Meet and Greet Analysis

The place where all the 2009 North American Tour is now living. Gig threads, pre and post gig threads, meet and greets, the works. All found here.
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:19 pm

LauraK wrote:
4evercf wrote:I still daydream about it every single day.
:nod:
All of us who were lucky enough to meet them do, I think...I can't imagine we're the only ones! :yawinkle:
...waits for others to chime in their agreement...

It was quite a night... :whitey: *closes eyes, imagines only the good parts* shivers, heartpounds, swoons
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:31 pm

Ooh tell us the good parts. Was it when you squeezed them both??

The part I liked best was that I barely got the hug question out of my mouth when Jemaine moved towards me & locked me in his arms. I was like ohhh & then oh yis. :D
90% evil
ImageImage

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 pm

SheWolf wrote:Ooh tell us the good parts. Was it when you squeezed them both??

I think the part I liked best was that I barely got the hug question out of my mouth when Jemaine moved towards me & locked me in his arms. For a split second I was like - ohhh- and then oh yis. :D

I like that story :D
Oh Jemmy, the things he'll do for us...

I think the part I liked best when I met them was when I made Jemaine laugh. Of course it was unintentional, but it was still one of the sweetest things I'd ever seen and I pretty much turned into a puddle of goo when it happened.
Actually I lied, its a tie between that moment and the moment when I told him that the show was amazing and thanked him so much for everything. He seemed so genuinely surprised and humbled at that comment, and just hearing him say "I'm so glad you liked it" was incredible.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:10 pm

I like that story. :D

songbird wrote:when I told him that the show was amazing and thanked him so much for everything. He seemed so genuinely surprised and humbled at that comment.
How sweet. You'd think he'd be used to hearing how awesome he is but it's nice to know he isnt the least bit jaded by any of it.
90% evil
ImageImage

songbird

Postby songbird » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:10 pm

SheWolf wrote:I like that story. :D

songbird wrote:when I told him that the show was amazing and thanked him so much for everything. He seemed so genuinely surprised and humbled at that comment.
How sweet. You'd think he'd be used to hearing how awesome he is but it's nice to know he isnt the least bit jaded by any of it.

I know, I was quite surprised. And when he said thank you, you could tell he really meant it. It was so nice to see that he really took my appreciation to heart. God, what a good guy :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:29 pm

I've heard from other people too that he seemed genuinely surprised by their complimentary comments. He's such a good boy to be so humble. His mama raised a good one.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:14 pm

SheWolf wrote:Ooh tell us the good parts. Was it when you squeezed them both??

The part I liked best was that I barely got the hug question out of my mouth when Jemaine moved towards me & locked me in his arms. I was like ohhh & then oh yis. :D

Ooooo SheWolf, your "good part" was very, very good. He was quite the "eager boy"! :D More details? I can't get enough...

:oops: But it makes me remember one of my bad parts. (I apologize in advance for the retelling of my M&G, but in my defense SheWolf asked, and we are in a Meet and Greet Analysis thread)

My friend was ready to take my pic with the J-God, er I mean the J-Dog, and Jemaine says something blissfull like, "How do you want me?" and my friend says boldly (as rehearsed), "She would really like a hug picture." I was so embarrassed that I quickly said (like a flipping idiot) "No, no just take the picture." and then :whitey: (enter the good stuff) he put his arm around me, and I put my arm around him, then flash, moment over. From the look on his face in our picture, he probably thought I was grossed out at the thought of a hug from him. :bang: If he only knew...

But you asked about the good parts...

