The Tour Posters

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: The Tour Posters

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Mitch, wecome! I have four of the tour posters now. (so far) Great series! :supz: It makes it awfully hard to choose though. I can't wait for the poster I just ordered from you to arrive. Thanks for the great pricing too. I hate being scalped on ebay. I see several designs have already sold out. You probably could have charged more, huh? You're a prince.

Where are you shipping from, may I ask?
Image..Image..Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks for stopping by and explaining Mitch. Much appreciated.

Many of us have followed the tour posters with interest and have had much enjoyment seeing each one unveiled so to speak. And spent hours tracking down the artist/online info :lol:

I personally love that the Conchords went with this set up for their tour posters. Makes them so much more appealing (and collectable) to think they are all limited runs and done by well known names in their field.

There were some that were big favourites amongst fans and have been like gold dust to track down so its good to know that there is a chance more will be available eventually.

If you check back in on this thread, any chance you could shed some light as to how the Conchords decided to go with this and how long you've been working on it all to put it together? I'd imagine any tour would take some effort to pull all the artists together and have the posters done in time. O and any news on the Toronto posters? There were 28 sold the first night before the mistakes were spotted. I'm guessing those will be corrected eventually be up for sale somewhere online.

mcnail
New arrival

Postby mcnail » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Shipping from the most random place on Earth.....Iowa.

I actually do not know what happened with Toronto. FOTC people could probably answer that better.

As far as how this happened, I was lucky enough to be recommended by some poster artists to curate the series, and the band thought it was a good idea. I do it for a number of bands, I am actually working on a big series for Sonic Youth right now. It is a large effort, but very rewarding and fun.

Again, I'm glad you all liked it, and everyone involved really appreciates it!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:19 pm

Mitch: Hey, I'm from the most random place on Earth too! 8) Hawkeye or Cyclone? or neither? I guess I could've just dropped by and picked up my poster if you're in/near DM. :wink:
Image..Image..Image

mcnail
New arrival

Postby mcnail » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Hawkeye alum. Live in Sioux City though, not too close to DM. Cheers!

RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby RubyRed » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:42 pm

mcnail wrote:Shipping from the most random place on Earth.....Iowa.

I actually do not know what happened with Toronto. FOTC people could probably answer that better.

As far as how this happened, I was lucky enough to be recommended by some poster artists to curate the series, and the band thought it was a good idea. I do it for a number of bands, I am actually working on a big series for Sonic Youth right now. It is a large effort, but very rewarding and fun.

Again, I'm glad you all liked it, and everyone involved really appreciates it!

I'm curious about the Vegas poster....was there ever only one design for Vegas? I notice most cities boast a couple of designs.

BTW, Welcome!!

M

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:55 pm

RubyRed wrote:I'm curious about the Vegas poster....was there ever only one design for Vegas? I notice most cities boast a couple of designs.

BTW, Welcome!!

M

I never noticed that :hrm: I know a few cities had more than one if playing more than one night. And there were a handful of cities that I found posters for that were not used in the end for whatever reason. But I can't say I ever found more than that. Did I miss some then :hrm:

RubyRed

Postby RubyRed » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Sherry wrote:
RubyRed wrote:I'm curious about the Vegas poster....was there ever only one design for Vegas? I notice most cities boast a couple of designs.

BTW, Welcome!!

M

I never noticed that :hrm: I know a few cities had more than one if playing more than one night. And there were a handful of cities that I found posters for that were not used in the end for whatever reason. But I can't say I ever found more than that. Did I miss some then :hrm:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering about...if there were poster designs floating around for Vegas that weren't used for whatever reason or if Nic's was the only one commissioned.

Sorry, should have worded that better. I just got my first cup of coffee in me.

M

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:12 pm

I like to think Nic's was the only one commisioned for Vegas. Just because she has known them for a long time and has done artwork for them in the past. I'd find it a bit :worry: if they had someone else draw one up and turned it down and then asked Nic as a fall back or second choice :| In fact I'd rather not know :hrmpf: :lol: Hers is one of my favourites from the tour.

But then maybe there was always more than one option for each. No idea. Seems like a lot of work though. And not really needed when such good artists were working on them. No clue. Saying that, a couple of the ones not used are very cool. And I actually prefer them over the ones used :roll: But then what appeals to one doesn't to another :lol:

I'm liking the Silent Giants ones a lot and some of the Tyler Stout ones. O and the Berkeley one :D And a few others :lol: 8)

RubyRed

Postby RubyRed » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah, I think Nic's is the best of the tour...and I'm not just saying that cause I went to that show. I just wonder how the whole process unfolds, too...like for the cities where we've seen multiple designs (used/unused versions). I wonder if they commission a bunch of different artists and pick the best one or is it like you said: do they commission someone and then decide they don't like the design and go to someone else?

I would lean towards Nic being the only artist for Vegas, too. And then I'd like to ask her, did she get to CHOOSE which city to design or did they say, "You have Vegas, get to it, Lady!"? Her design is just so perfect for the guys and the city...

M

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:23 pm

All being well I can ask her about the poster once she is back from her holiday and drops me a line :)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:36 am

I would really love the Vegas and Berkeley posters. But both of them are sold out. Typical. *pout*

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:44 am

I just got the Todd Slater Minneapolis poster, so thanks!
Due to the horrible traffic at Northup, I couldn't get near the merch table.
So this is nice! :D
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Cuse

Postby Cuse » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:28 am

Great job, Mitch. There were a few (like Atlanta) that I thought didn't fit the city they were for, but they were all great designs.

As someone who has bought some mediocre tour posters, I wish more bands would do things like this. Seems it's not a big priority for a lot of bands.

Personally, I'm hoping you do the next Grizzly Bear tour. :D

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:53 am

Just found some of the Red Rocks posters that were printed but not used] for sale on e-bay. There was also one of the other [one that did get used] Red Rocks on e-bay.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/PosterScene__W0QQ_sidZ937845?_nkw=flight+of+the+conchords&submit=Search

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”