April 11 Fox Theater Atlanta

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: April 11 Fox Theater Atlanta

Postby LSully9 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks to everyone sharing their stories! I'm beyond excited for tomorrow now. Delirium, you looked great, poncho and all. :) But I'm sorry to hear people were sooo rude. I wish people would realize that it won't get them anywhere, and will probably just ruin it for everyone else...
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:22 pm

delerium- I wish I'd been there. I'd have knocked those mean girls back and given them a few bruises......meanies. :roll: I'm sorry for your bruises and pain.....

Thanks for your account- I think you're very brave to have gone alone! Knowing what I know it was a huge, huge deal and I give you and hug and pat on the back! You should be proud of yourself and hopefully, quite happy that you did it! :) Don't focus on the things that didn't go as planned- think of how wonderful the show was and how you met them...touched them...and got excellent pics!

Silly woman- your pics are fantastic and you're beautiful! Any turmoil you were feeling inside doesn't show on the outside- you just look very happy to be where you are and I don't blame you!
I'm a hairstylist and I'd love to get hold of your curly hair! :D
Last edited by LauraK on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Delerium - I am going to think Mean Thoughts about those girls. :tsk: Proper fans would respect each other, and would d*mn well get the guys' names right as well.

But to do all that on your own?! :shock: I'm impressed, lady. As a country girl myself these days, I'd have been lost in that kind of situation - and I lived in a city for a while.

Your photos are fantastic <envious smiley>. After your description of what you went through to get them, I'm amazed at how calm you look! (I know you weren't really from what you've said, but you truly can't tell that at all.) And isn't Kristen looking gorgeous? Am definitely developing a bit of a girl crush on that one :oops: .

Have a bit of virtual Arnica for those bruises :goodman: and thanks so much for your account.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:07 pm

So sorry to hear about the fanatics. Hopefully that part of the memory will fade and you'll just remember the good parts! :nod:

I was told some tips by an A&R rep for Warner Brothers, back in the day, on how to meet bands(really meet them and not just get autographs etc..)and it works wonders.

1)DON'T be the first one in(line/backstage/at the barracade). Those are usually the most excited and out of control fangirls(and some boys). They are usually first in but are the first out/away from the barracade.

2) Be relaxed and chill when meeting them. The more relaxed you are, the more relaxed they will be. Because of all the craziness being directed toward them, I'm sure their guard is up, but they will be grateful for any kind of normality.

Pretty simple rules but they do really work. I know it's hard when your meeting someone that you really, really like. Just show them a little respect and treat them like you would want to be treated. 'Nuf said.
Good luck! :thumb:
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:55 pm

deliriumtree-

It sucks that you had to go through all that discomfort to meet them. I guess that kind of behavior is expected nowadays. Pretty sad.

On the plus side, your have some excellent photos! Your head looks normal size, by the way. You look great! I would totally be annoyed by those girls calling for "JERMAINE." They probably have seen one or two episodes of the show and know nothing else about what they do. I probably would have said something catty or given them dirty looks or something. But you totally handled it with class. Unlike them, you were actually being considerate of Bret and Jemaine's comfort. Kudos to the few decent fans at the meet 'n' greet.

LauraK and I should start an anti-mean girls team for concerts and other public appearances. If I see any so-called fans disrespecting other fans at shows like that, it's on! Whaaat, b****! Whaaaa! :::raises arms in a thug-like pose:::
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Wow! Such encouragement and nice words, thank you everyone! I have doctor strength tylenol for the back pain, it's just part of life for me and my line of work. After a week of stretching I should be back to normal. Thank you for virtual arnica! Arnica is really awesome isn't it. I had a some giant monster mix dog bang the heck out of my leg and I got that down in two weeks with arnica. yay! So good to see another country girl on here too!

