Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
User avatar
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1240
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:30 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby songbird » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 pm

LauraK wrote:Somewhere here I also read that a kebAb in NZ is actually what we call a Gyro here....but of course, they couldn't show them eating a gyro after we'd heard that word, whether it'd been kebOb or kebAb... :lol:

Plus the fact that it rhymed with cab so nicely.....what rhymes with gyro?? :yawinkle:


That interesting, because when I first heard that song, I thought "did they just say kebAb?? Maybe they just pronounce it differently in NZ..."
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

ZebraWarriorPrincess
Posing like a swan
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:37 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby ZebraWarriorPrincess » Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Biro. But that wouldn't have got them back to the apartment. Or to the kebab house in the first place.
It's a psychological analogy

User avatar
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby Amanda » Wed May 27, 2009 11:07 pm

I love how the journalist thinks is the lack of fish what's depriving NewZealand of having Fish tacos..and how the guys are sweet enough to not point out that the country is surrounded by water on 4 sides ..with it being an island and all ..and that usually makes the shortage of fish less of a problem..

How do they manage to look sexy eating tacos?! ..essentially the messiest food known to human kind..
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...

User avatar
prettyrobyngirl
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby prettyrobyngirl » Wed May 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Agreed Amanada.

How can these guys make just about anything look damn sexy? It's a rhetorical question, like what came first, the chicken or the egg? Don't question it, just be happy that they exist....
Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

User avatar
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby Corrine » Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 pm

LauraK wrote:Somewhere here I also read that a kebAb in NZ is actually what we call a Gyro here....but of course, they couldn't show them eating a gyro after we'd heard that word, whether it'd been kebOb or kebAb... :lol:

Plus the fact that it rhymed with cab so nicely.....what rhymes with gyro?? :yawinkle:


I never knew that, so I had to look that up. Apparently, in New Zealand the "kebab" refers to the Doner Kebab, which is similar to a Gyro. Whereas, in the U.S. "kebab" or "kebob" refers to the Shish Kebob, which is always on a skewer. It's an interesting little bit of trivia. I love learning about how the English language changes from country to country.

See the following from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kebab:

Döner kebab, literally "rotating kebab" in Turkish, is sliced lamb, beef or chicken, slowly roasted on a vertical rotating spit. It is similar to gyros and shawarma. Döner kebab is most popularly served in pita bread, as it is best known, with salad, but is also served in a dish with a salad and bread or French fries on the side, or used for Turkish pizzas called pide or "kebabpizza". Take-out döner kebab or shawarma restaurants are common in many parts of Europe. Döner kebab is said to be the best-selling fast food in Germany and Poland[citation needed] as well as being popular in many other European countries, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

Shish kebab (Turkish: ÅŸiÅŸ kebap) is a dish consisting of meat threaded on a skewer, and grilled. Any kind of meat may be used, small cubes of meat, fruit or vegetables are often threaded on the skewer as well. Typical vegetables include eggplant, tomato, bell pepper, onions, and mushrooms.

Shish kebab literally means 'skewered grilled-meat' in Turkish. It was made in the Ottoman Empire and was served to Sultans in those days. Nowadays it can be found in nearly every restaurant in Turkey, and it is very popular around the world.

In most dialects of North American English, the word kebab usually refers to shish kebab.[
Image

User avatar
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life
Posts: 6133
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby Venus » Thu May 28, 2009 12:28 am

Thanks for sharing this video, I hadn't seen it before :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

User avatar
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:52 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby dandy lyons » Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 am

Interesting! So funny how the English language differs although we're (Canada/USA) are so close! Huh. Now I know.
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

User avatar
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby Corrine » Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 am

dandy lyons wrote:Interesting! So funny how the English language differs although we're (Canada/USA) are so close! Huh. Now I know.


So, in Canada if you say "kebab" do you think meat in flatbread or do you think on a stick? I always assume most things in Canada are the same as in the U.S., but maybe not.
Image

User avatar
dandy lyons
Consistently Mediocre
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:52 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby dandy lyons » Thu May 28, 2009 3:41 am

shish kebab = meat on a skewer
Donair kebab or just "kebab" = meat in a flatbread (This side of the country anyways.)

There are quite a few differences that have been pointed out to me. Most recently was how we say "decal". You say "dee-cal" while in Canada we say "deck-al". Strange, but true. ;)
Gar·funk·ling (verb) Funky cuddling with the candles twinkling.

User avatar
RubyRed
Registered Rhymnecologist
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby RubyRed » Thu May 28, 2009 4:15 am

Fish tacos have always kind of freaked me out just because of the ambiguous nature of the fish. They never really tell you what KIND of fish it is...just that it's fried. Ah well, if the guys are brave enough to do, I guess I have no excuses.

It was really cute how they seemed a little surprised that they liked them.

M

User avatar
LauraK
Boom King!
Posts: 8919
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:02 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby LauraK » Thu May 28, 2009 5:30 am

Especially with that perfect temp for bacteria...mmmmm!

I don't like the fact that it's got shredded cabbage instead of lettuce, too...
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

User avatar
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you
Posts: 3910
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby indigo_jones » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 am

silentflighty wrote:
Corrine wrote:Fact #1: Jemaine and Bret state in the above mentioned video that there is a distinct lack of tortillas in New Zealand, making fish tacos impossible to be found.....

Fact #2: Burritos are made with tortillas....

Fact #3: In "A Kiss is not a Contract" they sing "You can buy me a burrito and some beans and rice, but you can't get into man's paradise"...

Therefore, was "A Kiss is not a Contract" directed specifically at grabby-ass American girls?? The girls who live in the country where tortillas are readily available??



Maybe the song was adapted for the American audience. I wonder what the original New Zealand version was.... "you can buy me a hmhmhmhm and some greasy pie"... ?

I say again, you shouldn't consider yourselves true fans until you get the Folk the World CD they put out themselves. Then you'll have your answers. :stick: :wink:

All this talk of shorma and doner kebabs and turkish pizza is making me hungry! All of which are extremely popular here. Hmm. It is lunch time. :hrm: :hrm:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

User avatar
silentflighty
Giving the paper to the people
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:08 pm

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby silentflighty » Thu May 28, 2009 7:04 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I say again, you shouldn't consider yourselves true fans until you get the Folk the World CD they put out themselves. Then you'll have your answers. :stick: :wink:

Yippee my FtW CD just arrived in the post. Soon I'll be a true fan :)
some people climb a ladder to success. we've dug a tunnel to success.

User avatar
Corrine
Consistently Mediocre
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:58 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby Corrine » Thu May 28, 2009 7:15 pm

indigo_jones wrote:I say again, you shouldn't consider yourselves true fans until you get the Folk the World CD they put out themselves. Then you'll have your answers. :stick: :wink:


:oops: Oooops, suddenly embarrassed by the fact that someone deduced that I still don't have the FTW CD. I will get it, I promise, as soon as I can justify some non-essential spending! So, I guess they must have songs on CD's out there with two different sets of lyrics, since the Flight of the Conchords CD (which I did buy) has the burrito line.
Image

User avatar
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot
Posts: 5344
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:35 am

Re: Bret and Jemaine enjoy some lovely Mexican food

Postby mockingbird » Thu May 28, 2009 7:21 pm

It's OK Corrine, I'm not a "true fan" either. :wink: I don't have the money for extraneous purchases right now either - I blew my FOTC budget on my trip to Portland to see them, lol. But indigo is making me feel guilty so I'll have to buy it soon! :lol:


Return to “Flight of The Conchords”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron