Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Postby LauraK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:00 am

Was that a tour poster?

ugh...almost don't want to look at the Simpson's FB page....but I will....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:04 am

Eh, no biggie. To me, it sounds like a lot of young people who don't know who FOTC are and who don't like Glee and would probably complain no matter who The Simpsons had on.

I know there are enough fans who thought it rocked! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:10 am

Did anyone else notice how the beginning of "itty bitty pretty girl" was loosely based on the credit roll tune of Ep 2, The New Cup?

You know, the one - Girls surround me when I'm standing on the soup.... chicken soup? I couldn't remember all the lyrics. :puzzled:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 am

LauraK wrote:To me, it sounds like a lot of young people who don't know who FOTC are and who don't like Glee and would probably complain no matter who The Simpsons had on.

My favorite comment was the one from the guy who said the best part was when "Lisa was rapping with those white dudes", lol. ;)

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:13 pm

One of our old friends from out of town called last night, unfortunately I had already gone to bed but Brandon filled me in on the conversation, part of which went something like this:

J: Dude, I saw Flight of the Conchords on The Simpsons last night! Did Jen see it?
B: Yeah she saw it.
J: What an awesome episode. Did she know they were going to be on it?
B: She's had it circled on the calendar for six weeks. (a slight exaggeration, Bran ;))
J: Oh, ha ha. Does she know that Flight of the Conchords has a TV show, too?
B: Yeah she knows dude. Let's just say, if it's about Flight of the Conchords, she knows about it.

:roll2: "Does she know they have a TV show too"???!!? :roll: :roll: :roll: Does the man know me AT ALL??? :lol: ;)

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:51 pm

This is funny, but my friends who LOVED the FoTC album did not know they had a radio or TV show! I of course loaned them the series, which they also LOVED.

I was a little hunh? at first - I wasn't expecting that much FoTC, and really didn't like the B plot. (I miss the old days when they just had one thing going on, or the B plot was really subordinate to the story). But I thought about it, and watched it again, and just love it. Even ordered it from iTunes! Only 2 hours to load...
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:04 pm

mockingbird wrote:One of our old friends from out of town called last night, unfortunately I had already gone to bed but Brandon filled me in on the conversation, part of which went something like this:

J: Dude, I saw Flight of the Conchords on The Simpsons last night! Did Jen see it?
B: Yeah she saw it.....

:roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

That's 'ucking funny.

MM: So by B plot, you mean the Roman Polanski/Krusty story? I loved it that he was in Holland, but it didn't look or sound very Dutch to me? :dunno: The euro jokes! :lol: I have never seen The Simpsons so I'm sure I missed all kinds of inside jokes, but I giggled hard at the DVD region code gag. :roll2: I also loved the Brontë sisters/brontosaurus thing. :heart: I think I'll watch The Simpsons next week. :)
Image..Image..Image

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks for the reviews/ratings, Venus. Heh heh that last one...he and I had some similar thoughts. Maybe he read my post. :lol: :wink:
Image..Image..Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:
mockingbird wrote:One of our old friends from out of town called last night, unfortunately I had already gone to bed but Brandon filled me in on the conversation, part of which went something like this:

B: Yeah she saw it.....

:roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

That's 'ucking funny.

MM: So by B plot, you mean the Roman Polanski/Krusty story? I loved it that he was in Holland, but it didn't look or sound very Dutch to me? :dunno: The euro jokes! :lol: I have never seen The Simpsons so I'm sure I missed all kinds of inside jokes, but I giggled hard at the DVD region code gag. :roll2: I also loved the Brontë sisters/brontosaurus thing. :heart: I think I'll watch The Simpsons next week. :)

I LOVED the brontosaurus joke. Don't watch it next week! Get seasons 1-3 on Netflix and start off right! I think it held up pretty well until about year 10. Also, you can probably catch up like crazy with local re-runs. And, yeah, their foreign stories are always parodies of what Americans think their countries are like. The Australian episode is pretty hilarious, as is the NYC one.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:28 pm

LOL mock that's hilarious! I'm always polite to people who point out FOTC related things to me I already know since they know I'm a fan but obviously they don't quite know how big a fan I am. :lol:

Show Tracker
What you're watching

Flight of the Conchords meet 'The Simpsons
September 27, 2010 | 4:32 pm

Obsessive fans of Flight of the Conchords — are there any other kind? — have had to settle for repeats of the musical folk duo's HBO show, since singers-songwriters-actors Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement pulled the plug on series TV after two short seasons.