Chronological list of good parts:
-Meeting all the other fans waiting outside the Arie Crown in the dark misty Chicago night. We had a lot of laughs in that 1+ hour of waiting.
-Banter with the security guard and the roadies carrying items back and forth from bus to bldg.
-The glorius moment that Bret walks up out of the ramp, smiles up at us and promises to join us after dropping a few things off at the bus.
-I didn't drop dead.
-Spontaneous hugging of Bret. Inhaling. Being blown away by him (quite a new feeling for me at the time) So tall, so beautiful, so confident, so not the "Bret" I had in my mind.
-My conversation with Bret. ".....nonchalant....*laugh*...." (one of the REALLY good parts!)
-Glancing over my shoulder while talking to Bret to see JEMAINE walk up out of the ramp. :thud: Seriously good part.
-Spontaneous hugging of Jemaine. Forgot to breath, I was near death at that moment. I do remember how big he is, I was on my tippy toes. He felt good. Looked good. Uh huh. :nod:
-Jemaine signing, smiling, and sweet, yet a bit uncomfortable. Photo with Jemaine. (see above :oops: )
-Bret coming around after a bit with a fruit plate. Eating strawberries and group chatting it up with the Conchords. :D Not bad, eh?
-Randomly finding myself standing next to Jemaine (I guess everyone else was done with him) and having a one-on-one chat. Oh, listening to his accent... Trying not to pass out from the eye-contact... Trying to act "normal" and stuff... 8) good, good part.
-Meeting Eugene and Nigel.

Oh, my list of regrets and redo's is probably just as long, but those are the bits I try to focus on.

Whew, that was so long. That'll teach ya to ask me questions. :wink:
Image..Image..Image

funny schipperke

Postby funny schipperke » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:23 pm

More M&G stories! :hammer: (please)

I need to live vicariously through you all since I didn't get to meet them. :cry:
Image Image

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Nonch, did you ever post any pics of you with the guys? I'd love to see them. :eyelashes:

Sigh. I wish they'd just stay permanently on tour. (At my house.) Seriously, though - I miss those guys! boo-hoo

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:40 pm

When I get home from work I'll try to figure out how to set up my pics for you all to see. My kids are in a lot of them and thus far I've avoided plastering my offspring across the internet. Probably link it on the members section.

Huge sigh in agreement with your sigh. The tour was divine. Miss 'em. yup i do.
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Ooh, I can't wait to see them. I don't have a password for the members section but I just asked Sherry for it today so maybe by tonight. Or I guess one of y'all could tell me what it is, I don't imagine Sherry will refuse to give it to me, although I suppose you never know. ;)

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:52 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:My friend was ready to take my pic with the J-God, er I mean the J-Dog, and Jemaine says something blissfull like, "How do you want me?" and my friend says boldly (as rehearsed), "She would really like a hug picture." I was so embarrassed that I quickly said (like a flipping idiot) "No, no just take the picture." and then :whitey: (enter the good stuff) he put his arm around me, and I put my arm around him, then flash, moment over. From the look on his face in our picture, he probably thought I was grossed out at the thought of a hug from him. :bang: If he only knew...

I'm sure he understood, Nonch. You wouldn't have been outside waiting to meet him if you thought he was gross. He probably encounters nervous fans all the time. Plus being shy himself, I'm sure he can relate.

And, at least he put his arm around you! Lucky, lucky lady! I so desperately wanted to ask him to do that but I was just way too embarrassed. I was so worried about imposing on him, or asking him to do something he didn't really want to do... I dunno, I just cheesed out. I was so flustered I'm lucky I didn't just pass out at his feet. And I was so afraid of saying something stupid I didn't really say anything hardly at all! Ha ha! What a dork I am. I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me whine about how lame I was at the M&G so I'll shut up now. It really was wonderful to meet both of them and I wish I could do it every day, lol. Maybe then I'd eventually get used to it and be able to act like a normal human being around them. ;)

funny schipperke

Postby funny schipperke » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:03 pm

From what the girls that did get hugs have said, he seems to enjoy giving them, sweetheart that he is. :love:
I would be way more embarrassed asking him to get on one knee and pretend he's proposing, or to carry me or something like that. The fact that he does those things shows what a good sport he is, but I would feel terrible asking him to do anything weird like that.
Last edited by funny schipperke on Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Just photoshop Bret and Jemaine's faces on em.....:)

Favorite parts:

~Thinking we might be late cuz I wasn't sure if I needed to stop at the souvenir table only to have kelly call right then and say no worries- she'd picked up my stuff already! :hug:

~Heading to our seats and seeing Kelly and Ardy and joining them for a minute or 2 of pre-show excited-talk, lol!

~Getting to our front-row seats and realizing how flipping close we were going to be to them!

