How to speak New Zillund

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Re: How to speak New Zillund

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:00 am

Corrine wrote:Isn't it wild just looking at this page of messages that it represents English speakers from a minimum of four different countries from around the world? Sometimes, I am just so in awe of the internet, and what it can do. Here's a handful of people that you are having an in depth conversation with on a very specific topic, and look, they're from every corner of the globe. It's wild, but maybe that's because I remember having these types of conversations with friends before the internet even existed.

I absolutely agree with you. It's amazing!

dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre

Postby dandy lyons » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:
LauraK wrote:This is all very interesting and enlightening as I sure never knew any of this before. :)

I am a trivia nerd. You want useless information? I'm your girl. I also RULE at Trivial Pursuit and can pants an entire aeroplane full of people in that seat-back screen general knowledge quiz.

And yet, I can never remember what I need to buy at the store when I forget my shopping list at home. ISSUES: I HAZ DEM.

You've just earned 100 more "Cool Points" Turnip! I too am a Trivia nerd (even used to compete in tournaments!) There's a lot of useless crap taking up room in my brain. We may have to have a Throw Down! :lol:

Fact: For those who don't know, Trivial Pursuit was invented in Canada... prolly one of the reasons why Turnip and I are as nerdy as we are. :yawinkle:
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

ravenhpltc24
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:12 am

mockingbird wrote:
Val2150 wrote:I know Aussies and NZers are notorious r-droppers, but the funniest is when he says "ear", it just sounds like "eee", so we were all like "uh, what?" :lol:

Bostonians are notorious for dropping their Rs, too, and sometimes they just tack them onto words that don't even have an R in them, like soda ("soder"). I imagine there are all these homeless Rs floating around in Massachusetts and they need to go somewhere, so they just sneak into whatever word they can. :lol: Anyway, my friend's mother used to know a priest named Father Souda (pronounced by normal people as "Sooda"). We used to crack up internally whenever she would talk about him, because she called him "Fatha Souder".

Haha! I know exactly what you mean about the homeless Rs. In many parts of New Hampshire where I live, people have what I call the anti-Bostonian accent, which consists of adding Rs to the end of words that should end in "a." "Era" becomes "errer," "encyclopedia" becomes "encyclopedier"... (can you tell that the school librarian speaks this way? haha). I had quite the miscommunication once involving "era", because to me it sounds like "error." I guess all the Rs people ignore down in Boston float north and tack themselves onto our bananers (bananas) and Honders (Hondas).
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun May 03, 2009 12:23 pm

It's interesting for me to read about all the different dialects that I have never noticed before. Not so strange though considering that my first language is not English and that most of the American I hear come from the telly. I do adore dialects and I have become pretty good at telling the English ones apart but the ones from the US are a lot harder. I also used to not be able to tell the difference between Kiwis and Aussies :worry: It's a lot easier now although I admit I sometimes need to squint my ears a bit :lol: It did help when an Aussie friend of mine pointed out the whole six (sex)/ sex (6) -thing, making fun at another Kiwi friend of ours for booking a table for sex in a restaurant :lol:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Val2150 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:12 am

Thanks for those accent links Turnip - I'm going to do some more investigating on that when I have more time. I am a TOTAL language nerd - Spanish was one of my majors in school and I really, really want to learn another language if I have time - and I LOVE trying to pick out where people are from based on their accents. I think NZ and Aussie accents are SO much fun to listen to. It's funny, but since I moved away from NY - land of the nasal accent - and having heard Midwesterners for years now, I find the accent of my hometown unbelievably grating. :lol: There was a lady on the news here this morning with the most horrifyingly nasal accent I've heard in a long time - she must be from Buffalo too. :lol:
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon May 04, 2009 4:32 am

ravenhpltc24 wrote:I guess all the Rs people ignore down in Boston float north and tack themselves onto our bananers (bananas) and Honders (Hondas).

Poor little Rs. It's kind of you folks in NH to take them in. :)

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Mon May 04, 2009 4:39 am

Val2150 wrote:NY - land of the nasal accent

I dunno Val, France might have NY beat. NOBODY does nasal like the French.

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Mon May 04, 2009 5:05 am

ravenhpltc24 wrote:
Haha! I know exactly what you mean about the homeless Rs. In many parts of New Hampshire where I live, people have what I call the anti-Bostonian accent, which consists of adding Rs to the end of words that should end in "a." "Era" becomes "errer," "encyclopedia" becomes "encyclopedier"... (can you tell that the school librarian speaks this way? haha). I had quite the miscommunication once involving "era", because to me it sounds like "error." I guess all the Rs people ignore down in Boston float north and tack themselves onto our bananers (bananas) and Honders (Hondas).

New England R's are very weird. If it ends in R drop it so it sounds like a (like the town Worcester is pronounced Woosta, Dorchester is pronounced Dorchesta.) However, if it ends in a - add an R. I know my father says things like "soder" instead of "soda". He grew up in Vermont. Hey Raven, guess what, I'm here in NH too! Live Free or Die! :D

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Tue May 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Is it terribly infantile of me to be cracking up reading about your poor little Rs? :lol: It just sounds like you all talking about bums :worry:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue May 05, 2009 2:34 pm

biscuit wrote:Is it terribly infantile of me to be cracking up reading about your poor little Rs? :lol: It just sounds like you all talking about bums :worry:

Ha ha ha ha! That would be an awesome tourist slogan for New Hampshire. "Get Your Rs Up to New Hampshire!" They should make a poster out of it. :lol:

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue May 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Something like this?

I think it goes without saying that New Hampshire has the best state motto.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Tue May 05, 2009 5:47 pm

vmh wrote:I think it goes without saying that New Hampshire has the best state motto.
I am only familiar with the motto via a Sopranos episode of the same name (which coincidentally I watched a bit of being filmed in a town in NJ that was meant to look like RI).
90% evil
ImageImage

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue May 05, 2009 6:03 pm

SheWolf wrote:
vmh wrote:I think it goes without saying that New Hampshire has the best state motto.
I am only familiar with the motto via a Sopranos episode of the same name (which coincidentally I watched a bit of being filmed in a town in NJ that was meant to look like RI).

Heheh! I became familiar with it after viewing a photo of someone with a Live Free Or Die tattoo. Californians have to settle with: Eureka (I have found it).
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Tue May 05, 2009 11:42 pm

Actually, we kind of joke about the motto here. Like, "Do we really have to die?", can't we just "live free." NH is also a little backward with all their "live free" stuff. For example, they still don't have a helmut law here for motorcycles, and a lot of people actually drive their motorcycles without helmuts, we refer to that as "Live Free AND Die".

ravenhpltc24
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ravenhpltc24 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:04 am

Corrine wrote:Actually, we kind of joke about the motto here. Like, "Do we really have to die?", can't we just "live free." NH is also a little backward with all their "live free" stuff. For example, they still don't have a helmut law here for motorcycles, and a lot of people actually drive their motorcycles without helmuts, we refer to that as "Live Free AND Die".

Haha, very true! The seatbelt laws are very lax here as well. I'm most proud of our motto for getting into the title of a Bruce Willis movie (Live Free or Die Hard). :D
He's gonna wake up in a smoothie.

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”