April 11 Fox Theater Atlanta

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

Re: April 11 Fox Theater Atlanta

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:26 am

These recaps are so great! I love reading them :)

:D

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 am

Yeah, thanks for the write up!

Shame about the drunken people spoiling it. I've often noticed those kind of *rude term removed* at gigs; people who are more interested in drinking and talking to each other than the actual show. Makes you wonder why they bothered turning up. Oh well, their loss for not paying attention to the guys!
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:54 am

Thank you so much girl_with_bangs (and welcome to the forums!) and JulesJules for your accounts. It was a pleasure reading them. Thanks for putting aside some time to type such detailed accounts because they are very insightful. I love finding out these sort of details about the show. They're the closest things I'll get to seeing them perfom live for the time being. I love the way they always seem to be changing it up for each show which is great to see. And yes as others have mentioned, the 'Stana' song mentions that the guy 'molests' you rather than 'rape' from what I've heard so it's not as extreme as that guy posted ;)

And about those drunk or 'over-excited' hecklers at the show...*sigh*. We can only hope that those sort of situations are kept to a minimum in future shows. I do like the way the boys, notably Jemaine, respond to those situations at times :lol:.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:56 am

Fabulous write-up, girl_with_bangs ! Most excellent!

I actually got chills when I read the part about Jemaine touching your hands. My gosh, the man is SPECIAL!

I love reading these accounts--though it makes me kind of sad that my time with the guys is over. :( But at least I had 'a time'. So, I should just shut uh-uh-up and count my blessings. I'll do that starting now. :pray:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:39 am

girl_with_bangs- I loved every word of your review- made me feel like I was there! :) Did you stay for the meet and greet after? Welcome to the board! Hope you stick around! :D

julesjules- thanks for your account as well! Glad the fisticuffs didn't happen...though it would've been nice to see the loud-mouth drunks get a bit of the old ultra-violence for pulling that at a conchords show- less than 10 feet from the boys, no less! :x Very bad form.

Anyhting else you gusy remember, please.....fill us in! We love it!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

AEW21
Lost but happy at sea

Postby AEW21 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:12 am

Self consciously, Jemaine buttoned up a top button, afraid he was revealing to much. The audience squeeledl

No such thing, Jem, no such thing.

Wonder if the boys did anything special for Easter? Maybe saw the site of D.C.?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:46 am

These are two wonderful accounts, girl and Jules! Welcome, girl_with_bangs. :wave: Enjoy!

Jules, did you do your charity event-shearing? If so, how did it go?

Did either of you meet the guys afterward?

I heard chickenkarma sent a friend in Atlanta one of her dolls for Kristen, who loved it! :yay:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:55 am

Chickenkarma made the sheeples, right? Those were awesome. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:44 am

There was a meet and greet at the gig apparently but there were barriers again.

I think the barriers being there will depend on the venue and their security policy. I doubt that aspect is anything to do with the Conchords as it would be the venue providing the crowd control etc I would think.

Thanks for the great reports :) Will say more later once awake .

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:50 am

An email in my inbox this morning from someone who was at the gig said

I patiently waited outside for 1 hour and 56 minutes in the cold with about 75 other fans! I think they were shocked fans were waiting for them. They were great! They divided the fans on two sides, and bret and jemaine went to both sides - taking photos, signing anything presented to them, and chatting with the fans!

They were doing this at least 45 minutes! Kristen came out, was also shocked by the number of fans... She also took a bunch of photos too!

Bret was telling everyone that he didn't think out his run into the audience. As soon as he hit the floor, he visually realized that the aisle was actually pretty narrow!!! So he kind of panicked when people closed in on him!

Meanwhile, Jemaine started to go into the audience... but after seeing Bret completely disappear, he simply walked off stage!!!

Explains a lot then :lol: Thanks to Leonard for the info :)

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:31 am

Nothing I can really add, except that I am inhaling these write-ups :) :clap: - thanks for sharing them. It means a lot to those of us who just have too much geography in the way to get to a live show just now...

Am consistently amazed by the way the guys are coming across as still so warm and open, despite the size of the venues.

