Page 7 of 9

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:44 pm
by DaMango
nonchalant obsession wrote:

DaMango: That's awesome that you gave Bret the lyrics. You wrote the song for him? That's cool. 8)


Yes, I wrote an original song for Bret, and one for Jemaine as well. It took many words to try to explain this simple fact to Jemaine, but he summarized it for me by saying, "so it's one each?" I'm tellin' ya, I did not come off too bright to that man. :bang:

I gave them the lyrics tucked inside thank you cards, and when I gave Bret his card, he asked if I included the chords with the lyrics. Sadly, I did not, but I hope to get the dang things recorded one day. I'll just send a link to their Myspace page, and pray that they hear them eventually. I promised each of the guys that their songs would blow them away. Bret laughed and played along by saying, "they're prime cuts, the classics!" whereas Jemaine pretty much said, "Oh really, ok..." :lol: I felt bad because Jemaine's song wasn't finished, so the lyrics weren't very long. It's ok, because the finished product will indeed blow him away. Hee hee...

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:01 am
by nonchalant obsession
SheWolf wrote:It would be my privilege to be the wing beneath WTFers wings. With god as my witness no WTFer will ever be be remorseful after a meet and greet again!

SheWolf...
Image
Cue the romantic orchestrations...
source: needcoffee.com

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:04 am
by Faith
nonchalant obsession wrote:
SheWolf wrote:It would be my privilege to be the wing beneath WTFers wings. With god as my witness no WTFer will ever be be remorseful after a meet and greet again!

SheWolf...
Image
Cue the romantic orchestrations...
source: needcoffee.com



:roll2:

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:13 am
by kellysouthpaw
vmh wrote:My biggest regret at the Vegas show had nothing to do with the meet and greet after the show. It was what happened before the show.

I posted the full story back in the Vegas discussion but I'll briefly share what happened again here. Before the show, I was walking around the casino while waiting for other WTF! members to show up and I pulled my camera out to take pictures when all of a sudden, Jem and Nigel came walking past me. I froze. I wasn't expecting a chance to meet them. They walked down the hallway, into the entrance of The Joint so after quickly pulling myself together, I followed them into the venue. Nigel must have went inside because I only saw Jem standing near the merch table. A couple that spotted him must have had the same idea as me because they went inside and got to him first. They talked with him for a few minutes and took pictures while I tried to act as nonchalant as possible. So after the couple started to walk away, I thought "Here's my chance!" It was perfect. No other fans. The only other people in the lobby were guarding the merch table. But instead of approaching him, I just stood off to the side and watched him walk inside. I blew it! I don't know what the hell happened. :cry:

I had a second chance after the show though. I am lucky! But to screw up the first opportunity? Why?! Why?! Why?!


But you probably don't even realize how much Jemaine appreciated this. Meet and greets are one thing - they are prepared and willing to go out and meet everybody waiting. When you approach them before the show or sneak around to the other side of the building because you've been tipped off they're sneaking out another way - that's kind of low. I mean - the guys will always oblige, but I'd want to know that they wanted to meet with fans, not that I was encroaching upon them during their "me" time you know?

So I think he probably really appreciates that you left him be before the show 8)

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 am
by 4everconchordsfan
Thank you again for taking that picture of Jem and me! My camera was on strange behavior that night. I'm looking for a new one. I felt embarrassed when we tried to get that group shot of us and Arj and Arj was like, "WoaaH! Triple flasher!" :lol:

I seriously doubt that he's going to run from you. Check out the picture of him smiling while reading your card! I know you have several times already but check again. That photo album is one of the sweetest things I've seen a fan give to them. You put a lot of work into that and I bet he appreciated it. In fact, I'm sure the next time you meet him, he'll probably remember you-If not by face, then at least by the gift. Ask him for a hug next time! It'll make everything better.


Awww, it certainly was my pleasure & the best thing that could happen would be me & you in that same scenario, immediately if not sooner, & seeing that glow again as I take a pic of you & Jem in a snug hug. Hopefully that will happen for us again real soon. I'll be there for ya girlfriend. :whitey:

:bolt: off to immerse myself in the pic of Jem reading the card that I gave him. It may be awhile before im back...watch things for me here and dont let me miss stuff. K?

p.s. I love my Canon Power Shot, it takes amazing pictures and the video is so good the sound is clear as ever.

