Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode
sarpugster
Lost but happy at sea

Re: Coveted Simpsons gig for Conchords

Postby sarpugster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 am

I found this image on Twitter - I couldn't find it in the episode itself buy maybe someone has quicker eyes than me. Or maybe it's Fan art? Either way, I like it! "Stay cool"... and a Hiphopapotamus :D :lol:

It's the show poster for the Phoenix show in 2009.

nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:20 pm

mockingbird wrote:Obviously you've never laid eyes on Troy McClure. :lol:

Being the curious (and impatient) type, I consulted Wiki and giggle/snorted as I merely read about Troy McClure. Aw, Phil Hartman. :(

Anyone know what Season/Episode is the Australian show? (curious/impatient...remember? :wink: )

mockingbird wrote:(You'll think that's funny in about two weeks, lol.)

mock, you crack me up.
Image..Image..Image

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:00 pm

Nancy wrote:Is he supposed to be a cross between 60s heartthrobs Troy Donohue and Doug McLure?

Bingo!!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 pm

That is sooo obscure! Troy Donahue used to have his hair colored by my colorist in LA. Nice guy, but the years were hard on him.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

jaykhunter
New arrival

Postby jaykhunter » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Hey! Just signed up to WTF.net :) Wigged out when I saw two of my favourite things (Conchords and The Simpsons) together at last! I ripped the audio from the episode and here we go! "Artists" by FotC on the Simpsons

http://blip.tv/file/get/Jaykhunter-FotC ... ons918.mp3

pls lemme know if you download/like!

J

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:30 am

Great! Thank so much, jaykhunter! Welcome to the forum. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:46 am

Thanks for posting that, jaykhunter, and welcome!

Introduce yourself and let us know some more about you here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4&start=0
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:30 pm

jaykhunter wrote:Hey! Just signed up to WTF.net :) Wigged out when I saw two of my favourite things (Conchords and The Simpsons) together at last! I ripped the audio from the episode and here we go! "Artists" by FotC on the Simpsons

http://blip.tv/file/get/Jaykhunter-FotC ... ons918.mp3

pls lemme know if you download/like!

J

Welcome jaykhunter. :wave: Your clip is super sharp. Thank you! Now how do I download it? I like that you kept the bit of banter at the start. 8)
Image..Image..Image

Ninjahels
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Ninjahels » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Awesome! Thank you! I like alot!
3 layers mother nature! :lol:

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks, Great H! (and jaykhunter) I got it. It wouldn't download in firefox. :dunno:
Image..Image..Image

ItsAllRyche
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:02 am

that was great, thanks!!!jaykhunter!!!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for that, jaykhunter!! :D
Image Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:09 pm

For those in the UK, this episode is gonna air this Thursday (7th October) at 7.30pm on Sky1. :)
&

nonchalant obsession

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 am

When jaykhunter's clip rotates onto my iPod, the Simpson pic of the guys is displayed. That's cool man. 8) Nice touch! :thumb:

Love your avatar too, btw. (except it doesn't look quite right with Kurt on Ethan's right for some reason) :puzzled:
Image..Image..Image

Venus

Postby Venus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Flight of the Conchords' yellow fever
By Russell Baillie
7:00 AM Thursday Feb 3, 2011

The Simpsons' head honcho Al Jean talks to Russell Baillie about how our favourite folk-singing duo landed in Springfield

MENTORS: FOTC play camp counsellors Kurt and Ethan in The Simpsons. Photo / Supplied

They might look like Bret and Jemaine and they sure do sound like them.

But they are Kurt and Ethan, "counsellors/artistic directors/outreach community liaison" for Expressions Arts Camp, just outside of Springfield.

There, they mentor kids like new arrival Lisa Simpson who has been sent there as a treat while her father and brother help Krusty the Clown pick up his Nobel Peace Prize (which is a whole other story).

Among Kurt and Ethan's lessons to their kids is how to deal with hecklers. Their sample heckle: "I've seen more life in the Wellington Botanic Gardens!" Which leads to a deadpan discussion between the pair - 'if you are not from New Zealand it loses some of its sting" notes Ethan - while both agree said gardens are actually teeming with life.

Welcome to the Flight of the Conchords on opening show of the 22nd series of The Simpsons.

By TimeOut's calculations Jemaine Clement and Bret McKenzie are the third and fourth New Zealanders to appear on the American television institution, following Sam Neill and Lucy Lawless.

"Four out of four million is a pretty good batting average, " notes the show's long-time executive producer Al Jean on the phone about the number of Kiwi cameos versus our population - though the Flight of the Conchords' appear for half the episode which also comes with nods to Glee care of guest voices Lea Michele, Cory Monteith and Amber Riley.

Effectively, it's an animated encore to FOTC's HBO comedy series which they quit after two seasons.

"I'm a huge fan of their show," says Jean "and we're so pleased they let us basically steal the show. We wrote some lyrics and they did the music for a couple of songs. It was a huge part. We just let them come in and do what they do. I really miss that show so we created half an episode for ourselves."

The idea for the storyline, says Jean, came from writer Tim Long who knew another writer whose daughter had gone to arts camp "and came back all artsy fartsy".

That made both a good plot for Lisa and a way to get FOTC aboard as camp counsellors.

Jean is amused to hear that the joke works on another level here - plenty of young Kiwis head to be counsellors at summer camps in the United States.

Though now the longest running primetime television series in American history, The Simpsons still screens, on average, to nearly seven million viewers - far more than the Kiwi duo's cult hit on pay TV channel HBO.

So Clement and McKenzie were effectively playing to a whole new audience. Did the Simpsons faithful get it when it screened there in September last year?

"Leadership is being ahead of your audience a little," says Jean. "I had never seen the Conchords before they were on HBO. I thought it was hilarious. I got it and I think our fans are certainly smart enough to appreciate that. So long as you give them an "in" - a logical reason for them to appear in the episode - and people love music. So that song that they did stands on its own anyway. I was never worried about that. I hope that we would get new fans through them and they would get new fans through us."

Jean has worked on the show for much of its 22 seasons and spin-off feature film which earned more than US$500 at the box office in 2007.

He's been the boss since the late 90s. And no he can't seen any end in sight. Though he notes that the voice cast have just come out of a four-year contract and will be negotiating anew.

"It's got more expensive over the years and if the show ever ended I am sure budget would be the difficulty. Otherwise everything is going very well. I don't anticipate it will end soon.

"As a job goes, it's a wonderful place to be. It does make you think everything that happens, it turns into thinking about the Simpsons, whether it's me my wife or kids - you just kind of run it through that filter.

"I am not looking forward to the day when there is no Simpsons to produce."

Or no parent network to tease - The Simpsons has been merciless in sending up Fox and its right-wing news arm.

"They are great sports - the people at the network that we deal with. We have had [owner] Rupert Murdoch on the show twice. They have never told us not to make fun of them. And the Simpsons would have never existed if it wasn't for Fox."

Yes, sometimes they will get pitched guest appearance ideas from outside. But no, Murdoch has never called to say "that Glenn Beck is actually really funny and needs a way to prove it".

"No nothing like that. The network will say [Glee star] Jane Lynch is interested in being on the show - but Jane Lynch is great and if she wasn't on a Fox show I would want her on the show."

LOWDOWN

What: The Simpsons season opener

Where and when: Four, Sunday 7.30pm

-TimeOut

Source
&

Return to “Flight of The Conchords”