Conchords Keep On Flying- Stuff.co.nz

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
vmh
Crying tears of a rapper

Re: Conchords Keep On Flying- Stuff.co.nz

Postby vmh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:58 am

bakergirl30 wrote:The whole article made me uneasy though.. I really can't put my finger on why though.. was it because they quoted Bret's mom??? I dunno

Maybe because the journalist decided to highlight our worst fears! What would happen if they actually did disband? :cry: I think my heart would break a little.

I don't trust everything I read. Journalists could always choose to omit certain information or go back and add OLD quotes to get their point of view across.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”

bakergirl30
Getting lewd with the food

Postby bakergirl30 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:05 am

vmh wrote:
bakergirl30 wrote:The whole article made me uneasy though.. I really can't put my finger on why though.. was it because they quoted Bret's mom??? I dunno

Maybe because the journalist decided to highlight our worst fears! What would happen if they actually did disband? :cry: I think my heart would break a little.

I don't trust everything I read. Journalists could always choose to omit certain information or go back and add OLD quotes to get their point of view across.

Your right about that.
Yeah I don't trust it all either. But then again,would I trust viry much unless it came straight from Jemaine and Bret?? No. :hrmpf:
ImageImageImageImage

kikiexpress
Giving the paper to the people

Postby kikiexpress » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:49 am

Aw don't worry guys they love us too muck for them to quit what their doing with FOTC :D A break is good for them and plus with it they can have more ideas for some funny songs for all of us ;)
But has anyone seen the trailer for the movie Jemaine is going to be for Despicable Me?
I saw it when i went to see Harry Potter and I thought it was cute but when I saw Jemaine's name I literally got excited and shocked at the same time :D
Here's the link for the trailer to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpM7c0uGTes
ImageImageImage
We are one heart, one mind, one soul.
-Quote of my life

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:59 pm

antialiasis wrote:I'm sort of vaguely believing/hoping that the word "disband" was the journalist's invention and possibly misunderstood - in the direct quotes that follow, it seems like Bret's mom is talking only about the TV show, what with relating it to the Emmys, in which case this might refer only to the whole "to do or not to do a third season" thing. But eh, I don't know. In any case, it seems disaster has at least been averted, so...

That's how I understood it too. The journalist probably mistook the fact that Bret was thinking about ending the show after the second season as FOTC disbanding. They may be taking a break and focusing on solo projects but I don't think they've reached the thought of actually disbanding. I'm sure they'll at least continue touring and if they feel the time is right, they could work on a third season.

I agree Laura that they shouldn't feel pressurized to make a third season in a hurry due to the Emmy nominations and the recognition that they're currently getting. I just hope whatever they decide to do makes them happy :)

And just as vmh said, interviewing members of Bret and Jemaine's family isn't new. I'm sure reporters have been trying to get B & J themselves but understandably they probably want to keep a low profile at the moment.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:11 pm

Whew glad you guys talked me down off the roof after reading that. It's really poorly written but I agree that I think disbanded was meant in terms of the show. It seems some people only think of FOTC as a band that exists on TV & not in reality. Whew, yes - they did say they would be back and no - emmy nods should not influence any opinion on a 3rd season and yes- Bret's mum has been interviewed before - on television actually. And whew - she says they will surface soon.

If it's true that Jemaine is in Greece then how can be working on Predicament? :? And more importantly when he returns I hope we can see some pics of him coz I'm sure he'll get one muthaflippin awesome tan. :lol:

Edit: My first signature gif is now moving so fast that it looks like Jemaine might throw a hip out. :lol:
90% evil
ImageImage

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:41 pm

SheWolf wrote:If it's true that Jemaine is in Greece then how can be working on Predicament? :? And more importantly when he returns I hope we can see some pics of him coz I'm sure he'll get one muthaflippin awesome tan. :lol:

Yeah, I wondered the same thing and ditto on the tan. ;) Also, I was psyched to hear about Greece because I have a friend who is over there right now so maybe she'll run into him! Hey, we can dream.