But the Kiwi funnymen popped up on the season premiere of "The Simpsons" on Sunday night doing what they do best: rapping like hyper-literate white boys and living like starving artists in a hipster Springfield borough dubbed Sprooklyn. Nerd nation rejoice!

McKenzie and Clement, with deadpan humor and acoustic guitars at the ready, played counselors as Lisa Simpson lived a summer dream of singing, dancing and acting at a theater camp with fellow geeks or, gleeks, as it were.

Several members of the Fox hit musical, "Glee," also made animated guest appearances on the 22nd-season launch. Cory Monteith, Lea Michele and Amber Riley showed Lisa the ropes at a camp called Expressions by bursting into song, much like they do in their own show. (Why was Riley's cartoon avatar so thin, by the way?)

U.S.-based fans might've caught a glimpse of Grammy winners Flight of the Conchords during live performances or comedy festivals around the country over the past year or so, but their HBO series of the same name lasted just 22 episodes. The musicians announced in late '09 that they wouldn't continue for a third season of the show, which also starred Rhys Darby and Kristen Schaal, in favor of touring, Internet projects and film work.

In an episode dubbed "Elementary School Musical," McKenzie and Clement advise Lisa Simpson to follow her dramatic dreams. (They even got an assist from Stephen Hawking.) She ends up following the guys back to their sad little hovel and their jobs as sandwich artists where they kind of take back everything they said before. Springfield, Bart, Homer and the rest didn't look so bad after that, but Lisa hasn't given up the sax. Check out the clip to see that the guys haven't lost their ironic touch.

-- T.L. Stanley

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:38 am

Venus wrote:
Show Tracker
What you're watching

Flight of the Conchords meet 'The Simpsons
September 27, 2010 | 4:32 pm

Obsessive fans of Flight of the Conchords — are there any other kind? —

:lol: Uh, NO!

U.S.-based fans might've caught a glimpse of Grammy winners Flight of the Conchords during live performances or comedy festivals around the country over the past year or so, but their HBO series of the same name lasted just 22 episodes. The musicians announced in late '09 that they wouldn't continue for a third season of the show, which also starred Rhys Darby and Kristen Schaal, in favor of touring, Internet projects and film work.

Touring... :yay:

Internet projects?!?!?! :hrm: What? I hope that means more than Jemaine spending time on MySpace? :lol:

Film work! :biggrin: Maybe an FotC movie? And I'm still hoping for another TV special of some kind. :pray:

Thanks, Venus!

mohumbhai mania wrote:I LOVED the brontosaurus joke.

Brontë fan, dinosaur fan or lit humor fan?? :D

mohumbhai mania wrote: Don't watch it next week!

:shock: Ok, Ok...I won't. :lol:

mohumbhai mania wrote:Get seasons 1-3 on Netflix and start off right!

Done. 8) I have a feeling it will be my cup of tea. Thanks.
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:22 am

I agree, if you haven't watched The Simpsons before now, start off with basically any of the first ten seasons. It kinda went downhill after that. I can't believe you never watched The Simpsons, nonch! :shock: We used to go to great lengths to make sure we never missed it. :thumb:

We are not "obsessive"! :hrmpf: We're just a little... preoccupied, lol. ;)

They did recent comedy festivals? :hrm: I must have missed that. :dunno:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 am

mockingbird wrote:I can't believe you never watched The Simpsons, nonch! :shock:

I know! :worry: Perhaps the lack of hot men? :hrm:

mockingbird wrote:They did recent comedy festivals? :hrm: I must have missed that. :dunno:

Maybe our writer is a bit confused about the meaning of the word recent. :rolleyes:
Image..Image..Image

mockingbird

Postby mockingbird » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:51 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:
mockingbird wrote:I can't believe you never watched The Simpsons, nonch! :shock:

I know! :worry: Perhaps the lack of hot men? :hrm:

Obviously you've never laid eyes on Troy McClure. :lol: (You'll think that's funny in about two weeks, lol.)

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 am

Is he supposed to be a cross between 60s heartthrobs Troy Donohue and Doug McLure?
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”