Post tour group hug and catch up corner

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Post tour group hug and catch up corner

Postby songbird » Wed May 27, 2009 4:18 am

I'm extremely sad that the tour is over. :( It's going to be really sad to come home every day and suddenly not have any new tour news to read about...
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to share their show experiences with us. Seeing the guys live in Toronto created some of the best memories of my life, and I will NEVER forget that night. I don't think I'll ever be able to get over meeting Bret and Jemiane. That truly was the icing on the cupcake. It is an experience that is so hard to explain in words, and whenever I try to tell my friends about it, my explanation barely explains what it felt like to experience that. Luckily lots of you guys here understand, because you got to experience the same thing!! :D
I also owe a HUGE thank you to WTF!, because it is here that I discovered that the meet and greets were occurring. Without this site, I never would have known about the meet and greets. So thanks so much WTF!, for helping to make April 22 the best night of my life.

Highlights of the 2nd Toronto show for me included (that I can remember offhand):
-first show to hear (p)epileptic dogs live! :D
-Bret making fun of an audience member for giving up on his heckle halfway through
-Bret saying that he took the traditional Canadian bath in Maple syrup :roll2:
-SEEING BOWIE LIVE (my fav song, I couldn't breathe I was so excited)
-Bret imitating a heckler and saying "your sexy" in his attempt at a Canadian accent
-Jemaine's voices during Albi
-the beautiful harmonies on Bus Driver's Song
-the speech about glue vs tape during Sellotape
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Wed May 27, 2009 5:08 am

Even though I couldn't get tickets to a concert, just want to thank everyone here for talking about your experiences and posting pics, etc. It was fun to live vicariously through you. Made me feel like I was there! :D

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Wed May 27, 2009 8:06 am

Great idea for a thread! (Let's see how short I can keep this...) Some of my personal highlights include:

Kent State

* Seeing Kristen Schaal live! (kicks self for not hanging around in the rain for an hour for the meet-and-greet) I think she's great.

* Watching the two fans in full robot costumes get up from their front-row seats and start dancing along to the Binary Solo. Even the guys were laughing!

* Getting yelled at by security for trying to take a decent picture during "Stana", and how my little brother refused to make eye contact with me for a good twenty minutes, like he was ashamed to know me or something.

* Spending 2 1/2 hours driving home in the pouring rain and managing not to drive off the road while arguing with Matthew.

Detroit

* Learning the hard way that my dad has no sense of direction, turning an easy one-hour trip into an agonizing four-hour trip. "East 14 Mile Road is not West 14 Mile Road, Dad!"

* Meeting Kelly, the most generous and sweet concert date a guy could ask for. (Can't wait to puke on your shoes next week!) And Laura, her poor beleaguered husband, Ardy, and a couple of random people at the meet-and-greet - proof that internet people are not *all* crazy basement dwellers.

* Getting those FOTC magnets after the first show. Take that, Matthew!

* Having my moment of glory in front of 5,100+ people (paraphrased because no one has the f*cking audio):
"Play whatever you want!"
Jemaine: "Play whatever we want? I don't think anyone's ever said that at a show before. Thank you, sir, I believe we will."

And the way Jemaine kept looking at me during the next song, as if to say "see what you've done?" Whenever I'm feeling down, I just think of that and laugh.

* Meeting Bret and explaining my games to him:
"Oh, I know, you're not really the computer guy."
Bret: "Well, I do know how to use a computer."

* Then getting him to talk to Matthew on the phone to tell him to get a job. How many celebrities would do that for their fans?

* And our "sad" picture, made even funnier by the "sad face" lapel pin he was wearing.

* Jemaine, single-handedly making all those frustrating weeks of game-making totally worth it with the phrase, "I have the game on my laptop."

* Then getting him on the phone with Matthew as well, followed by our "prison photo". The guys were such good sports.

Crap, I was trying to keep this short. Oh, who cares. :roll: So many great memories...

prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed May 27, 2009 12:32 pm

I so wish I had a show to talk about here! First a big huge warm all the way from across the ocean hug to everyone and anyone who posted recaps, shared their pictures, you tube clips, and let us vicariously live through their magical show and meet & greet experiences.

A big thanks to all those who went to the Toronto shows especially! If I was home, I would have been standing there right with you for all the incredible moments. Big ups too for the people that posted almost the second entire show on youtube- between this, recaps, and the shirt my friend bought me of the second night, its about as close as you can get to being there without actually being physically present... I mean prisint.

I really did get more excited for the shows that the most WTFers were at. If I don't see them in North America first, I fully plan on flying to the island when they do their UK tour (Turnip and Amanda, yes I am saving my pennies) to have my own crazy travel conchord de-virgining experience with some of you lovelies. Really, as much as the boys are the centre of the experience, it's all of you that make it truly special.

Lastly, without going into too much details, this tour and all of your wonderful selves provided me with some much needed distraction from a pretty tough time these past few months. In two weeks, I will be returning back to Canadialand after three years in MamaAfrica. I am excited, sad and scared, but it's the right decision for so many reasons. Thank you to everyone for providing such incredible unknowing support over the past few months. A HUGE thank you to Bret and Jemaine too, not just for being the best, most talented, kindest guys ever... but for bringing all of us together (single tear).

