"Flight of the who?"

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: "Flight of the who?"

Postby songbird » Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 am

whenever i start telling people about FOTC and they ask who i'm talking about, i always find it hard to explain. i guess it's hard for my friends to understand that my fav band/tv show is "these two guys from new zealand who refer to themselves as 'new zealand's fourth most popular folk parody duo'" hard to get unless you know about them...

i've gotten a couple of friends into it (not NEARLY as obsessed as me though), so at least i can talk about it with them and they're not completely in the dark. for a couple of friends i just started by playing them robots, and they thought it was hilarious, so i played them some other stuff, but the only songs they really seemed to hold on to were robots and hiphopopautomus vs rhymenocerus.

for some other friends who were at my hosue once, i just went on a mad youtube rampage and showed them as many of my fav videos as i could before they got bored. i then proceeded to write them a long list of all of the videos that they had to see in order to appreciate the conchords as much as necessary. by that point they thought i was nuts...i think only one of the friends actually took the time to watch any of the videos. oh well, i guess you can't convert everyone... :?
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

helgecko

Postby helgecko » Sun May 10, 2009 10:33 am

as of the past couple of days my parents are now confirmed fans :D
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby biscuit » Sun May 10, 2009 10:43 am

This is all starting to feel a bit cult-ish to me :lol: We must show the others the true way to salvation, or at the very least a good laugh. I think maybe I'll print upp some youtube suggestions and a couple of photos and start knocking on doors. My first two stops obviously being the Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses 8)

Knock knock "Good morning, Madam. Do you ever worry about the distant future?"
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)

dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Postby dagmar » Sun May 10, 2009 11:11 am

Good one, Biscuit! :rolls:
biscuit wrote:This is all starting to feel a bit cult-ish to me :lol:
Well, they do get often referred to as a "cult" band/series, so...
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun May 10, 2009 11:15 pm

biscuit wrote:Knock knock "Good morning, Madam. Do you ever worry about the distant future?"

:roll2:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby eejm » Mon May 11, 2009 2:44 am

I took my best friend to the Minneapolis concert last week. She really enjoyed Business Time, which didn't surprise me, as it is fairly approachable and straightforward. She also liked Albi, which did surprise me. I've always thought of Albi in the same way as I do Prince of Parties - very funny with the video and in the context of the show, but not as good as stand alones. She wasn't feeling well that night, so I think she'd have been more into it if she hadn't had a bad cold. I suggested renting S1.

I'm trying to get another couple of friends into it. One really liked the clips I showed her on HBO. I offered my S1 episodes for her to watch when she recently went on vacation, but we didn't end up meeting up before she left.

I kind of think of the Conchords as my own "secret." I was very into another HBO cult show a few years ago, and to this day, finding other fans of that show is kind of exhilarating, as we're very rare and there are few casual watchers of it. I sort of like that. While FOTC has a wider appeal, I have sort of the same feeling about it.

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon May 11, 2009 2:58 am

eejm wrote:I kind of think of the Conchords as my own "secret." I was very into another HBO cult show a few years ago, and to this day, finding other fans of that show is kind of exhilarating, as we're very rare and there are few casual watchers of it. I sort of like that. While FOTC has a wider appeal, I have sort of the same feeling about it.

This is how I feel too. I've realized that it's pretty hard to convert people who don't know enought about the Conchords, because it's not something that you can just explain or show throught just a few videos. It takes a long time. And I agree, it's awesome when you hear someone else quoting FOTC and you can say "Omigoodness, are you talking about FOTC? I love them!" Because it's not that often that you find other people who are as into it as you. Other than on these forums of course :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 am

I am proud to say that I think I just recently managed to turn my best friend into a Jemainiac. (Hee, hee, I'm getting converts! Let the re-education begin!) She was over at my house the last two days, and we watched several S1 episodes, loads of stuff on youtube, and when she found out Jemaine was in Eagle vs. Shark, she suggested that we watch it. "Sure!" I said. I actually hadn't seen the movie because my local blockbuster didn't have it, but she had this secret weapon called Netflix downloads, and was able to just log in and get it on the computer immediately! Cool! So, we enjoyed that. It was actually a lot better than I expected.

indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby indigo_jones » Wed May 13, 2009 11:15 am

Back when I first stumbled upon them, I did end up getting my boyfriend interested. It was the One Night Stand show and I had little doubt he'd appreciate them. He's certainly not a regular follower, but he has watched the episodes and would love to see them live, etc.

