FOTC Emmy Info

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
k_obrien
Keeping it funky

FOTC Emmy Info

Postby k_obrien » Sat May 17, 2008 12:24 am

I didn't know where else to post this, but I figure it'll be easier to keep track of in its own thread. These are HBO's official Emmy submissions for FOTC, via The Envelope.

ALL EMMY SUBMISSIONS CAN BE CHANGED BY MAY 31, 2008

Outstanding Comedy Series

(PRODUCERS NOT YET SPECIFIED)
Episode(s) submitted: Mugged, Yoko, and Sally Returns

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

JEMAINE CLEMENT
Episode(s) submitted: Sally Returns

BRET MCKENZIE
Episode(s) submitted: Girlfriends

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series

RHYS DARBY
Episode(s) submitted: The Third Conchord

NOT YET ENTERED: Arj Barker

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series

KRISTEN SCHAAL
Episode(s) submitted: New Fans

Outstanding Guest Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series

WILL FORTE
Episode(s) submitted: The Actor

DEMETRI MARTIN
Episode(s) submitted: The Third Conchord

NOT YET ENTERED
GUEST ACTOR: Aziz Ansari, Todd Barry, John Hodgeman, Eugene Mirman, Frank Wood
GUEST ACTRESS: Rachel Blanchard, Eliza Coupe, Sutton Foster, June Raphael

----

No official submissions have been made for directing, writing, editing, music, etc.

If this is inappropriate, let me know and I'll delete it!
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun May 18, 2008 5:19 am

Thanks, K. I'll have to watch these episodes again with their submissions in mind.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Mon May 19, 2008 2:31 pm

And now, The Emmy....

That's great. Good on yas fellas!

Whambi
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Whambi » Mon May 19, 2008 7:09 pm

How great is this! I hope they win in multiple categories. Wow they are running against each other in lead actor, too hard to choose with both being such great episodes. Thanks for posting the info k_obrien!

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Mon May 19, 2008 10:04 pm

I don't know... I think Jemaine's pick is fairly weak. He would be better off with Bowie or Mugged as his submission.

Girlfriends is a strong tape for Bret, but he'd have a better shot with Bret Gives Up the Dream or The Third Conchord.

I'm a little surprised that Rhys Darby chose to submit The Third Conchord, because that episode was all about tension within the band, not Murray. His best episode, far and away, was What Goes on Tour.

Schaal picked her best tape. The scene with her breaking into the bathroom while Bret is in there could very well earn her a nomination, haha. She's hysterical that episode. So great tape by Schaal.

As for series picks... Mugged is a good choice, as is Yoko, but I would replace Sally Returns with Drive By.

It's tough, because they've got 12 hysterical episodes to pick from. It's refreshing to have a reliably and consistently funny show on the air.
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 am

I agree with everything you said, k. I was very surprised with Rhys' choice. :? I'd even rather he submit "The Actor" - better range of acting for him, what with his record company phone call, "the code" scene, after "Frodo" at the car, etc. "What Goes On Tour" was also a triumph for him.

Schaal is definitely hysterical drooling over Bret in the bathroom. Good choice.

As far as the guys' choices, I again think you're right:
"Mugged" or even "Sally" for Jemaine, "Bret Gives Up the Dream" for Bret, or "The Third Conchord". What made me fall for the guys in the first place was Bret's general cuteness and Jemaine's poor soul look (and his eyebrows :cry: and lips, of course ) at Dave's party, so I have a soft spot for "Sally".

Can't we get hold of Rhys and ask him to rethink his submission?

I must say your last line sums it up exactly - they've got 12 hysterical episodes to pick from, which makes it very hard indeed!
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 am

I was just thinking of Arj. Is "Drive by" the episode with Dave teaching the guys how to flip the bird? I can't get through that scene without belly-laughing :lol: His teaching technique is hysterical.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Tue May 20, 2008 4:51 am

Bret's angry dancing in The Third Conchord is brilliant, but I can't help but feel like "She's So Hot BOOM!" from Bret Gives Up the Dream is Bret's highest moment. I also think Yoko could be a GREAT pick for Bret, because of his infatuation with Coco and then him throwing the sandwich in Jemaine's face followed by him quitting the band. "See you, dickheads!"

Bowie is one of the strongest episodes of the series and it is DEFINITELY Jemaine's strongest episode. 1) he gets to dress up as Bowie numerous times, 2) uhhh... "Bret, You've Got it Going On" anyone? It seems like a no-brainer for me.

My picks for Rhys were The Actor or What Goes on Tour. What Goes on Tour is my pick for him because of how well he plays frustration and then, ultimately, his breakdown which results in him quitting as the band's manager. And then Jemaine -- "You can't quit the band, Bret usually quits the band!"

I agree that Arj should submit Drive By -- IF HBO officially submits him for contention. He's not been entered yet, so that's up in the air. I think, if he gets the chance, he should submit Drive By or New Fans.

Kristen picked a great episode. I think she stands a good shot with New Fans.

All picks can be changed by May 31.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 am

Jules asked a question on the HBO thread that I was wondering about as well: Who decides who gets submitted for nominations? The producers, the actors, or a collaberation?

Have Todd and Arj been submitted? It's too bad if they haven't.
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Wed May 28, 2008 1:53 pm

The producers pick for series nominations, actors pick for themselves, same with writers, etc. I believe the station ultimately decides who gets submitted -- like guest performers and directors -- and where -- lead, supporting, etc for acting. All submissions have to go to the network, who then sends out official screeners with the chosen episodes to Emmy voters.

As far as I know, neither Todd nor Arj have been submitted -- though I really hope they are. The deadline is Saturday.

claire

Postby claire » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm

does anyone know when the emmy nominations are announced?

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Thanks for the info, K. I really hope Todd and Arj get submitted.

Wouldn't it be great if the Emmys took a cue from baseball's All-Star game, and let us help to pick the nominees? Not the whole line-up, but maybe a certain category? Get a spark of interest back for tv!
Although the down side would be that the public would probably pick some goofy show, or character, or...... never mind :oops:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Thu May 29, 2008 5:32 am

claire -- the nominations are announced July 17.

And the idea of the public picking is... eh. I don't know, I imagine if the public gets a vote, shows like Two and a Half Men and Grey's Anatomy will win everything while smaller shows -- like FOTC, or Arrested Development in the past -- will be looked over completely.

claire

Postby claire » Thu May 29, 2008 5:03 pm

yay thanks, fingers crossed for them! :)

H....

Postby H.... » Thu May 29, 2008 6:01 pm

I really hope that they win! It would be awful if something rubbish won again...
It might mean that they get repeated over here in Britain.
Last edited by H.... on Fri May 30, 2008 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Throw us your potatoes!

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”