April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:37 pm

Sounds like you and Jemaine had 2 minutes together.... :eyebrow:

I mailed off some stuff for you today, missy! :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:He's such a lovely, gentle chap, and his patience and good nature are (if you'll forgive me for being horribly cheesy and earnest here) genuinely an inspiration to me. Ugh. I cannot believe I typed that aloud. Jesus. I must try to be cooler. But Jemaine's truly a capital human bean, and I watched him the other night with my heart shining and full up to the brim. It's just good to know that people like that exist in the world, you know? It's not terribly complicated, I suppose. Nothing very profound. But it means something, in its own small, affectionate way. And for that, I am happy.
Ah Breteros waxing poetic on J again? You know I luv it.

At last year's M&G it was Bret who made me swoon by watching his cheerful and generous interactions with others as well as the lovely, warm and genuine way he spoke to me and looked at me (big sweet brown doe eyes, I remember them well). Jemaine seemed to have a more quiet energy, more reserve & a sense of humor so dry that it took me a minute or 2 to process that he was being funny. He seemed a tad mysterious. This year my impression of Jem was quite different, he seemed the more energetic, open and gregarious of the two. These are just my observations, obviously not overall comments on their personalities as I don't know them well enough to do that. But I agree with you turnip that it is pretty inspiring stuff. For myself I could never hope to be even remotely like that. I'm not a huge people person, am anything but patient and don't suffer fools gladly so if I were in their positions I may not make the best impression at M&Gs. :lol: On the other hand I do get pretty overwhelmed and humbled by compliments and if I were surrounded by folks who adored me and were excited to meet me I imagine I'd mellow quite a bit, probably turn to mush in fact.
90% evil
ImageImage

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:27 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:Turnip your way with words is beyond amazing. I truly couldn't have said it better myself...I thought I admired Jemaine before, but once you experience him in the flesh, it becomes something completely different. More intense, would be the terms I'd use.

Seriously? Maybe its better that I don't meet him then. I don't know how much more I can handle!

What am I saying... of COURSE its better! I don't think I would have the same reaction though kelly...

Earlier on this thread I talked about meeting another beautiful music man who I had much of the same feelings for. Nothing lustful or dirty or anything... just pure appreciation of their music, talent and seemingly caring and kindness towards fans (and yes, damn rock star sexiness doesn't hurt either). A funny thing happened though after I met him and said my thank yous... that's all I needed to let go. It wasn't an instant end to the infatuation, it kind of drifted off. I was too scared that if I went for anything more than my perfect encounter I would start to see the imperfections, the flaws and make everything a little less special.

I have no idea of this would happen with Bret and Jemaine... I haven't had the chance yet. One day though, I hope to say the thank yous- for the laughs, the music and the distraction when I needed it most. Maybe that will be enough... or maybe, like you KSP, it will only make it more "intense". Eek!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:10 am

SheWolf wrote:
ASmallTurnip wrote:He's such a lovely, gentle chap, and his patience and good nature are (if you'll forgive me for being horribly cheesy and earnest here) genuinely an inspiration to me. Ugh. I cannot believe I typed that aloud. Jesus. I must try to be cooler. But Jemaine's truly a capital human bean, and I watched him the other night with my heart shining and full up to the brim. It's just good to know that people like that exist in the world, you know? It's not terribly complicated, I suppose. Nothing very profound. But it means something, in its own small, affectionate way. And for that, I am happy.
Ah Breteros waxing poetic on J again? You know I luv it.

At last year's M&G it was Bret who made me swoon by watching his cheerful and generous interactions with others as well as the lovely, warm and genuine way he spoke to me and looked at me (big sweet brown doe eyes, I remember them well). Jemaine seemed to have a more quiet energy, more reserve & a sense of humor so dry that it took me a minute or 2 to process that he was being funny. He seemed a tad mysterious. This year my impression of Jem was quite different, he seemed the more energetic, open and gregarious of the two. These are just my observations, obviously not overall comments on their personalities as I don't know them well enough to do that. But I agree with you turnip that it is pretty inspiring stuff. For myself I could never hope to be even remotely like that. I'm not a huge people person, am anything but patient and don't suffer fools gladly so if I were in their positions I may not make the best impression at M&Gs. :lol: On the other hand I do get pretty overwhelmed and humbled by compliments and if I were surrounded by folks who adored me and were excited to meet me I imagine I'd mellow quite a bit, probably turn to mush in fact.

