April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Re: April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

Postby WhippetGood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:29 am

OMG. My husband and I were the ones wearing our pajamas to the show tonight. It kinda felt like going to a Halloween party where no one else is wearing their costumes.

We really do each wear our penguin pajamas to sleep each night, so why not?? They're not exact replicas of Bret, but at the meet and greet -- yes there was one tonight!! -- Jemaine said, "Oh! You're wearing Bret pajamas!" and Bret even held my jacket out so that more of the penguins would show up in the pics.

Before the show - ran into Winky in the bar. Picked up a band meeting shirt and magnets. There were no posters. The merchandise seller briefly held out one poster from yesterday and today, saying that due to errors they could not be sold. I think she said only 28 got sold last night and then they realized the mistake, or got told to yank them, or something like that. And tonight they couldn't even sell it because Flight of the Conchords was spelled incorrectly (missing the H). But she said all the posters would be sold online after the tour..

About the show - very, very few hecklers. It was a rather quiet audience. They picked out people, like the guy who went to the bathroom, and the girl who tripped (sorry to see that happen to you). I had a great seat on the aisle, but yes they were SUPER strict about cameras. Shooting photos was okay but absolutely no videos were allowed. I tried my luck twice but got nabbed both times.

The songs...can't remember them all - Winky got the setlist AND wrote them all down, but she won't be online for a bit. So off the top of my head (and definitely not the order they were played)

- Dicks
- Hurt Feelings
- Stana
- Carol Brown
- Freakie
- If you're into it
- Beautiful Girl
- Jenny
- Mutha uckers
- Epileptic Dog
- Freebird
- Cellotape
- Foux de fa fa
- Sugalumps (Bret teased a girl out of her seat, only to leave her standing by the stage)

Encore
- Demon Woman
- Bus Driver
- Bowie

They really seemed to pick up on the requests. I yelled out for epileptic dog and they played it. then came a scream for freebird, and after that was played another scream for sellotape.

There were so many great lines but alas I can only remember two. Bret: "I took a bath in maple syrup". And one heckler's shout trailed off and Jemaine couldn't make it all out. "Maintaining your confidence for five seconds is really hard."

After the show we ran into another member Andy. We only waited for about half an hour outside before Bret emerged, and then a few minutes later, Jemaine. They were super kind and patient and humble and down to earth. Jemaine gave out lots of hugs - it was a chilly night - and both looked really well.

I'll post my pics and my one vid soon. Great show, great night, great guys!

Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Cuse » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks Whippet!

Collectors item posters! :D Better be one badass poster for them to have spelled the name of the band wrong!

M-DOG
Giving the paper to the people

Postby M-DOG » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:45 am

Whippet...I love that you wore Bret Pajamas! and that Jemmy got it!
Glad to hear you had a great time and sooooooo happy you got a M&G!
I so wanted to be there but couldn't go due to work. I will be at the Van show in May though...
Enjoy the Euphoria!

xxx
I love Humanity...oh the humanity!

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:58 am

Sounds like it was a great night. I'm proud of the Toronto crowd! :clap:

Glad that you didn't have to wait too long for the meet/greet.

Look forward to pics soon.

G'night everyone!

halokiti

Postby halokiti » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:01 am

Wooo, meet and greet tonight. Penguin PJs, that's a great costume. You probably felt like what Winky and I felt last year in NYC with our animal sweatshirt and neon track jacket. Glad to see you met my sister, Winky. I expect a full report from her tomorrow morning in my inbox.

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:06 am

halokiti wrote:Wooo, meet and greet tonight. Penguin PJs, that's a great costume. You probably felt like what Winky and I felt last year in NYC with our animal sweatshirt and neon track jacket. Glad to see you met my sister, Winky. I expect a full report from her tomorrow morning in my inbox.

Yeah, she mentioned her regret at not having the hot dog sign. But no matter, I can fully attest that she had an AMAZING time tonight! :boogie:

prettyrobyngirl

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:52 am

I can't wait to see pictures. The few vids on youtube were great- they sounded amazing, and even though the person filming couldn't keep the camera steady, it was enough to see the boys in stellar form.

Just a few things...