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 am
by LauraK
I hadn't seen those pics before! Good on her- I'd not be brave enough but you can't fault her for going for it and they turned out great. Love the last one of J not looking too grossed out, lol! :lol:

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:02 am
by kellysouthpaw
I'll share my Bret story just for Nonch :)

So when Bret got to me, I asked if he'd sign my poster. He used my back as a table and started scribbling, then I hear him stop and kind of go, "Hmm" like he was thinking of what to write. So...like an IDIOT I say, "How about something heartfelt" then immediately mentally kick myself in the arse and blurt out "-but not weird!" then mentally kick myself in the arse HARDER. He kind of nervously laughs and goes, "O...okay" and starts scribbling some more. Then I ask if I could get a picture and he says, "Sure! Photo op!" and Michael takes the picture (or maybe it was Laura - it's all such a blur). Later when I look at the poster I see that Bret wrote:

Image

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 am
by nonchalant obsession
Thanks Kelly! :clap: That's so awesome, and hilarius the way you tell it! :D That poster.... :prayer: Wow.
My heart melts. Ah Bret. :thud: What a man.

Can someone get BadAtom over here to tell his story?

DaMango wrote:Yes, I wrote an original song for Bret, and one for Jemaine as well. It took many words to try to explain this simple fact to Jemaine, but he summarized it for me by saying, "so it's one each?"

:rolls: Zing!

Have you shared your lyrics/song over on the talent thread? I for one would love to see them.

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 am
by kellysouthpaw
His story is over in the Detroit gig thread. I could copy/paste it if you want :)

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:43 am
by nonchalant obsession
I want.

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:47 am
by kellysouthpaw
Finally, Part 3: the Meet & Greet!

Well, this is the part most of us in this thread remember because we were all there. :P After the second show ended and we figured out where the guys would come out, I raced to my car to grab my stuff (my poster and my video camera). Yeah, I forgot to grab the CDs with my games on them, but as it turned out I didn't really need them! Then we spent the next 45 minutes or so hanging out - I entertained everyone with stories of my own Mel-like stalker and my almost-criminal record. :)

And I don't think anyone has mentioned it so far, but we didn't see Eugene or Nigel. I know Kristen came out for the meet & greet at Kent, which I'm still kicking myself about.

Bret came out first, well, actually he was trapped by the chain-link fence. He said, "Hey guys!" and everyone said hi to him. He said, "I feel like I'm in prison," so I yelled, "Jump the fence!" Someone finally let him out and he started mingling with the fans. There was no barrier like they had set up at some of the shows, and there was only one security dude with him. He was real cheerful about the whole thing and the crowd of 40 or so was pretty polite. This was my first meet & greet so I was surprised at the lack of screaming fanatics. We all hung back a bit so we could be last - saving the best for last...? He told everyone about how people were worried about them playing Detroit, because it's such a scary place and all. (I'd be more scared of filming in New York City at night, but that's just me.) From what I could tell, the crowd forgave him for calling Detroit a "derelict" city earlier. :)

When he got to me, he said, "Hey, how's it going?" and I said, "Hi, I have something you've never signed before," and showed him the game poster, which he got a big kick out of. I asked if he had ever seen the game - he hadn't. It didn't surprise me since he's on record as not being a big computer/internet/MySpace fan.

Me: Oh, I know, you're not really the computer guy.
Bret: Well, I do know how to use a computer.
Me: (laughs to cover up the fact that he probably thinks I think he's computer illiterate)

e

So I told him a bit about the game(s), including the fact that his video game character can jump higher than Jemaine's. :) He said that Jemaine had probably seen it, then asked if I had a copy of the game with me, at which point I should have said, "Yeah, they're in my car but I forgot 'em because I'M A MORON." Instead, I told him that it was online and I gave him one of my BADATOM.COM business cards. I *always* have those on me. He said they'd have to put my games on their website, which was awesome.



Then I had him sign the poster to Matthew, at which point you girls went "Aww," 'cause it was so sweet of me. Sweet had nothing to do with it - it was guilt that he couldn't come to the show with me! I thanked him and asked for a picture (or "photo" as he kept telling everyone). We stood shoulder-to-shoulder (he's a bit shorter than I thought, it's the poofy hair that makes him seem taller) and I knew he was smiling, so I said, "Don't smile, don't smile. Just make a sad face. Just pout." He obliged.



I thanked him and he moved on to the rest of our group. I immediately got Matthew on the phone for his big surprise. Earlier that day, I told my mom to have him keep the phone with him all night and to possibly expect a phone call. He had no idea why, and he was really irritated about it because he HATES secrets. (In fact, he kept texting me wanting to know what was going on so I called him up between the shows and told him, "Just shut up and go with it, okay?")

So I said, "Yeah, I'm in downtown Detroit right now, and I'm standing five feet away from Bret... 'Flight of the Conchords' Bret... Are you awake?" Once Bret was done with the rest of the crowd, I went, "Bret, I have my little brother on the phone with me right now. He helped me make the game (an exaggeration, to be sure). Would you say hi to him and tell him to get a job?"



