April 18th - Tower Theater (2 shows!)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Re: April 18th - Tower Theater (2 shows!)

Postby LSully9 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:45 pm

slut_angel22@yahoo wrote:What's Bret got wrapped about his neck?

A scarf. To protect that wonderful voice. :sigh:

He coughed a bit during the early show...Jemaine commented on his phlegminess and told him that he shouldn't be coughing up into his microphone. At that point, my hopes were pretty low for a meeting, but I knew there was no other way out so I went around back just hoping to get a wave as they got on the bus.
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.

claire
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby claire » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:28 pm

yay, great pics sully, glad you got to meet them! :D
that's frozen cool...

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:00 pm

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Zap
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Zap » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm

My god, what a perfect, amazing experience! We went to the 10pm show. The night was absolutely beautiful, 70 degrees and clear, and you could feel there was an excellent energy among the people milling outside the theater . The adjacent street had been closed and a huge eclectic crowd of happy people were wandering around it. Many people had been to the 7pm show as well and were remarking on how great that show had been.

Jemaine (I think) did a hilarious announcement to introduce Kristen, who absolutely killed. She did a bunch of short plays: one about a pot and a lid getting it on in front of a rejected spoon, one about the autobiography of a mattress, one about a young girl seduced by the marijuana, plus some other stuff. She was on for a good long time – half an hour, maybe? She was wearing her golden genie pants, and called out a woman in the front row who was wearing a full-on glittering gold ensemble.

Jem and Bret came out in their Robot suits and did Too Many Dicks On the Dancefloor, complete with disco codpieces (which I think were made by a fan and gifted to B&J at the 7pm show). I can't recall the entire setlist, but it definitely included, in no particular order:

Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor
Hurt Feelings (“It takes a long time to make a motherf*cking casserole!” Best version ever)
Sugarlumps
Mermaids
Carol Brown
Stana
Jenny
Robots
If You're Into It
Mutha 'Uckas (a very slowed-down version)
Most Beautiful Girl in the Room
Rock the Party (quickie)
You Don't Have to Be A Prostitute
Pepileptic Dogs
Think About It
Demon Woman
Same Girl
Sugarlumps (OH MY GOD. Could not have hoped for a better rendition of this. It was the Ur-Sugarlumps. I can only imagine what it was like for the people in the first few rows)

They had to start several songs over because they kept screwing up. Bret messed up the binary solo on Robots – he totally zoned out! He blamed the psychedelic swirling lights in the theater. There was a lot of banter with the audience – much finger-pistoling at people requesting songs and Rhys. Several gifts were brought up on stage – the aforementioned shirts, plus some “one-eyed animal” t-shirts for Bret and some Guava Passion Body Butter for Nigel.

The sound quality in the theater kind of sucked. It was really difficult to hear the lyrics on many songs, and Jemaine's lower notes went to mush. Notable exceptions were Jenny and Hurt Feelings. I was with some people who didn't know all the songs by heart, and they were left wondering what everyone was laughing about.

I would bet that Bret still wasn't feeling great, because this definitely seemed like Jem's night. He was all around the stage, jumping up spontaneously to dance, running over to the beatbox-thingie from Too Many Dicks, handling virtually all of the audience conversation. Bret was much more low-key.

After the show, we went outside and waited about half an hour on the sidewalk across from the stage door. Nigel came out, went to the bus, and returned backstage. A few minutes later Bret came out and was rushed and a few minutes after than Jem came out. I think there were easily 100 people outside when they made their appearance. They stayed until 1:45 or so signing things and taking pictures.

Jemaine is not quite as tall as I'd thought, but incredibly patient and does that Bill Clinton thing where he looks at each person he's talking to as if they are the only person in the world. Very soft-spoken and even. Some people were out there with their very young (2-3 year old?) child, and Jem signed their stuff quickly and told them to put that kid into bed!

I got my poster signed by Jemaine, got a picture, and went over to Bret. He really is ethereally beautiful. I ended up looking at his hands for a moment (he had his arm around someone in front of me, and his hand was right under my nose. His hands are TINY, and so delicate looking they seem to be made out of butterfly wings or something. I saw his wedding band, too – a very simple wide gold band. They started up the tour bus just as he signed my poster and then we were off. Perfect, perfect night!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Zap wrote:Some people were out there with their very young (2-3 year old?) child, and Jem signed their stuff quickly and told them to put that kid into bed!