(Hi, girl_with_bangs... don't be a stranger! :wave: )
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Carol wrote:If I remember correctly, Jemaine didn't use the word "rape" in Nashville. I believe he just said "molest". But that's not really funny either, come to think about it.
I'm sure anyone who has ever watched Inside the Actor's Studio has done that quiz at the end themselves and for me my least favorite word is rape so sorry but that's never really funny in my book. Molest, however, is hilarious. :twisted:
90% evil
ImageImage

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:39 pm

They did the molest bit in Orlando too - and it is funny=-) I suppose it can be taken out of context when you aren't actually hearing it - but it really was very funny=-) He comes on July 17th! Yeah that's it! July 17th! He comes down your chimney and molests you! But he never mentioned rape...
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi guys! I'm back from Atlanta. I've had maybe 5 hours sleep in the last two days so let's see how I do with writing a review. :worry: I'm home and just need to talk to someone about my trip so bad! Once I do I think I'll finally end my sleep deprivation for good, so here we go...

Atlanta is just under 7 hours away from me. I have never, ever been in a big city so that was sort of a shock to my system. I live in very wooded north carolina and grew up in a farming town. My current apartment is surrounded by woods. I can watch deer and beavers from my apartment window. All the sudden tall buildings and concrete everywhere! Eep! It really freaked me out! I had no idea there were places that were mostly concrete! Seriously! I expected more wild space and trees. I almost turned around and left. But, the show was really worth it, so I'm glad I hung on.

The fox theater itself is gorgeous! The theater itself helped calm me down. It was the first moment I had a reprieve from the oh-my-gosh-I've-been-dropped-in-bowels-of-hell feeling. I don't know you city girls function, but hats off to you! It is so beautiful you would not believe! I could not stay panicked I was just in so much awe. You walk in and you just freeze and go WOW! It looks very castle-y, the ceiling is blue with stars and the freakin clouds actually move. Even the house lights are a thing of beauty. I wish I knew so many people were going to boldly walk around with cameras I would have photographed every inch of the place. I did have a camera with me, but it was in my purse hidden in a rolled up pair of socks. Official sock explanation lol I didn't know if they would search me and I wanted to try for the meet and greet, so I hoped they would look and just say nothing to see here, just some nifty polka dotted socks... or something. No one searched me though, and my camera stayed tucked in the pair of socks the whole show sorry. I am very obedient if nothing else lol.

I was in the upper balcony. Not as close as I thought I would be. The nifty thing is there are little screens on each side, so you can see everyone's facial expressions etc. So I thought that was very handy. Size wise the place was packed and about the size of where you would normal see a tori amos show (only concert I've been to that's not in a club, so only reference I have...lol) To me it's a huge venue, but it might not be. It's bigger than a club, that much I know. :D But, no half capacity stuff for sure. I didn't see any empty seats from where I was at.

Jemaine introduced Kristen. Saying something like..you didn't think we could get her, but we did. Very good, very funny intro that I wish I could remember more of! Kristen rocked! I had no idea what to expect, but she was very funny and glittery!

Music: Show opened with too many dicks on the dance floor, with some dancing going on from the guys. Can't remember the whole setlist, so will state highlights for me and anything else I can remember. Jenny was great, Bret on drums on too many mutha-- (too sleep deprived to figure out how to write the rest with symbols and stuff lol) was awesome was really great live and sort of took on a new shape. I really like how so many of these songs changed and just got more dance-able acoustically. I tend to collect live tori (I have 18 hours in my i-tunes in fact, don't judge me! lol) and I could easily do that with live conchords I think. I think it's cool when an artist can sort of re-invent songs by playing them live and they have that going for them. Demon woman was fierce. That's not a word I use normally, but in this case it fits. Jemaine was on drums for a minute and then threw the drumstick off into nowhere when done (this was after first encore I think and he just happened to sit there maybe? he went back to his normal spot when done with DW). Business time made me happy for the small screens and my thoughts were not pure during this one lol. Jemaine pulled up his pant leg and showed off a sock, green I think if people want that detail? lol Stan-o I had never heard before, and I'd have to hear again before I can tell you much about it. Jenny I knew thanks to youtube and was great live! Again a song I was happy to have the screens for. Sugalumps, made me wish I had better tickets. lol. I could see Jemaine touching girls hands and jumping back saying she wanted to touch his stuff, bret doing the same thing. He went along the front rows and I have no idea where Bret went. I see the crowd surrounded him from above posts. It was more like from where I sat he kind of went poof. I saw someone from backstage peeking out a few times and motioning (checking on him maybe?) before the house lights went dark. So not sure how he got back lol. I will admit this for the first time, I have seen Bus driver song mentioned before on here and just kind of went... :whistle: like I knew what everyone was talking about. Now that I've actually heard it, I really like it. :D Yay! I'm not left out anymore of references! lol There's probably more but can't remember now...