He seemed to find that funny, then took the phone and asked, "Matthew, right?" I nodded, and he talked to Matthew for a good minute or so about the game, and said "Your brother thinks that if I tell you to get a job that maybe you'll do it." After that, I thanked him, told him, "You're the best," and he headed back in, claiming to be tired. (Well, you know, what? I was tired too! :D) Anyway, he was great, and it was really nice of him to do that.



I stayed on the phone with Matthew for a bit, asking him if he was willing to stay awake now that he knew what was up, and to expect another call soon. Yeah, he didn't have a problem with that.

We all waited a little while longer (less than half an hour, I think) for Jemaine to come out next - we assumed he was taking a nap (or "having a sleep" as it's called). When he did, our group hung back like before, and at this point I must mention that I was in the company of two registered Jemainiacs, to which I could only say "I'm glad I don't have your problem." I'm still trying to think of a female celebrity that would make me all :thud: but I honestly don't get like that. Famous people are just regular people that happen to be famous.

Jemaine finally came out from around the fence, the funniest part being the way Kelly said "Hey, Jemaine...", then he started to "work the room". I refuse to waste too much time talking about that irritating and likely drunk lady who kept monopolizing his time. I hope I ruined all her pictures by giving her dirty looks in the background... But to his credit, Jemaine was very patient and polite, answering her numerous questions and taking a bunch of pictures. He's slightly less boisterous than Bret, but very friendly and talkative.

And yes, Kelly, he did make a remark about "shaving his beard tomorrow". You might have been the last person to ever touch that particular beard. Does that make you feel even more special?

Okay, so when he got to me, I showed him the poster and he clearly recognized his video game likeness. He said, "I've seen it. I have it on my laptop," to which I responded, "Man, you just made my day." (He even mentioned the music - I could have corrected him and mentioned that it wasn't MIDI, it was actually done in FruityLoops Studio using sound samples to make it sound like a Nintendo game, but really, who gives a sh*t, he played my game!) He hadn't played the second game, though, and I explained how it's based on the second season of the show and you get to fight sugar lumps, prostitutes and epileptic dogs. I said, "You gotta play it!" My forum friends voiced their agreement.



I asked him to sign the poster for Matthew and to write something about making him clean his room. It was either that or "help your mother around the house". He obliged - I offered him my back to sign it but he just used his knee instead.

Then he got to Kelly - she gave him her poster to sign and noticed that he still had my pen. So I mock outraged, "You tried to steal my pen?!" and grabbed it out of his hand, to which he responded, "Well, how do you think we get ours?" He's quick with the jokes.

I snapped Kelly's picture with him and I'm glad it turned out so well! And she was fine with him, too, she didn't drool or collapse into a pile of goo or anything. While he was talking to Laura (for a good couple of minutes!) I got back on the phone with Matthew and told him to expect another conversation.

When Jemaine was done, I asked him if he would talk to Matthew, who "helped me make the game, but not really that much." He took the phone (yep, he remembered Matthew's name too) and talked to him about how the game was brilliant and that he'd played it.

Me: Tell him he needs to clean his room.
Jemaine: Is it really dirty?
Me: You have no idea.

They had a nice little conversation about the game, and if he was working on other games (which he is, he wants to do it for a living), and that he needed to clean his room. When they were done, I got the phone back and immediately hung up on Matthew - no, Matthew, Jemaine did not hang up on you, that was me, I hadn't taken a picture with him yet. So, he puts his arm around my shoulder for the picture, and I was all like, "No, you have to make a mean face, be mean, like you don't want to be here." He was a good sport.


As he left, and the crowd dispersed, I called out, "Remember, play whatever you want!" Don't know if he was paying attention or not, oh, well. He was really nice, and I'm still getting over the fact that he knew about and played the first game. And apparently didn't tell Bret about it? For shame...

In conclusion, the guys were a class act. If everyone treated their fans as well as they do, the world would be a nicer place. It wasn't like an assembly line, or a "sign it - who's next", they both took their time and carried on conversations with me and everyone else. We also got lucky that they didn't set up a barrier or anything and we got to just hang out on the sidewalk. Aside from that one lady, the group was small and polite - we kept whispering and tried our best to stay out of people's pictures. And the weather was beautiful, okay, a bit windy, but better than rainy Kent State.

So we all went our separate ways. I can't thank Kelly enough for inviting me along, and everyone was great. This was the first time I had ever met "internet people" in real life before, and it felt like I'd known them forever. I had completely forgotten about the horrible trip to Detroit, and the fact that I hadn't eaten or slept in 24 hours - it was 3:30 AM. As I walked back to my car, I got back on the phone with Matthew and asked him, "How much do you love me right now?"

