WTFIUO Videos

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: WTFIUO Videos

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Yay, kipples! Nice one! Love the sunglasses too. :thumb:

Yay, nonch! Great to see another video from you! The fan strum was brilliant. :clap:

I should have some more free time next month to hopefully start practising more again. I'd like to try out some new strums too. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks all for the nice compliments for both the performance and the girls. :wink: I don't know which delighted me more. :lol:

I hope you all try to learn the fan. Wow once you start the hang of it it's rather fun to stick it in parts of other songs. I guess like chunking, it starts to become almost second nature. Picking is killing me though. I've been tinkering around with Screw You by Kate Micucci. So hard. I sort of get the patterns down but when I try to sing along...I sort of lose the proper rhythm.

Who's next? :popcorn:
Image..Image..Image

SecretCheri
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby SecretCheri » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:36 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote::wave: Hi Cheri! :hug: Whatcha playing lately? I would love a video. :D The rest of you WTFIUOers as well. :nod: Are you guys still playing?

Well, I am attempting to branch out and learn some new strums and try some picking as well. :D There are some really good instructional videos out there. This is my first go with the fan strum. :worry: (The strange sound in the background is my dog who is munching loudly on kibble in the hall... sorry)

I can't seem to manage to keep my thumb in play for the fan strum. It always catches and makes an unattractive loud plunk. The video instructors make it look so easy. I'll keep practicing though. :rock:

:hug: <-- excited for that to be in real life again soon!

My go-to songs have been Rocky & Balls "Let's Just Be Friends (The Break-up Song)", "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge soundtrack, "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis, "Just the Way You Look" by Jerome Kern, any and all of Sophie Madeleine's songs that I have chords to, and then whichever old songs catch my eye (provided my fingers are not ready to fall off at this point!)...speaking of which **runs off to play uke**

I loved your fan strum (please teach me!) , and your singing was to die for! You should try it on "You Don't Love Me Anymore," it might work really well :D

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:21 pm

Oh, I need to learn "Come What May" I love that song. Chords? Video? :D

Soon. :hug:
Image..Image..Image

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:55 am

Has anyone ever tried this one? I'm not a fan of her voice but I like the song and to my untrained ear it doesn't sound like it would be very hard to play.

90% evil
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 am

I like it. No idea what the strum should be...have been playing along with it in my own way- and it sounds good. :) (To my ear. ;) )

Thanks!

Here's what I used...(only I changed the E to Em7....cuz I suck at E.)
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bisho ... ts_crd.htm
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:07 pm

I love it! :heart: I enjoyed all the random instruments played throughout the song. SW, have you got a rockenspiel? (or a bass sax?) :lol:

Thanks for the chords, LauraK. I'll give this one a go for sure. :nod: You should make a new video...it's been a while. :stick:

OK, I hate the E chord as well so I had a look and Uke Hunt (snicker) has these chords. http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/uploa ... bishop.pdf Much easier and sounds fine. The standard dduud strum works beautifully, though whoever is playing in the song changes it up quite a bit. I love to change it up. There is even some picking. :D

Thanks, girls.
Image..Image..Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:43 am

Thank nonch! I'll have to practice the E7 just a bit, but it and the G7 def sound perfect for the song! :) It's so mellow....I really like it a lot.

Thanks again, Lori.

Video?? Ugh...I dunno....haven't played loads of late plus I look like crap. Maybe soon...possibly....perhaps.....in the future.... :P
ImageImage

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:28 am

Oh wow! That song is so peaceful it should be used to break up fights and put baby's to sleep. That's one for the folder. Thanks SW.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Glad everyone likes it as much as I do. I made myself a Bishop Allen CD (after first hearing them on the Target Christmas CD - they are awesome) and when that song comes on in the car I usually play it and sing along about 5 times before I can advance to the next track.
90% evil
ImageImage

kipples

Postby kipples » Sat May 07, 2011 1:37 pm

For those not familiar with it, this is the end credits song from the game Portal, and is sung from the point of view of the robot that you dismember at the end.
And you thought the last one I did was dark.... :worry:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun May 08, 2011 2:20 am

Excellent! And not too dark, imo. I like that he's apparently taunting you at the end, lol! Your voice sounded lovely- just perfect- and the playing was fab! I really liked that melody. :) There are a couple of tricky-looking chords in there...what are they?

Well done, you! :rock:
ImageImage

kipples

Postby kipples » Sun May 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Thanks Laura. These are the Chords I used, but I play D6 in place of Bm, and instead of BbM7 I played F.

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon May 09, 2011 11:33 pm

:supz: Wonderful, kipples! Keep the dark, yet amazingly perky songs a comin'!!! I love it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat May 21, 2011 2:19 am

Today I worked so hard and so long and with such intensity that all I could do as I drove home in the pouring rain at rush hour was whimper. I finally got home and grabbed my new uke. After only a few minutes I felt 100% better. I even turned on my camera so I could show you the song I'm working on, and to finally give you all a look at my new ukulele.

The song needs work, but I've come so far from when I started on it. (you have no idea. lol) When I downloaded the tabs for it I just laughed. It was like trying to read a foreign language.

My uke sounds a bit out of tune as new ukuleles do after every song. :? Oh well. I really want to get some Aquila's for it, but I don't know how to string them.

Image..Image..Image

Return to “Uke players corner”