This thread is THE BEST. I love listening to you two crush on each other's boys! :D I'm basking in a warm Conchords glow right now. They both just rock.

I'm not sure how I would deal with my own M&G but I can say it's definitely something I wouldn't want to do. I might get used to it but I think I'd probably be more on autopilot at that point. B & J's ability to be warm and funny and engaging and lovable at these meetings is... well it's inspiring, to quote Turnip yet again.

I'm going to shut up now, before I start singing Kumbayah or something.

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:37 am

SheWolf wrote: Ah Breteros waxing poetic on J again? You know I luv it.

At last year's M&G it was Bret who made me swoon by watching his cheerful and generous interactions with others as well as the lovely, warm and genuine way he spoke to me and looked at me (big sweet brown doe eyes, I remember them well). Jemaine seemed to have a more quiet energy, more reserve & a sense of humor so dry that it took me a minute or 2 to process that he was being funny. He seemed a tad mysterious. This year my impression of Jem was quite different, he seemed the more energetic, open and gregarious of the two. These are just my observations, obviously not overall comments on their personalities as I don't know them well enough to do that. But I agree with you turnip that it is pretty inspiring stuff. For myself I could never hope to be even remotely like that. I'm not a huge people person, am anything but patient and don't suffer fools gladly so if I were in their positions I may not make the best impression at M&Gs.
Bloody hell, me either, Wolfie. I honestly can't think of a social situation - barring the involvement of personal nudity - that would be more horrendously awkward for me. I'd be telling people to piss off left, right and centre. I mean, while I like being around people, I get really exhausted by it. I don't know how the boys save enough of themselves to meet the fans after they've just played their hearts out for hours.

And you're absolutely right: Jemaine is dryer than the Sahara. He's the kind of funny that takes you minutes, possibly hours, or even days to twig to. I like to think of that as the sort of humour that keeps on giving: the more you think about it, the funnier it seems to get, you know? He said something to Amanda that was so dryly hilarious that I'm still laughing hysterically about it, even a week later. (Gaaaaahd! I wish she were here to tell her story! Amanda, please come home and put me out of my misery, you radiantly silly girl! :hug: )

I really like the way Bret and Jemaine seem to have a totally comfortable tag-team arrangement on being gregarious. It's as if they know that one of them will take point, so they don't both have to carry the burden of being extroverted in the same way at the same time. It's such a great partnership. At the meet-and-greet in Toronto, it was so genuinely sweet to see that although Bret needed to make a fast getaway, Jemaine was absolutely content to make sure the fans got some love and attention, and was happy to stay and be The Guy that night. And I'm sure Bret will cheerfully cover for Jemaine when Big J needs to escape. It's lovely of them, isn't it?

mockingbird wrote:This thread is THE BEST. I love listening to you two crush on each other's boys! :D I'm basking in a warm Conchords glow right now. They both just rock.

I'm not sure how I would deal with my own M&G but I can say it's definitely something I wouldn't want to do. I might get used to it but I think I'd probably be more on autopilot at that point. B & J's ability to be warm and funny and engaging and lovable at these meetings is... well it's inspiring, to quote Turnip yet again.

I'm going to shut up now, before I start singing Kumbayah or something.

I am TOTALLY crushing on Jemaine right now. And not in a lusty way - that would be creepy and incestuous and all kinds of crazy wrong. Just in an older-brotherly puppy-dog adoration kinda thing. I luff him. I want to climb on his back and give him noogies and make him sing Cat Stevens' songs with me. You know? What am I saying? Of course you don't know. But the warm 'n fuzzy way you feel about Bret. That's what I mean.

And Bird, if they do a meet-and-greet in Portland, I really think you should go. Don't worry about dazzling them with your lovably effervescent wit. Just go, and say thanks for the laughs, and savour the memory of having had the amazing chance to tell them that in person. Believe me, they don't take that kind of thing for granted. Not even a little bit. I was vomitously nervous about meeting them, but it was worth every last moment of paralysed shyness just to get that chance. Life is so damn short. If there is one single thing I've learned in my 27 years, it's that it is fist-clenchingly important not to let good things pass you by. And the boys are two of those good things, Bird. You'll look back in the years to come, and be able to tell yourself that you had the courage to do the thing that scared you. And that means something. It meant something to me, at any rate.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:09 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:And you're absolutely right: Jemaine is dryer than the Sahara. He's the kind of funny that takes you minutes, possibly hours, or even days to twig to. I like to think of that as the sort of humour that keeps on giving: the more you think about it, the funnier it seems to get, you know? He said something to Amanda that was so dryly hilarious that I'm still laughing hysterically about it, even a week later. (Gaaaaahd! I wish she were here to tell her story! Amanda, please come home and put me out of my misery, you radiantly silly girl! :hug: )

I truly can't wait to hear what that funny thing was... and everything else! Turnip, your references to this incident are killing me. Amazing though you have such restraint to keep quiet though! I couldn't contain myself that long!

