tons of fun at the show. It wasn't my small bar that I've always wanted to see them at. I should have sucked it up and bought the plane tickets back in the day and just gone - I never imagined they'd blow up like they have, but it's awesome for them that they've done so well and one day I'll will get to meet them and say hi and thanks :D

Hi there Jess! I'm Venus :)

That's a shame good seats were left empty!

Yeah it's great knowing that FotC are getting worldwide recognition for their work and thus have become so successful to be able to sell out fairly big venues but I suppose most people would prefer seeing them in more intimate settings. I really hope you do get to meet them one day, I'm sure there'll be other opportunities :D

It looks like the boys will do meet and greets a couple of hours after shows and people shouldn't take what security says too seriously.
&

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:05 pm

jm513 wrote:Bret lost his ring mid-way through the show, but he found it later. It was funny in an "uh oh" kinda way :lol:

Oh, my word :shock: :shock: :shock: ... can you imagine if he hadn't found it? It's so easy to do, as well - I lost mine for ages once, and that was just in my house. Despite my theatrical distress at its existence, I am very pleased that he got it back! He must have had that on his mind the whole time until it was safely on his finger again.

Good to meet you, Jess, and glad to know you've finally got to see the guys live. Bummer about missing the meet and greet, but it'll happen, it'll happen... :goodman:
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 pm

Venus, who do those pics belong to? Can you link to the source if possible. I'd like to use them in an update possibly.

Jess, I'm snagging some of the ones you posted also :) Thanks muchly :lol:

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:10 pm

of course :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Sherry wrote:Venus, who do those pics belong to? Can you link to the source if possible. I'd like to use them in an update possibly.

Jess, I'm snagging some of the ones you posted also :) Thanks muchly :lol:

Ah yes, sorry I forgot to quote the sources. All of the pics are from the Flight of the Conchords facebook fanpage. The first two pics I posted on page 1 are from Ricky and the other 3 pics I posted on page 2 are from Monique :)
&

Venus

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:45 pm

REVIEW: Flight Of The Conchords in Orlando

Some might think the intimate, no-frills, two-chair stage set up of comedy folk duo Flight of the Conchords may not translate well to an arena setting. But the show at UCF Arena in Orlando last night proved otherwise – for the most part.

The arena was at half capacity as requested by the band’s management and the band definitely filled it up. Anyone familiar with the HBO show “Flight of the Conchords” knows the quirky, dry humor of New Zealand bandmates Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement and they brought that and plus to the stage. Those that know their current hit “Business Time” and never watched the show may have found it sluggish at times and might have missed the joke. From what I saw, that was mainly college students in the audience that seemed more interested in the bar than the act on stage.

Entering the stage donned in cardboard robot helmets and shiny jackets, the duo immediately broke into “Too Many Dicks (On The Dance Floor),” a popular song from their new season on HBO.

At the end of the song the crowd shouted out more “I love you”(s) to both members than I’ve heard at most boy band shows. The admiration continued throughout the evening, also coming from the men in the audience to which Jemaine made the observation that both he and Bret “have a frat boy each.”

This kind of fun, jabbing banter continued between songs. Some of the best coming from Jemaine — at one point he told an audience member who was making some noise, “Don’t feel like you have to entertain because we have it under control up here.” Later in the evening, one person confused a song title while yelling a request to which Jemaine responded “You can’t just yell out any random thing and expect us to spin it into gold.”

But when it came to the songs, they did make the crowd happy with songs like “Girlfriends From The Past,” “If You’re Into It” and of course, “Business Time.” A smart move on the guys’ part was playing “Business Time” in the middle of the show, avoiding the audience yelling for it the whole evening.

With an average of two songs per TV episode, favorites are going to be missed in a live show but they covered the majority. There were a couple of screw ups — at the end of “I Told You I Was Freaky” their cellist Nigel (otherwise known as the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra) kept playing shortly after Jemaine and Bret stopped, to which they let the audience know he was actually the one on cue, and let Nigel know he would be fired if he plays the song right again.

Remember, first and foremost this is a comedy act.

Nigel was the only backup for the duo that along with playing guitar, also played keyboard, drums, omnichord and a pocket xylophone.

Opener Kristen Schaal, who plays uberfan Mel on the show, was a great lead in to the duo with jokes about being on tour and afraid of turning to marijuana or assimilating to the girls on the “Rock Of Love” tour bus.

Overall the minor technical issues and handful of obnoxious fans didn’t deter from the overall experience that both the live and TV show provide: A damn good time.

Source

Interesting that the boys' management requested for the arena to be at half capacity. This will probably happen at the other larger venues they're performing at during the tour.
&

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:17 am

Venus wrote: Interesting that the boys' management requested for the arena to be at half capacity. This will probably happen at the other larger venues they're performing at during the tour.
Why would they do that?
90% evil
ImageImage

EvilMoose
Half a shapely halibut

Postby EvilMoose » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:03 am

Sherry wrote:Anyways, don't be a stranger Ms Moosey of Evil. I expect to see you back here again soon.

Time has a tendency to get away from me, but never fear, I shall return....moohaha! :twisted:

All my love to the family :bighug:
To me religion seems like a bunch of people talking to their imaginary friend. - Dylan Moran

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:01 am

Venus wrote:Hi there Jess! I'm Venus :)

Your name is really Venus? That's a very cool name.

SheWolf wrote:Why would they do that?

The only thing I can think of is they felt like the show wouldn't work as well if the crowd was too big.

So sorry you missed them, Jess. But it sounds like an awesome show.

Has anyone ever considered going to a bar or something for an hour or so after the show, then coming back? I'd probably be too paranoid to actually do that, but it sounds reasonable... they don't seem to come out until at least then, and two hours is a really long time to hang around outside a building. I'm going to need to bring some Mad Libs, at least. :)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:05 am

Hi Moose...I like evil. :twisted:

No way will I leave after the show, I'd be too afraid they'd come out and I'd miss em.

Hmmm, I wonder if the Fox will be at half capacity? That seems odd.....how large was that venue?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:08 am

trefusis wrote:
jm513 wrote:Bret lost his ring mid-way through the show, but he found it later. It was funny in an "uh oh" kinda way :lol:

Oh, my word :shock: :shock: :shock: ... can you imagine if he hadn't found it? It's so easy to do, as well - I lost mine for ages once, and that was just in my house. Despite my theatrical distress at its existence, I am very pleased that he got it back! He must have had that on his mind the whole time until it was safely on his finger again.

Yes! I lost mine once too, not long after we were married, in fact. I was so upset about losing it, I felt sick. Luckily we found it the same day. I am quite in awe of Bret's cool, in being able to go on with the show. If it had been me, the show would have ground to a halt and everyone would have been on their hands and knees looking for it.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”