Aww yay for papa Jemaine looking out for that poor kid! :clap:

PhasersOnFunky
New arrival

Postby PhasersOnFunky » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Oh wow!!! Love the stories and pics about the meet and greet after. :drool:
Are you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
No, I'm thinkin' what I'm thinkin'.
So you're not thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
No, cuz you're thinkin' I'm thinkin' what you're thinkin'.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:04 pm

(P)epileptic Dogs! YAY! I hope we get that, too! Sounds like another awesome couple of shows.

I see they're in OH tonight and also noticed they'll get a day off in between Toronto and our shows. (Mon the 20th off as well!) I so hope Bret's feeling strong and well again.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks to FOTC for 2 flipping energetic, amazing shows, for codpieces, for playing Prostitute and Epileptic Dog without me having to hold up my homemade request signs, for dealing with hecklers with charm and humor, for being so generous, accomodating and patient with fans and most of all to Jemaine for giving me much more of a hug than I had expected. :D

90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Ooooooooooooooooh, SheWolf!! Image
I'm so happy for you! What a hug.... :hug: *sigh* Are you still floaty from that? I would be. They rule. Period. :)

More details whenever you're ready to spill.....please! :pray:
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:40 pm

SheWolf wrote:Thanks to FOTC for 2 flipping energetic, amazing shows, for codpieces, for playing Prostitute and Epileptic Dog without me having to hold up my homemade request signs, for dealing with hecklers with charm and humor, for being so generous, accomodating and patient with fans and most of all to Jemaine for giving me much more of a hug than I had expected. :D

SW I can only imagine what your heart must have been doing at that point in time.

Probably swelling, backflipping and breaking all at once! How awesome, if I am able to get a hug, I want a hug JUST. LIKE. THAT!

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:44 pm

SW!!!!!!! Yay for you! What a terrific picture - you're so pretty! :D

What a sweetie he is - Jemaine looks like such a huggalicious teddy bear there! So cute... :heart:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

Rhymnoserous
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Rhymnoserous » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Okay...here are some of my pictures from the night. Sorry they are so huge!

I showed Kristen some of the pictures I took of her during her set...she was particularly amused by this one.

Ahhh. *Bret love*

:D

After this point, a security guard approached me and asked me to put away my "professional camera". I told him that it's not professional. "It has a detachable lens." "No it doesn't. *shows him*" "Well, the lens comes out too far." At this point, I figured it was worthless to try and argue and I was sure the rest of the WTFolk community would have some great pictures so I just put the camera away and enjoyed the show.

That is, until after the show...

He's making that face because I had him sign my ticket for my Mom, who loves him. He wrote a nice message to my Mom, then when I asked for the picture he said that he's going to have to smile really big, since he knows my Mum will be looking at it. :D

Sassy Jemaine.

Random guy making a face behind him!

The end! I have a bunch more but I don't want to spam the board so I might add them to flickr when I get the chance. I'm going to edit in my one youtube video I took once it's done loading.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:54 pm

I love those pics, Rhymenoceros! I especially love the one with Jemaine on stage making that frown smirk :lol: That one gets me every time! And that's so sweet of him to write such a nice message for your mum and then make a conscious effort to smile viry big for her.

What a sweetie :) Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!

SW - when you have a moment could you fill me in on how things went down as far as leaving/re-entering for the second show...was it chaos or...how'd that work?

Rhymnoserous
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Rhymnoserous » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks! I do have some other good ones of Jemaine during the show that I really can't wait to load.

And here's "Hurt Feelings" with Jemaine dropping the f-word...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXJLfr2KZc

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:00 pm

Yeah, good question, kelly. I'm curious to know that too...

Awesome pics, Rhymnoserous! :D I think I'd photoshop that dude making the face outta there, lol!

That sassy Jemaine pic is cute- were both he and the girl at his back making the same crossed-arms pose? Looks like. :)
ImageImage

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”