~The whole show. :)

~Everything about the M&G- seeing how they interacted with the other fans as we waited (and remember, they came out at separate times for us)

~Just meeting and talking with them...thankfully not objectifying them whilst in their presence but realizing how sweet, funny, and down-to-earth these 2 men are when they could have had this all go to their heads and turned into arrogant gits. They are so the opposite!

~Both of them so keen to sign the pic of my son when I honestly never intended that....I just wanted him "there" and to show them him wearing his robots hoodie and tell then he was also a fan! (Of what we'd let him watch, lol.)

~The Hug with Jemaine.....*sigh* Don't really remember the details.....just that I was really happy and he was really obliging and sweet.

~Seeing Tom become a bit shy at meeting Jemaine and asking J to sign the guitar shirt he was wearing. Then their pic, when Jemaine said he was going to look jealous and Tom just couldn't do it....he was grinning ear-to-ear, consumed by ManCrush, lol. Can you blame him? :D

~As Jemaine finished and started away, I said "OH...." and I leaned in a bit and quietly said "congratulations on your marriage and the birth of your son." He- like others have said- seemed a bit taken aback and said "thank you," very sincerely.

~Watching them both with Michael and Kelly. :) Seeing how happy M&K both were. (I wish I'd thought to have my camera ready when Michael showed Jemaine his game poster and told him about it, cuz when Jemaine said "Oh yes, I have that on my laptop," I'd love to have a pic of Michael's face! To give him credit, it was fleeting surprise/shock/happiness and he recovered quickly.) Somehow we were more separated from Ardy and her family...I think they met the guys before we did.

The negatives? Mainly that the things I meant to ask flew out of my head.....that I didn't just hit record and set my camera down cuz it picked up audio beautifully.....and that I didn't make Tom go and get the cookies I'd made them.

Next time..... 8)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:13 pm

mockingbird wrote:
nonchalant obsession wrote:My friend was ready to take my pic with the J-God, er I mean the J-Dog, and Jemaine says something blissfull like, "How do you want me?" and my friend says boldly (as rehearsed), "She would really like a hug picture." I was so embarrassed that I quickly said (like a flipping idiot) "No, no just take the picture." and then :whitey: (enter the good stuff) he put his arm around me, and I put my arm around him, then flash, moment over. From the look on his face in our picture, he probably thought I was grossed out at the thought of a hug from him. :bang: If he only knew...

I'm sure he understood, Nonch. You wouldn't have been outside waiting to meet him if you thought he was gross. He probably encounters nervous fans all the time. Plus being shy himself, I'm sure he can relate.

And, at least he put his arm around you! Lucky, lucky lady! I so desperately wanted to ask him to do that but I was just way too embarrassed. I was so worried about imposing on him, or asking him to do something he didn't really want to do... I dunno, I just cheesed out. I was so flustered I'm lucky I didn't just pass out at his feet. And I was so afraid of saying something stupid I didn't really say anything hardly at all! Ha ha! What a dork I am. I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me whine about how lame I was at the M&G so I'll shut up now. It really was wonderful to meet both of them and I wish I could do it every day, lol. Maybe then I'd eventually get used to it and be able to act like a normal human being around them. ;)

OK, I know I'm totally over-analysing this but since I've found a sympathetic ear...

I was wearing a total Bret shirt. (gift from friend for my bday) I'm sure I came off as a complete Bretero! (kinda funny now) So maybe he thought he was just, you know, the "other" Conchord to me. I would die if I hurt his feelings at all. Plus I made a really stupid comment to Jemaine about Bret that I will never have the courage to repeat to anyone. If you add them all together, it was a big ole mess. I comfort myself with the knowledge that I was forgotten immediately, because he was certainly kind and more relaxed by the time we had our little "chat".

I kind of wish I could have clammed up, like you Mock. But I guess we both have regrets. :(
I know what you mean about not wanting to impose. I know that's why I said no to my hug pic. I just wish I would have told him that that was the reason why. Then after seeing all the cool pictures and poses that the guys will do if asked. ARRggggg! I want my "Blonde not Bombs" picture! :bang: And my hug picture... :tears:

LauraK! Great descriptions! This is so fun, I like reliving everyone's "moments"!

:nice:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “2009 Tour Archives”