April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Re: April 21 - Toronto (first of two nights)

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Another email on the gig

Sherry, this was my very first time seeing the guys and it blew my socks off.

Notable highlights:

The crowd was full of hecklers and the boys were very, very witty in how they handled them. For example, someone in the balcony exclaimed that New Zealanders are unhygienic, and threatened to jump. The boys simply pointed out that it would have been a much more effective threat if the guy threatened to come down with shower gel.
Some lady kept running up to the stage and throwing stuff at the guys. Tooth brushes during Business Time, jellybeans during Alby, an eye patch (at least I think it was from her - Bret put one on mid-song), a stuffed monkey... Somehow, security let her keep doing it.
There was a VERY sexy and up close dance during Sugar Lumps to close the show before the first and only encore.
Fans waited for a few hours outside the stage doors. I went away, had dinner, and there were still a few hopefuls standing around when I came out.
A rabid fan in the front row who had just turned 21 and who I believe was from the States nearly pulled herself up on stage when Bret graciously gave her his hand during a song. She also heckled them (I think it was her, I was a few rows behind her), shouting that they had greasy hair... And Toronto moaned because Toronto is better than that.
Jemaine and Bret were playing good cop bad cop with the crowd, or so Jemaine felt. We booed when Jemaine told us the show was nearly over, and clapped when Bret said the same thing a few minutes later. Jemaine was upset about that.
Jemaine said Canada is known for its politeness and that we weren’t reinforcing our own stereotype :)

Over all, a fantastic show. The guys were funny. The banter was great. The songs were well done. The interaction with the audience was the best part of all. I was really hoping to run into them around the venue, but I’ll have to wait until next time.

Sent in by Sarah. Thanks for sharing :)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Everyone hears it differently or has a different take on the events :lol:

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Toronto- April 21+22nd

Postby WhippetGood » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Sherry wrote:
WhippetGood wrote:I'll be there for show 2! I can pick up merch, I've got my shopping bag, oops I mean my DH. Just pm me. :D

I recognise that whippet!

Good to see you here :) :rock:

Thanks Sherry! You've created a fun place to hang out in!
Less than an hour before I leave for Toronto. :D

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 pm

Whippet, I love your avatar, so cute! My neighbors have a whippet/terrier mix and wanted to name him Devo. :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:51 pm

OmgSarah- thanks for your acct. Sorry they didn't do meety-greety last night.....could you just show up after tonight's show and wait? There's a good chance it'll happen......:)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Shirt mission SUCCESSFUL!!!! Friend's sister is going. Thank goodness for facebook!!!!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:15 pm

LauraK - I would but I'm afraid I have simply no way down there tonight. I live about 30 minutes away and there's not much of a chance of me getting down there tonight. I would seriously love to go again. Maybe if one of the ladies I met from last night was in my area, or keen on coming and swinging by my area to bring me down with them, I would be forever grateful. I was so bummed when I had to walk away last night, heh.

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:21 pm

bibliaddict wrote:Turnip is after me to testify re: last night, so here it is:

[Joisey accent] YOU CALL DAT HECKLING! YA BUNCHA AMATEURS! MY GRAMMA GIVES THE PRIEST A HARDER TIME AT SUNDAY MASS![/Joisey accent]

Seriously, Jemaine had everything under control, and the guys had a field day razzing anyone who occasionally piped up. We gave then two standing O's, and at the end of the show, Jemaine specifically said "You were a wonderful audience."

Massey Hall was just a fantasticvenue to see them in. NYC folks, it's like Town Hall - small, intimate. If the guys had done HvR, Jemaine easily could have impregnated well into the 15th row. I'd travel here to see a show again, definitely.

Meeting Miss Boo and parttimemodel for before-show drinks & dessert (always start with dessert...) was a treat. This board really attracts great people! After the show, we met Etan (sp?) from Rochester, who drove in to catch the guys and waited as long as he could (past midnight!!) before making the trek back to get to a 10am class - hope you got enough coffee, man! OmgSarah, you & your crew were a riot to wait with. Too bad the white van never returned...

4/21 fun fact - the posters had misprints! They're dated 4/23 and have Kristen as the opener! Someone mentioned having Eugene (who was superfunny) editing the poster when he signed it.

My photos from the gig linked below. Yes, I went nuts, I know.

Album #1
Album #2
Album #3
Album #4

Oh, you were one of them? That's fantastic. I had such a wonderful time with you. I'm sorry, but what is your name again? What time did you end up leaving, soon after us or quite a bit after? I feel sort of bad for prompting the crowd to believe that hadn't left yet but I had too much optimism in me at the moment, hah.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:21 pm

OmgSarah wrote:Oh, you were one of them? That's fantastic. I had such a wonderful time with you. I'm sorry, but what is your name again? What time did you end up leaving, soon after us or quite a bit after? I feel sort of bad for prompting the crowd to believe that hadn't left yet but I had too much optimism in me at the moment, hah.

