April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: April 22 - Toronto (second of two nights)

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:39 am

I keep watching the end of Sugalumps..... *le sigh* :love:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

OmgSarah
New arrival

Postby OmgSarah » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 am

Aww, its great to hear that they did the meet and greet the second night. Really wish I could have made it. They really do seem like lovely guys. I hope Turnip hugged them extra hard for me!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:09 am

I'm hanging around outside the back door to this thread, hoping Turnip, bibli and Amanda will stop by for a meet and greet... :lol:

Security keeps trying to make me leave, but I'm not buying it. :hrmpf:
Last edited by mockingbird on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:12 am

mockingbird wrote:I'm hanging around outside the back door to this thread, hoping Turnip, bibli and Amanda will stop by for a meet and greet... :lol:

Where are those lovely laydeez??

True that...

Unless :o

they spent all night with Jem and Bret and saw them off to Detroit and are still catching up on their sleep from the wild party they had!?!?!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:14 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
mockingbird wrote:I'm hanging around outside the back door to this thread, hoping Turnip, bibli and Amanda will stop by for a meet and greet... :lol:

True that...

they spent all night with Jem and Bret and saw them off to Detroit and are still catching up on their sleep from the wild party they had!?!?!

Ha ha! I was thinking that same thing. :lol:

Maybe they're ON the tour bus, and you'll see them tomorrow night! :rock: :supz: :lol:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:15 am

mockingbird wrote:
kellysouthpaw wrote:

True that...

Ha ha! I was thinking that same thing. :lol:

Maybe they're ON the tour bus, and you'll see them tomorrow night! :rock: :supz: :lol:

That would COMPLETELY rock! I would LOVE that :D

andy
Lost but happy at sea

Postby andy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:05 am

Ok, so here is my account on what has transpired yesterday.

First of all, I been up since 7am yesterday cause I had an exam in the morning. In fact, it was my last exam of my last year at UofT, so thing couldn’t have worked out better. Last exam ever + 1st (and hopefully many of) fotc concert in the same day. My friend wasn’t so fortunate cause he still have exams but don’t worry, I’ll send him this post so he can read ALL about it hehe. On to the show…

The show started out with a guy who sounded a lot like jemaine, introducing Eugene Mirman over the PA. the guy said something like “Ladies and gentlemen, prepare yourself for…well...just prepare yourself” and “this man has appeared on the Eugene Mirman show, as himself, and has a recurring role on HBO’s flight of the CONTOURS…” Eugene’s set was great. He talked about a wide range of stuffs, like cheesy ads on myspace, and of course, delta airline losing his luggage. The airline ended up sending him a cheque for the value of stuffs that was in his luggage, and he used that money to buy thousand of postcards with an angry letter written on them, so that he can give them out at his show, and everyone can send them to the airline. (you can see it in the link below) On to the CONTOURS!!!

They came out with their robot heads and played Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor. As mentioned by other attendees, the ushers were SUPER strict on the no video rule. I tried to record the song, but not even a minute into it, an usher pointed his flashlight at me. :| The “professional talking” between them was hilarious. Bret said he enjoyed his time of hanging out with a bunch of Torontons (it suppose to be Torontonians haha), and jemaine said he was getting climatize to our weather, but then he said that they will be gone in a few hours…thankfully. OUCH! That led perfectly into Hurt Feelings. Even though I been spoiling myself by watching it on youtube, I still LOL’ed when jemaine goes, “it takes a long time to make a casserole motherf*ckers!!!” After the song they talked about the hecklers, saying that’s not part of their show. Then someone yelled out something, but no one could hear what he said, so bret said the guy probably wanted to heckle but then gave up. Then jemaine goes “ya, its hard for them to sustain their confidence for more than 5 seconds”. After they played Stana, they spotted someone in the crowd who was recording the show even though he was trying to cover up the red light on his camera, and jemaine pointed him out to the securities. I couldn’t see what happened to the guy, but bret whispered “busted”. Next, bret asked the female in the audience to harmonize with him during Carol Brown, and from where I was sitting, they sounded pretty good! After the song they introduced Nigel to the stage and jemaine teased him about having Mexican food for lunch while in Canada, and that’s when bret goes, “i had a bath in maple syrup today, the traditional Canadian bath”. Next they spotted an empty seat in the audience and they asked why. Then I think someone yelled out he went to the washroom, so bret and jemaine decided that they would wait for him to come back before they continue playing. And they really did!!! For more than a minute haha. (I actually didn’t know that a girl fell while she was going back to her seat until I read it here, sorry that it happened to you photogirl :( ) Later, someone yelled out Freebird, and they DID play it. Although to be honest, I rather hear a conchords song instead. Someone also yelled out “Slayer!” and bret was like that’s not a song, that’s a band, and jemaine recommended him to go to a different concert instead, maybe Slayer haha. The last song that they played before the encore was the We’re Both in Love with a Sexy Lady/Sugarlumps combo. And from what I saw, during Sugarlumps bret extended his hand out to a girl in the crowd, but when she tried to go on stage, bret was like “Whoo Whoo…Security!!!” For the encore, they came out wearing red trucker hats and played Demon Woman. And to finish off their show, they played the Bus Driver Song and Bowie before going out to a standing ovation!!! I actually never heard of the Bus Driver song before I came to the forum, but im glad that I did find out about it because it is hilarious. Now, on to the meet and greet!!!