Laura I'd definitely let you get hold of my curly hair! No one's ever called me beautiful before, that about made me cry! Thank you!
[quote}Don't focus on the things that didn't go as planned- think of how wonderful the show was and how you met them...touched them...and got excellent pics! [/quote] I working on doing just that. I only put the good bits in my journal. :D I have a bit more of a positive outlook now that I've had some sleep. The city just kept my adrenaline going. I'd lay down and spring back up within 15 mins. Just could not hold still. It's funny that I look calm to everyone, cause I so wasn't. Good to know it doesn't show though! I was happy underneath and mixed in with all the terror though, so the happy look is real! I'm good at multi-tasking emotions lol.

tvldiva, I didn't know about the first rule until now, lol. After sleep I have more of a sense of humor about it. I will definitely go last ever after lol. It's like attack of the maenads or something, except no animals were torn apart. I think that's why meeting Bret went so well, very few people on his side by the time I got there and I almost did talk to him, but since my brain was scattered the things to say that came to mind were.
1) Do you have any cheese? (I still haven't found new zealand cheese here even with this towns weird cheese scene and I'm super curious!) and...
2) Does New Zealand have a good national health care plan? (that one was probably cause of the back pain and the fact that Sicko was on Showtime last month)
So it's probably preferable that I stayed quiet lol.

I knew the about second rule, though. I actually role played talking to the guys with a standard poodle in potty yard at work cause I finished early and he needed some romp time anyways. When I sort have an idea of what to say talking with people I don't know usually goes better, but not always. :?
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:45 pm

vmh wrote:deliriumtree-

It sucks that you had to go through all that discomfort to meet them. I guess that kind of behavior is expected nowadays. Pretty sad.

On the plus side, your have some excellent photos! Your head looks normal size, by the way. You look great! I would totally be annoyed by those girls calling for "JERMAINE." They probably have seen one or two episodes of the show and know nothing else about what they do. I probably would have said something catty or given them dirty looks or something. But you totally handled it with class. Unlike them, you were actually being considerate of Bret and Jemaine's comfort. Kudos to the few decent fans at the meet 'n' greet.

LauraK and I should start an anti-mean girls team for concerts and other public appearances. If I see any so-called fans disrespecting other fans at shows like that, it's on! Whaaat, b****! Whaaaa! :::raises arms in a thug-like pose:::

I actually didn't expect it at all. I thought it would work the same as waiting in line at wal-mart. We'd all line up and politely take turns.

I LOVE the anti-mean girls team idea! :P Thanks for thinking my head looks normal size!

Oooh! forgot to put this in the last post. My groomer friend had an idea on the sigh thing that's bugged me. She pointed out to me that I haven't had my camera too long and that I've only used it so far with the flash off since most of my pictures taken so far have been dogs and paintings (flash puts a glare on painting pics). In the line before they came out I kept trying to figure out what setting to put the the flash on, or wether to use the flash since it was night but there was some light outside and which setting would hurt the eyes the least if I did use a flash. I kept changing it over and over not being able to decide and changed it twice more while being shoved cause I was thinking Jem's glasses might make a high flash very painful, but there's 4 choices and I'm not sure what does what. I only really know the no flash symbol. Again, lots of multi-tasking! lol
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 pm

deleriumtree! Your posts! OMG! Your first one had me on the verge of tears - I am so much like you as far as being - for lack of a better word - non-confrontational. Which, does not mean, we're doormats--just less aggressive. I was pushed and shoved a bit, but funny thing was--I wasn't trying to go anywhere! I was just being patient, over by a wall!

I'm so sorry that you were bandied about like that and had to suffer through pain and panic attacks. God bless your sweet heart. Just remember: those weren't TRUE fans. I mean, JeRmaine? They were just people on a mission. Wanting to be the first ones to meet the guys. Silly people. It goes better/smoother/easier when you bide your time!

I really don't know what to say to you. You have touched my heart with your story and you've almost rendered me speechless!

