"Flight of the who?"

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
clementine
New arrival

Re: "Flight of the who?"

Postby clementine » Sun May 31, 2009 11:22 am

I can see the why some of us would prefer to keep them relatively unknown. Some of us would prefer that but also to have 1 or 2 of their friends share in their awesomeness. And we all think "well i'm only converting a couple of people". However, if all the members on this forum did manage to convert just one of their friends & that one converted another & so on & on then look what might happen! All theoretical of course but not impossible.

eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby eorious » Sun May 31, 2009 11:30 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:Can't we just keep them all for ourselves? I know I'm selfish, but there is something really cool about everyone i know not "getting it" and drooling all over them, that appeals to me.

I mean, how great is it that they can still come out and mingle with fans? Not gonna happen if they get too much bigger.

I think they could make a nice living with just the fans they have now.

I feel the same way, and I know it's selfish of me too. On the other hand, I really can't see anyone I know (outside of these forums) ever getting that into them anyway. Most people I know just aren't that cool. :lol:

And this may be presumptuous of me, but I kinda get the feeling the guys really don't want to get too much bigger anyway. It would demand too much of their time then and prevent them from doing other projects. Even a tour this size seemed to really wipe them out. Plus they seem to have more fun playing smaller venues where they can interact with the crowd. That's just the impression I get, anyway.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:44 am

eorious wrote:Most people I know just aren't that cool. :lol:

:nod: :rolls:
Image..Image..Image

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:28 am

I first show my girlfriends a picture of Jemaine.. usually it gets a "oh Elena you always like those nerdy guys" then I have them watch Jenny or Robots and that usually reels them in..
But I have found that for the most part I am the only one that LOVES them this much! :heart:

Now I get glazed over looks whenever I bring them up.
Well I guess I do talk about them pretty often.. :roll:

I dragged my ex- husband to the show this May and he patiently watched them and patiently waited for us while we waited for the guys to come out (never did though) then he drove us home and when I excitedly asked him how he liked it he said" ehh.. well it was okay" *SIGH* Oh well..
ImageImageImageImage

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:33 am

And this may be presumptuous of me, but I kinda get the feeling the guys really don't want to get too much bigger anyway. It would demand too much of their time then and prevent them from doing other projects. Even a tour this size seemed to really wipe them out. Plus they seem to have more fun playing smaller venues where they can interact with the crowd. That's just the impression I get, anyway.[/quote]
**Sorry I meant to quote Eorious but I did it wrong.. my bad*** ^^^^ up there ^^^^

And THAT'S one of the major reason's why I love them so much! Honestly it is so refreshing to see that they haven't bought into this whole "fame" thing. They keep genuine to what they love to do be darned if it's not the most popular vote. I respect that about them.
ImageImageImageImage

kikiexpress
Giving the paper to the people

Postby kikiexpress » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:02 am

It really started out for me was showing it to my friend who I took to the tour with. A few months before the concert I showed her some of their popular ones (Bowie, Business Time, and some others) and it got her reeled in :D She loves them now which I'm happy about!
I also got one of my other friends into them and she's starting to get really into them :D Were going to have a Season 1 marathon soon because she hasn't seen the show yet but she's watching most of the youtube videos they have.
I get good reactions from people about FOTC but there's always that one person who just thinks their stupid or not even good enough :| One of my guy friends thinks their stupid and he does it as a inside joke to me before since I keep on arguing about it before how they're not haha. But in my french 2 class today I showed them Foux de fa fa and everyone enjoyed it and wanted to see some more from them but my friend kept on saying 'wow..how stupid is this..' and kept on shaking his head..It kinda bugs me but I know he doesn't do it on purpose :) We promised each other were going to watch at LEAST two episodes and see if he enjoys it. Haha hope it works.
ImageImageImage
We are one heart, one mind, one soul.
-Quote of my life

Neeke
Keeping it funky

Postby Neeke » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:54 pm

I shared FOTC with my sister mainly because I treated her to the concert. She liked them. My son thinks they are good and my husband loves the "Business Time" episode. Go figure. :lol: However, that is as far as it goes with them. I don't try to convert anyone really... at least not anymore. I tried to get some of my co-workers into them, but they just didn't seem interested. Some were actually quiet mystified by the fact that I liked them. :lol: This is why I participate in the WTF! forums when I can as well as some of the other social media platforms regarding FOTC. I don't talk about them outside of these arenas.
~Oh, that's not fair...I'm really ticklish~

