Flight of The Conchords Part 1

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:00 am

kneedragger wrote:I thought you were more of a greenish color (or aqua/smerf!) :angelic: (a very cute green! :comehere: )

Sean

Hee. :lol: I've faded to more of a sickly pale green at the moment. I think one of my home remedies must be doing something. :eh: Though with the weather these days I might start to turn blue. I'll be sure to update you on my skin pigment in the future... :purple: (<--What does this mean? :puzzled: ) And thank you, I've always thought green was my color. :bighug: :dance:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:06 am

Johnnyp wrote:Sherry the "at least 100 CDS" cracked me up.

I laughed at the 100 CDS thing and then asked myself How many CDS do I actually have? After checking...around 130. I thought I was an avid music fan, but I don't think my CD collection stands up to the test. :doomed: :oops:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC

Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:22 am

^HA HA!!!

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:34 am

^Does such a nice job of making one feel all sparkley and accepted. :P

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:56 am

I laughed at the 100 CDS thing and then asked myself How many CDS do I actually have? After checking...around 130. I thought I was an avid music fan, but I don't think my CD collection stands up to the test.

The CDs line had me pondering my own collection, but as I'm constantly searching out CD holders that are both functional and attractive to hold the CD collection of me and the husband-type person, I realize that I have close to 300 CDs at this current time. I've got one half of a 300-CD holder to myself and another setup that holds another 300 or so (which is almost full, just with my CDs). Plus, I've got another that we share that my dad made me, and then there's all the CDs I've gotten in swaps. Um, make that 400 or more. Yikes!

Andria, I think you're making good progress, though. You've got around 10 years to catch up to me, so I think you'll make excellent progress, especially if the Black Seeds keep putting out CDs (and hopefully the Video Kid)! :wink:

In a slightly related story, the first CD I bought was in 1988 or so. It was a double album by Let's Active, a band I'd seen a few times on MTV when I was still living in Florida. I later found out they were actually from North Carolina! Woo! Years later, I actually met the singer of the band at a local bar here in town that some friends of mine owned. We got to chatting, totally cool, and I eventually mentioned the fact about one of their CDs being my first. He was pleasantly surprised and mentioned that they had only released a few hundred of that particular CD. I'm still proud of that fact to this day, for no real reason! :wink: One of my brushes with fame that turned out kind of cool.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:55 am

indigo_jones wrote:Andria, I think you're making good progress, though. You've got around 10 years to catch up to me, so I think you'll make excellent progress, especially if the Black Seeds keep putting out CDs (and hopefully the Video Kid)! :wink:

And Flight of the Conchords! They have to record at least a few more CDs! :pray: With hanging around this forum I have added quite a few CDs to my 'Buy' list. Next time I ask myself Where do I spend all my money?, there will be no doubt. :D
I wonder if CDs will still be around in ten years. :puzzled: Will 'they' invent something else by then? Will MP3s take over? Sorry, Jones has got me analyzing everything now...:mrgreen: :wink:

indigo_jones wrote:In a slightly related story, the first CD I bought was in 1988 or so. It was a double album by Let's Active, a band I'd seen a few times on MTV when I was still living in Florida.

It is very cool that you can actually remember what CD you first purchased! My memory has always sucked regarding such facts, but I think that even someone with a much better memory than mine would think that is quite admirable.
Quite a neat little bit of serendipity that you actually ran into someone from that band. :shock:

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:18 am

It is very cool that you can actually remember what CD you first purchased!

Eh, I think I was 16 at the time, so it's not so much of a feat of memory! :wink: I listened to it on my portable CD player, which was still slightly cheaper than the regular version at the time. Fortunately, I could hook it up to my stero -- my stereo which came with a record player.

But yes, it was really cool to actually meet Mitch Easter(the singer for Let's Active). He was completely normal, down to earth, and fun to talk to. Not the least bit pretentious. If you read that interview, you'll realize that he's worked as a producer for a lot of big names, including R.E.M. and Pavement. Yet he still remains a local.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

Lovelynhot
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Lovelynhot » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:35 pm

Is there a place I can listen too all six without having to download them. I found the link to get the first one it is pretty huge file. I have too much Sim stuff that I doubt I have the room until I get this crap box updated.