While waiting for them to come out, that’s where I met winky, whippet and her husband. Winky got the setlist, and whippet and her husband were wearing the penguin pjs haha. My thanks go out to them for taking pic with me, bret and jemaine!!! It didn’t take long for bret to come out, we waited for maybe 45min. he was extremely nice, signing autographs and taking pics with everyone. I got my pic taken with him and got my season 1 dvd cover signed. Then jemaine came out about 30min later, and not only did he signed my dvd cover, he also took pic with me for THREE times!!! The first time we were both looking at different cameras, so later when I went back to him, to make sure that we were both looking at the same one, we both pointed to my camera. Unfortunately, there one came out blurry, so I went back to him AGAIN, and he gladly did it again. I just cant imagine any other famous person would that for their fans. (And yes, I looked like a midget standing beside him haha). When he was done taking pics and hugging everyone, he asked “is there anyone else?” before he stepped onto the tour bus. After meeting with both bret and jemaine, they just reconfirmed the fact that they are the nicest “celebrities” in the world. When they meet their fans, they are having as much fun as the fans that are meeting them!

Here are the other songs that they played but I cant remember what order or when they played them during the show:

Jenny
Epileptic Dogs with remix (fortunately, no epileptic dog was in the audience)
Pencils in the Wind
Mutha Uckas
If You're Into It

(and others that I forgot)

I also took pics during the show, but my seat was in the UP-UPPER gallery, so they weren’t that great.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37737229@N ... 236393492/

ps. After the meet and greet, I went to eat with my friend. And when we were almost finished, we saw bret was walking out of the restaurant with his family. Well...im 90% sure that was him cause the place was dark, but he had the same hair, bread, and wore the EXACT same jacket that bret has when he took the pic with me. But don’t kill me if I am wrong haha.
Last edited by andy on Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
They try to get me doing time
For committing the perfect rhyme
My face is on rhyme watch and all that crap
They’re accusing ME of attempted rap
Help! Help! The Rhymenoceros, he's rapping me
F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Folk music!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks andy for sharing your experience and photos! Aww it's really nice of Bret and Jemaine to be willing to make sure every single fan is attended to and make sure their pics came out good. Glad you had a great time 8)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:24 am

Were Bibli, Amanda, and Turnip flying out after the show? I'm wondering why we haven't heard from the ladies with the great manicures! :wink:

This sounds like a very fun night. Epileptic Dogs sounds amazing. And Sugalumps - well, what can you say? I was agog watching it, I can imagine how you all must have felt being in the audience. :love:

So glad they did a meet and greet. Can't wait to hear more stories. :waiting:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

andy
Lost but happy at sea

Postby andy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 am

oops, i just realized that i wrote bread instead of beard near the end...oh well haha
They try to get me doing time
For committing the perfect rhyme
My face is on rhyme watch and all that crap
They’re accusing ME of attempted rap
Help! Help! The Rhymenoceros, he's rapping me
F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Folk music!

WhippetGood
Lost but happy at sea

Postby WhippetGood » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Venus wrote:Found this blog with a few mp3 files attached. I presume that it's you Whippet I can hear who shouted out 'Epileptic Dogs' just before they sang it, cool! Love that song, sounds great live too :D

Source

Thank you so much for finding it (and of course the original blogger who recorded it)! That WAS indeed me shouting for Epileptic Dogs!! :D

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:16 pm

They are great... but I so wish I knew what they were doing onstage????

Whippet, what were they doing when Jem said "Notice any difference?"
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for sharing your story andy. Your pics are awesome.
90% evil
ImageImage

ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello my loveliest of folkers!

Sorry about the radio silence. I swear we haven't been trying to keep you all on tenterhooks. It's just been a combination of too many things - staying up till five in the morning a couple of nights in a row, getting Amanda packed up and tucked safely on her plane back to Europe, and, probably most importantly, just not being able to compress the experience into words. Does that happen to anyone else? I mean, I deal in words, I haemorrhage letters, I eat adjectives for breakfast. I love finding a way to translate life into language, but there are some moments that completely defy compression or explanation, and this is one of them for me. So please, please bear with me if I stop at some point and just grin vacantly like an inbred yokel who's been sniffing paint fumes.