ASmallTurnip wrote: I am TOTALLY crushing on Jemaine right now. And not in a lusty way - that would be creepy and incestuous and all kinds of crazy wrong. Just in an older-brotherly puppy-dog adoration kinda thing. I luff him. I want to climb on his back and give him noogies and make him sing Cat Stevens' songs with me. You know? What am I saying? Of course you don't know. But the warm 'n fuzzy way you feel about Bret. That's what I mean.

Of course we do know what you mean. That is truly the best way I have heard how to describe my Conchord admiration for them.... Noggies, Cat Stevens, Piggybacks. Its like being cozy on a cold rainy day with a good book and a big cup of tea kind of warm 'n fuzzy. You know?

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Oh hells yes, Turnip - wild horses, tornadoes, floods, burly security men, really bad PMS - NONE of those things would keep me from meeting the Conchords, if I had the opportunity, which I am desperately hoping I will. I am ALL ABOUT the meet and greet, believe me. I meant something like what you said, and what SheWolf said:
ASmallTurnip wrote:I honestly can't think of a social situation - barring the involvement of personal nudity - that would be more horrendously awkward for me. I'd be telling people to piss off left, right and centre. I mean, while I like being around people, I get really exhausted by it. I don't know how the boys save enough of themselves to meet the fans after they've just played their hearts out for hours.

I feel the same way - I like people, but I get burned out by them quickly. I'm a strange combination of extrovert and introvert.

And yeah, warm fuzzies for Bret. Warm fuzzies for Jemaine too, it's true I want to tear his clothes off but there's plenty of affection mixed in with the lust. :wink:

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sun May 03, 2009 1:24 pm

I can't remember which thread, but pretty sure bibli promised kellysouthpaw and myself an update a few days ago... sadly, still waiting.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

When you can bibli, its just the recent shows haven't had a lot of really great meet and greet stories with Jem, sans the odd WTFer!!!

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Sun May 03, 2009 5:42 pm

When the time for the second and last Toronto gig came, we were still overwhelmed from the previous night. This time I was seating on row O left aisle seat from the right side aisle. It was not 3rd row but still pretty great..I cannot thank Turnip enough for getting me a ticket for the 2nd night. You are my Goddess and I worship you, girl :prayer: This time, whoever was in charge of the posters had spelled Conchords without the H :lol: so they didn’t even put them up for sale. ¬¬’

Almost everybody was sitting when I saw a familiar face in the audience, a beautiful blonde in a blue coat..it was Sally..no, not LSully..as much as she would’ve wanted to be there.. Sally, as in “the most beautiful girl (in the room)”/Rachel Blanchard Sally. She was sitting in the middle of the right center floor section with some friends. Then the room went dark..Jemaine presented Eugene with a very funny monologue. I can’t remember the words of for the life of me..but I swear it was hilarious. Eugene’s routine was quite similar to that of the previous night with a couple of different jokes thrown in. The delivery, though, was impeccable..as if it had been the first time he’d said those jokes. Brilliant. The Conchords came out to “Too many dicks on dance floor” again..and I don’t mean it in a bad way, it’s an up beat song..and it is perfect to open the show. No stool humping was witnessed from where I was sitting this time, though..a little bit of banter lead to Hurt feelings and then their southern-y new song..Stana. Staaaanaaaa (love how Jemaine cries that out with his deepest voice leaning backwards a bit.. as if his voice was too potent and he needed to make room for it in its way out) ..Stana is fast becoming one of my favourite songs..it’s very rich and full of banter, jokes, witty rhymes, twists, absurd and all played and sung in a beautiful way with a catchy melody-ee-eeee.. It’s a little bit Dali-esque, but it’s a keeper.