Just Pam, Not any Wham Bam Pam

Ain't no party like my nana's tea party

Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:29 am

Lovelynhot wrote:Is there a place I can listen too all six without having to download them. I found the link to get the first one it is pretty huge file. I have too much Sim stuff that I doubt I have the room until I get this crap box updated.

Well, technically, *herm* the show isn't 'out' yet. Certain people are just suave-y enough to 'have it' to listen to. The only way to listen to them at the moment (that I'm aware of), is to download them.

Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:03 pm

Lovelynhot wrote:Is there a place I can listen too all six without having to download them. I found the link to get the first one it is pretty huge file. I have too much Sim stuff that I doubt I have the room until I get this crap box updated.

Shrinking it might solve it.

I'll get back to you. *Goes to find Bloke* :wink:

Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Deirdre » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:08 am

I finally (a week after everyone else) listened to number 1. I was worried that it would be boring to me since I've never "watched" a radio show. I thought I'd lose interest if there weren't any pictures. This is all very embarrassing to admit.

And then I started listening and I was cracking up the whole time. I got so excited everytime I heard terms you all have been referencing for a while, like: "veery heery" and "punching the clown."

I want to listen to it again to catch anything I might have missed like the "over 100 CDs" part and the Asthmatic thing I just read about. This will just have to wait while I hopefully get to listen to number 2 by tomorrow so I can feel caught up with the rest of the crowd. See ya on the Part 2 thread.

dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Re:

Postby dagmar » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you Sherry for reviving the links to the radio version and showing the way to this thread! (The next time I go to London, I'm sure to visit the Chiswick roundabout :yawinkle: )

Sherry wrote:
And that so much of the show was improvised. Off the cuff. I like the thought that the guys just trawled around London, stood under Big Ben and made it up. OK, I am not that daft I think they actually said this stuff without even thinking about it, but that they were not working off a script per se is cool. They make it work. Even when it falters a little in places, it never actually falls apart, and as it moves on to the next scene or person, any lapse is soon forgotten. If anything it all adds to the squirm factor.

Squirm factor? Yes, squirm factor. I have one. Well, its a comedy rating of mine. Of sorts. It comes up often in shows such as The Office and believe it or not, Ellen. You know, those uncomfortable silences, pauses, a line delivered and allowed to fall painfully flat. And you squirm. Because its funny, but ooo its almost uncomfortable.

Love the term 'squirm factor', it's very fitting! FotC are definitely the kings of squirm factor comedy, in the TV series as well. They make you squirm, but they do it in such a nice, benevolent way you just have to love them for making you feel sooooo hot and bothered and uncomfortable!

Having first seen the TV show it was of course interesting to observe how full and well-developed the Conchords universe already seems here - not only the big picture (e.g. Rhys's character), but also many details (Bret's poor little head stuck in a chair). The fact it was largely improvised does make it even more impressing. On the other hand, I'm also impressed how well they managed to bring that squirm factor and off the cuff feeling over to the TV screen. It's really really hard (for me at least) to try and tell apart the scripted/premeditated and improvized parts both on the radio and the TV series. Even though the respective processed of writing, producing and acting must have been pretty different, the end product has a very similar (adorable) feel to it.
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.

The Talking Stove
Giving the paper to the people

Re: Flight of The Conchords Part 1

Postby The Talking Stove » Sat May 02, 2009 8:26 pm

Hadn't heard the radio version before - recognised the Rolf Harris bit, for one, as different to the CD version. V funny!
Have you ever been told that you look like a llama?

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 pm

I'm going to be making a couple of these quotes my signature in the very short future. Just wanted to say that I love them and HOWLED at some of the parts (all of which have been outlined in the thread already - no use rehashing them...well maybe later)

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue May 05, 2009 5:36 am

Listening to #1 now.....it's quite a lot like watching the show. :lol: Brian=Murray. :) So many great lines....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”