Heeeeee! It's us! I'm the girl who's from England, who used to go to U of T, wearing the dangly earrings. Amanda's the one who's from Barcelona, with the dark eyes and shiny long hair. Bibliaddict's the one from New Jersey with the gorgeous curly hair who had been to the two shows at the Radio City Music Hall. Which one were you? You were all absolutely adorable.

We left about ten minutes after you lovely ladies. There was a moment of excitement when three security guards poked their heads out of the stage door, but it didn't come to anything, sadly. But it was still wonderful to chat to you, and I'm so sorry we won't see you again tonight. But if the boys do come out (no guarantees there, obviously), I'll be sure to hug them extra tightly for you, okay? I promise.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:
OmgSarah wrote:Oh, you were one of them? That's fantastic. I had such a wonderful time with you. I'm sorry, but what is your name again? What time did you end up leaving, soon after us or quite a bit after? I feel sort of bad for prompting the crowd to believe that hadn't left yet but I had too much optimism in me at the moment, hah.

Heeeeee! It's us! I'm the girl who's from England, who used to go to U of T, wearing the dangly earrings. Amanda's the one who's from Barcelona, with the dark eyes and shiny long hair. Bibliaddict's the one from New Jersey with the gorgeous curly hair who had been to the two shows at the Radio City Music Hall. Which one were you? You were all absolutely adorable.

We left about ten minutes after you lovely ladies. There was a moment of excitement when three security guards poked their heads out of the stage door, but it didn't come to anything, sadly. But it was still wonderful to chat to you, and I'm so sorry we won't see you again tonight. But if the boys do come out (no guarantees there, obviously), I'll be sure to hug them extra tightly for you, okay? I promise.

I was the one in the bright red jacket - awfully loud banter and encouragement to stick around, hah. Oh, and I always asked Amanda about knowing someone named Ivonne, hah. I'll eventually post you a photo or something. All of you were so very sweet! I was a tad sad to leave because I loved the company. The only girl I came with was the tanned girl, short curly-ish hair who talked about being a Hanson fan, hah. Unfortunately, I wasn't with the other two or the boys who came in and out. I still cannot believe someone ran in and stole that fire extinguisher........ honestly my least favorite part of the night.
Yes - please. I wish I could join you ladies! Are you going to the concert again or just the same place for a chance of a meet and greet?

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:27 am

Ooh thanks so much everyone for sharing your accounts and lovely pictures of the show! Sounds like you had a blast. Sorry to hear you didn't get to meet them OmgSarah but hopefully they'll be another opportunity for you to do so. Aww it's great reading about forum members meeting up and having a good time :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:43 am

Venus wrote:Ooh thanks so much everyone for sharing your accounts and lovely pictures of the show! Sounds like you had a blast. Sorry to hear you didn't get to meet them OmgSarah but hopefully they'll be another opportunity for you to do so. Aww it's great reading about forum members meeting up and having a good time :)

Regardless, I still had a fabulous time! I'm sure the boys had a reason for wanting to go right home - lord knows I have those days, too. They were great - Eugene Mirman was great, Nigel was great. My sister told me that she was reading a friends livejournal and he said he ran into Eugene at a bar downtown last night. Looks like at least one of them were getting a good feel for the Toronto life, hah. I will definitely make sure to keep an eye out for them the next time they have a concert... and I'll try for floor seats this time, hah.

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Ok I take it back! Sounds like Toronto's heckler's weren't that bad. I keep hearing mixed things.

Hopefully the guys will come out tonight.

Have a great time. Hug Jemmy for me.

xxx
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:51 am

bibliaddict wrote:[Joisey accent] YOU CALL DAT HECKLING! YA BUNCHA AMATEURS! MY GRAMMA GIVES THE PRIEST A HARDER TIME AT SUNDAY MASS![/Joisey accent]

Ha ha ha! :lol:

Thanks for the recaps and pictures, ladies - I'm so glad you all had a good time.

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 am

M-DOG wrote:Ok I take it back! Sounds like Toronto's heckler's weren't that bad. I keep hearing mixed things.

Hopefully the guys will come out tonight.

Have a great time. Hug Jemmy for me.

xxx

Honestly, they really weren't. For the most part, it was done in a very sarcastic and obvious jokey way. I hardly think people remembered that when they left the concert. However, one thing struck me as odd. A "fan" threw over a sign that said "Go Home" .. why do people spend money on tickets if they simply want to heckle the band? Really makes no sense to me!

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”