They didn’t talk about bl*wj*bs this time (they did the day before..did I forget to mention it? ;)) but it looked like they felt more comfortable and laid back for the second night..they knew from the previous day that the heckling wasn’t gonna be as bad as it had been in the US, so they were more comfortable during the talking part. Bret had explained to us how that evening’s gig was going to work..It was basically gonna be song – talking – song.. sometimes song – song ..and sometimes talking – talking..although we were probably not gonna notice when the latter happened and were gonna mistake it for just talking..specially if both talkings were about the same stuff.. one can easily mistake them for just one talking part :lol:

We all sang along the choir of exGirlfriends, we laughed to Freaky..there were a lot of great songs.. they even sang FreeBird..quite a beautiful intro btw. I personally was expecting Business Time..since it was Wednesday..but maybe they didn’t recall the date with all the touring or maybe they just didn’t wanna fall for such an easy joke. Some people was shouting requests during the banter..I really wanted them to play “you don’t have to be a prostitute” but yelling “Prostitute” to people you respect and admire didn’t seem appropriate to me at the time. One thing that surprised me was how there were people laughing –like really laughing- with their songs..I think they’re very funny and the songs are well written but you don’t laugh when you’ve heard the jokes a hundred times before..even though you find them funny..it was like they were listening to the songs for the first time! It must have been pretty special for them to be able to enjoy the songs as something new..in a live show! Because most people I know have had that experience in 2D via our iPods or YouTube. So..good for this people!

You’ve probably all read about the guy they waited for to come back from the toilet..and the people who left right after Stana..I haven’t been able to read EVERYTHING that has been posted for the last two weeks because I just haven’t been home yet..and facebook gave my laptop a virus..anyway..lots to catch up on so, sorry if I repeat what others have already said a gazillion times before..I didn’t want to postpone writing my reviews any longer.

After what seemed a shorter gig that the one of the previous night they sang Sexy Lady + Sugalumps, left the stage to put on their Canadian red caps and come back for an encore of 3 songs.
The second gig was over then..and we were really hoping we’d be able to meet the guys..and thank them for being so fantastic and generous as gracefully as possible ..no shaking, no drooling, no fainting..just approach them politely, smile.. take a beautiful pic to have something to go back to and look at when it all seems just like a beautiful dream.
It was sprinkling and freezing cold outside, there were fewer people waiting but one important thing was different from the previous night..there was this security band thing between the exit door and the tour bus and security was making us all wait outside of the posts. We were feeling hopeful and willing to wait for a fair 2hours when after only 20mins Bret came through the door! :D He is a cutie..The overly enthusiastic fans crowded him..you could only see his head from where we were standing..and that was 4m away from him..all of a sudden Nigel walked right by us. My dear Turnip called his name and started chatting with him like two old friends would. You could tell he was both surprised and flattered and he was absolutely lovely and charming and nice to her (as she was to him)..he is a sweet guy that Nigel. He went back inside leaving us all very happy..specially Turnip, of course..by that time Bret was already working the crowd on the other side..and that’s when Jemaine came out.

Here’s where the rambling starts..

Short version: I waited for the crowd to clear, Turnip scrapped me out of the wall where I was standing and threw me into his arms, took a couple of pictures. He was awesome, like really wonderful and nice..if you want an extended report on big J’s awesomness you’re gonna have to check out the long version..or even the full version. Since my camera is kinda crappy, we politely asked him if he minded taking another pic with me..and he happily obliged. He gracefully moved onto the rest of the people, being friendly and funny to everyone..and we stayed there as mere spectators to the scene until he got into the bus and waved us goodbye with a smile on his face..

