Taika at the New Zealand Film Festival in London

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Taika at the New Zealand Film Festival in London

Postby Venus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Day 2 of the New Zealand Film Festival- Screening of Tama Tu and Eagle vs Shark + Q&A with Taika hosted by Dave Calhoun, Film Editor at Time Out

As we were sitting in our seats waiting for the screening to begin, Taika seemingly popped out of nowhere from a seat in the front row to briefly introduce Eagle vs Shark. Iain was in attendance again as well so I saw him walking down to take a seat in the front row for the screening.

The NZFF advert and the NZ advert were shown before the films. Tama Tu screened before Eagle vs Shark and again, I would say both films were well received and the audience’s reactions to certain parts of the films were very amusing. For instance, there were loud audible gasps when Jarrod punched the box containing the cake Lily made for him which cracked both me and kipples up. :lol: It was also a great experience for me being able to watch Tama Tu for the first time.

Here’s the video of the Q&A I posted before. It was pretty funny and cringeworthy when that guy was saying that he was a huge Flight of the Conchords fan and then went on to refer to Jemaine as Jerome and the host even repeated him. :doh:

After the Q&A, people were hanging around outside the cinema screening room. Iain spotted me as he was walking across the room and asked whether I enjoyed the film. Once most people had left, kipples’ friend Eric went up to talk to Taika whilst he was signing his ticket. Taika was sitting down talking to Eric whilst signing his ticket on a table and at one moment, looked up and caught sight of me and said, “Oh, hey!” in mid-conversation with another big smile on his face. :heart:

Once he had finished talking to Eric, I asked Taika whether he could sign my Eagle vs Shark DVD and he was like “yeah, sure” and he said he was going to do another amazing design in reference to Aimee’s BOY DVD cover. During the time he was signing my DVD cover, I asked him how writing for the film that he's doing with Jemaine which he mentioned in the Q&A was going and he said it was going well and that they were writing a vampire movie. Then I asked whether it’s based on the short film they did quite a few years ago [What we do in the shadows] and he said yes and that it’s taken them that long to get down to writing it. I also talked about hoping that BOY gets distributed in the UK for others to see even though my friend from Auckland (Great H :hug: ) sent me over a copy. Taika also talked about travelling around a lot so I asked whether he was still as jetlagged as he said he was yesterday but he told me that it had all worn off and that he was leaving London the following day. I also introduced Taika to Chloue (one of the contributors of The World of Taika). I’ll leave it to her to give her account of her encounter. :)

After, we all took a group photo with Taika and I shook his hand thanking him for his time. He also went around to hug all of us before we left. :heart: We all waved goodbye, I wished him a safe journey and that’s about it. Oh, and we decided to walk upstairs and ended up meeting Iain and Taika again as they were coming out of the lift, haha.

So as you can tell, I had an amazing time at the NZFF. This event was announced quite far in advance but Taika wasn't confirmed so I didn't get my hopes up about Taika turning up as I know he's a busy guy. I decided to ring The Barbican a couple of weeks ago to check whether they could confirm his attendance and to my surprise they told me Taika was definitely coming and it all kicked off from there. :supz: I'm so glad I had the opportunity to watch his films on the big screen and meeting Taika twice, who seemed genuinely happy to interact with all of us, was truly the icing on the cake. :)

For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm definitely going to look out for him in Auckland in September. :heart:

Stupid (tbc) made me hesitate and I lost this chance of meeting him. :sosad:

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:26 pm

emira wrote:I'm definitely going to look out for him in Auckland in September.
:puzzled: Are you going to be in this part of the world Emira? Come say hello!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:01 am

Great, great stories and photos, ladies! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:58 am

Great H wrote:
emira wrote:I'm definitely going to look out for him in Auckland in September.
:puzzled: Are you going to be in this part of the world Emira? Come say hello!

