WTFIUO Videos

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: WTFIUO Videos

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:22 am

:clap: Brava, kipples, brava! :clap:

I long for the day when we can meet in person and I can harmonize to your sweet singing! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 am

:D That was great, kipples. :clap: I'm so glad you keep making videos. I really enjoy them. 8)
Image..Image..Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah, it's good when people post videos! Really good! More people should do it! More people from Iowa should do it! :rock:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I know. :doomed: It's just so embarassing. I've been playing a few songs that I really, really love, but the melodies far surpass my singing abilities. A soloist I am not. :wink: There is one I'm working on that should work, but it involves quite a bit of picking...and I still need a lot of practice in that department.

Biscuit, written any new tunes for the album?
Image..Image..Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh stop selling yourself short, nonchita ;)

And no, I'm starting to bore myself with my gloomy songs. I'm waiting for some up-beat kind of inspiration to strike. :p

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:45 pm

biscuit wrote:Oh stop selling yourself short, nonchita ;)

Trust me, I don't generally bother with humility, false or otherwise. :wink: A lot of the songs I like don't seem to fall comfortably into my singing range. I find myself going up or down an octave at will. :doh: It's not pretty. :lol:

biscuit wrote:And no, I'm starting to bore myself with my gloomy songs. I'm waiting for some up-beat kind of inspiration to strike. :p

Sounds unnatural.
Image..Image..Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:11 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:
biscuit wrote:Oh stop selling yourself short, nonchita ;)

Trust me, I don't generally bother with humility, false or otherwise. :wink: A lot of the songs I like don't seem to fall comfortably into my singing range. I find myself going up or down an octave at will. :doh: It's not pretty. :lol:

biscuit wrote:And no, I'm starting to bore myself with my gloomy songs. I'm waiting for some up-beat kind of inspiration to strike. :p

Sounds unnatural.

a) Transpose!Do you have the Kiwi Ukulele? You can learn how to transpose songs into a key that is comfortable for you to sing in using that book. Or use an onsline transposer;)

b) Was that sarcasm? If yes: ehhehehe.... If no: It isn't!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

biscuit wrote:Transpose!Do you have the Kiwi Ukulele? You can learn how to transpose songs into a key that is comfortable for you to sing in using that book. Or use an online transposer;)

I have no idea what anything in that sentence means. :lol: Do you mean re-tune my ukulele? Cuz I don't want to learn all new chords. :hrmpf: What is "the Kiwi Ukulele"? I have a capo...would that work? I generally need the songs to be lower though. :hrm:

Was that sarcasm? If yes: ehhehehe.... If no: It isn't!

Both! :P Why fight your natural bent?
Image..Image..Image

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Transposing just means you play using different chords. If the song is in the key of let's say C it will often start with C and almost always end with C. If you transpose the song up to the key of D then all chords in the song will have to be transposed up by two half notes (ok I'm on deep water now because I don't know the right words in English) meaning the C becomes a D and a G becomes an A et cetera. Strangely enough transposing the song up can make it easier to sing lower anyway as long as the key suits you :)

If you go to www.chordie.com you can choose to transpose a song up or down and find out what's best for you. I tend to choose the key with the easiest chords :worry:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm

I tend to like the Ukulele Hunt versions of most songs more than Chordie, but I'll give it a try. I've tuned my uke lower before, you just can't play along with anyone. I really like to play along with videos. :)

It would make sense that a bit higher would work as well if not better than lower. It's the in between that makes me sing like a teenage boy at the onset of puberty. :lol:
Image..Image..Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:28 am

Nonch, biscuit's definition is pretty accurate: If your song is in C and it's too high, try it up a few keys, like try the key of F or G. (and use biscuit's link to figure out what the chords in that key would be. Or, use your capo on the first or second fret and play the same chords you were playing. This will make the song higher, but it might just be high enough that you can sing the whole thing an octave lower. I usually try they key of C first to see if I can sing it in the easiest key, but then if it's way too high, I try G. You can try D or Fas well, and just find where the song lays the best in your voice.
Let us know how you do!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:11 am

Nonch, I remember you saying you played Build Me Up Buttercup in the airport during FotC's last tour. I'd love to see you play that.

I was going to say it myself that it was about time some others started showing off their uke skills. What say ye Faith? LauraK? Sparky Cola? I know there will be ones of Venus soon :D :rock:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:42 am

A video. :) :oops: I just started playing this song and I love it. I haven't seen the movie Blue Valentine, but you may have seen this song performed quote charmingly by Ryan Gosling on ukulele. I saw it in the trailer. I'm not strong enough with my left hand to play it more that a few times in a row, so only a couple of takes...it's far from perfect. :worry: My Bb gets pretty weak by the end. :lol:

Image..Image..Image

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm

:D :clap: Well done Nonch!! I thought it was great :rock: I loved it when it the fast bit kicked in. Keep 'em comin :D

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I thought it was lovely!! Your voice and your uke sounded beautiful. :rock: :heart:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Uke players corner”