Unpopular opinions?

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Cuse
Registered Rhymnecologist

Re: Unpopular opinions?

Postby Cuse » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Haha. I wanted to yell for that, too. That would be so funny, and certainly the first and last time we'd ever see it live.

:lol:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Bad Atom wrote:We need to yell "Petrov" together. I love that song! :)

Another possibly unpopular opinion - I still think that One Night Stand is just about the most perfect thing they've ever done. The songs in the HBO show, while great, just aren't the same. And the live performances I've seen haven't compared. I really think it's the crowd - they're into it, but they're not screaming crazies, and the guys clearly use it to their advantage.

Ok, let's do it! IF they ask of course :lol: We don't want to be "that guy/girl".

I don't know, it's just so catchy and disgusting at the same time :D

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Cuse wrote:I think Angels sounds great live, and makes a very good finale song.

It did sound great and make a great finale because they get so into it. It's just not up there in my top 3.

I was never a David Bowie fan either, so maybe that's why that one doesn't rate too well on my log sheet. Same with LOTR--although I did watch most of the second and third ones last weekend.....Saw li'l Bret-y! :yawinkle:

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:47 am

kellysouthpaw wrote:
LauraK wrote:Agreed. I've been trying, but I prefer the version from the show. I've mainly enjoyed them getting up and slow-dancing around touching the people in the front rows. *Hoping they do this on Friday*

I don't care for the version of Bowie on the CD....they go through the speaking-ish bits way too fast. I think the visuals from the show are what "made" this one fun.

I don't really like Petrov, Yelenya, and me.

LOVE Petrov, Yelyena and Me. If they asks for requests for our show, I'm yelling it 8)

Not a HUGE Bowie fan, just because I've never been a fan of David Bowie so all the references are lost on me - I'm a bit young to remember his stuff :lol:

The song I usually skip is Frodo, Don't Wear The Ring (I'm not a LOTR fan either so again, the references are lost on me :lol:)

The exact same thing applies to me too! The actual songs aren't bad, it's just the references which are kinda lost on me since I'm not into Bowie or LOTR.

My fave songs at the moment include Hotties, Bus Driver's Song, Carol Brown and Most Beautiful Girl (still haven't played it out yet ;)). And I don't mind the live version of Sugalumps.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:28 pm

If they ask for requests, I'm yelling out "Rock Beat."
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:57 pm

vmh wrote:If they ask for requests, I'm yelling out "Rock Beat."

OMG yes! I got an mp3 of it a couple of days ago and I love it! I didn't take much notice when I first heard it on the first ep of the second season but it's great, way too short though ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Postby The Talking Stove » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:10 pm

I wasn't keen on "Love is a weapon of choice" from Season 2...funny video but the lyrics aren't up to the usual witty Conchords-ian standards...

And I think they should have used Demetri more in Season 1, but that's just because I love Demetri.

Those are the only complaints I can think of :)
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

andy
Lost but happy at sea

Postby andy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:04 am

here is a truly unpopular opinion: does anyone thinks that the heckling actually ADDS to the show? :sofa: not to the point where it disrupts their show of course, but once in a while?

the reason im asking this is because bret and jemaine are so quick on their feet that they always have a hilarious response to the hecklers. for example, they suggested some guy should jump from the balcony and bring them soap since he said NZers are unhygienic, or jemaine said that canadians have a reputation of being polite that we are not up holding, or after seeing all the jellybeans and toothbrushes that were thrown on stage, bret asked the audience if there are more things that they would like to throw on stage that they might have done a song about, and bret starts singing "a brand new car for bret"

i really enjoyed seeing them performing their songs live, but i think that it is their interactions with the crowd that truly make every performance unique! it is always fun to hear the kind of comeback that they have for the hecklers. (can i come out from behind the couch now?)
They try to get me doing time
For committing the perfect rhyme
My face is on rhyme watch and all that crap
They’re accusing ME of attempted rap
Help! Help! The Rhymenoceros, he's rapping me
F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Folk music!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 am

andy wrote:or after seeing all the jellybeans and toothbrushes that were thrown on stage, bret asked the audience if there are more things that they would like to throw on stage that they might have done a song about, and bret starts singing "a brand new car for bret"

I'm going to carry Hot Wheels in my purse just in case he repeats this again at the LA show.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

andy
Lost but happy at sea

Postby andy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:11 am

lol just make sure you dont hit him with it :)
They try to get me doing time
For committing the perfect rhyme
My face is on rhyme watch and all that crap
They’re accusing ME of attempted rap
Help! Help! The Rhymenoceros, he's rapping me
F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-F-Folk music!

Bad Atom
The "Play Whatever You Want!" Guy

Postby Bad Atom » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:03 am

Speaking from personal experience :D the heckling does add to the show, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. The guys are very quick and make great comedy out of it.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:04 am

Having not seen these gigs its hard to get a feel , but the clips and what I've read made me think no, it hasn't. Tbh, they shouldn't *have* to have made it part of their act. Its not what they are there for. It irked them a great deal when it started happening and they have I think become more sarcastic/dry/sharp in their banter as the tour has gone on I feel. It wasn't something they wanted to happen. I guess also larger venues play their part. And beer.