Enjoy when you can...Endure when you must

songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:24 pm

The only person who shares my obsession is my sister. We both got into the Conchords around the same time, and were both the only ones in my family who seemed to really like them. So it's just us being crazy obsessed. I tried to convert some friends, but slowly realized that it's a hard thing to do, because the type of humour is so distinct that you either love it, or just don't get it. So I've given up on trying to convert people, and sometimes get lucky when I find someone else who knows enough about them to talk about the Conchords with them.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I took two of my girlfriends to see the show in Phoenix. First time Sierra heard of them but Annie discovered them through her son, Zack who is 3.

I watch FOTC with him when he is over. It is interesting to me that somehow these guys are very attrative to little kids. When he comes over he requests to watch: "mermaids" or "fu da fa fa" or "hurt feelings". He sings and dances to their songs. That is how he knows them. I have a E v S poster framed in my home, he comes in and says "Hi Lily, Hi Jemaine".

Ok, so I take his mom to Phoenix show. Now she is hooked. My other friend Sierra was teased by Bret about her silly laugh, now she is totally hooked and has been watching season 1 DVD's. And also proclaiming to be a "Breterosexual".

I figure that is enough of sharing of the guys. I want to keep them my own secret pleasure amongst co-workers.
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:00 pm

My friends all know that I'm a fan but they don't know all of the details. My sister is the only one who knows about my little obsession. We were together in Chicago watching New Fans from our hotel room. That was our first introduction to Flight of the Conchords.

Since then, I've stumbled into fanatic territory while she remains more of a casual fan. I've made it clear that I'm a Jemainiac and I think she would best be categorized as bi-chordian with a slight preference for Bret. But after I invited her to the LA show, she confessed that she was starting to favor Jemaine.

I know what you're thinking but I didn't have anything to do with this. It happened on it's own! I might have had some influence.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

songbird

Postby songbird » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:12 pm

vmh wrote:My friends all know that I'm a fan but they don't know all of the details. My sister is the only one who knows about my little obsession.

That's pretty much exactly like me. My friends know that I'm obsessed, but they don't really know much about this forum, or how I spend my free time doing google-images searches of the guys to find good pics for the photo threads (sssshhh, my secret :oops: ), or that I legitimately have every episode memorized from watching them so many times...they just think I really like them a lot. And I like it that way, I don't want them to know how strong my obsession is. Otherwise I'll just be made fun of :roll:
My sister is the only one who knows about the forums (I show her all of the good media stuff on here, she likes reading the interviews), has the episodes memorized just like me, and will also do the google searches with me when she's bored. Well, we've always been similar... :lol:

Image Image

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Oh, I could not let my co workers know I get on a forum about the lads. :wink:

But I love that "bi-chordian" that is the best... :clap: But I too am a Jemainiac through and through!

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:10 am

I'd feel pretty dorky if others found out about my obsession. I don't mind casually bringing up that I watch the HBO series or that I saw them live a few times. But I don't want people to know that I have all their albums, follow their side projects, collect magazines that they are in, spend hours upon hours on this message board, etc. Being a fanatic isn't considered "cool". My younger sister even rolls her eyes at it. :roll:
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

songbird

Postby songbird » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:17 am

vmh wrote:I'd feel pretty dorky if others found out about my obsession. I don't mind casually bringing up that I watch the HBO series or that I saw them live a few times. But I don't want people to know that I have all their albums, follow their side projects, collect magazines that they are in, spend hours upon hours on this message board, etc.

vmh, we're just on the same page today :D

oh lookie! I'm consistently mediocre! :D Just noticed that now.

Image Image

vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Postby vmh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:26 am

songbird wrote:
vmh wrote:I'd feel pretty dorky if others found out about my obsession. I don't mind casually bringing up that I watch the HBO series or that I saw them live a few times. But I don't want people to know that I have all their albums, follow their side projects, collect magazines that they are in, spend hours upon hours on this message board, etc.

vmh, we're just on the same page today :D

oh lookie! I'm consistently mediocre! :D Just noticed that now.

Congratulations on your new status! I think the next level is David Bowie's Nipple Antenna. Soon, your status will match your location and avatar!

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”