Enough of the sap! Tour was AWESOME. You are AWESOME. Bret and Jemaine are AWESOME. High five!
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Neeke
Keeping it funky

Postby Neeke » Wed May 27, 2009 12:40 pm

I had such a wonderful time seeing the guys perform in PA. I loved every minute of it! They are true professionals. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they are such generous performers. They give so much to their fans. This was my first live performance that I've attended of theirs and I hope not the last. I hope that they don't get too busy that they put off touring North America again for too long. They need to give me a chance to catch up with some of you in the concert attendance category. :yawinkle:

I certainly do hope that they do an EU tour as well. EU deserves some love too.

I'll miss the guys and their sugarlumps gyrations, their banter, and sweetness.

I need a hug...can I get a hug?
~Oh, that's not fair...I'm really ticklish~

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

Neeke
Keeping it funky

Postby Neeke » Wed May 27, 2009 1:18 pm

prettyrobyngirl wrote:... I fully plan on flying to the island when they do their UK tour (Turnip and Amanda, yes I am saving my pennies) to have my own crazy travel conchord de-virgining experience with some of you lovelies. Really, as much as the boys are the centre of the experience, it's all of you that make it truly special.

Ditto that! I echo everything you have said here prettyrobyngirl. I am so thankful to be a part of WTF! This is a great group. Additionally, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who has considered or is considering traveling abroad to see the guys perform. I mean, just think about all the experiences that would entail. I'm getting excited just thinking about it! :D
~Oh, that's not fair...I'm really ticklish~

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed May 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Yeah Group hugs are very much needed.

I will miss reading the updates and reviews too.

Great job! Sherry and all who work so hard to keep us together! :clap:

There is always the anticipation of the second season FOTC DVD being released this summer right?

Cheers,

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed May 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Also Gentlemen Broncos....and Despicable Me....and the new CD....and Diagnosis Death....and whatever else they come up with! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Wed May 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Neeke wrote:
I certainly do hope that they do an EU tour as well. EU deserves some love too.

We certainly do! Norway isn't technically in the EU, but as I have said earlier, I would gladly swim across the North Sea to see the guys perform 8)

I'm going to miss the updates from the American tour too. I have enjoyed living vicariously through you all :D Thank you all so much for sharing your stories :hug:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Wed May 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Well I do have a few things to finish posting and updating so all being well there will be a few more bits and pieces to follow.

DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby DaMango » Wed May 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Thank you for your hard work Sherry! I don't know how you do it all. :clap:

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 pm

Brilliant topic for a thread! You can't say what a letdown because the tour is over, because you can relive the memories with the youtube clips and wonderful photos that everyone has posted and all the meet and greet stories make you feel like you are standing and feeling everything that happened during that persons encounter. Sherry and everyone here on the board is so friendly, and you feel like family. After the Berkeley show I saw a huge group of people and immediately two looked very familiar to me (from their avatars) I immediately walked up to them and said you're SheWolf and you're LSully and suddenly we all chatted like we had known each other for years and to have such dedicated fans travels near and far (and very, very far, yes I mean you, Amanda) to show our love and appreciation for the guys.
I started writing letters after the Berkeley show while waiting for the unfulfilled meet and greet that since I was unable to deliver I hope I can share. It's not really a swoon letter, just a letter of appreciation to both. Since I was unable to give it to them I hope I can share them here:

Dear Bret (Jemaine)
I just want to thank you for the entertainment you have provided to all of America (and Canada) during these last few years through your HBO series and live shows. I never so highly anticipated new shows every Sunday evening.....and I was never disappointed with your and Jemaine's (Bret's) beautifully layered and clever songs with the use of unconventional instruments. I even picked up an encyclopedia to read about Maori culture after watching one of your episodes. The Chicago public school system didn't excel at teaching many different cultures and world geography. Even Chicago DJ's used to misidentify Crowded House as being from "down under". Well, I think many Americans are now more culturally aware of New Zealand from your comedy series. I wish you both much success in the future in your musical and acting endeavours and hopefully in some capacity you will grace our shores again with your presence. Until then, I'll be kept entertained with your CD's and DVD (and the upcoming season 2 release). All the best to you and your families. I do love a good leg of lamb from Costco, but I must say you are New Zealand's best export!
Very truly yours,
Christina a/k/a Whambi a/k/a AlwaysWebsurfing
If I did I'd hold you tight into every single night & we'd fall asleep together & we'd wake up in the sunlight. Well, maybe I'm a dreamer, but, maybe one day you'll see, that dreams are......
......Yeah, yeah she gets it, stop cockblocking me!

ravenhpltc24

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 am

Bad Atom, I loved your post. You certainly had multiple rare experiences with the guys. My jealousy cannot be contained within a mere forum reply, rock on dude. :supz:

My time at the Boston show was far less interesting, but I am proud to say that, according to the 2009 Tour Page, I was among the most respectful audiences on the tour. :lol: No one shouted out! I couldn't believe it!! The guys did their thing, people clapped, laughed, cheered, but no hecklers. I can only hope that any future concert I attend will be half as good.
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.

jillbean

Postby jillbean » Thu May 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I'm feeling the love folks!

As many have said, thanks to Sherry for the deluge of info and whatnot she has endured, organized and posted (and more to come!), it is much appreciated! :thumb:

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 pm

DaMango wrote:Thank you for your hard work Sherry! I don't know how you do it all. :clap:

I don't :roll2:

I'm lagging way behind in the tour roundup. I'm half way through the I'm With The Band On Tour page. So long way to go yet.

But I have finished, well, its up and running, the tour posters page :lol:

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”