I just hope that whatever they decide to do, they do it because they want to creatively, not just for the money or because HBO pressures them into it. I would be really, really disappointed if they "sold out" (use Brian Nesbitt voice, lol) - I don't *think* they would but they're only human and the temptation must be great.

SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 pm

I won't speculate further on this but it just dawned on me that J was married around this time last year so perhaps Greece is an overdue honeymoon or anniversary trip. Also, it was the place they were originally rumored to be married, before baby news & 2nd season commitments came along.
90% evil
ImageImage

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:00 pm

We wouldn't have the Sistine Chapel without some pope having applied pressure on Michelangelo. The Last Judgement is arguably his greatest work, and he didn't want to do it. I think we can benefit when someone pushes us, because they see potential and talent.

Obviously, they need a personal life and a realistic work schedule, but getting your show picked up for a third season is a good thing. They should be more in the drivers seat for calling the shots on set now too. If the concert was too long, too many shows, too close together...well now they know and can plan the next one more to their liking. The next one...:pray:

I'm personally more worried about them becoming "movie stars" and losing their musical/live comedy dimension. Not to mention that as a duo there is certainly something special there. Rare. I want more.
Image..Image..Image

Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Carol » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:06 pm

Whoa! That kinda threw me for a loop when I first read it. However, I'm now with most of you in thinking she was talking merely of the show and not the band.

I've said all along that I hoped they would take a break from one another (at least the writing etc.) for a time and then come back together when their creative juices are really flowing.

Despite having been together for eleven years, the success of their last tour HAS to show them that they are still providing quality entertainment to people who sincerely enjoy it and them. Would they permanently turn their backs on that? I don't think so. :pray:

I hope they won't do a season three--at least not in the near future. Unless, of course, they decide it's what they want to do. I think, unless money tempts them, that they are far too
independent-minded to let the HBO mucky-mucks talk them into anything they don't feel 100% ready to do.

Let the show fade away--NOT the band.

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:24 pm

SheWolf wrote:If it's true that Jemaine is in Greece then how can be working on Predicament? :? And more importantly when he returns I hope we can see some pics of him coz I'm sure he'll get one muthaflippin awesome tan. :lol:

True that to both points ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

kikiexpress
Giving the paper to the people

Postby kikiexpress » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 am

Hahaha I bet he will :D And I'm wondering how he is working on Predicament if he is in Greece...maybe its for a little vacation and then he's heading back to work possibly.
ImageImageImage
We are one heart, one mind, one soul.
-Quote of my life

Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Ozpot » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:50 am

Carol wrote:Let the show fade away--NOT the band.

Agreed.
If they separated as a band my heart would break. I know they have different projects to work on, but having Bret without Jemaine, Jemaine without Bret, is a sad thing to think about. They're like brothers.

I am no doubt happy for all of Jemaine's new movie work and success. I just worry that he'll be interviewed by more annoying journalists, get caught in the big spotlight, and things could change for our lovable kiwi. I feel like I've watched him grow up, in a way, and I don't want his career to hit a fault. :hug:

Hm. I was thinking about J & B being separated a while back, and felt odd in my heart. They're so talented and hilarious together. I don't want this to be the end.
ImageImage

dagmar
Half a shapely halibut

Postby dagmar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:22 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:I'm personally more worried about them becoming "movie stars" and losing their musical/live comedy dimension. Not to mention that as a duo there is certainly something special there. Rare. I want more.
I want more, too. I'd love to see them live some day (oh you lucky, lucky people living in North America), but I'd love to have more of the televised and fictionalised version of FOTC as well, so it's nice to have some hope for a third season...
Per diem means 'for the day', though... Per weekem would be the correct term.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Maybe this is like that other thread that was floating around where words mean different things in different countries.

For instance

New Zealand: "disband" = American: "stay together and tour the UK and the US again"

Eh? Eh? :D

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:02 pm

:roll2:
Image..Image..Image

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”