April 10 - Nashville, TN

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: April 10 - Nashville, TN

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Carol wrote:Seems Bret is the more outgoing and fun-loving of the FOTC duo. (Or so it seemsfrom things I've read.)
Well harrumph :hrmpf: (I love this emoticon, can ya tell?) I'll take staying in with Jem over going out with Bret any day. :waggle: Besides, I'm sure Jem is just staying in, staring in the mirror, willing his beard to grow long enough to please me next weekend.

FOTC and tornados in town in one night! Does the excitement never end?? Carol maybe the twister will suck you and FOTC (with instruments in hand) out of Ryman and place you down in a field a few towns away & you can have your own private gig.
90% evil
ImageImage

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Well, we can only hope that tonight's gig won't end up in the middle of next week :? .
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Vibing for a tornado-free (and heckler-free) show for you all!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Austin
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Austin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:25 am

The Gig: Great! A+! Kristen was hilarious. I got to see Jemaine work those snake hips of his, there were some specific Nashville-related banter, including the mocking of country accents. Then the guys even let the crowd have an open floor to do their own impressions of Kiwis, which there was one spot-on impression of Murray! The cello didn't seem to drown out the guys like in some Makoura videos and it actually sounded great as a backing instrument. Go Nigel! Everyone may be aware of the Sugalumps dance number, but they did not get off stage. However, Bret did get to the edge and a group of about four ladies rushed him, and he jumped back like he was getting shot at! He did oblige to dance with one girl, but he remained on the stage while she was on the floor. The crowd even impressed the guys when they did the "Carol Brown" choir ah's, and even led Jemaine to diss Tampa!

The Crowd: C+ In the beginning, the hecklers were quieted, but especially toward the end, they picked up steam. And there were 3 references to "Free Bird" that were audible, and Jemaine picked up on them quick.

My night otherwise: Horrible. Lost my T-Shirt, my pictures suck, almost had cell phone and camera taken away as the ushers were camera nazis, obviously no meet and greet which I could not stay for. The only positive is that I got to meet a fellow WTFer and I'm hoping she had a better night than I did.
They call it a fly because it takes you up to Heaven

I lurk left.... a lot.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:39 am

Other places people were saying they met Jemaine, Kristen, etc, so I think they did meet and greet folks. The one blurry pic I saw from the show -Jemaine was in his denim again.
Also, a couple of people complained that they didn't do H vs R. :dunno:
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Austin

Postby Austin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:44 am

I'm sure they did do meet and greets, but I didn't get a chance to hold my end of the bargain...

Jemaine was in his denim, but he did take of the jacket before an encore and had a normal shirt on. Bret ditched his leather jacket after "Dicks" I believe.
They call it a fly because it takes you up to Heaven

I lurk left.... a lot.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:52 am

Oh, Austin- I'm so sorry for the bad stuff. It sounds like your show was a great one, tho.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Carol Brown

Postby Carol Brown » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:56 am

The expression on my face right now is sad because of the ushers and annoying crowd, but happy because the show got an A+ otherwise. :)

Austin wrote:...some specific Nashville-related banter, including the mocking of country accents. Then the guys even let the crowd have an open floor to do their own impressions of Kiwis, which there was one spot-on impression of Murray!

Please please PLEASE post more details about that when you've got the time... Sounds hilarious!
Would you like a little cereal ?

Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Spumony5000 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:13 am

I'm sorry you had a bad night Austin, but I'm glad that the show turned out good.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Carol

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:40 am

You want details? You GOT details! (You may be sorry you asked!)

Wow! What a night---I just got home!

There are no words adequate to say how wonderful the guys were.
But let's start with Kristen. She was flippin' hilarious! So much better than I've ever seen her on Comedy Central. And she had on her sparkly pants! I love her!

Then the guys! Remember how I was so worried about being in the back? Hmph, no problem at all. Was dead on center stage with a terrific view of both! Not as good as a third row seat (where you would have needed to be in order to not be looking straight up at the stage) but still excellent.

The banter was tremendous. As Austin said, they tried to talk in a country twang and then apologized for it and said that we probably couldn't understand their accents. That's when they opened the floor. A guy in the balcony did a dead-on impersonation of Murray when he said, "Play the next one, Jemaine" And Jemaine was honestly impressed (as was everyone in the crowd) and said, "Not only a great impression, but also a great suggestion" or something to that effect. (When you're excited, you think you'll remember everything verbatim, but then memory fades. Austin will probably remember exactly what was said.)
They did a whole banter on "Shot a hole in my boot" (complete again with a country twang). Both guys laughing and talking about shooting holes in their boots. "I could barely walk in t' town, I had s' many holes shot 'n my boots." (again this is just the best of my recollection.--but you get the idea.)

In Carol Brown, Bret did tell the ladies to join him on the "Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, ah" part when cued, but had us give it a shot before actually launching into the number. He and Jemaine both seemed genuinely impressed by the response. Taken aback almost. And, I believe, it was Jemaine who said, "Imagine a town known for music having so many who can sing." Bret suggested that all the ladies join them on tour and be the choir. Which, as you can imagine, was well received. :) That's when J also dissed Tampa a bit!

I don't think my face will lose its smile for a viry, viry long time!