Banter stuff: Bret picked up a water bottle with his feet, and Jemaine spun one of the robot box heads on his head saying he could do things too and but that it made his hair kind of swirly. Some one shouted take it off and they kind of shurged and said ok did take off jackets to screams and shrieks. Bret's shirt had a lion on it, which I personally found funny. I thought the animal shirts were more for the HBO show, but cool that it's also stage wear! Nigel took off his tie and hung it on the mike stand as part of the team lol. I liked Jemaines sort of tight stripey shirt much better than the blue sort of 70's jacket, so sometimes rudeness gets nice results I guess. Oh-my-gosh the screams when Jemaine did up a button. I'm sure people thought he was unbuttoning, I liked the comment he made afterward that he had done it cause he was feeling self conscious but since it got such a big reaction he might try it again in washington. They tried to do a men at work song that was mostly muttering in reaction to one yeller (I guess that's a good of word to call them as anything) which was funny. And I always enjoy it when those people are told to shut up! Can't remember anymore for now....

Loved the show! Now it was time to try for the meet and greet. We did wait a good while and I ended up putting on the socks that were hiding the camera. Thinking back on it, maybe I shouldn't have, cause I was wearing sandals. So teva sandals and polka dotted socks, but I was warm! I was also wearing what I loving call my Ugly Betty poncho. Originally, I only brought the poncho to wrap up in for the car ride cause my boyfriend would live in a meat locker if he could. I get cold super easy so the poncho is a dear friend but not what what I had initially painstakingly pre-decided on. It was going to be my favorite purple hoodie, my love sucks shirt (which has a guy vampire drinking blood out of a girls wrist... I'm shy and I hoped it would help conversation lol) and dressy shorts. BUT, after walking around a bit looking for vegetarian food in the city (I recommend the vortex for the veggie melt if you are vegetarian. It's a-freaking-a-mazing! :shock: ) I went for practical and warm cause I knew I'd be waiting a while which meant the shirt didn't show. I was really surprised how cold it was in the city! The same temp in the forest is shorts and hoodie weather, maybe the trees lock in some humidity. So I was warm...but I looked like the dork that I am! So the guys got the real me, instead of the more impressive planned me which would have been dressed a little better than the real me lol. At least I left the tye-dye crocs at home, sandals work somewhat better with polka dotted socks, hopefully? lol

