April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
AEW21
Lost but happy at sea

Re: April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

Postby AEW21 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:41 am

You and Nigel make a fetching couple together--and your make-up looks fab.* If I had been waiting to meet them all, I'd be a big, red-faced, make-up-slipping-dopwn-the-face mess.

*I am not at all buttering you up in order to coax you into posting about six god Jemaine. Not at all....well, maybe kinda. :whistle:

deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:00 am

I can't talk cause I had just as much trepidation about posting pictures...but I think you're gorgeous Turnip! Also your earrings are nifty!

Loved the Nigel story! (sits and waits quietly for more tales....)
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:39 am

Okay. Jemaine.

Jemaine, Jemaine, Jemaine.

He was truly a wonder. Lovelier than a bucket full of kittens, funnier than an amusingly-shaped parsnip, more patient than........well, a very patient......thing. Because Bret had left early, the bulk of fan-wrangling was left to Big J, and he did a stonkingly great job of it. (As an aside, I also want to say that I thought the security people at Massey Hall did a terrific job without being assholes. I spoke with the fellow who was charged with looking after the Conchords – I’d lost something – and he honestly couldn’t have been more of a gent. Such a nice chap.)

By this point, the crowd was thinning out a bit, and I was determined to get Amanda to Jemaine before he disappeared like Bret. So I grabbed her hand, and started edging in a little closer. Jemaine was taking pictures with two girls on either side of him. He was looking a bit stiff, and I noticed one of the security guys discreetly pushing the flexible, airport-style barrier against the girls, trying to move them back. I couldn’t really see what was going on, but when Jemaine had moved on to someone else, the girls came up to us, holding their hands out palms up, and grinning away. One of them declared proudly, “This is the hand that just cupped Jemaine’s ass. I made sure to get a really good feel.” I think they expected us to be greatly impressed. Weasels. I put on my very best “OH REALLY??” face, and headed in the opposite direction. It’s crap like that that really makes me angry. YOU DON’T TOUCH PEOPLE INAPPROPRIATELY. (Not yelling at you lovely people, just shouting into the wind.) As a possessor of two X chromosomes and a formidable rack, I know how infuriating it is to lose bodily autonomy to people who can’t keep their goddamn hands to themselves. But as a girl, I have social permission to tell anyone who tries that funny business to stick it up their arse. For Jemaine, who is a big fellow, it must be almost impossible to get women to stop grabbing at him without losing face, or looking petulant. You know? I genuinely felt badly for the guy.

Anyway, I could tell Amanda was feeling colossally, vibratingly overwhelmed, so I just held her hand tightly, manoeuvred her into Jemaine’s penumbra, and let her go. I’ll let her tell that story herself, but I’ll just say that it’s a goodie. He’s a total sweetheart. I hope she posts it soon. And her pictures are gorgeous.

While I had Jemaine in my eye line, I pulled out my copy of the Folk the World Tour CD, and asked if he’d sign it for me. He did, very graciously and carefully, with a little flourish, and when he was finished I said a bit bashfully, “Do you think it would be all right if I got a photo with you?” He said, “Of course!”, and then, as Amanda and Bibli were organising the cameras, he asked me where I was from. I said “England! London! Why? Do I not sound like I’m North-American?” And he laughed at me and said, “No, I could tell by your politeness.” And I grinned back and asked, “Have you encountered a fair bit of.....not-politeness in your travels?” And he said, “Oh yes.” And then, backtracking awkwardly, “I mean......ah....I shouldn’t say.....” And I said, “I quite understand it would be impolitic to say.” And then Jemaine laughed so the corners of his eyes crinkled up, and said, “In the picture, I’m going to pretend you’ve just said something really rude, okay? Look innocent.” So I did, and he did. And then I thanked him, and he very, very generously shook his head, and said quite seriously, “No, thank you.” And then he was pulled off in another direction, and I let him go. And I savoured the moment, because, you know, it’s not every day you get told you have amiable manners by Jemaine Clement. My mum would be proud.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:01 am

BWA. HA. HA. :lol: :prayer: :supz: :clap: Though I have to say, Turnip - you don't look all that innocent. :wink:

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:05 am

ASmallTurnip wrote: And I grinned back and asked, “Have you encountered a fair bit of.....not-politeness in your travels?” And he said, “Oh yes.”

:(

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:09 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:

Whoa! Talk about HOTTIES!

I can't believe those other girls! Frankly I'm horrified that they felt it was appropriate to do that! Thanks goodness for polite Canadian-Brits like you!
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

andy
Lost but happy at sea

Postby andy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:09 am

great pic turnip!!! and you came all the way from england...now that's dedication :clap:

i just notice that jemaine likes to make funny faces in everyone's photo haha
They try to get me doing time
For committing the perfect rhyme
My face is on rhyme watch and all that crap
They’re accusing ME of attempted rap
Help! Help! The Rhymenoceros, he's rapping me
F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Folk music!

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:47 am

Aw, poor Jemaine, suffering at the hands (quite literally, in the groping sense) of rabid, impolite fans. But a great tale and a lovely pic!
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:48 am

What a wonderful recount Turnip. I am sorry you didn't get a chance to meet Bret, but overjoyed at your experiences with Nigel and Jemaine. Both pictures are amazingly spectacular! You look beautiful in both!

