UAS Support Group

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Please note this forum has now been closed and posts can no longer be made to it.
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: UAS Support Group

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Sparky, thanks for posting the photo of "Bret the uke". He resembles this uke of Nigel's. Nigel even has a long red ribbon or something attached to it. Where did you put the black material on your ukulele?

Man, I haven't "pimped my uke". I guess Christmas is coming up, I could get him a gift. I know what he really wants is a certain uke player's signature tattooed right on his ass. (strangely enough, van and I have very similar Christmas lists. :worry: )
Image..Image..Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:11 pm

Nonch, you kill me :roll2:

I have the same wish for my uke, but not for myself. I think my ass looks just fine without autographs, thank you :halo:

The only thing is, when (and it is a when and not an if, right :wink: ) I get McKenzie autographed I will have to stop playing him and just hang him on my wall.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:22 pm

I was only kidding about the tattoo. I don't think I'm brave enough, and when I give blood they always ask if I've gotten a tattoo in the last year, so maybe it throws you out as a donor for a bit. Bret could just use a marker to sign my ass, or he could trace his name with his finger dipped in honey or something. :dunno:

:whitey:

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, ukes. (so far) I am a one uke woman. I would have to find a way to protect the signature on Van so that I could still play him. There must be some super lacquer out there that would do the trick. :D
Image..Image..Image

SparkyCola
Lost but happy at sea

Postby SparkyCola » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:35 pm

^ A one uke woman? I'm aiming to own a mountain of ukes! I can have them tuned differently (because I'm lazy and can never be bothered to re-tune Bret). I totally want a kiwi uke (like the watermelon one but..a kiwi :D)

I put the black ribbon bit round the head part, in between the tuning pegs. :D

Sparky

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:51 pm

Well, I just may get Van a ribbon for Christmas. Thanks for the idea, Sparky!

It is going to be challenging for me to discuss/read about your uke, when his name alone sends my mind to the gutter. (biscuit might argue that my mind is always in the gutter, but I do have lucid, wholesome thoughts from time to time)

Hmmm I like this idea of differently tuned ukes. :hrm: Hubby would probably buy that. I kinda want a tiny uke. Have you seen a Kiwi uke? I played a teardrop at our uke store and the sound was divine.
Image..Image..Image

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:22 pm

That's a handsome uke you've got there, Sparky. Hmm, Christmas and my birthday are coming up so I guess I could ask for a new uke as a gift. ;) I don't know whether I should get another soprano or a concert. :hrm: Having said that, I am still very attached to my uke Leilani so I'm not sure when I'll actually end up buying another one.

The Kiwi uke looks so good, doesn't it? I've been tempted to get that uke too :lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Oh yeah, the kiwi! I've been wanting that since forever :drool:

It's a shame it's only sopranos that come in the funky designs. Once you go up a size they are all very serious looking, beautiful but serious.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 am

Bret is a very lovely uke, Sparky! And I would love for my one uke to be autographed by the whole WIUO and my other uke to be signed by FOTC (yis there'd be some slight overlap there, I'm aware :D) and then I'd retire them both and buy two new ukes, as I am like biscuit and would want to just put them on display

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Yis if I do manage to get my uke signed, I probably wouldn't play it anymore.

Just saw this post about Souvenir and Toy ukuleles posted on Twitter. If only ukes with interesting designs played well ;)

http://ukuleleguy.com/ukulele-deals/sou ... -smurf/578
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

biscuit

Postby biscuit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:40 pm

I've narrowed my quest for the next uke down to these two:

The Stagg solid mahogany concert
stagg solid mahogany concert.jpg

or

The Kala solid mahogany concert
kala solid mahogany concert.jpg

From what I gather they are both great mid-range concerts, and I also hear good things about solid mahogany ukes. Now I only have to decide and then figure out how to get one. I'll need to order online, so I probably should head over to UU and ask the experts:)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:44 am

Get the Kala, so Youk will have a cousin!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:07 am

I've talked my sister into getting me a uke for Christmas and I've been thinking about getting tenor. I know a couple of you (Kelly and Laura I think) have tenors. What brand do you guys have and how pricey are they? I'm not sure how much she is willing to spend.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:29 am

I got a Makala that came with a digital tuner on eBay for about $75 before shipping. (That was a deal, cuz the tuner itself goes for over $20!)

Let me go see.....yep! Here it is- same deal, same seller. http://cgi.ebay.com/Makala-MK-T-Tenor-U ... 19b8297419

I actually think mine was a whole dollar cheaper, lol! I love the tuner and believe it or not- I really liked those black strings. I did order some Aquilas and restrung BigDaddy after a few weeks. I love my uke!
But I admit I really want to give a soprano a try again now that I know I can actually play! :)

Here's who Kelly bought from....it comes strung with Aquilas and he oils and waxes it and does some other pampering. http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-TENOR-UKULEL ... 3a5556f45b
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:46 am

Yes, biscuit, Kelly and I both had very good experiences with musicguymic on EBay. Both of our ukes came from him, and were reasonably priced, restrung with Aquilas, rubbed with oil, and just arrived looking like a million bucks. :thumb: I highly recommend him if you're looking for another uke. :nod:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Amanda » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:13 am

Mine is a Makala Tenor... and it is GORGEOUS!! :D
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

Return to “Uke players corner”