Again for me it brings home that most people simply don't know their live act for what it was and are just wanting a Greatest Hits tour and what they know from TV. I wish that the show was totally fresh, so fans didn't know anything of what was to come and would just sit back and enjoy without interruption and really see what the guys can do with their banter when left to it.

Of course I don't expect fans on this tour to want to hear an all new comedy show. They want to hear what they know which for me is an odd thing. I've heard all those songs and would love to hear new stuff instead. For me its what a comedy tour is about. I've said it before, but I'd not pay to see Eddie Izzard or Dylan Moran perform the same stuff as the last tour or from previous years. I'd expect new material.

The TV show has changed the guys live act, at least in the US/Canada beyond all recognition. I think generally newer fans perceive them very differently if they discovered them via their TV show and not via their live stuff (or live CD etc) prior to that. Its not wrong, just different.

For me, as much as I have grown to like the TV show, especially the second season, I still prefer their live stuff and them in that setting. Also the BBC radio show remains brilliant, mostly improvised which appeals to me, but I don't listen to it too often anymore. I like to forget it for 6 months then come back to it so its fresh. Same for most of their songs now. I hardly ever listen to them.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:38 am

I can see both sides. Being pretty new to the Conchords, I'm not really sick of anything yet....but I can see it might happen, the burnout if there's no new material for future tours.

On the one hand, they obviously didn't plan to play a lot of new stuff, or it'd be on the setlist. Stana was new to us but from what I've read, they wrote it a while ago. They sure have it down- that is a FAST song and they do it well!

I think that some of the gentle "heckling" that they get a riff going off of is great- it makes the shows differ from one another. The obnoxious stuff, like saying they have greasy hair or yelling "Australia!" or "Freebird" is just that- obnoxious and kind of embarrassing. imo.

On the other hand, I don't think they'll do another tour and do only the songs that we know now. Like you said, they're very well known and that takes a bit of the surprised-exclamation out of it. I hope that if they do tour the UK, Australia, and/or NZ, they'll add in many new songs. Maybe that's part of the reason they changed up Foux De FaFa and Sugalumps for this tour....trying to make it a bit different. (I have to say Bravo! for their antics during Sugalumps, though!) :lol:

For me right now- their stuff is all new and I love it. I will admit I've started to skip over Business Time and Bowie when I play the CD. :o But I wouldn't want to see them again if it were a carbon copy of what I just had the pleasure of seeing.

Do you think they're happy doing this tour? Or is it something where their manager said "Hey! There's money to be made! You're hot, so let's do this huge US tour and take care of business!? Maybe they figured, "let's do it...the fans love the songs and when it's done we'll have a break and get into new-song-writing-mode..." Or movie-making mode.....or tv-show-writing mode..... :P
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:17 am

LauraK wrote:Do you think they're happy doing this tour? Or is it something where their manager said "Hey! There's money to be made! You're hot, so let's do this huge US tour and take care of business!? Maybe they figured, "let's do it...the fans love the songs and when it's done we'll have a break and get into new-song-writing-mode..." Or movie-making mode.....or tv-show-writing mode..... :P

I don't think they are unhappy. They said ages back about doing a bigger tour (on campus sites etc) so this is it. I think they knew it was inevitable :lol: I don't see it as being about the money for them. They are just not those type of people. Of course, its a bonus but its not money driven, at least in my eyes. Also its a good swan song for them to take a Conchords break and go do different things for a while. Or longer. At least in the US.

I like to think if there is any more from the Conchords (not including a 3rd season here as I am in the group that feels the two were great and ended perfectly) that its all new material on a tour and they can get back to their live roots rather than TV series being the springboard for the songs. They can't keep playing old songs forever. I'd think they would (maybe are already with some of them) tire of performing them. They did 3 years with a new show each year so can do it. I hope if they continue with the Conchords they are able to do a new set for any new tour. But thats just me.

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Yep, that's what I thought. If anything, I could see their mgmt wanting them to go for the money but them just wanting to do their thing, their way. I hope they've been having a good time. I hope they get the appreciation that the majority of fans have for them.

Boy, I was sure the tv show was over and done. The way it ended was perfection. But the comments they made about a poss season 3 made me go :o

Maybe they just don't want to come right out and say they're not doing it until the tour's over so they don't have a lots of angry fans heckling them about it. :)

I'd bet they've got plenty of new songs written or at least in the making.....I just hope we don't have to wait terribly long to find out what's next for them creatively.

I hope if they continue with the Conchords they are able to do a new set for any new tour.

Agreed. :) But, they'll have to throw in a couple faves...... If Led Zeppelin happened to reform (Ha!) and do a new album and tour, I'd still want to hear Stairway and Black Dog in their set. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”