Welcome to Uke Corner

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
kellysouthpaw

Re: Welcome to Uke Corner

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 pm

It looks like he used high g, c-e-a strings on this tenor :? I will have to restring with low g, c-e-a strings to get it to tune correctly to a tenor uke.

Ugh. I just called to the music stores in town and the only uke strings they have are for soprano or baritone...can I use baritone strings on a tenor uke? *goes to do more research*

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Yay!! Need holiday - may try to get afternoon off tomorrow to attend to sick fishy and to play uke in the sun! Ode to Joy really bleak tune! :shock:
It's a psychological analogy

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:43 pm

That sucks, Kel. Good luck on getting right strings :wink:

Must get back to veranda with siggy, wine and uke now 8) Still bright and warm here. I :heart: summer!

Mix it up, Zeb. Try out some other tunes in between your Beethoven :wink:
Sorry to hear about your fish:hug:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Same here - need to sort out mad frizzy hair, and sleep. No fags in house, sadly. Could fancy a smoke....

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:50 pm

Just for the record: I don't really smoke. It's a holiday thing. A stupid holiday thing though... :roll:

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Me neither, usually only when stressed, drunk, bored or on holiday.

But I've not had one for a few months - must have exhausted emergency stocks. :evil:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:06 am

I was pleasantly surprised when I came home today and saw a package from Amazon waiting at my front gate. I love my uke! It's so cute and little. I think I may get new strings for it next week. I've been pretty swamped with summer session school stuff and work but once August hits, I'm thinking beach trips and quality time with Solomon. :heart: :lol:

I can't wait to dwelve into all the great uke sites posted here. Thanks! :D
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:21 am

vmh: Why are you getting new strings? Are the no good? I haven't picked up my Mahalo yet, but am currently struggling with a cheap Morgan and was hoping for the Mahalo to be a bit better :P

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:27 pm

I've just added some online tuner links in the main list of uke sites, including one from Ukulele Hunt, which has more unusual tunings, such as the low G, re-entrant C, baritone, etc.

Is there a specific reason you want the low-G tuning, Kelly?
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:56 pm

biscuit wrote:
ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:Uke infidelity...shocking!

They're kind of banned in the lounge (coolest room in house), so am making most of no boyfriend to rock out :rock:
Me neither - trying to get Ode to Joy ready for the proms..... :drinkers:

I couldn't find the right tutorials vids for people outside of the UK, so I still haven't had a go at 'Ode' :( I did plan to practice in case I actually did win the lotto :halo:

I saw this link on UkeHunt today and immediately thought of you, biscuit. Although you've already got the tabs, this might still be of interest.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Thank you, Indy! :D Those are the ones I couldn't find:)

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:20 pm

Well - because I really enjoy the sound of low g tuning on a tenor uke. I like how it sounds now, but I really enjoy the "full" sound of the low g :)

I've picked up a baritone set of strings as I've been told that the "g" for the baritone is the same "low g" string for the tenor. Now I just hope I don't break anything in the process of re-stringing...

P.S. I don't even know what "re-entrant c" means...

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:21 am

Being uke-less is hard after reading all your posts! I really do want to get one and name it Youk (pronounced uke), after Kevin Youkilis of the Red Sox. (Get it, uke-less, Youkilis :roll: )
I just found out my seventy-plus-year-old cousin plays the uke!!!
I turned her on to WIUO, and she said she was inspired to watch them on YouTube and pick it up again. She got a nice one when she was in Hawaii. It replaced her plastic one! :lol: I'm laughing because I remember having a plastic one of my own ages ago.
Time for a new one, Nance! :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:55 am

biscuit wrote:vmh: Why are you getting new strings? Are the no good? I haven't picked up my Mahalo yet, but am currently struggling with a cheap Morgan and was hoping for the Mahalo to be a bit better :P

I'm not fond of the strings that came on the Mahalo. I'd like to get better ones and a lot of people have recommended Aquila strings. I'm hoping that one of the music stores nearby carries them.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:48 pm

ZebraWarriorPrincess wrote:Me neither - trying to get Ode to Joy ready for the proms..... :drinkers:
Ha. That was the first song I learned on guitar - still one of my faves. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

Return to “Uke players corner”