April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: April 24- Detroit, MI (11 pm)

Postby Carol » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:45 am

Kelly your pics are FABULOUS! I'm so tickled for you!

Remember what I said about a shoulder. It's still here. :yawinkle:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:49 am

I will be writing you soon, I'm sure!

Actually I'll write you right now!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:01 am

P.S. Brandon - I pointed you out to Michael without even realizing it was you! I remember seeing the penguins and being like 'MICHAEL! IT'S BRET'S PENGUIN SWEATER!' I knew you were down that way but weren't sure if you were in our row or the row up. So...I DID see you :)

You could probably hear me, I was the one who, when Jemaine sat on the edge of the stage with his legs spread open wide, let out a huge "OW OWWWWWWW" squeal like a 13 year old.

bjp4444
New arrival

Postby bjp4444 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 am

well, i'm pretty sure its in my video then, ha.

such a comfy sweatshirt. now i know why it was worn multiple times. the built-in collar is the selling point, however.

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:22 am

Yeah, I saw the penguin sweater too. Very nice. I wanted to wear my stripey "Bret sweater" but not in 86-degree heat. Same goes for my "Jemaine jacket".

Oh, and the first person to supply audio/video of my now-famous "Play whatever you want!" moment will receive my eternal gratitude and a store-baked pie. :wink:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:32 am

Bad Atom wrote:Yeah, I saw the penguin sweater too. Very nice. I wanted to wear my stripey "Bret sweater" but not in 86-degree heat. Same goes for my "Jemaine jacket".

Oh, and the first person to supply audio/video of my now-famous "Play whatever you want!" moment will receive my eternal gratitude and a store-baked pie. :wink:

That was so awesome! I can't wait for you to recount it in your recap. If you can't remember what Jemaine says for the recap, I remember ;) Though I'm sure you do.

And yes - any sweater in 86 degree heat is no good.

I'm so tired. I need sleep. But not for another hour...

I feel like Jemaine :lol:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:48 am

Few things:

Ah yis, the sugalumps performance. Probably the most hilarious thing I've ever been apart of. My favorite was when he pointed to a woman and whispered, "I see you checking out my sugalumps...how DARE you ma'am!" and all sorts of random stuff. The girl in the row in front of me, kiddy corner from me, he went up, put his beautiful rump IN HER FACE and pointed back at her whispering, "Security! Security! She's going for my sugalumps!"

Also, here's a link to a blog from last night with some pics and a better memory of some banter and the correct order for setlists for both shows
http://whitebrowgigs.livejournal.com/254635.html

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:24 am

:clap: Yay thanks bjp for the vids and account of the show! The sugalumps video cracks me up haha, the boys are such teases ;). And thanks Kelly for your account and pics- your picture with Jemaine is incredibly cute, definitely needs to be framed! Can't wait to read Bad Atom's account of the show too. Looks like it was a great night all round 8)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:50 am

And now for Part 2...

As we waited to get in to the second show, one of the head ushers was teaching the new kids about all the different kinds of tickets and where to direct people. I showed them my ticket and explained that "this is the kind of ticket that lets us sit on the stage." Well, it was worth a try...

I was also going to get a bottle of water, but not for $3.50. You can get cheaper concessions at a movie theater, and that's saying something. I'd rather suffer from dehydration.

This time, we were seated much closer to center stage, and since we were surrounded on all sides, it was pretty much a camera free-for-all. It was funny watching Kelly take seven pictures of Jemaine, then one of Bret. I took about 40 pictures, some of them decent!

And yes, Laura, I heard you yelling, "It's Bret! It's Bret!" when he did the voice-over for Eugene's entrance. He did it at 8, too. Eugene's set was mostly the same as the 8PM show, just mixed up a bit. We didn't get any postcards when he passed them out the second time, which was too bad because I could have given Matthew one. :(

Eugene also showed a video this time around, which I sadly couldn't pay much attention to because it was on the way-high-up big screens and I didn't want to strain my neck. I'm still getting over sleeping on it wrong last week. (I know, I'm sure there's someone out there going, "Boo-hoo, you were so close to the stage that you couldn't see the big screens, I feel soooooo sorry for you." Well, you should.)