Long version:..My heart skipped a beat for one second when I saw the man I had seen so many times on my computer screen..right before my eyes. :thud:
I stuck myself to the wall..I didn’t want to crowd him or get just a quick pic before he went onto the next girl. So I stood there next to the wall just watching him interact with the people..I might’ve been staring at him because my eyes caught his a couple of times while he was taking his picture with other people.. but that man is just too handsome to take your eyes (and I mean eyes..) off him. And it’s not just that he is undeniable handsome..he oozes charm and confidence and he is also very nonchalant about it.. he strikes me as a very humble person..and it all makes him incredibly attractive..and then of course you have those deep light green eyes, the stubble, the voice..don’t get me started, you all know what I mean..actually, you know if you’ve met him..because as many great pictures as there may be of him.. I haven’t seen one single picture that makes him enough justice.
So..there we were, waiting for the crowd to clear..thinking of something clever to say.. and that’s when my dear friend Turnip pulled me out of the wall, asked him very politely if he minded taking a picture with her friend (that’d be me) ..and threw me into his arms. I think I wasn’t shaking but if I was it sure wasn’t the below 5ºC temperature.. I blurted out I’d came from Barcelona..he waited for the picture to be taken and replied: “well, not today” I wonder if he’d seen me the previous day sitting on the 3rd row and he remembered..in my mind..that’s why he said it. :) Turnip said she’d take another picture..that’s when I put my hand on his chest and he put his other arm around me. After that I got my Flight of the Conchords CD signed and took Turnip’s picture with him. I might have mentioned my camera being pretty moody and vindictive at night..that’s why it decided to make all my pictures shaky..(yeah, it was the camera..not me) ..so I had to ask Jemaine if he didn’t mind taking another couple of pictures with me..he said he didn’t and we took two really nice pictures, with Turnip’s camera. We thanked him, he thanked us –he is really very polite..such a gentleman- and I thank you girls (Bibli and Turnip) for taking those beautiful pictures of us :D and standing by me as long as it took..freezing your bums. And even though Jemaine made me feel very comfortable I may have been a little caught up by the moment and forget to mention how much do I appreciate his generosity..their generosity.. neither Bret or Jemaine need to spend that much time chatting with fans, taking pictures and being absolutely adorable..and I don’t know how warm does it make them feel but they know it makes us very warm and happy and they do it..selflessly. I applaud you guys. I also wanted to tell him how happy do they make me doing what they do..their music, their comedy, their performances..they can bright up the gloomiest moment.. take my mind away to a happier place every time and for that I’m grateful. Thank you, Jemaine..and thank you Bret.
We stood there for a while watching Jemaine talk to the other fans, laugh, take pictures, pose, get things signed..we stood there until the end..and then, he waved us good bye with a smile on his :tonqe: lips, we waved back and he got into the Tour bus..we took a deep breath and walked across the street to old Fran’s ..the one that had seen us walk in empty-handed the night before.
It was a night to remember :whitey:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

ASmallTurnip

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun May 03, 2009 5:58 pm

SO AWESOME.

Can't even say anything else right now. Man, I miss you so much, girl. Best. Night. Ever.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun May 03, 2009 6:13 pm

Oh man Amanda - that sounds AMAZING. I'm so glad that you guys got to meet them :) I really would love to see pictures - if you'd rather not post them I beg you to PM them to me! :prayer: :pray: <-- That's me, begging.

ASmallTurnip

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun May 03, 2009 6:22 pm

Quite apart from the beautiful pictures of Big J & Little A together, I have the MOST INCREDIBLE picture of Little A that I took about two seconds after Jemaine walked out of the stage door. She's looking at me and the eyes, the face - oh my god, it's priceless. My tiny Amanda, looking like she's about to jump out of her gorgeous, glowing skin and run around screaming. It makes me laugh my head off every time I see it.

Amanda, if you don't feel like sharing your pics with the world (and I totally understand, sweet one), maybe you'll let me post your amazing "Jemaine Face", which is almost as good. God, I love it. :hug:

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Sun May 03, 2009 6:34 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:Amanda, if you don't feel like sharing your pics with the world (and I totally understand, sweet one), maybe you'll let me post your amazing "Jemaine Face", which is almost as good. God, I love it :hug:

Nah-ah :wink: ...I will post some..if not today..tomorrow they'll be on..at least one of them :yawinkle:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

ASmallTurnip

Postby ASmallTurnip » Sun May 03, 2009 6:37 pm

Okay. :D I'll be good.

**Sifts through gorgeous pictures of A & J, laughs gleefully, tucks them away quietly.**

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Sun May 03, 2009 7:18 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Amanda we have been waiting for that story, watching the days pass on hoping that you would post. I am so happy Turnip was there to "throw" you into his arms. My heart is beating faster just reading that- oh the feeling it must be to see the person every single day see you for the first time! Awesome and terrifying at the same time... I am so happy for you Amanda, you travelled a long distance to see them, and I am thrilled that it was everything you hoped it would be.

I really hope that I stay cool as a cucumber in front of the guys when I meet them, eventually. Not so worried about Bret, but Jem... dear god. Turnip, you might need a jackhammer to strip me from the way from the wall. Well, hopefully not, but a few shots of vodka might be in order first (not drunk girl amounts, just calm the nerves).

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”