Filter Mag

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
User avatar
SheWolf
Boom King!
Posts: 7224
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Filter Mag

Postby SheWolf » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:28 pm

FOTC will be in the edition due out in April:

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=18756&c=1

What's the meaning of this Jemaine? Of course you know the upside to fame is getting to meet all of us lovely folks after your upcoming tour. :yawinkle:
90% evil
ImageImage

kellysouthpaw

Re: Filter Mag

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:53 pm

SheWolf wrote:FOTC will be in the edition due out in April:

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=18756&c=1

What's the meaning of this Jemaine? Of course you know the upside to fame is getting to meet all of us lovely folks after your upcoming tour. :yawinkle:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

User avatar
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot
Posts: 5344
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:35 am

Re: Filter Mag

Postby mockingbird » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Apparently the thrill of getting free desserts has worn off. :lol:

Sherry
Professional Blonde
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:57 am

Re: Filter Mag

Postby Sherry » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Could someone pick me up a copy and mail it over? Please :) I'll pay costs happily.

Same with the April Bust edition if its going. Always good to have a copy.

I may be able to return the favour and send a copy of North & South that featured the Conchords back whenever it was. I have about 5 copies floating round somewhere for some reason :lol: Bret mailed me 2, someone else 1 and a friend sent 2. And I didn't even ask her to buy me one! She thought I'd like it :lol:

User avatar
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby ASmallTurnip » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Sherry wrote:Could someone pick me up a copy and mail it over? Please :) I'll pay costs happily.

Same with the April Bust edition if its going. Always good to have a copy.

I may be able to return the favour and send a copy of North & South that featured the Conchords back whenever it was. I have about 5 copies floating round somewhere for some reason :lol: Bret mailed me 2, someone else 1 and a friend sent 2. And I didn't even ask her to buy me one! She thought I'd like it :lol:

I can grab them for you, Sherry. I'm off to North America for a month on the 10th of April, and will be buying them for myself, so it's no trouble. Are there any other non-American WTFers who'd like me to get them copies? I'd be more than happy to help out my fellow folkers! :D

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

User avatar
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1034
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:49 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby Deirdre » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:03 am

That North and South Magazine is really nice. I have one, sent by an old NZ friend from this site, Becks.

User avatar
Spumony5000
Stop touching the monkeys
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby Spumony5000 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:21 am

I hope the whole article isn't like that. I think it's sad that Jemaine has become so disillusioned.
Do you want to borrow my jumper Bowie?

Image

User avatar
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot
Posts: 5344
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:35 am

Re: Filter Mag

Postby mockingbird » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:58 am

Spumony5000 wrote:I hope the whole article isn't like that. I think it's sad that Jemaine has become so disillusioned.


I know what you mean, but it could've been intended as joke - you know how they goof around in interviews. There's probably some truth to it but hopefully it's not that bad (being famous, I mean.)

User avatar
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:52 am

Re: Filter Mag

Postby dandy lyons » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:54 am

Sherry wrote:Could someone pick me up a copy and mail it over? Please :) I'll pay costs happily.

Same with the April Bust edition if its going. Always good to have a copy.

I may be able to return the favour and send a copy of North & South that featured the Conchords back whenever it was. I have about 5 copies floating round somewhere for some reason :lol: Bret mailed me 2, someone else 1 and a friend sent 2. And I didn't even ask her to buy me one! She thought I'd like it :lol:



I was just about to offer, but it looks like that root vegetable has you covered. ;)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

Sherry
Professional Blonde
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:57 am

Re: Filter Mag

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:36 am

mockingbird wrote:
Spumony5000 wrote:I hope the whole article isn't like that. I think it's sad that Jemaine has become so disillusioned.


I know what you mean, but it could've been intended as joke - you know how they goof around in interviews. There's probably some truth to it but hopefully it's not that bad (being famous, I mean.)


Truth and humour. Bit of both but I do remember they have both expressed a bit of, how to phrase, concern at the whole fame thing many times before. It doesn't sit well with either of them.

My reading of that snippet was that it was more truth than humour. But I guess it will depend on the tone of the entire article and also how they reply to other things.

Sherry
Professional Blonde
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:57 am

Re: Filter Mag

Postby Sherry » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:38 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:
Sherry wrote:Could someone pick me up a copy and mail it over? Please :) I'll pay costs happily.

Same with the April Bust edition if its going. Always good to have a copy.

