April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: Toronto- April 21+22nd

Postby mockingbird » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:07 am

I fully support that. I think you should post on every thread, constantly, regardless of whether you have anything to say or not. :lol:

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Re: April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am

No meety-greety tonight, but none of us mind at all. We've just gotten home, and at 2:30 in the morning, we're still glowing and smiling from ear to ear. It was honestly one of the loveliest nights of my life, and to be able to enjoy it with people who were just as excited and nervous and happy as I was - well, no words. Life doesn't often hand you that kind of emotional synchronicity, so it's unbearably sweet when it does. Man, am I one lucky girl.

I'm going to wash my face and brush my teeth and get into my nightie, and see if my eyelids feel like staying open long enough to post some of the lovely details of the gig tonight. In the meantime, here's a little tiny token of my beating, happy heart:

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 am

Sweet dreams, dear Turnip! :waggle: :D
Those of us in the other hemisphere are viry jealous y'know... :wink:

The 22nd is almost over down here but there's still another show to go for Toronto isn't there? Are you able to get back to see if there's a meet & greet for that one?...*fingers crossed for you!*

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 am

Ok so Emily sent this in via email. Not much about the actual gig however :doh: :lol: Shall be using bits of it in the round up

Hi!

Just wanted to send in some information about the FOTC that happened in Toronto tonight.

The good news: The guys were AMAZING - they sounded great, looked great, and as always, engaged in some very witty banter. They played for nearly 2 hours (including the lone encore).
The bad news: Robots and Rhymenocerous vs. Hiphopopotamous was not on the set list. And the hecklers were in full force. I would say that 85-90% of the crowd interaction was to address the heckling. The guys handled it quite good-naturedly for the most part and then Jemaine seemed to get genuinely annoyed by one heckler.

Memorable heckling incidents:
1) This happened very early on in the show - Jemaine scolded the someone who yelled out, "Where's Mel?!" for heckling something so unoriginal. He said he could do better. After they performed Stana, Bret said the song was too long and another concertgoer yelled, "That's what she said!" Both Bret and Jemaine responded positively to that. Jemaine then turned to the first heckler and said, "Now that's how you do it!"

2) After going on a rant about hecklers, Jemaine said, "We've just spent a month in America, we're very arrogant now." At that point, a group of female American concertgoers yelled out that they were American and that they wanted the guys to sign their poster. Jemaine noted that there were a lot of emotions going on there at the same time because they were yelling something equivalent to "F- YOU! WE LOVE YOU!" and Bret teased the girls by doing another imitation, "F- YOU! WE'RE AMERICANS! SIGN OUR POSTER! F- YOU!"

3) Towards the end of the set, one guy from the balcony yelled out one of the racist fruit vendor's lines, "New Zealanders are unhygienic!" Jemaine thought he said, "All New Zealanders are like Jenny" but the heckler clarified what he had said and then added, "Do you want me to come down there?!" Jemaine said yes and that he should jump down from the balcony. Bret said that he thought this was a very interesting solution to their hygiene problem unless the heckler was going to jump down with some soap and shower gel.

4) Shortly after the 3rd incident, another concertgoer tried to continue the joke by yelling, "YOUR HAIR IS GREASY!" I think that she may have been yelling other things beforehand because at that point, Jemaine turned to her and said, "Hey lady, shut up!" And then he looked at the rest of the audience and said, "You were ALL thinking that! You were all thinking that!" I don't know how serious he was but seemed to be actually annoyed/semi-offended.

Girls also threw various things on stage all night - jellybeans, toothbrush, stuffed animal - when the guys sang the corresponding lyrics.

That's all! Your website is awesome btw..

- Emily

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:18 am

I wouldn't want to do a meet and greet under conditions like that ...

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 am

Ummmm, teeny tiny fans in Canada then :shock:

Jemaine and Bret take off - Flight of the Conchords has fans in its pockets
Apr 22, 2009 04:30 AM

Greg Quill - Entertainment columnist

From the intensity of the response last night to New Zealand faux-folk-pop duo Flight of the Conchords – at the first of two consecutive sold-out nights at Massey Hall – those unfamiliar with the cult comedy stars' enormous success via their hit HBO series might be forgiven for expecting a performance by a major league rock act.