Otherwise, I haven't actively tried to get lots of friends hooked. I've certainly mentioned them often enough, but I think I haven't tried to turn people on to them, because I don't want to be disappointed if they don't like them. I'm protective that way. I'll talk about stuff often enough, but I tend to leave it up to the individual to then go check them out on their own.

I never have been much into proselytizing, come to think of it.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed May 13, 2009 4:35 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Otherwise, I haven't actively tried to get lots of friends hooked. I've certainly mentioned them often enough, but I think I haven't tried to turn people on to them, because I don't want to be disappointed if they don't like them. I'm protective that way. I'll talk about stuff often enough, but I tend to leave it up to the individual to then go check them out on their own.

Indigo, you sound a lot like me. I kind of threw out a few bones for people to chew on, but so far no one has really bitten, and that's up to them.

Funny thing, I sent a video of Jenny to one of my sisters (we'll call her the 'cool sister') a while back because I knew she'd love it. She did, but didn't ask for more. I never even bothered with my other sister (we'll call her the 'square sister') because, well, we tend not to have the same tastes and when she doesn't like something, SHE DOESN'T HOLD BACK :twisted: . She's also not into, um, well, culture, pop or otherwise.

So the other day, at their request, I sent them both a birthday wish-list and included a couple of FotC items, even though I'd never mentioned them to 'square sister'. Lo and behold, 'square sister' replies with something like: "Flight of the Conchords? I've had the song Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor in my head for the past two weeks!" Needless to say I was :shock: .

Still not sure how to react to that. Knowing her, when I see her and excitedly start gushing about them she'll say, "Ugh, I can't stand them. Just couldn't get that stupid song out of my head." :roll:

RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby RubyRed » Wed May 27, 2009 1:08 am

If I talk about them to someone and they show an interest or they have the kind of sense of humour that I know would "get" the Conchords, I usually ease them in with One Night Stand and my favourite performance of Bowie Song from a NZ chat show. Then I take them into the series. I showed the Sugalumps episode to the guy I went to Saturday's show with first and he loved it.

M

clementine
New arrival

Postby clementine » Sun May 31, 2009 12:11 am

Well i know this is the sort of humour that my mum definitely wouldn't appreciate. I only had to tell one friend that in the past they've been compared to The Mighty Boosh & that was enough to put her off. My other friend keeps telling me she'll watch an episode "When i remember" but she's too much into her type of thing(s) at the moment. So, like many things i'm into i have to enjoy it all alone :boohoo: But not anymore because i have found many many like-minded nut...erm people on this forum 8)

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun May 31, 2009 2:10 am

Can't we just keep them all for ourselves? I know I'm selfish, but there is something really cool about everyone i know not "getting it" and drooling all over them, that appeals to me.

I mean, how great is it that they can still come out and mingle with fans? Not gonna happen if they get too much bigger.

I think they could make a nice living with just the fans they have now. :suckers:
Image..Image..Image

Corrine
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Corrine » Sun May 31, 2009 4:45 am

So far I've just managed to convert my best friend. I did email my colleagues from my old work about them as a video suggestion, within the email I put links to youtube clips, I thought they might enjoy. One of my friends from that email called me back right away to tell me she was already watching and how much she loved them. Didn't hear back from anyone else though. I think a lot of people are too busy to even try. I did manage to get my husband intrigued last time he was at home, and hope to get him through the whole first season next time he's here.

I do agree it would be nice to keep the conchords to ourselves. You don't want to have them get too big. At the same time I think it's just a natural reaction to want to share them with someone. I think that's also why we're all here because we need that comfort of sharing with other like minded people.

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Sun May 31, 2009 5:16 am

I already feel like they are too big. They're by far more mainstream than a lot of the bands I usually like. Yet surprisingly, the last two people I brought up Flight of the Conchords with both said they have heard of them but didn't know who they were.

I mentioned them to my boss on our way to a resource fair last week. I told her that I went out to Vegas to see them and then to LA to see them the next night. I thought she could sympathize with me because she's slightly fanatic about a Beatles tribute group called The Fab Four and would probably travel far distances to see them perform. I think she might check them out now. Currently awaiting her response.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”