With pleasure! :D

Yes. On 1st September I'm landing in Auckland and will spend in New Zealand about 3 months and if I get lucky, maybe more. I've got some rugby to watch and at the moment I'm checking out CouchSurfing, because the hostels are either booked or the prices are too crazy if I want to survive on my savings for a couple months.

Oh, and I've set up my travel blog, if anyone wanted to read where I am. Not much in there yet, as I'm still in Poland for the next two weeks, but it's there anyway: http://www.ifullyexist.wordpress.com

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Hey, guys
Are you OK if I use your group photo on the WOT? The one with your friend, kipples and with Ch.

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Was it this advert played before the screening of BOY?

Venus

Postby Venus » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm fine with you using the group pic, as long as it's alright with kipples, Eric and Chloue. :)

Yes, that's the advert they played at the beginning of each screening. :D
&

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:18 am

What a wonderful experience all around! Great films, meeting good friends, and meeting Taika! (And Iain.) :) 8)

Emira, I'll definitely be following your adventure- how cool! :supz:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:24 pm

That video is wonderful! Wow! One by One is the perfect song for it too. 8) I envy you Emira, 3 months!!!

Thanks for the recap, Venus. You guys! Your tellings are always full of such delicious detail. I want to see the group pic too! :supz: Re your dvd case: They should have let Taika decorate the original film covers...he is so talented, and I hadn't realized that the cloud was a heart. Shaped a bit like the stone Lily finds then kills the gull with. :lol: I need to watch both movies again. :heart: Anyway, wow! So much Taika face time for YOU! :hug: :woohoo: :clap: I can only imagine how it must have felt to be recognized and greeted with a warm smile. :blush:

Happy happy happy for all you guys! :whitey:

Do you think we'll ever get to see this vampire flick? Image :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed reading my recap. :) I didn't notice the heart shaped cloud either before he pointed it out! I haven't seen What We Do In The Shadows but I'm looking forward to eventually seeing what Taika and Jemaine have in store.

Since it's up on the WOT site, I assume the others don't mind the pic being posted.

WTF! sandwich :P
&

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:54 am

Awww, great photo - look at those happy, smiling faces! :D
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 am

I will definitely follow your adventures Elmira.

It is bittersweet for me. 31/2 years ago I made plans (and paid deposits) to visit NZ for the RWC and a lot of sightseeing. It would have been the trip of a lifetime for me. It was to start Aug. 10 through Dec 10. But alas, I took a turn in my career and had to give that up. It makes me sad that I can't see the AB's in action live and in person. But in good time I tell myself, things always work out how they are supposrd to, and no worries, I will be in NZ and OZ and spend a long time really enjoying the spendors the southern hemisphere has to offer.

But, for now, I will live it vicariously through your trip, if you don't mind :wink:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby emira » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks all for your interest! :D I'll try to keep my blog up to date as much as possible.

ItsAllRyche wrote:It is bittersweet for me. 31/2 years ago I made plans (and paid deposits) to visit NZ for the RWC and a lot of sightseeing. It would have been the trip of a lifetime for me. It was to start Aug. 10 through Dec 10. But alas, I took a turn in my career and had to give that up. It makes me sad that I can't see the AB's in action live and in person. But in good time I tell myself, things always work out how they are supposrd to, and no worries, I will be in NZ and OZ and spend a long time really enjoying the spendors the southern hemisphere has to offer.

I'm sorry. :goodman: I hope your job gives you satisfaction and good money to save for your dream trip in the not so distant future. ;) I'm not sure myself if I manage to see the AB live, but surely I'll be in the same coutry as them :D

And to keep this thread sort of Taika themed, this is what he said in one of the interviews,

“I’m coming back [to NZ] for the [Rugby] World Cup in September and I don’t want anything clashing with that.”

So I hope I'll catch him there :wink:

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Venus wrote:Since it's up on the WOT site, I assume the others don't mind the pic being posted.

I was away for the weekend, it's fine with me and I text Eric and it's fine with him.

Return to “Taika Waititi (aka Cohen)”