April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

Postby mockingbird » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:48 pm

SheWolf wrote:It rained in Ohio and they did a meet and greet and it rained lightly in Nashville and they did one. The only no meets they've done were supposedly do to Bret's illness so I think DC was included in that.

Was it after those M&Gs that Bret got sick? Maybe they're avoiding the rain now so that doesn't happen again.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:49 pm

No they did a m/g in the rain in Ohio on Sunday, after Bret's illness.
90% evil
ImageImage

MissBoo
Lost but happy at sea

Another (non professional) review of last night's show

Postby MissBoo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:52 pm

I saw the guys for the first time last night, the show was wonderful.

Eugene Mirman opened for them - he was terrific (I have to admit I find him oddly attractive), and got a lot of laughs. One of his longer bits was a rant against Delta Airlines, who apparently lost his luggage on a recent flight. I have a major beef with Bell Canada (Canadian telephone/internet provider), so now I'm thinking I might become a comedian so I can trash them in my act and have everyone laugh. I would definitely check Eugene out again though, he's another funny man.

The Conchords came onto the stage right after Eugene left - they had their Robot cardboard head pieces on as well as the mirrorball codpieces, and did Too Many Dicks. At this point I decided they probably had pretty much the perfect job; getting paid to be goofy, and people love you for it. Very cool. Jemaine also told us that this song had its origin in Vancouver, apparently something someone said in a club that struck a cord with them.

The show was wonderful and of course all of the songs are fabulous and funny but I though Bret and Jemaine's between songs banter was especially hilarious; Jemaine especially seems to be quick on the uptake when it comes to dealing with hecklers (a phenomenon I don't understand at all) and the cheer he got when he finally told the woman to shut up was one of the most enthusiastic of the night. And he was right, we were all thinking it. I really didn't think the heckling was as big of a deal as I've read/heard though, it was annoying but it didn't happen an awful lot. None of the heckler said "eh" afterwards either, so it would be pretty hard to identify their country of origin.

The guys played for quite awhile, I got to hear lots of favs (alas not If You're Into It though) -and were asked to be in the choir of Jemaine's former girlfriends so I'm going to refer to myself as one from now on (woot) - and did another four songs in the encore. Excellent!

A fantastic evening all 'round - I met Amanda, Asmallturnip and Bibliaddict beforehand for dessert and frothy beverages which was like the icing on the cake, they're awesome and I really enjoyed meeting them. Seeing the guys live was amazing and I'm a bigger fan than ever.

I didn't get any great photos, but I know the others did, I'm sure you'll see them posted at some point. The guys looked fabo though; they're definitely both yummy.

:)

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:53 pm

Well then I have no theory.

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Me either.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

The boys are waking up somewhere in my beloved city. However, judging by the show last night in terms of hecklers, I bet the wish they were somewhere else! What an absolute shame, considering Massey Hall is the best venue in Toronto...

Could the over the top heckling be the reason for the lack of meet and greet? Would you really want to meet the people that were insulting your hair? I think not.

Night two this eve- PLEASE Toronto, have a better showing. Represent well. We are supposed to be the New Zealand of the North... Although Toronto isn't necessarily indicative to the rest of Canada either. Anyone from upstate NY or Buffalo would have surely made the trip...

I wonder what they will do today in the city???
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Re: Another (non professional) review of last night's show

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

MissBoo, thank you for the great review. (You may want to move it to the other thread though as it may get missed on its own.)

Yeah, the hecklers didn't say 'eh'! :rolls:

Post your pics anyway, they may not be as bad as you think. And we are always hungry for pics.

MissBoo
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Another (non professional) review of last night's show

Postby MissBoo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Thanks Suzy! I did mean to reply in the Toronto thread and not start a new topic, can we move new threads on our own or does Sherry have to do it (I have asked her to do so)?

Really, my photos are unrecognizable as anything but two human forms covered in white lights. I could post them in a web board for paranormal activity, but not here unfortunately. I know the other ladies got excellent photos though and said they would post them, so be prepared to be awed and amazed.

The guys looked great. :D

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

Since the rain/illness thing doesn't fly my only theory is that they were irked by the audience. It was only one person's account so I'll take it with a grain of salt but from the sounds of it it the heckling was quite bad, the worst I've heard this tour anyway

At one of the shows I was at recently (sorry they are starting to blur in my mind, perhaps it was 2nd philly show?) Jemaine's response to some heckling was "shut up" or "you're ruining the show." Pretty direct I would say and I'm sure he meant every word even though it was couched in a somewhat humorous tone.
90% evil
ImageImage

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm

What's going on with this thread? :rolleyes:
90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:06 pm

C'mon back and tell us more, ladies!

What was your poster like and how much was it? Pics,pics,pics- please! Any and all- they don't have to be perfect. We wanna see. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm also dying to know which leisure suit Mr. Clement was wearing. Did that day off mean a trip to the laundromat?

MissBoo
Lost but happy at sea

Postby MissBoo » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:27 pm

SuzyBatt wrote:I'm also dying to know which leisure suit Mr. Clement was wearing. Did that day off mean a trip to the laundromat?
- he was wearing a two piece denim thing. Which did look leisure suitish but fit him quite well. He fills out a pair of trousers quite nicely.

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Photos from last night's show. Source: Chart Attack.

http://www.chartattack.com/photos/fligh ... sey-hall-4

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Good shoes Jem...

Where is MissBoo's recap???? I can't seem to find it!

NEVERMIND!!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”