I'd say the second show was a bit looser than the first, and overall, the heckling wasn't as bad as the 8PM show. Really, it wasn't bad at either show - I'm still thinking back to last year at Columbus where it got to the point where they were "shushing" the audience. This was *nowhere* near as bad, and the guys have gotten even better at deflecting it or working it into the show.

Speaking of people yelling out stupid things, I finally had my moment of glory when Bret asked if they should follow the set list or do a request, so while everyone else yelled out songs, I yelled "Play whatever you want!" (I also did it at Kent State, but I was too far away. :() This time, Jemaine was close enough to hear me, and he responded, "Play whatever we want? I've never heard anyone say that at a show before." I yelled back, "It's your show!" Then he kept looking at me during the next song, which I honestly don't remember what it was because I was all :roll2:

I don't remember if this was the first show or second, but someone asked Bret, "How much was the cup?" Bret answered, "$2.79." Jemaine asked, "Are you trying to quiz us? About our own show?" I still think someone needs to get them to sign a cup with a $2.79 price tag on it. I didn't get to do it...

Oh, and we learned that the population of Detroit is either 900,000 or 3. The 3 includes Bret and Jemaine.

And it actually took me a few moments to realize that they were playing a bit of Men at Work after that guy yelled "Australia". (What can I say? I'm slow.)

The guys came over to our side of the stage this time to do "Sugalumps" and I believe all the ladies here have mentioned how they were affected. I'll just say that it was cool for them to be so close because I got some good pictures. :)

They ended with "Demon Woman", which would have been great had Jemaine's mic been working. A bunch of people yelled to him that they couldn't hear him. It still took a while before it got fixed, though.

So, both shows were really great. The guys were on their game and it was a perfect venue. Much better than a gym. I still shake my fist and curse the fact that I've now seen them four times and still no "Ladies of the World". It's all I wanted. But it's okay, because what happened next DEFINITELY made up for it...

Next up, Part 3: the Meet & Greet!

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:57 am

Wonderful, wonderful details, guys! I'm all over them like my kitty on her 'nip. Please keep 'em coming!

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:03 am

LauraK wrote:Image

Great picture, LauraK! I really dig this. :D

Ha ha ha to SheWolf about throwing her underwear onto some guy's head 3 rows in front of her! (theoretically, not really) Talk about awkward! :lol:

OK, I haven't finished reading, just had to stop and gab... back to more vicarious living. :wink:

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:19 am

Once again, must stop and comment. I love this thread. :D
kellysouthpaw wrote: “maybe something heartfelt...but not weird”

That's awesome that you said that because that's exactly what I'm aiming for, myself, if I get to meet them. :lol:

These pictures ARE THE BEST. I actually literally laughed out loud. Jemaine has the best expressions, and you two just look so darn CUTE together!

drunk girl wrote:“Where did you learn to whisper like that to where you pronunciate so perfectly?”

Did she seriously say "pronunciate"? :lol:
Last edited by mockingbird on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:25 am

Kelly, your photos are absolutely adorable!!! :heart:

Thanks so much for the recaps everyone! :D
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:40 am

Bad Atom wrote: It was funny watching Kelly take seven pictures of Jemaine, then one of Bret.

Hee hee!

BadAtom: while everyone else yelled out songs, I yelled "Play whatever you want!" (I also did it at Kent State, but I was too far away. :() This time, Jemaine was close enough to hear me, and he responded, "Play whatever we want? I've never heard anyone say that at a show before." I yelled back, "It's your show!" Then he kept looking at me during the next song, which I honestly don't remember what it was because I was all :roll2:

Bad Atom, you heckled memorably! Awesome!! :lol: Is it still called a "heckle" if it's encouraging? :hrm: We need a different word for postitive heckling.

I'm so excited there's still more to hear about all of this. *opens bag of popcorn, passes it around*

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:01 am

Michael! When you told them to "play whatever you want!" and Jemaine said no one had ever said that at a show before, he then added "I believe we will," with a smile. :) You could tell that made his night.

i loved this pic!

also this one:

Help me out guys......in that link you posted, Kelly, he says that Rock the Party was in the finale. I thought the finale was just Bowie and Demon Woman?
And from that same link- LOVEDLOVEDLOVED the pic of Jemaine pointing mock-angrily right into the camera! :lol:

I swear, I don't think my mind has been clear of the Conchords for more than a minute today. And then we all watched Tongan Ninja tonight. So many lovely, funny quotes in that movie.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”