There WAS a meet and greet. We waited in the cold drizzle for two hours+--but it was WELL WORTH THE WAIT! At one point a security guard pushed me hard as he was trying to get to another person who was apparently getting too close to Jemaine. It was a tiny little alleyway and people were crowding the guys. (Later, the same security guard apologized to me!) The security guard blamed the guys' management; said they were getting pretty upset. Jemaine heard all this and said to him, "It doesn't bother me." How neat is that?
Bret is a talker, isn't he?! So open and friendly. But then, so was Jemaine. And I gotta say, tv does NOT do these guys justice. Holy moses, they are GORGEOUS! (SW, Jemaine had the tiniest hint of stubble--tiniest!)

I stole somebody's idea on here to have them sign their names and "Present" on the Band Meeting shirt. I asked Bret if he'd sign and put 'prisint' on it. "Put what?" "Prisint." Again, a blank stare. "Present" "Ohh! Prisint!" He laughed and said, "Sure, I can do that -can I use your back?" He took the shirt and used both hands to turn me around. :thud: "There ya go,"he said, turning me back around.
Jemaine only signed his name. I waited until the crowd thinned and asked him if he would mind putting 'present' as well. "Sure I will. How was I supposed to know? How do I know what you want unless you ask? I'll even put this" and he drew a little box and put a check mark in it. "See, I'm prisint." The best part was, he had me hold the shirt against my palm and then he cupped my hand in his left as he wrote with his right. .....Can you tell I'm just a little stoked about all this?? I'm sure I could've gotten a hug or a kiss if I'd asked, but that's just not me. (I saw him kiss and hug others though.)

I asked Jemaine if he enjoyed his time in Nashville and he said very much so--except for the tornado scare! And I said then they should come back and he said, "We'll be back," and gave me a wink and a head nod with the coolest,heart-stopping grin. :thud: Oh, I hope that's true--and I hope I'm not dead before it happens.

I'm writing way too much, I know, but I am just so hyped up right now!
Here's our song list:
Too Many Dicks in the robot 'heads' and silver jackets
Albi
The Most Beautiful Girl
Hurt Feelings
Stana vs Stana (this is where the country accent banter started)
Jenny
I Told You I was Freaky
Mutha Uckas
Carol Brown
Business Time
Bus Driver's Song
We're Both in Love With a Sexy Lady (changed lyrics somewhat)/SugaLumps
The Humans Are Dead
If You're Into It
Think, Think Think About It
Angels

I made a post about Jemaine not going out with Kristen and Bret. Well, Bret told a story about a cab driver taking them (Kristne, Nigel and himself) on a sight seeing tour to East Nashville yesterday and Jemaine said, "Where was I?"
And Bret said something like, "You didn't go." J-"I wasn't invited?" B-quiet. J-singing "I got hurt feelin's, I got hurt feelin's." It wouldn't have been so funny except they'd already sung Hurt Feelings back in the first half of the show--so it was a spontaneous little vocal. (This could be something that they work into every show--but it seemed authentically spontaneous.)

The crowd wasn't too bad, I didn't think. Bret responded once by saying, "Hey, this is OUR show-" and the crowd went into thunderous applause! And Jemaine told someone that they should have a microphone--meaning, you don't, so be quiet!
And another time, Jemaine mentioned that some were starting to get rowdy. But neither of them seemed upset. Someone called out a song, but Jemaine said flatly, "Not yet." And I think he referred to the set list, but I'm not sure.

Okay, I'm sure I've exhausted everyone's patience by writing so much, so I'll stop. In a sec......It was THE most FABULOUS experience I've EVER had!

Austin, I'm SO sorry for all your mishaps. I kept looking for you afterward. :( But it was delightful meeting you.
What were they talking about when Bret said, "Audience, how 'bout you?" For the life of me, I can't remember. I might be thinking of when he asked the ladies to go on tour. Idk. I'm so tired! Wired, but tired!

Okay, I've been up over 24 hours now, I'm going to bed. :zzz: Wonder what I'll dream about?

To the Conchords~ :clap: :clap: :clap:

Carol

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:53 am

Who am I kidding? I can't sleep!!!
My daughter managed to get a few pics before the ushers told her to put her camera away "NOW!" They are far away so probably not good enough to post.
She also took most of the pictures at the Meet and Greet. We need to get them put on a disc so she can crop them.
Okay, I think I've just become wiped completely out!
Night all!

Oh-follow up- The tornadoes in Murfreesboro destroyed many, many houses (and other properties) and two people were killed.
Last edited by Carol on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

trefusis

Postby trefusis » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am

Carol... wow.

I have gone all smiley and happy just reading that, so can only imagine what it must have been like for you. You must feel like you're flying :yay: Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting all that. The guys sound truly lovely.

Carol wrote:To the Conchords :clap: :clap: :clap:

From that review, I can't find words to agree with that strongly enough.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

Shovelin'Melvin
New arrival

Postby Shovelin'Melvin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Thank you for the detailed review, I enjoyed reading it :) :coffee:

I hope they tour europe someday... :pray:

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

!!WOW!! I have goosebumps from the descriptions. I'm thrilled for you guys! Absolutely thrilled!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:18 pm

wow great review carol, how exciting! (and nice to know the guys still did a meet n greet in the drizzle cuz the forecast is calling for rain for the nyc shows) i'm sorry about all the trouble you had austin...

sad about the tornado... :(
that's frozen cool...

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”