April 15 New York City

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
kellysouthpaw

Re: April 15 New York City

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:17 am

I loved that little red one so much :(

I can't believe it's gone.

I feel like we should have a moment of silence or something... :cry:

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

I hope some WTF regulars were among the lucky 10...

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:41 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:I loved that little red one so much :(

I can't believe it's gone.

I feel like we should have a moment of silence or something... :cry:

I have to agree. *sob* We need some kind of *High Five* ceremony to initiate the little white one into the fold.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 am

Agreed. It's what the red one would've wanted *starts high five chain*

Also - I heard that the guys weren't even trying to do a meet and greet - that they were trying to sneak out but the "lucky 10" caught 'em before they could escape.

I don't think I could do that knowing full well the guys were trying to get away from me :( I'd probably just let them go and cry a bit on the inside

halokiti
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby halokiti » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:42 am

I have to go through my photos, many are blurry. I also have a blurry photo of the little red piano in mid-fall. That piano was demolished. And Bret drop his "Daft Punk" robot head.

I guess we waited on the wrong side, we did not meet them. :(

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:29 am

Hi! I apologize for not reading the posts before mine, but it's been a very long couple of days and I just wanted to let you know I made it home safely in 3 hours - not bad. I thought of a couple of things on the way home:

I forgot to mention this before we all split up: Does anyone who was there know the song that Jemaine sang alone (about the e-mail breakup) as the technical difficulties during Bret's "Dicks" destruction were being ironed out? I don't think I'd ever heard it before, but I would have liked to have heard the whole song. Anybody got any idea what it could have been?

I thought about the lack of meet and greets in NYC, and I think Kristen answered that best Tues night when she said they didn't go out because Bret's sick. If someone's immune system is compromised, meeting people in 40 degree weather is not the thing to do (plus the wicked rain on Tues night! :roll: ). So be it, hopefully he'll regain strength soon, but I have to say I saw absolutely no sign of him not feeling well (okay, one small brow wipe Wed) - shows what a true pro he really is. Vocally everything was there, no alternate notes either night, just 100% from both guys. And if they have to give up a few meet and greets along the way to stay healthy and continue to do high quality shows, I say more power to them, we're behind you all the way, guys. Wednesday's show was truly wonderful! :clap:
Did anyone meet them at any other exit?
I'll post more after I go back and read everyone's comments, and post Tuesday's comments on the proper thread - sorry I kind of mushed them together. :oops:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 am

This was sent in by Katherine

I was at the NYC show both nights. 1st night they played "Bowie" not "Prostitute" and the second night it was the other way around. The MAIN thing that I must mention is that Bret and Jemaine did NOT come out to greet the NYC fans BOTH NIGHTS outside the Radio City stage door on 51st Street. The first night, it was lightly raining, we spotted Eugene Mirman who chatted briefly with onlookers. Then, Kristen Schaal came out and told the waiting group which included myself that Bret was sick and that the guys had already left. She was very upbeat and polite to fans and took pics, signed autographs and even gave some kid a hug- all in the rain. Tonight, the second night, we first spotted David Costabile who said nothing and hurriedly got a cab. After waiting about an hour and 45 minutes, finally a woman who came out the stage door, announced that she was the tour manager for "Flight of the Conchords," and that the guys had indeed left. She said that Kristen Schaal had gone with them and that there was no one left in the building that we should be waiting for . The tour manager also mentioned that it is difficult when they come to New York City and hailed a cab and left. We, the fans guessed that meant Bret and Jemaine probably have people that they know here and are spending time with.

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:26 pm

oh i'm sorry they didn't come out last night, glad you made it home safely nancy, great to see you and all the girlies, sorry i didn't say goodbye after the show i had to run for my train (no cabs so i had to walk back to penn, arrghh, i'm SO tired today!!) but omfg does anyone else agree the show last night was phenomenal, better than the tue show, sw you must have been good luck, i was so happy they did beautiful girl, and toward the end i was like waah what about sellotape which i was hoping for most and then they wound up playing it last with everyone singing and clapping along and i was like YAY--unfortunately my camera SUCKS and i couldn't even get good pics from up front, it must be on the wrong settings or something cuz most of them are blurry, i was annoyed i was wasting time fiddling with it trying to get pics when they came close to me, when J walked over during sugalumps i almost fell over (got a good look at the outfit and i really think they need to hire sw and me to be in charge of his wardrobe for the rest of the tour--tho the sunglasses tshirt underneath was adorable)--seemed like there was more banter last night, i can't think of what else cuz i'm so freakin tired and have to go get ready for work, it was a fun couple of days tho, i'll try to weed through my pics when i get home from work later and post the decent ones, at least we know bibli got some ROCKIN pics (hopefully some of the jman last night too! :pray: )
that's frozen cool...

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:45 pm

Nancy wrote:So be it, hopefully he'll regain strength soon, but I have to say I saw absolutely no sign of him not feeling well (okay, one small brow wipe Wed) - shows what a true pro he really is. Vocally everything was there, no alternate notes either night, just 100% from both guys. And if they have to give up a few meet and greets along the way to stay healthy and continue to do high quality shows, I say more power to them, we're behind you all the way, guys.

I've been thinking this ever since the word broke of his feeling poorly. Talk about a trooper! :clap:

Glad the show was another great one and look forward to hearing more about the banter, etc.

Surprised to hear about the little red piano. :shock: Would love to hear about that. Whew, sure a good thing they had a backup white one, eh? :yawinkle:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Phenomenal show. The highlights for me were:

Too Many Dicks - cut short by Bret wrecking his piano and losing his robot head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGSlEqdv4_A

Stana, which sounds like an expansion of the Texan Odyssey theme.
Prostitute - complete with Bret forgetting some lyrics, adorably.
Same Girl/Sugalumps. There were some good pics to be taken there as Jemaine pointed to his rump etc. I raised by lightened swizzle stick in delight when we got a crotch shot on the jumbotran.
DEMON WOMAN!!!! Jemaine’s voice is unbelievably strong. My fave song of the night.
Both guys looked seriously amazing on the big screen. :shock: They seemed to gain energy as the night went on and the encore was fantastic with us all standing during Sellotape and the guys having a picture taken of them and the audience.

The audience was no real problem. The proverbial Freebird request came early and Jemaine grumbled “Don’t get us started.” Frankly I think if their banter was a bit tighter and they ignored the hecklers they could have eliminated most of it anyway. The shout outs only really came in the down time in between songs when they seemed to have no plan.
I tried to take pix but they were crap so I gave up early on.

Todd Barry and the dude who plays Doug were seated near me and seemed to really enjoy the show. Bibli and Nancy saw Todd picking up his will call ticket when I was inside picking up mine.

No meet and greet. We were told by the tour manager that it was hard to do in NYC with so much going on and Bret was still a bit run down.
Last edited by SheWolf on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:04 pm

Nancy Hillner wrote:I forgot to mention this before we all split up: Does anyone who was there know the song that Jemaine sang alone (about the e-mail breakup) as the technical difficulties during Bret's "Dicks" destruction were being ironed out? I don't think I'd ever heard it before, but I would have liked to have heard the whole song. Anybody got any idea what it could have been?
I'd love to know what that song was. Jemaine's voice was gorgeous. I wish we could have heard more.

The skeptical/paranoid part of me wonders if Bret being rundown is really the reason for no meet and greets. He's been spotted out and about in town during the day and his voice was plenty strong last night, stronger, in fact, than I've ever heard it. I'm not saying he isn't sick, not at all, I just wonder if it isn't perhaps a convenient excuse not to meet. Maybe they were overwhelmed by the early meet/greets and find it too time consuming? I was given a bit of hope by the tour manager saying it was difficult to do in NYC (someone said the first night they went to an after show party or something, don't know if that's true) meaning perhaps they will resume elsewhere. I hope so!
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 pm

chickenkarma wrote:I got a text from a friend and they met the guys.
It was fast and there were only about 10 people
Aw poop. As if turns out I saw Kelly, she was near me outside but I didn't know it was her until I saw her pic today. :(
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Claire, did any of that toy piano crashing happen near you or were you on Jemaine's side?
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:59 pm

I'm still mourning the loss of Little Red. (Though my delight at Turnip's description of "going Pete Townsend on a zygotic piano" is helping to ease the pain. :))

I have to say, I admire how philosophical you ladies are being about the whole meet and greet thing. For myself, I will be extremely disappointed if they don't come out to see us after the Portland show. However, with you ladies as my role models I will attempt to bravely soldier on. ;)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:03 pm

mockingbird wrote:I'm still mourning the loss of Little Red. (Though my delight at Turnip's description of "going Pete Townsend on a zygotic piano" is helping to ease the pain. :))

I have to say, I admire how philosophical you ladies are being about the whole meet and greet thing. For myself, I will be extremely disappointed if they don't come out to see us after the Portland show. However, with you ladies as my role models I will attempt to bravely soldier on. ;)

Same. Though I'd love to have the personal strength to be a trooper if they don't do a meet and greet for my show - I will be pretty disappointed as well. We'll have to be strong for each other, mockingbird. I was just thinking you and I should make shirts with a RIP Little Red with a picture of the piano on it and wear it to our respective shows...it'd definitely break the ice with the guys if they DO do a meet and greet (heh. Heh. Do do...)

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”