And, you're pics are great, silly nilly!!!! :yawinkle:

girl_with_bangs
New arrival

Postby girl_with_bangs » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Awwwww! Everyone's so sweet on here! I'm thrilled you enjoyed my story about that amazing night. It was fun writing it. All i wanted to do today was talk about it, but, there are still so many people who have no idea who they are... Sad... they are missing out.

NEW YOUTUBE! OF CELLOTAPE!!!! The camera is very far away but at 3:12 is when Jemaine touched me with his very soft, very cold hands. LOL. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgm0nzTSTQ Their banter was tasty. And listen to the audience!! We sound good.

AHHHHH! So cool to hear about the meet and greet. I hope one day I can do that. We had to drive right back to Tallahassee that night.

Another thing. I guess the guys drove through Cabbageville GA and they were just so tickled over that town's name. -le sigh-
Jemaine was the hottest guy I ever touched. Well, ever saw, then he touched me.

Image ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:04 am

Haha, so awesome girl with bangs. Thanks for sharing your story. Re: Jemaine: cold hands, warm heart, so they say. :)
90% evil
ImageImage

tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby tvldiva » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:17 am

deliriumtree wrote:I knew the about second rule, though. I actually role played talking to the guys with a standard poodle in potty yard at work cause I finished early and he needed some romp time anyways. When I sort have an idea of what to say talking with people I don't know usually goes better, but not always. :?

I'm glad I can pass these words of wisdom on. It's like paying it forward. I think more people would be less facinated with celebrities if they met more of them. Other than being talented, they are just people. Some are actually interesting, but mostly boring average lives.
I've got to say, that's a lovey, creative way of practicing. I sure hope the dog enjoyed it. I do love standard poodles, they are great dogs. There was a gallery next to my office years ago and the owner had two black ones.
Why don't you accept me as your God!?

girl_with_bangs
New arrival

Postby girl_with_bangs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 am

SheWolf wrote:Haha, so awesome girl with bangs. Thanks for sharing your story. Re: Jemaine: cold hands, warm heart, so they say. :)

HaHaHa! So, so true. ;D
Jemaine was the hottest guy I ever touched. Well, ever saw, then he touched me.

Image ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 am

Wow, delirium tree thanks so much for sharing your account of the show with us! It's such a shame that there were some aggresive fans there. Just as other have said, reflect on all the good things that happened rather than anything you think went wrong. The pics came out great, you look fine in all of them and I love your hair too!

Thanks girl_with_bangs for posting the video of Sellotape. Wow, touching Jemaine's cold hands is definitely something to cherish ;)

And LOL at the anti-mean girls team idea, vmh! Yes them stupid girls need to be put in line ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 am

Yeah, me and vmh are going to be kicking @$$ and taking names of mean girls! :twisted: Anti-Mean Girls, unite!

delerium- I meant it, girl. If no one's ever called you beautiful before then they've certainly said it behind your back!

I love picturing you role-playing your talk with the guys with the standard poodle, lol. They're viry intelligent dogs.....did he raise an eyebrow at all? ;)

Just tell yourself that this experience sets you up for the next one, where you'll feel a bit calmer and more ready to handle all that's coming at you. And hopefully your bf will be by your side as well. :)

GWB- I saw your profile at 3:12 as Jemaine touched you......:D
Last edited by LauraK on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:21 am

DeliriumTree - thanks for the account. I like your poncho, by the way. I was picturing some yellow plastic thing like Jemaine wore, walking home with Sally. :lol: Your poncho is quite stylish.

Also, this is slightly OT (well, OK, a lot OT) but it was interesting to see your portrait of Neil Gaiman (which is very good, BTW) because the whole time I've been coming to this board, whenever I see your user name I think of Delirium from Sandman. And, since you said you are a big Tori Amos fan (and supposedly Delirium was loosely based around TA), maybe I have not been reminded of it incorrectly. ;)

Anyway - thanks again for the recap. Next time take some WTFers with you, we've got your back girl.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”