I still can't get over those girls grabbing Jemaine like that!?!?!? Who do they think they are? Would you walk up to a random stranger and do that? Well, maybe they would, but just because they are performers that are out in the public eye doesn't mean you know them, or that is appropriate in any sense... I can't believe he didn't say anything. It's like the girls that want them to sign their chests. I don't understand that either- wouldn't you rather have a nice little chat with them (very much a la Turnip), get a proper not-going-to-wash-off-in-the-shower autograph and a picture or two you can cherish forever than be known as that improper rude fan who touched or asked to be touched inappropriate body parts? Ugh... enough rant now, back to the important stuff...

THANK YOU Turnip for writing all that loveliness. I can't wait to hear all about Amanda's encounters as well. It sounds like she will have loads to say!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

slut_angel22@yahoo
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby slut_angel22@yahoo » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh Turnip, your accounts are a most enjoyable read! I can feel the wonderful time you had and I know only too well that crazy sense of relief at having not met the object of your desire, but having met others who took their place aka Nigel and in my experience, Kristin. BTW, you look absolutely fabulous with Nigel. How terrific is it that you were a part of making his night a special one! It's not often one can return favors.

It's also refreshing top hear of J's appreciation of your politeness - renews my respect and admiration for him. I'd go for a nice chat over a grope any day. If some man groped that girl's butt she'd be screaming sexual harrassmnet or abuse all the way to the police station. It's not a double standard and I think there are a number of women who better get used to that.

Sorry to get all preachy, and again, thank you for such a colorfully descriptive account.
Bret: Have been sheared.
Jemaine: Have been shorn.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:20 pm

Turnip you and Nig are meant to procreate so get to it. Adorable photo, BTW. He's hawt.

Aw shivers I knew I should have been more polite to Jemaine. I heard other people introduce themselves and he would reply nice to meet you so and so (in a not so dissimilar way to the Nice to meet you Jenny bit in Jenny) and it was all so civilized. Alas I'm all -WILL YOU HUG ME?????? Okay that's not really how it went down but I should have at least introduced myself or kissed his ass in some figurative way before going in for the kill. Ah regrets, I've had a few.
90% evil
ImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:34 pm

:prayer: Turnip, it was an absolute pleasure reading your accounts of the show and meet and greet! You captured your experience with the boys so well. I'm really glad you showed Jemaine that there are polite and genuinely nice fans out there who aren't out to act inappropritely and be quite frankly rude towards them. I love the pictures too, you look gorgeous (loving the lipstick and earrings). You and Nigel would make the perfect couple ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:44 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:

Beautiful photo, beautiful story, and beautiful manners, Turnip. I wish I could have been that composed. I'm so used to so-called stars looking like they'd rather be anywhere else in the world than acknowledging their fans. It's really, really refreshing to hear all these wonderful stories of Bret & Jemaine being so down to earth.

And I also agree with the others - you and Nigel :rock:

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:51 pm

SheWolf wrote:Turnip you and Nig are meant to procreate so get to it.

:lol:

Aw shivers I knew I should have been more polite to Jemaine. I heard other people introduce themselves and he would reply nice to meet you so and so (in a not so dissimilar way to the Nice to meet you Jenny bit in Jenny) and it was all so civilized. Alas I'm all -WILL YOU HUG ME?????? Okay that's not really how it went down but I should have at least introduced myself or kissed his ass in some figurative way before going in for the kill. Ah regrets, I've had a few.

He doesn't look like he minded. :wink:

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:17 pm

You guys are so full of it. I can't deal with the niceness. I just assume you're all trying to get in my pants. Which, by the way, I am TOTALLY up for.

Wolfie, by all accounts, you were great with Jemaine, so I don't think you should worry at all. The significant thing is that you asked if you could get a hug, and he was obviously happy to oblige. Also, I see no ass-grabbage in that gorgeous ol' photo of yours, unless you sneakily copped a feel of his sugalumps when Sully wasn't camera-ready. I bet you were charming and vivacious and respectful and all good things that make Jemaine glad to do what he does.

Bird, I know you PMed this question to me, but I don't mind talking about it here at all. Why didn't I want to meet Bret?

It's complicated. Certainly some of it has to do with self-confidence. I'm paralysingly shy at times. There are days when I like myself, and days when it's a lot harder to do so. Sounds like most of us, right? :wink: But seriously, I know that I generally feel better about myself when I'm not in a shouting crowd of people, many of whom are absolutely stunningly beautiful women.

I fondly imagine that if I do ever get the chance to meet Bret again, maybe it'll be some place a little quieter, where I can be more than just a random face in the crowd. I'd love to be able to ask him a few questions (Maybe about his guitars? Or the difference he sees in performing for different audiences. Or how to get that tricky E chord on the ukulele just right. Or get advice on the best way to turn a spit roast) that actually mean something. Does that make sense?

And truly, it's wonderful to have something to look forward to. It really, genuinely is.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”