Does anyone else think their Sugalumps dance is getting dirtier as the tour goes on? That last pose of the song was pretty overtly enjoyable.... I mean enjoyable :)

Also, what's the deal with the trucker hats during Demon Woman? Was there an inside joke or banter about them???

They actually played freebird? By request? Happily?

I can't wait to see more pictures and videos! My shirt mission was successful- a friend's sister picked one up for me, I just can't wait to see what it is!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 pm

They seemed pretty happy and willing to play Freebird.

Here's the Sugalumps video I managed to get last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QunornxKfus&fmt=22

And here are some photos with their red Canada hats on during the encore:

And pics from the meet n' greet:

All photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whippetgoo ... 208964684/

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:39 pm

:lol: OMG! That photo with Jem is hilarious. It is honestly the worst photo I have ever seen of him. He looks peed! So funny though :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Your pictures are GREAT! Probably the best I've seen. Where were you sitting? The quality of the shots is superb!
Thanks for sharing. And you both look cute as can be in your pjs.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:00 pm

WhippetGood wrote:They seemed pretty happy and willing to play Freebird.

Here's the Sugalumps video I managed to get last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QunornxKfus&fmt=22

And here are some photos with their red Canada hats on during the encore:

And pics from the meet n' greet:

All photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whippetgoo ... 208964684/

WOW :shock: :o sugalumps is getting hotter by the day. Aamazing quality of vid and pix whippet. Looks like a fun time was had by all.
90% evil
ImageImage

redoxreaction
New arrival

Postby redoxreaction » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:16 pm

PhotoGirl wrote:When I got back it was during a song so luckily nothing :wink: However a friend told me after my Fiance and I got out of there (we both ran to the washroom), one of the guys said something like "maybe they didn't like it? did we offend them? Are they vegetarians or something?" honestly that's second hand info, not sure. Maybe someone else who was there remembers. Either way it's something to laugh at. What was embarassing for me is that it was one of those long falls right in front of them and I could hear them from the stage going "oohhh...ahhhh!" as I fell :bang: And then Jemaine says "yeah we'll just leave between songs and they won't notice"...LOL

Hee hee it was after the "Stana" song...they were like "Maybe we offended them..." "Maybe it was the molesting part..." "Maybe it was the homosexuality bit at the end there." "Maybe it was the bowl of steak. Maybe they're vegetarians."

Wish they'd had posters! Kind of makes it less "special" that they're selling them online (I'm sure in the limited quantity still), but I am snob that way <: )

Carol

Postby Carol » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:29 pm

redoxreaction wrote:
PhotoGirl wrote:When I got back it was during a song so luckily nothing :wink: However a friend told me after my Fiance and I got out of there (we both ran to the washroom), one of the guys said something like "maybe they didn't like it? did we offend them? Are they vegetarians or something?" honestly that's second hand info, not sure. Maybe someone else who was there remembers. Either way it's something to laugh at. What was embarassing for me is that it was one of those long falls right in front of them and I could hear them from the stage going "oohhh...ahhhh!" as I fell :bang: And then Jemaine says "yeah we'll just leave between songs and they won't notice"...LOL

Hee hee it was after the "Stana" song...they were like "Maybe we offended them..." "Maybe it was the molesting part..." "Maybe it was the homosexuality bit at the end there." "Maybe it was the bowl of steak. Maybe they're vegetarians."

The fact that they are so quick on their feet with snappy responses still amazes me. Brilliant comedic minds.

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm

That Sugalumps vid is effing hysterical. Hahahaha, Bret grabbing that girl's hand and then jumping back.....I love that guy. :lol: It seems Sugalumps is replacing the Boom booty-shake maybe?

OMG, that last picture with Jemaine....... :roll2: What the heck was he doing? It looks like they're holding him up somehow, was he pretending to be drunk? :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Val2150 wrote:OMG, that last picture with Jemaine....... :roll2: What the heck was he doing? It looks like they're holding him up somehow, was he pretending to be drunk? :lol:

Yup! We all had our arms around each other in a nice smiley & friendly way, and right before the pic was snapped I felt him suddenly slump back a bit & tilt his head back into that silly but lovable drunkard pose. :rolls:

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”