I may be able to return the favour and send a copy of North & South that featured the Conchords back whenever it was. I have about 5 copies floating round somewhere for some reason :lol: Bret mailed me 2, someone else 1 and a friend sent 2. And I didn't even ask her to buy me one! She thought I'd like it :lol:

I can grab them for you, Sherry. I'm off to North America for a month on the 10th of April, and will be buying them for myself, so it's no trouble. Are there any other non-American WTFers who'd like me to get them copies? I'd be more than happy to help out my fellow folkers! :D


You are a star Turnip :D Thank you, that would be great. Who knows there may be more mag covers coming up as the album launches also :D :pray:

User avatar
ASmallTurnip
-- MASTER CRIMINAL -- Root Vegetable Violence a Specialty
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby ASmallTurnip » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 am

Sherry wrote:You are a star Turnip :D Thank you, that would be great. Who knows there may be more mag covers coming up as the album launches also :D :pray:

Done and done. I'll keep an eye out for any other interesting bits, too. Feel free to poke me if anything else comes up on the horizon. :stick:

Sherry wrote:Truth and humour. Bit of both but I do remember they have both expressed a bit of, how to phrase, concern at the whole fame thing many times before. It doesn't sit well with either of them.

My reading of that snippet was that it was more truth than humour. But I guess it will depend on the tone of the entire article and also how they reply to other things.

I think it also depends on the mood you catch Jemaine in. And on the personality of the person asking the questions. I've noticed that he tends to "shut down" a lot more quickly than Bret or James when the interviewer is a berk - which is not at all a criticism of the J-Dogg. Frankly, I think it's rather refreshing and interesting. I really like how honest Jemaine is, and I think it says something quietly significant about his character, actually.

And I have to say that the boys' unease with fame (free cake aside) is, oddly enough, one of the reasons I like them so much. With a lot of performers you get the sense that they need the attention, that they crave fame, but I have never, ever gotten the sense that Bret or Jemaine require that kind of psychological crutch to do what they do. I think they both like performing, because it's rewarding in itself to bring pleasure to an audience, and it can be kind of an adrenaline rush. But I suspect they'd genuinely get just as much of a buzz doing it for ten of their friends as they would for 10,000 people at Red Rocks. And there aren't many performers that I could say that about. If any.

.:: She's got two jobs. She's a pastry chef and a sniper ::.

User avatar
SheWolf
Boom King!
Posts: 7224
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:24 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby SheWolf » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 pm

I think there is some truth in most of their jokes.

I appreciate how honest Jemaine is and his feelings would be mine in that situation. Frankly, I don't understand why anyone would want to be famous.
90% evil
ImageImage

User avatar
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:16 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby Carol » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 pm

ASmallTurnip wrote:And I have to say that the boys' unease with fame (free cake aside) is, oddly enough, one of the reasons I like them so much. With a lot of performers you get the sense that they need the attention, that they crave fame, but I have never, ever gotten the sense that Bret or Jemaine require that kind of psychological crutch to do what they do. I think they both like performing, because it's rewarding in itself to bring pleasure to an audience, and it can be kind of an adrenaline rush. But I suspect they'd genuinely get just as much of a buzz doing it for ten of their friends as they would for 10,000 people at Red Rocks. And there aren't many performers that I could say that about. If any.

I don't know how you read my mind from all the way across the pond, but you manage to express my sentiments in many of your posts--and much better than I could......It's a wee bit sciry. :nails:
Image

User avatar
trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Filter Mag

Postby trefusis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:34 am

ASmallTurnip wrote:And I have to say that the boys' unease with fame (free cake aside) is, oddly enough, one of the reasons I like them so much. With a lot of performers you get the sense that they need the attention, that they crave fame, but I have never, ever gotten the sense that Bret or Jemaine require that kind of psychological crutch to do what they do. I think they both like performing, because it's rewarding in itself to bring pleasure to an audience, and it can be kind of an adrenaline rush. But I suspect they'd genuinely get just as much of a buzz doing it for ten of their friends as they would for 10,000 people at Red Rocks. And there aren't many performers that I could say that about. If any.


I reckon you've got it right there, Turnip.

On another thread Bibli refers to the guys as "compulsively creative", which really rings true. Not only has the TV show never been "all there is" to FOTC... FOTC never could be all there is to the guys, either together or as individuals. We aren't talking about Wallace and Gromit here. Most of us could sit here right now and list a string of other stuff that each of the guys could move on/back to. Which is pretty amazing, when you think about how FOTC-centric the past few years have been for them. Bret has three different musical projects that I can think of off the top of my head, as well as theatre and dance. Jemaine has his stop-motion interests... the Maori stories... In the middle of all the madness he made a film as well. And that's before we even get started on his music.

So performing and creating is clearly a huge buzz for them. Just woven into their fabric like... like the colours in a home-made pair of pants. But a single-dimensional trajectory towards megastardom - I agree with you. It just doesn't seem ever to have been the point.

How stifling must it be, with all that creativity, to start feeling stalked and hounded and papped and peered at. To have creepy TV guys wanting to know about their wives and babies. To have - ahem - people posting mucky stuff about them on the interwebs. To feel that it's all getting to be about them, rather than about what they've done and what they've created. That kind of thing could just eat you up.

But maybe I'm a hypocrite. When I get these little insights into their experience of fame I really don't like thinking that in my own tiny way I might also be feeding it. The fact is that there are huge numbers of us now who do want to know what they're going to come up with next. But I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to shake off some of the more claustrophobic aspects of their success.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...


Return to “Flight of The Conchords”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

cron