Makoura

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Makoura

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:03 pm

No probs Ozpot

prettyrobyngirl wrote:More you tube loveliness...

Jenny (my all time favourite!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1CsujWUt48

And their entrance on stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39e4iadCzU

Thanks for these. I just love the way they add new lyrics into their songs during live performances e.g. in Jenny "left right left right walk walk walk" :lol:

And Bret when he said "Good to see that you've all brought your phones" haha! I think Jemaine once described videos and photos taken during performances as 'stealing his soul', in a jokey way of course. If (when) I see them live, I won't be able to resist taking a few photos and maybe a couple of vids just for memories :D

Another new video at Masterton

Mutha'uckas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y5JgOiSdnY

:lol:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Found another video!

A bit of banter and Carol Brown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqMHJASRb-4

I love this song so much "Beth, did you need to fake your death? Come on"

:lol:

Intro to 'Robots':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9q0feZFJOc

All these vids just keep on coming, we'll probably have the whole performance soon at this rate ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Austin
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Austin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:47 pm

I wish I was that roadie!

These vids are just making me more anxious for the N. American tour! GAH! :doh:
They call it a fly because it takes you up to Heaven

I lurk left.... a lot.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:11 am

Nice write up from someone who went to the gig. Methinks the shouting out song requests will be somewhat irksome to the guys on tour :( :roll: I must admit I do find that a weird thing to do. Yell out a request. I'd never yell out to Eddit Izzard when he is doing his live set and ask him to tell the joke about the orange. Or one of his God reels from a previous tour. I'd give the Conchords the same courtesy. Even musical comedy has a set list and a script of sorts to follow. Anyways, the write up :)

There aren't many things that could make me skip a night of training with WIT on Tuesdays, but the chance to see Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie perform as "Flight of the Conchords" sure is one of them.

A friend I work with, Andrew, lives in Greytown, which is over the Rimutaka Hills and in the Wairarapa Valley. Jemaine grew up in the Wairarapa, in a town called Masterton which is just a little further north of Greytown. This bit of backstory is important as the Conchords had been taking a few weeks off here in New Zealand before embarking on their two-month tour of North America.

During their visit, it came to light that Jemaine's childhood school in Masterton, one Makoura College, was having some dire funding difficulties. Rumours persisted that it might even be forced to close unless they had a quick infusion of cash, and upon hearing this the Conchords offered up their services free for a charity concert. Of course, Makoura College took them up on their generous offer, and as a result a lucky few of us got to see them live.

Lucky in that, as far as I know, Bret and Jemaine hadn't scheduled to otherwise perform while they were here in New Zealand for these few weeks. And further fortunate in that tickets for this gig would first go on sale to residents of the Wairarapa Valley - which is where Andrew lives. My stalwart friend stood in line for a couple of hours. He noticed with increasing alarm that up to 10 tickets could be bought by one person. The closer he got to the head of the line, the smaller and smaller the roll of tickets for sale became. He worried they'd sell out just as he got to the front, as some people had been camping out from the night before, waiting for the tickets to go on sale.

But of course he came through, and in only a short while, all of the available tickets had been sold in Masterton, never giving anyone a chance outside the Wairarapa to buy a ticket. There was even an American from Florida who was desperate to purchase a ticket to see this show! Either he can't make the dates they are playing in Florida or he's almost as obsessed with the Conchords as Mel is.

The show was really great, it was everything I could have hoped it would be. Jemaine and Bret were just as they seem on television: witty, low-key and quite talented. A cellist friend of theirs named Nigel joined them on the stage for most of their songs, and the folk comedy duo (trio?) had a great rapport with the audience throughout the night.

Bret was particularly appreciative of a guy down towards the front who had impeccable timing with the things he shouted out. At one point, Bret was thinking aloud about how he wasn't sure if they could pull off their next tune, as they had yet to play it live. This guy then shouted out the stock Rob Schneider quote, "You can do it!" and got a big laugh. He also won over Bret, who for the second time complimented him on his timing (earlier he had shouted out a song request at just the right moment), and Bret said he wished he could take the guy on tour with them to keep shouting out that phrase.

While I wasn't the one who splashed out $6,000 in the charity auction for the guitar that had been autographed by the boys, I did my part for the school benefit by buying a T-shirt (in the picture below and, yes, I know I need to iron it). It was a real treat to be able to see these guys live and I'm not sure when I may have the chance to do so again. I liked how I also got to see them playing right in their backyard. They joked during the "Humans Are Dead" song that, in the distant future (the year 2000, as they wrote this song a long time ago, haha), Masterton had now become known as MasterTRON.

Yeah, okay, well you had to be there I guess!

Source

yvettiefred
Giving the paper to the people

Postby yvettiefred » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:18 pm

wow, even the ticket looks cool!!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm

I love that guy's blog! And I agree, the ticket is cool. My ticket to the show in Portland is extremely boring.

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:11 pm

The tentatively-titled 'Bret and Jemaine Award' will be awarded at end-of-year prize-givings to the school's most promising young performers,...

http://www.times-age.co.nz/local/news/m ... e/3901730/

The Bret and Jemaine Award! :D
Image Image

Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Ozpot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:36 pm

funny schipperke wrote:The tentatively-titled 'Bret and Jemaine Award' will be awarded at end-of-year prize-givings to the school's most promising young performers,...

http://www.times-age.co.nz/local/news/m ... e/3901730/

The Bret and Jemaine Award! :D

:) I'm really happy for the children of the school, and proud of my kiwis.
ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:06 am

Here are some screencaps I did, thanks to our wonderful mockingbird's gift to us:

Anatomy of an eff-up:

*Oh crap....*
"I ****ed that up..."

"Yeah....just.....You didn't hear that bit..." :heart:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:08 am

This was right after that part, when they were back on track and Jemaine was looking over at Bret and then gave this quick smile that was there and gone: :heart: Bromance.

ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:10 am

I wish we could've seen Bret remove his jumper......he only had it on in the beginning and it looks like he's hot and about to whip it off here, lol:

ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:11 am

Talking about the girls who line up kiss them and how one actually went "Oooooo," :)

ImageImage

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:13 am

For some reason (maybe having a uke) Bret's guitar looks absolutely huge to me here:

ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 am

Oh Laura, thank you.

Those are just wonderful. That last one is my favorite. :love:
Image..Image..Image

4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:36 am

Ah, great caps Laura. Thank you.

btw, love your avatar. You look so cozy, warm & festive with Jemaine. You make such a cute couple. :D Tell me what is in those boxes.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”