Welcome to Uke Corner

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Welcome to Uke Corner

Postby helgecko » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:35 pm

biscuit wrote:And when can we expect a uke vid from Miss Helen? :eyelashes:
I don't like to be rude but for your own safety I'd suggest not holding your breath :wink:
I know I know.... I'm lame :(
nonchalant obsession wrote:Oh man, helgecko that was AWESOME!!!!! She is just the best, I love her voice! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! Just look how adorable you both are! :biggrin:
:whitey: :hug:
LauraK wrote::supz: How exciting, hel!! And you're nuts, while she's short and petite, you're tall and have a perfect hourglass figure! You both look gorgeous- and so happy! :)
oh stop :blush: :hug:

LauraK wrote:She sounds amazing- what a great show that must've been....yep, I'm happy for you but also a tiny bit jealous, lol.
Yeah, I know. I realise I'm very very lucky :)
She is wonderful on stage, so natural and sweet and funny.

LauraK wrote:Ok, just watched some of your friend Zooey and she's awesome! I love her uke....what is it? I'd never heard the song Deja Vu Date....liked it a lot!
Actually, her real name is just Zoe, Miss Zooey is her youtube name.
And yeah, amazingly enough that uke and that song are both 100% Zoe originals. No kidding, she actually made that uke herself at a ukulele festival somewhere (Amsterdam perhaps...? I can't remember), and I think that's also where she became friends with Uni. It's solid koa wood and sounds gorgeous. And Deja Vu Date is her latest original song :D
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 am

So, do any of you guys write your own stuff? I know Sparky does :)

If you do, then how do you do it? Do you think of a story and start by writing lyrics? Do you make a melody and then worry about words later? Or do you do a little of both?

I am really enjoying making songs now :D Some are better than others but to me it is fun either way. I usually play chord progressions and hum little melodies when I'm sat with the uke. Sometimes the melodies stick and I make up words. Other times I get an idea I want to create something around. The latter is harder because I have to find a melody to go with the "theme" but also because I often get stuck feeling that I need to tell a story. :P

Listening to other people's lyrics they usually seem so random and yet cool. How do they do that, I wonder :hrm: I could blame the fact that I almost exclusively write in a foreign language, but writing in my native tongue is even worse because everything ends up sounding so trite. :roll:

I didn't mean to whinge just then :lol:

Right now I am working on three things at once, which is kinda cool because when I get stuck with one I'll go to the next :)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:32 am

Haha, I'm not a writer. I'm a horrible writer, in fact. So writing a song is a pretty impossible proposition. Though I respect anyone who can do it :prayer: I especially love your jams, biscuit, they're always gorgeous musically and lyrically. I'm envious of your talents, truly! My brain is just too...science-y...to do anything creative.

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:28 am

Thank you, Kel :hug:

But seriously; I keep thinking if I can do this then it must be pretty easy. I guess that's a typical female trait.

Anyhoop; something really cool happened today. I have two cousins who are musicians and they actually had a hit in Norway a few years back. Now one of the guys works with my brother, writing and recording music. To me they are like pros, you know, even without a record deal. They play all sorts of instruments and have their own studio and stuff. Well, today out of the blue my cousin contacts me on FB to tell me that he loves my song! He said he was really impressed and wants me to come down and make a studio version :D He also said I obviously have a ralent for writing and wants me to have a go at writing lyrics for some of their stuff. I know they are family but still, this sort of means a lot to me. That someone who are a lot more serious about their music than I am wants me to help them out :D

I don't mean to strum my own uke or anything, I just wanted to share :)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 pm

Biscuit!! Congrats!!! :cheer: :whitey:

My gosh we can say we knew her when..... :rock:

I am so proud of you, lady! So what if they're family - they know a good hook when they hear it!

A trip to the studio will be fun and educational for you. They'll probably open your eyes to lots of recording basics plus inside info that you'll enjoy.

When is this happening?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Yeah, Nance, I'll be wanting my own fansite next :lol:

Thanks guys for being happy for me, it makes a good feeling even better :hug:

I'll probably do this sometime during summer:) And I hope to learn loads.

Also I find it a bit funny that I've written poetry before, and lyrics for other songs, yet I get noticed for a story about threatening to stab people with a sharpened spoon :lol:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Yay, biscuit I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to hear all about your experience! :D

biscuit wrote:I don't mean to strum my own uke or anything, I just wanted to share :)

I need to use that phrase in everyday life :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Venus wrote:
biscuit wrote:I don't mean to strum my own uke or anything, I just wanted to share :)

I've been meaning to.... but it sounds a bit dodgy :lol:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 pm

biscuit wrote:
Venus wrote:

I've been meaning to.... but it sounds a bit dodgy :lol:

Haha, it does! :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SecretCheri
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SecretCheri » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Hey all you WTFIUOers, I need some recommendations on some new songs to play. I just finished up with the biggest exam of my life, and I am looking forward to getting back into playing my uke religiously again! Anyone have a new favorite that they wouldn't mind sharing? :pray:

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Congrats on finishing you exam, SC :cheer:

My new favourite is "Poi E" (video in WTFIUO video thread) which is fairly easy chord-wise and the lyrics aren't as difficult as they seem at first. :)

I also like playing Three Little Birds (Bob Marley) http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/b ... ds_crd.htm Good for practicing E and chunking :rock:

My next challenge is learning Short People (Randy Newman, and more recently WIUO) http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/r/r ... le_crd.htm This one has some really hellish chord changes, which I am trying to deal with by practicing barre chords. I'm sure I'll feel really good when I've mastered it :nod:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:31 am

Ooooh, I like those! Pretty......but to change quickly? Nope, not me...not yet. :) I have no doubt you'll master it, though.

biscuit, what's E7sus4? In my book, I can only find E7sus, which is 2nd fret, first, third, and fourth strings. Is that the same?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 am

Laura: Yes, that's the one. And thank you for asking because I now realise I've been playing E sus4 all along :bang: So much for the barre chord approach :P

But you should all bookmark this lovely chord finder : http://www.ukulele.nl/chordfinder.php <- Make sure you set the chord finder to the right tuning. Soprano D-tuning is default for some reason :rolleyes:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Ooo, I'd bookmarked that in the beginning and forgotten about it! It has a play-along feature that perhaps now i can actualy keep up with...:lol:

Thanks!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:46 pm

No worries :D

Btw it turns out the Bm7 glides over into a E7sus4 pretty smoothly so it's not as hard as I first thought it would be. A few days of this and I should be able to play it in a close to normal tempo :rock:

Return to “Uke players corner”