Guardian Article/Interview from 2008

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Guardian Article/Interview from 2008

Postby songbird » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Maybe it's because of my peculiarly small hands... :lol:
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image

LikeACurry
Consistently Mediocre

Postby LikeACurry » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:43 am

Great find, thanks for posting the link :)
Very funny when they were describing the comedy show they did together in drama club, I would have loved to seen that, especially Bret with fake breasts :lol:
I liked the interview, you get a sense of how genuinely sweet and funny they really are, which just makes them more sexy :wink:
Oh, it was always "Bowie's bumped into a door..."
ImageImageImage

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:30 am

Ah yes I remember this interview! Thanks for posting it Laura, great to read it again. Haha yes it does make me feel better that Jemaine sees the attention he gets from ladies as 'his dream come true' and you've raised some good points SW about how Jemaine has changed during this North American tour.

It's a well-written piece because she sees things from many of our viewpoints as dedicated fans and it's very insightful such as the stuff about their university drama club. Usually journalists who interview them may be fans but seem to be quite detached but you can tell that Polly is relishing the opportunity to meet the guys and you can almost feel her passion and excitement. She raises good points on why we find them 'sexy' too ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

trefusis
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby trefusis » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:15 pm

I don't know about the flute because, when they did the "Can You Blow Into It Properly?" test in school, I comprehensively - well, blew it.

But I played piano and violin, and there's a huge difference between the two in terms of making the distinction between notes. There are so many fine gradations on a stringed instrument, that just don't exist on a piano. My dh, who only played piano, finds the guitar incredibly difficult, whilst I - although still rubbish at it - don't get quite so confused with finding the notes.

Back on the topic - Polly Vernon is normally very far from being my favourite journalist, but in this case, for once I can fully appreciate and relate to one of her articles.

From a bit earlier on:

4everconchordsfan wrote:It is so way cool to get a glimpse of the real Jemaine & Bret, usually they are in character. It is perfectly understandable why they want to keep it way. We dont really want it to become too much celebrity for them either. Just for their goals & dreams to be fullfilled on a artistic & personal level throughout all their endeavors. They have had some really exciting events in their lives, of course well deseved and with much work on their part, the result has been an absolute treat for us. I only hope that they are often reminded that the outpouring of fans, though it may seem aggressive at times is well intended. They are always so gracious & have been so generous with us while touring that I dont doubt that they do realize that, only it must be hard to live with sometimes. I know that I speak for all of us when I say that we are forever grateful to them for all that they have shared with us.

I completely agree with you.
That's the conclusion that I've come to, but...

curlisue

Postby curlisue » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Oh God, I've just read that interview in the Guardian, can Jemaine be any sweeter? His reactions to the journalist's comments just kill me, how could he be so unaware of the affect he has on people?

He seems to have more of an idea now though, if the live sugalumps "dancing" is anything to go by. Let's hope he's enjoying his new found confidence as we are :D , he's really earned it!
Sometimes when I'm freestyling...I lose confidence

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:31 pm

curlisue wrote:Oh God, I've just read that interview in the Guardian, can Jemaine be any sweeter? His reactions to the journalist's comments just kill me, how could he be so unaware of the affect he has on people?

He seems to have more of an idea now though, if the live sugalumps "dancing" is anything to go by. Let's hope he's enjoying his new found confidence as we are :D , he's really earned it!

Amen, sistah! :clap:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:57 am

curlisue wrote:Oh God, I've just read that interview in the Guardian, can Jemaine be any sweeter? His reactions to the journalist's comments just kill me, how could he be so unaware of the affect he has on people?

I concur wholeheartedly :D
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:35 am

Just reread the whole article, my fave bit...

The point is, you're engaged and therefore not in a position to exploit your growing legions of groupies, I say.

'No,' says Clement.

Bad timing, I say.

'Yeah,' says Clement, downbeat.

McKenzie starts giggling.

'It's terrible being engaged,' says Clement.

'No!' says McKenzie. 'Don't say that!'

Clement laughs his big, loud laugh.

:D

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:40 am

That's so cute. :D All I can say is Miranda must be a very secure person and have a very good sense of humor to put up with all that she does, lol.

Peaches

Postby Peaches » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:19 am

Yup, but she'd be pretty happy too...she married him :D

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

curlisue

Postby curlisue » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:53 am

Peaches wrote:Yup, but she'd be pretty happy too...she married him :D

You are so right Peaches, I could say more but I'm gonna kill my PC with all these dribbles just thinking 'bout it...:drool:
Sometimes when I'm freestyling...I lose confidence

helgecko
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby helgecko » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks for that link Laura :D
I had read that article before, but had forgotten about it. I think it's the best interview with/ article about them that I've read, so sincere, lovely and really funny. Both the guys seem so comfortable and happy in it :D
Are they aware that women - er - appreciate them?

There's a pause.

'Well, we only get a weird sense of what's going on, in terms of the er, fan, er, base, from the internet. But that's a pretty strange view, because ...'

McKenzie tails off.

It's warped? I say.

'Yis!' says Clement.

:oops:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”