From the minute they walked on stage – wearing cardboard boxes on their heads – and launched into their hilarious mock-disco masterpiece, "Too many Dicks On The Dance Floor," guitarists-singers Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie had the crowd in their pockets.

Lighter on banter than most comedy acts, the pair relied heavily on their songs for laughs – most of them loosely structured ruminations on love, failure, miscommunication and the curse of mediocrity built around cleverly articulated minimalist arrangements – and reeled off many of their "hits."

Among the most memorable were "Jenny," a conversation between apparent lovers who apparently don't even know one another, the outrageously funny rap take, "Hurt Feelings," the spaghetti western epic "Ballad of Stana," the foreplay routine "Business Time" and the absurdist children's song, "Abbie The Racist Dragon."

Assisted by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra – a cellist in prom drag named Nigel – the Flight of the Conchords achieved with their gentle humour and understated use of irony the kind of mystical awe arena bands covet.

Source

And Abbie? A very uncool name for a dragon if ever there was one :hrmpf: :tsk:

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:01 pm

Wow. I am from Vancouver. I would personally like to apologize for Toronto. I really hope Vancouver doesn't let me down like that! ugh.

I am glad to hear the ladies commenting earlier had a steller time though!

xxx
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:11 pm

2) After going on a rant about hecklers, Jemaine said, "We've just spent a month in America, we're very arrogant now." At that point, a group of female American concertgoers yelled out that they were American and that they wanted the guys to sign their poster. Jemaine noted that there were a lot of emotions going on there at the same time because they were yelling something equivalent to "F- YOU! WE LOVE YOU!" and Bret teased the girls by doing another imitation, "F- YOU! WE'RE AMERICANS! SIGN OUR POSTER! F- YOU!"

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good old USA - we have no problem chewing you up, spitting you out and chewing you up again.
But it's all in the name of love :love: .
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Re: Toronto- April 21+22nd

Postby The Talking Stove » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:18 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
The Talking Stove wrote:Woo! Hope its a cracking gig. Still jealous though :snakeman:
Can us Brits persuade someone who's going to try and meet the boys to ask them about coming to the UK? :D

Someone has already - Bret said they were going to try really hard.

Oh! :-o Thanks, and thanks to whoever asked, if they pass by :-)
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:21 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
bibliaddict wrote:Thanks all for your northbound good vibes. Amanda, Turnip & I are just back from a quick trip to Eaton Centre for lunch & browsing to kill time before the show. All three of us have fresh manicures and will be looking FIERCE, like sexy librarians. We are all a little nervous about the possible meet & greet - what to say? I may become so tongue-tied with Bret that I'll end up asking for a goldfish.

Seriously. Ask him for a goldfish. He'll LOVE it! :roll2:

You ladies will be FINE! Enjoy yourselves and please give us as many details as possible :pray:

:rolls: Someone really should ask Bret for a goldfish :lol:

Glad you guys had a great time last night Turnip! Thanks for sharing the picture of Bret on the drums :D

Hmm shame about the hecklers though.

And yes The Talking Stove, someone asked about a UK tour and Bret said they're working on a UK tour "in the next year" :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LSully9 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:23 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:Image

You have just made me so very insanely happy. :D
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:06 pm

Can't wait to hear more accounts. I'd hate to think it was all about the heckling. How very un-Canadian :oops: . If we're not careful we'll have the guys thinking we're like... Australians! :lol:

Sherry wrote:And Abbie? A very uncool name for a dragon if ever there was one

Clearly his tickets should have gone to someone more deserving :tsk:

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Ick I wish I hadn't read Emily's account. I feel badly for them having to deal with that kind of thing. Could that be the reason for no meety/greet? (seemed to be the case last year in San Fran and this year in DC with bad audiences).
90% evil
ImageImage

slut_angel22@yahoo

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:34 pm

The one thing the no M & G's all have is....rain. At least for Toronto last night, that's what the Weather Channel showed. But someone from T will have to enlighten us.

Hmmmm...maybe not though, maybe not.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:40 pm

slut_angel22@yahoo wrote:The one thing the no M & G's all have is....rain. At least for Toronto last night, that's what the Weather Channel showed.
No. It rained in Ohio and they did a meet and greet and it rained lightly in Nashville and they did one. The only no meets they've done were supposedly do to Bret's illness so I think DC was included in that.

Hey nice avatar Sully. :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”