The guys came out. I had no idea who was in front of me for a while cause I'm short lol. The did use the metal barriers and I do have to say it was probably a good idea, but more on in a minute. There was a door that was sort of inline with the bus, so they blocked off a wide section of path. Jemaine on one side, Bret on the other (so to meet the other you had to walk around the bus and switch sides cause you were sort of blocked in by bus and wall) and Kristen sort of floated from one side to the other. I could hear that Nigel was there but didn't see him, again too short. I was on the Jemaine side, just happened to be where I fell when they created the path. I knew who was in front of me in line, it was calm til they came out, but then it sort of turned into a roller derby environment. Girl after girl shoved in front of me. I don't know where they all came from. I had been looking around myself and the people now in front of me I hadn't even seen in line! One girl sort of jerked me to the side by the arm and I have a small bruise from her doing that, she was just that rough. I also have a good sized bruise on my high on my ribs under the bra area from a girl that elbowed me, *accidently* (giving her the benefit of the doubt) really hard. I have a section of my back that's a problem area with nerve damage and my chiro thinks disk bulging or herniations (I get adjustments and cold laser therapy for inflamation so he hasn't felt the need to do expensive x-rays cause it's keeping the equilibrium problems at bay. (the nerve damage can make me fall for no reason when acting up, like vertigo sort of)). This section of my back is always super tender and I got knocked around in that area good. I had to close my eyes a couple times being shoved caused the nerve damage to unfocus my vision and I had to breathe through it cause I didn't want to fall. So I got shoved and shoved again, and girls cut in front of me and I ended up having a panic attack cause I was in pain and being shoved aside and grabbed by the arm and moved by strange people is frightening and if you have social issues like me it's especially hard. I'm not an assertive person so I don't know how to respond to this. Two girls did say sorry when they heard me squeak in pain, but only two. So the person I was most excited to meet I met him in a state of utter panic and growing intense pain. Some of the girls that were on the side of the bus did admit I was in front of them (so that was nice! I was in front of a lot of girls actually, but having a little decency meant a lot and Jemaine complimented them on their politeness). I couldn't talk well, my voice gets very tiny when panicked and it was all due to the roller derby fan situation. So I'm not surprised he didn't acknowledge anything I said, I'm 99.99% sure he didn't hear me. This happens way too often for me to think otherwise. I think if I could meet him here (i.e. not in a scary big city but in my element) and people stayed calm I could have talked to him a bit. I practiced and everything darn it!! I got a photo and I'll post a link to my new flikr for you guys, the photo is actually good, but please keep in mind that I'm in the forefront and Jemaine is behind leaning on the railing and my head is not really that big when you look at it. (can someone shrink my side and make me look more normal? I would be in your debt forever!) He signed my cd as well. During the photo he made kind of a heavy sigh. I'm trying to convince myself that was not my fault (I was so very very good! I didn't touch him except for my arm brushed his arm a bit when I turned. I wanted an arm around me picture like some of the other girls, but I was thinking that I wanted as far out of this situation as I could get at the time) I actually thought about apologizing at the end, after meeting Bret, for whatever I did to upset him when things calmed down, but I told myself that was probably just worry thinking and hopefully the sigh was not directed at me. And probably would just be creepy. (Maybe someone did something to him behind my back? I hope so!) And I'm continuing to re-self assure myself. I hope I get another shot at this some day cause I'm a little sad thinking about this, but at least the picture is fairly good! It really sucks when you look forward to something for months and people are being so rude and thoughtless that it makes you want to just run away from someone who you were looking forward to meeting! I will hang in back and let the harpies clear out first if there's ever a next time. And you know the kicker, most of these shovey girls called him JERmaine. If you're going to knock me aside at least say his name right, damn!

I also met Kristen, had her sign my cd, couldn't talk to her either cause was still having a panic attack and the pain from being shoved in my back was steadily getting worse. I wanted to ask her why Mad Men didn't use her but for the first episode, cause I liked her in that role, but just said thank you instead. She is very nice though and was walking around outside the barrier meeting people at the end. Bret's side of the barrier was really calm! No shoving! Just him talking with people and people waiting their turn. My heart stopped pounding a bit and he was so nice to me he calmed me down some. Originally, I got an arm around me but my camera for some reason decided to go blank (I was very bravely asking strangers for pictures this whole time, boyfriend was with my doggie in the car) and I apologized for that as I fixed it. He told me it was alright and just kept calming me down. At the end he looked at the camera and said I think that's a very good one what do you think? So I guess if I didn't and gave into my horrible self criticism he would have patiently took more? See? Super nice! I said yes and told him thank you very much!...The end!

Flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37280532@N06/

Hopefully that works above...(fingers crossed) I know this is a very nice board and I love it here so I'm being very brave cause I know no one will make fun of how look. It's so nice to have this place to chat! Sorry this was long!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby jm513 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:44 pm

oh wow. That makes me sad :cry: I guess I just don't equate the guys with that kind of behavior and to hear of it from their fans make me cringe. I stood in the mass for awhile in Orlando but left before they came out. While I have no idea how people would have reacted when they did come out - they were really great while we were standing there - people telling jokes and stories. Yay that you got to meet them though! Your pictures are great!
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”