I snapped some pictures of the theater on my way out, then managed to escape downtown Detroit with no map and no trouble at all. It's that keen sense of direction I have, you know. I got home in a little over an hour, then I stayed up until 8 AM thanks to the energy drink I chugged on the way home. Big mistake.

Here are the pictures of the signed poster:


And the 33 seconds of video I took of the meet-and-greet. I would have filmed a lot more but I think filming other people in the crowd is sort of creepy. I just wanted proof that it actually happened. And from the sound, you can tell that it was VERY windy.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=56398180

Wow, I'm tired just from writing all that! If I forgot anything, well, I'm sure someone will tell me...



There are pictures there but I'm not going to be able copy/paste them over...I'll just let you go over there and check it out. It's on page 4 or 5 of the Detroit thread :)

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:12 am
by mockingbird
SheWolf wrote:He plastered himself to the wall and slid down a good foot so his cheek would be even with her mouth and he looked right at me for a split second while he said to her "and what would be the difference between you pretending to kiss me and actually kissing me?" :purple:

*swoon* What did she say? :lol:

"How do you want me?"

I love him, lol.

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:19 am
by bakergirl30
Wow guys great stories! Since Dallas had no M&G these stories are nice to read! :)

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:30 am
by Bad Atom
kellysouthpaw wrote:I'll share my Bret story just for Nonch :)

So when Bret got to me, I asked if he'd sign my poster. He used my back as a table and started scribbling, then I hear him stop and kind of go, "Hmm" like he was thinking of what to write. So...like an IDIOT I say, "How about something heartfelt" then immediately mentally kick myself in the arse and blurt out "-but not weird!" then mentally kick myself in the arse HARDER. He kind of nervously laughs and goes, "O...okay" and starts scribbling some more. Then I ask if I could get a picture and he says, "Sure! Photo op!" and Michael takes the picture (or maybe it was Laura - it's all such a blur). Later when I look at the poster I see that Bret wrote:

Image


Laura took your picture with Bret because that's when I was on the phone with Matthew.
And hey, I thought "heartfelt - but not weird" was funny. :)

Re: Meet and Greet Analysis

Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:24 am
by eorious
vmh wrote:I felt embarrassed when we tried to get that group shot of us and Arj and Arj was like, "WoaaH! Triple flasher!" :lol:

Aha! So it was you who took that picture! I've been wondering ever since. Did it turn out? If it did could you send it to me?
mockingbird wrote:And, at least he put his arm around you! Lucky, lucky lady! I so desperately wanted to ask him to do that but I was just way too embarrassed. I was so worried about imposing on him, or asking him to do something he didn't really want to do... I dunno, I just cheesed out. I was so flustered I'm lucky I didn't just pass out at his feet. And I was so afraid of saying something stupid I didn't really say anything hardly at all! Ha ha! What a dork I am. I'm sure you're all tired of hearing me whine about how lame I was at the M&G so I'll shut up now.

Oh no, I'm so glad you said that. I was exactly the same way. Exactly! I barely said two sentences to Jemaine, and one was to tell him my name and the other was to ask him to sign my CD. In between my two sentences I suddenly found myself standing next to him for a picture. I don't recall how it all happened, but I do remember that before the picture was even snapped I was already disappointed because I knew it wasn't the kind of picture I'd been hoping for, but I was too embarrassed to say anything. I had been expecting him to ask me what I wanted, and when he didn't I felt like it would be rude to pipe up and tell him. UGH! I'll never forgive myself for that. :bang: It all just happened so fast, and he was obviously in a hurry to get through everyone so I felt bad taking up even as little of his time as I did.

I had been hoping that if we got a M&G that Bret would come out first, so I could work out my extreme nervousness on him before having to talk to Jemaine. But then Bret didn't come out at all, and so Jemaine got the full brunt of my starstruck goofiness. I also was trying to hang back and wait until the end to talk to him hoping I might regain my composure, but about 10 minutes into the M&G he was suddenly making a beeline right for us. And I was like, "Aaaack! too soon!" :shock: I just wish it could have been more relaxed like some of the other M&Gs were, then maybe I would have mustered up the courage to actually chat with him.

Fortunately I met 4everconchordsfan there and by the time the M&G was winding down we had talked each other into one last desperate attempt to get our arms around that man, so we lunged at him just as he was about to go back inside (very politely, mind you, we did ask his permission). It wasn't the hug picture we had been hoping for but it was the next best thing. :D

SheWolf wrote:It would be my privilege to be the wind beneath WTFers wings. With god as my witness no WTFer will ever be be remorseful after a meet and greet again!

:wave: Sign me up!