All of the wonderful accounts of the show posted by everyone have been so great, that I don't need to echo their fantastic details and stories. The boys were definitely more comfortable and relaxed on stage the second night - I mean, they were brilliant on the first night, but they were absolutely on fire on Wednesday. I think being able to wind down and getting a good night's sleep, as well as having a better feeling for the venue and the friendly Toronto vibe really gave them a boost. The bit where they stopped the show when a lad went out for a quick wee was genuinely hysterical. I think I saw god for a moment, I was laughing so hard. They just chilled out on stage, chatted away, and conspiratorially plotted with us that when the chap came back and started to sit down, we'd either pretend to be brainwashed zombies or shout en masse "No, no! Don't sit there!" We eventually decided on the latter, and the poor guy must have thought he'd stumbled into a nightmare for a moment. Wonderful.

The other bit that really sticks out for me was Freebird. About halfway through the show came the inevitable shout, and instead of ignoring it, or making fun of the heckler, or strumming a few bars of it, they just laughed and launched into a full, gorgeous, five-minute version of it, complete with soaring cello and lush harmonies and all. It was truly fantastic. Amanda and Bibli and I were talking about it afterwards, and decided that it was the perfect response: It served as a kind of refreshing musical palate cleanser in the middle of the show, it absolutely and completely shut down any need for anyone to shout out "Freebird!" again, and more than anything else, it was genuinely hilarious to see them all really grab hold and go for it. It was full on, man: overwhelmingly beautiful and funny, and I'm not sure whether the tiny salty tear that squeaked out of my eye was due to the surreal hilarity or unbearable loveliness of the moment. But it was beyond great, and I wouldn't trade the memory of it for anything.

After the show, we buttoned up our coats and headed out into the freezing cold night to check out the look of the crowd by the stage door. It was icy! But the crowd seemed relaxed, although quite big, and Amanda, Bibli and I stomped our feet and rubbed our gloved hands together to stay warm while we waited. We were anticipating the long, two-hour waits that we'd been hearing about from other meet-and-greets, so it was a bit of a surprise when Bret bounced out of the stage door like a dishevelled bunny rabbit fifteen minutes later. He immediately launched into autographs and photos, and was extremely patient and easy-going with everyone. Jemaine popped out about ten minutes later (I think it was about ten minutes - time sort of telescopes, you know?), and worked the other side of the crowd. We were hanging back, none of us being particularly interested in pushing through the crowd or shouting to get attention, and as we stood there, watching and making silent "Holy shii!" eyeballs at each other, I noticed a familiar red-shirted, be-hatted form sneaking through the crowd.

I called out "Nigel!" (I think I called. It might have been a squeal. Oh god, I hope it wasn't a squeal), and he turned to me, looking a bit surprised. I babbled something inane at him, and felt frantically in my bag for my Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra CD. I asked him if he'd mind signing it, and offered it out to him. He held it and stared at me in surprise, and then laughed very gently. He said, "I can't believe you have this. Where....where did you get it?" I told him that Amplifier.co.nz owns my ass, and he nodded bemusedly. Amanda handed him her pen, and he took it, and slid the liner notes out, and laughed fondly as he unfolded it. As he signed his picture, I told him how much I loved it, and how I've been sustaining myself on bootleg copies of his version of Toto's Africa from the Christmas show in Wellington. He looked absolutely elated, and immediately told me that he'd recorded it already, and that it would be coming out quite soon. He also said that the WIUO is planning to do a tour of the US next year, probably in the summer, and that he'd make sure to get all the info up on the website as soon as he knew for sure.

Nigel seemed absolutely amazed that at the edge of the Conchords crowd on a freezing cold night, there was this person who knew who he was, and was really, really excited to talk to him, and not rushing to snap a pic with the boys. He must have said thank you to me about five or six times, and it sounded incredibly heartfelt. He said, "No really, you're paying my rent. I appreciate your support so much. Thank you so much for caring." I was blushing away, and telling him he was being silly, but he just looked so damn pleased that I wanted to ruffle his curls and give him an enormous hug. But I settled for asking him if it would be okay if I got a photo with him, and he said "Yeah!" like it'd been the offer he'd been waiting for his whole life, and immediately put his arm around me, and patiently waited until Bibli and Amanda had gotten a shot (it took a while, figuring out flash settings and whatnot). I put my arm around his waist, and I could feel how warm he was through his thin red shirt. When we'd finished, he was still chatting away, but I was feeling badly for keeping him outside for so long, so I shooed him off to go get a coat on, and he grinned at me and disappeared through the stage door, unnoticed by the rest of the crowd.

Whew. Okay, I have to take a break for a mo, get some tea, and check if Bibli's up. Hang on.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Awwww come back Turnip! And what a sweetie Nigel is - I want his autograph too! :D

Can't wait to hear about your Bret moments :biggrin:

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”